Five Seven in OD Green

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

rodneyt

Five Seven in OD Green

Post by rodneyt » 06 Aug 2012, 09:48

Hello everyone. I am new to the site and hoping someone can help me out. I am looking for the Five Seven pistol in OD green. I understand that they are not making them anymore or possibly reserving them for Law Enforcement. I went to a local gunshow here in Raleigh NC this past weekend and found a dealer who had one left and by the time I could walk around to the other side of the table a guy picked it up and bought it. Talk about being a minute too late. If anyone can help I sure would appreciate it. :D

Rodney.

toyslr

Re: Five Seven in OD Green

Post by toyslr » 06 Aug 2012, 11:26

Color is discontinued from FN, nothing to do with L.E.

Armed Eye Doc

Post by Armed Eye Doc » 06 Aug 2012, 13:39

There appears to be one in the classified section that was available as of yesterday.
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=13133

Bax

Post by Bax » 06 Aug 2012, 21:17

Well thats weird... why would they discontinue OD green?

rodneyt

Post by rodneyt » 07 Aug 2012, 03:37

I'm not sure why they would discontinue this color. When I was at the gun show over the weekend, I talked to several venders and they all said that was the most popular color that everone was asking for and they have to tell people that they can't get it anymore. What a shame. To me it's the best looking color. Hopefully FN will realize this and bring the OD green back.

Thanks Armed eye Doc for the link. I will check it out.

fd57

Post by fd57 » 07 Aug 2012, 04:38

May stem from the fact that it was the least selling color of the three colors available. Black by far is probably number one, followed by FDE, followed by ODG. Pure speculation, but seems logical. If you have a non-seller why keep producing it? And the reality is over the past couple of years for every black or FDE FSN in stock you would see 2-3 ODGs. We saw loads of them in our travels and they weren't popular. Now that they're no longer in production they are popular.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 07 Aug 2012, 10:29

Done the road we will be able to Cerakote frames after we get the slide delays taken car of.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

rodneyt

Post by rodneyt » 07 Aug 2012, 11:54

Thought about buying a black one and sending it off thru Gander Mountain and having it dipped in a camo color like I did my Rem. 11-87. It turned out really well. The gunsmith also said that there is a procedure called DuraCoat to where I could have the black polymere frame treated in the DuraCoat in in a variety of colors such as FN Green, OD Green, CavArms OD Green or BlackHawk OD Green. Has anyone ever seen one done in the DuraCoat?

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 07 Aug 2012, 14:16

Check out the search function, here are 3 threads w/ "duracoat" in the title
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6218" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2939" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But it is mentioned in several others.

Short version - From what I have read, ceracoat is better than duracoat.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

Bax

Post by Bax » 08 Aug 2012, 19:46

Thats funny because I wanted the green PS90 and waited to order it in instead of buying the black model they had in stock!

rodneyt

Post by rodneyt » 09 Aug 2012, 03:41

Thanks Rapier1772 for refering the ceracoat. I've looked at it and it seems to be a pretty good product. I just found a black one at a gun store near my house for $999.00. Talked with the owner yesterday and he is holding it for me til tomorrow. I'm off work on Friday and plan on being there at 8:30 when he opens up and purchase it. Let me get some opinion on this, he has 1 in fixed sights and 2 in adjustable sights. Not sure which one I would really want. What are your opinions?

rodneyt

Post by rodneyt » 14 Aug 2012, 05:06

Well guys, what started out as a possible bad weekend turned out to be a great weekend. Got a call from the wife Thursday around 1:00pm saying the house temp is 80 degrees and no air coming thru the vents and the ac unit was humming. So I left work, went home and found that the motor had locked up. Called a friend and he ordered me the motor and new compactor, switched everything out and by 7:00pm had air again. Me, wife, and daughter went to the Def leppard, Poison, and Lita Ford concert down in Charlotte Saturday night. The place was packed, good weather, and a great concert. Got home Sunday afternoon and all I could think about was the pistol being held for me at the gun store. Went and got it yesterday morning. Can't wait to shoot it. The gun store however is only selling 1 box of ammo to a person since it is hard to get. Regardless, I got the gun and a box of ammo.

Crawfish80

Post by Crawfish80 » 15 Aug 2012, 22:33

:clap:
Rodneyt,

Its a great weapon! What kind of ammo did you get with it?

Not sure how much you follow on here but YES there is a bit of a ammo shortage at the moment. From my digging looks like more should be around by the end of the year!

Good shooting!

rodneyt

Post by rodneyt » 16 Aug 2012, 04:31

Crawfish80,

The only ammo I can find is the 40gr with the blue tip. The gun shop where I bought the gun had 1 case left and they were only selling the ammo 1 box per person for $22.99. Needless to say I have stopped by everyday this week and bought a box so I could have some. When I went in there yesterday he was down to only 3 boxes left and that was at closing time. I've given my wife the money to go by this morning to get me another box before he sells out. I plan on taking it out sometime this weekend to finally shoot it. Can't wait.

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 16 Aug 2012, 06:00

Sportmansguide.com or ammotogo.com

Crawfish80

Post by Crawfish80 » 16 Aug 2012, 20:21

That 40gr blue tip is GREAT AMMO!

Enjoy shooting it! It is amazing just how accurate it is. I put 500 rounds through it in a week. Shoots like a dream!

@toysir,

Thanks for the tips. Just looked and both are sold out. Been looking on line for months for any one that has 5.7 ammo. Most everyone is sold out. Got a couple of leads on people that are suppose to get large shipments in by the end of the year. I have about 10,000 rounds on back order with a couple of different web sites. Only time will see when it will come in.
http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/FNH-5-7x ... s198lf.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Has a picture showing that August 17th...today they should have some green tip 198 ammo. Not the best stuff but it will go down range all the same. I have already tried to place an order with them, still no luck. Its just past midnight east cost time so might have to wait till they update there website in the morning.

If anyone finds anything else let me know. Thanks!