Biggest air powered shotgun out there?

The section for big boomers.
iFire
custom title: FsN | PS90

Biggest air powered shotgun out there?

Post by iFire » 20 Feb 2011, 16:21

Whats the biggest air powered (like an air rifle..) shotgun that you've seen? I have friend who really wants an air powered shotgun that would actually work - like for duck hunting.

Anyone ever stumbled across any links, etc? Obviously I googled it for a while but nothing really... However, I found some decent .45 cal air rifles that produced something like 500 ft lbs of energy :laugh:

Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Re: Biggest air powered shotgun out there?

Post by Esteves » 20 Feb 2011, 18:58

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2005/10/ ... farco.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Might be a bit difficult to find, and ducks on the wing would probably just laugh as they flew away)

More from PyramidAir's blog: http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aw ... %2Fblog%2F+" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"air+shotgun"
--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

iFire

Post by iFire » 20 Feb 2011, 19:35

Esteves wrote:http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2005/10/ ... farco.html
(Might be a bit difficult to find, and ducks on the wing would probably just laugh as they flew away)

More from PyramidAir's blog: http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aw ... %2Fblog%2F+" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"air+shotgun"
^ Thanks for the link Esteves - when I was searching I came across an air gun that shot .454 bullets pretty fast... But this in 28 gauge is really interesting. I wonder if its possible to get the gun for the trigger, stock, barrel & bolt - then rip out the air tube assembly and rebuild it to take a lot more pressure and/or volume - maybe run it off a scuba tank or one of those high psi paintball tanks... Then the limiting factor would be the barrel or the bolt or o-rings...

Anyway, it was LLagoud's post that got me thinking about this idea again - Im sure its possible to build something nowadays that would work - it just would be fun... They did it back then, and it even had a magazine, how nice is that!?
Llagoud wrote:We've talked about this air rifle a few times here but this is the first time I've seen it:

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 21 Feb 2011, 05:54

I know, right? I find it amazing that if they can build something like this in 1800, why couldn't the industry have advanced as much as firearms did? Why aren't there still air rifles similar to this today?
Could you imagine an air rifle for survival times/hunting/TEOTWAWKI that was AIR powered?
I thought about this a lot after watching most of that video yesterday. Was sure wishing I had a modern version of that rifle.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

iFire

Post by iFire » 21 Feb 2011, 07:43

Cyberfly wrote:I know, right? I find it amazing that if they can build something like this in 1800, why couldn't the industry have advanced as much as firearms did? Why aren't there still air rifles similar to this today?
I've heard rumors that the major companies wont produce air rilfes too big or too fast out of fear that at some point the Air Rifle industry might get regulated, and the over the counter sales without any paperwork will be gone.

It's a shame they operate in that fear, but for them its all about business - and right now they must be content.

User42

Post by User42 » 27 Feb 2011, 20:35

Easy solution to that. Make a nice air rifle that can fire bullets via air pressure, OR fire live rounds, so it has to be classified as a firearm and not an air rifle. An air rifle like that with 20+ shots on one air tank and I wouldn't even bother with an extractor or feed mechanism for live rounds, just make it breech loadable. However fast and powerful they make it as an air rifle, if its voluntarily classed as a firearm, nobody is going to throw any more regulation on the air rifle industry because of it.
If a man dedicates his life to good deeds and the welfare of others, He will die unthanked and unremembered. If he exercises his genius bringing death and misery to billions, his name will echo down through the millennia for a hundred lifetimes.

Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Post by Esteves » 27 Feb 2011, 21:17

Other countries have already gone the route of restricting airguns. England and Japan come to mind.

Personally, I find all regulations annoying - and some are downright onerous (odoriferous too) especially those that hinder the right to keep and bear arms.
--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Hobknob
Gold Member

Post by Hobknob » 28 Feb 2011, 05:59

Wow, that Girandoni is amazing. And made 70 years before the Henry repeating rifle no less. It would indeed be interesting to see a modern remake of this kind of air rifle.
-- Thank you for calling 911 emergency services, please hold --
~~ \|/ ~~