Convince me to drop the $$$ for a FsN

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

Augustus

Convince me to drop the $$$ for a FsN

Post by Augustus » 16 Nov 2008, 00:01

I bet some of you are dying to lay out the facts, and your own opinions on the FsN, and are ready to convince a listening person into buying an FsN. Heres you're chance.

Well, at 20, going on 21, it's time for me to decide what pistol I want for CC. (I already have a CC license, Just need the sucker now.)
The main two that I am looking at are the FsN, and the Glock 20.

I really love the FsN... It's light, low recoil, and damn is it accurate.
The only hitters on it are 1: the price of good ammo, and the availability (off the internet) of the ammo in gun stores. and 2: the price!
Everyone I talk to at gun stores and online (Excluding here, of course) just keeps slamming this in my face : "The FiveseveN is a pellet gun... You hit them 20 times, and they still haven't felt a thing!" I'm smarter than to believe that nonsense, but how do the Elite loads compare the the slamming hit of a decent 10mm load? (10mm hits hard, but recoils sharp... I don't really like hard recoils, especially if I'm under stress trying to save my life.)

Also, what Elite ammo would YOU use for CC self defense? The ProtecTOR or the SuperRapTOR? (I don't want to be shooting at some guy and have the bullet go clean through him and through a wall and into someones unsuspecting face. I'm leaning toward the ProtecTOR off of the info I have so far...)

Also, what are your opinions on the possibility of the 5.7x28 ammo supply drying up? Is it possible?

So for concealed carry purposes, convince me to get the FsN. :?:

dtask

Re: Convince me to drop the $$$ for a FsN

Post by dtask » 16 Nov 2008, 00:18

Honestly, you should be the one convincing yourself of what you should carry for your protection/defense tool. I mean absolutely no offense by saying that, but you should know for yourself what is best for you by taking whatever responses or opinions you do get and then putting them to the test. The pistol you do choose should be your most reliable & the pistol/ammo combo that you can shoot the best with within the perceived scenario in which it would be utilized.

That said, the FiveseveN is a fine pistol and very capable in that hands of a capable shooter and coupled with the offerings from Elite, it's very formidable. I personally carry a .45 ACP, but to each their own. Good luck in your decision

Augustus

Post by Augustus » 16 Nov 2008, 00:34

dtask wrote:Honestly, you should be the one convincing yourself of what you should carry for your protection/defense tool. I mean absolutely no offense by saying that, but you should know for yourself what is best for you by taking whatever responses or opinions you do get and then putting them to the test.
You're right, I SHOULD be the one who convinces myself of what to buy. But, even with all of my hours of research, I still feel that I don't have enough knowledge to make an educated purchase. If I were at a range, and could compare shooting both the Glock 20 and the FsN side by side, then I would know for sure after that which I wanted... But I just don't have that luxury. :wall: I'm here to seek second opinions on the gun itself, and people's opinions on which ammo I would use, should I choose the FsN. I'm simply seeking more info to feed my information hungry mind. I have a bad habit of over-researching things before I buy them...

If there's anyone in central Alabama who would be willing to let me fire a few rounds from their FsN downrage... let me know :laugh:

romer522

Post by romer522 » 16 Nov 2008, 01:15

If your frame is capable of concealing the FsN, then its easily one of the best choices for concealed carry.

The price equation has changed a bit lately. Used to be easy to find ss195 for 17.50 a box from a few dealers, but everybody is either low/out of stock at those prices right now.

As far as Elite Ammunition and what to carry, its really up to personal preference. If I'm actually out and about carrying concealed i like the VarminTOR, for generic defensive shooting i have S4.

If your local gunshop is calling it a pellet gun, be sure not to buy it from them, order it online then transfer through a a competitor of theirs.

Even with ss195 it has compelling ballistics, with Elite Ammunition i consider it to be one of the absolute best defensive weapon/ammunition combinations.

Augustus

Post by Augustus » 16 Nov 2008, 01:25

My local gun shop isn't saying it's a pea shooter, I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to say that to a customers face. They are just trying to point me more towards "traditional" rounds, I guess. He was saying that he was afraid that the ammo may become scarce.

Thanks for your opinion, I hope once everyone wakes up that I'll see more like that.

romer522

Post by romer522 » 16 Nov 2008, 01:57

Ammunition scarcity IS something to be concerned about if your talking end of the world situation, if your somebody that doesn't keep a decent stockpile on hand.

If i didn't have a FsN and was looking to purchase my first right now, i probably wouldn't do it unless i could afford ~1k of ss195 and then have EA turn some of it into some virgin brass S4. Thats looking at it from the application standpoint, from the investment standpoint its different :)

O and welcome to the forum!

romer522

Post by romer522 » 16 Nov 2008, 02:04

As far as finding the best deal, Tanners is where to buy from.

Here is the thread
http://www.57forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1229" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And Here is the gunbroker auction
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =115860471" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dtask

Post by dtask » 16 Nov 2008, 02:22

Augustus wrote: I'm here to seek second opinions on the gun itself, and people's opinions on which ammo I would use, should I choose the FsN.
dtask wrote: That said, the FiveseveN is a fine pistol and very capable in that hands of a capable shooter and coupled with the offerings from Elite, it's very formidable.
:ponder: I guess that I'm confused.

The pistol has many pluses = high capacity magazine, light weight & recoil, inherently accurate & overall just a really nice firearm. It is fairly large, so depending on your size and wether or not you have to tuck in your shirt, concealment may or may not be an issue. There are concerns about it's ability to take out a threat - I personally believe that if you are a shooter, it'll more than do the job. Elite has several offerings to make the pistol even more formidable - from ammunition offerings to trigger adjustment - not to mention a wealth of knowledge about this particular firearm & cartridge that you are participating in right here with this website.

The down side to the FiveseveN is that ammunition is expensive and unless you reload or budget money to use for ammo purchases to keep your skills up, it can get pricey. This is why most owners keep their brass in this caliber (and most others too!) so that either Elite or themselves can reload it to ease the cost burden. As far as the ammo becoming impossible to get or even hard to get, I can't predict the future on that ( again, why I save my brass & reload ). It is not as common a round though as say a .40S&W, a .45 ACP or 9mm , so maybe it's something to consider.

Keep in mind that there are an amazing amount of stories to be told about the "all knowing" shop owner or a gun store patron's knowledge of some unnamed buddy or relative that "works" for FN that told them this or that concerning the pistol/round. Happens all the time.

...and welcome to the forum...

FN ADDICT

Post by FN ADDICT » 16 Nov 2008, 02:36

Another plus about the five seven is its chromed barrel, which hasn't been mentioned yet. Your talking about an extended weapon life, which was a plus for me, and adds to the price. I can practice my butt off with this and not worry. I can also tell you that if you shoot at someone and hit them, it will be very easy to keep doing so fast. The glocks I have tried take some time and practice to get back on target. Last, is there anyone on this forum that can say that they were shot, with any handgun caliber weapon, and kept on moving forward after their target.

Krull

Post by Krull » 16 Nov 2008, 02:37

Well I'm with the "convince yourself" crowd buuuut~

I have a Glock 21 and let me point out one place it may be a bad idea to CCW it:

It's a brick-literally not all that heavy but trying to hide it could be a real pain in the ass,you CAN honestly beat someone to death with a Glock 21 slide,the FsN is....to be honest a rather toy feeling gun,even..."cheap" feeling if you're not used to it.

That may be why folks say it's a pellet gun,it ain't,drop the hammer on a few rounds of even the "low powered" factory stuff and you're gonna be in for a shock!

I dunno how you're gonna carry it but ether a shoulder or inside the pants holster seem the best way.

And don't discount the factory ammo in warm weather with light clothes and there's no way in hell I'd want to catch a SS197,thank you and no disrespect to Elite just don't feel undergunned with the reg stuff.

I'm planning on getting my CCW in the next few months,I'll be taking the FsN and use that for the job,of course my main concern is animals I live in the boonies so I want it if I get stuck on the way home.

abatis

Post by abatis » 16 Nov 2008, 07:01

I have a Glock 23 that is a nice size for a carry and very nice to shoot. Even my 15 year old son can handle the G23. But the FiveSeven is awful fun to shoot, especially with Elite Ammo. If you have the money the Kahrs are also nice and compact. The Polymers are very light.
In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.
- John Adams

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 16 Nov 2008, 07:39

IMHO if you are going to get a 10mm do not get a glock. i was looking into 10mm's and people on here have shown me that the glock can NOT handle a good load of 10mm. the polymer frame can only handle the unpowered loads of the 10mm which makes it no better than a .40. even with the underpowered 10mm loads there are pulses through the frame. i have a glock 23 that i used to carry but now my gf carries it (smallest spare handgun i own that she likes). the FsN is a great gun and has way more potential than most people will give it credit for. but the problem is the people that talk down about it have never shot or looking into ballistics of the round. then the fact that it holds 21 rounds is another plus to it. shot placement will always be key when it comes to stopping the BG, so even a p22 will kill someone with 1 shot to the right spot....me, i carry either my xd45 on my hip and my warthog SOB or i carry the FsN (when i get it back) and the warthog. in my FsN for self defense i have S4's. if you want a 10mm it is recommended to look at EAA for another cheaper brand about the same price as the glock.

stg2ahn

Post by stg2ahn » 16 Nov 2008, 08:40

Get it now or you might never be able to, or be able to at a reasonable price.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 16 Nov 2008, 08:44

Considering what defensive ammo is going for these days for your more common rounds the FiveseveN ammo isn't expensive at all.

stg2ahn

Post by stg2ahn » 16 Nov 2008, 08:49

When you consider the reloading process and labor involved in making EA ammo, that is also another bargain.

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 16 Nov 2008, 08:58

If youre THAT worried about availability, I reccommend taking up reloading. Then you won't have to rely on the availability of anemic factory rounds.

So if you're one of those guys that worries about "know-down" power instead of terminal ballistic performance....remember that SuperRaptors have about 350ft/lbs (not to mention hydrostatic shock effects). This is comparable to some 9mm rounds, but 9mm dont have 3+inch permanent wound cavities.

Since Ive started reloading, Ive created loads that can achieve 400 ft/lbs which exceeds 9mm+p loads and is on par with or better than many .45acp loads (ive also had my fair share of case seperations before learning where where to stop :laugh:) . Thus, a pea-shooter it is NOT! This gun has tremendous potential.

As far a concealing the FsN, I suggest you look into a "bellyband". I like to center the gun on the small of my back so that there is virtually no printing with loose T-Shirts. Any kind of jacket will make it invisible.

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 16 Nov 2008, 12:32

f3rr37 wrote:Considering what defensive ammo is going for these days for your more common rounds the RiveseveN ammo isn't expensive at all.
its far cheaper to get EA ammo as apposed to some self defense .45acp rounds. sure, it is about 40 bucks for a box of S4's but you also get 50 rounds as apposed to 25-30 for 20 rounds ;)

stg2ahn

Post by stg2ahn » 16 Nov 2008, 13:09

Don't get the FiveseveN, that way there is less demand and more supply!!! :p

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 16 Nov 2008, 19:47

I am completely with the 'convince yourself' crowd. Never CC a weapon that you are not comfortable operating in ALL circumstances that may come your way. Enough said.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

5Jeffro7

Post by 5Jeffro7 » 16 Nov 2008, 20:28

and if, in the end, you decide against the 5.7, I'll make you a :furious: deal on a BNIB Glock 20 with about 500 worth of additional parts/accessories (see the classifieds section)
Jeff