Eureka.....Loaded 300 Rounds of .338LM and Other Musings

General reloading

Moderator: Grantness

Beecher Tool

Eureka.....Loaded 300 Rounds of .338LM and Other Musings

Post by Beecher Tool » 21 Apr 2013, 20:32

Well....after a two weekends of experimentation and working up load data I found a mix that works. First off...the set up is a Savage Model 111 Long Range Hunter chambered in .338 Lapua Mag. with a Nightforce BEAST 5-25x56 on top. The final load combination is Lapua new brass with 300 grain Laupa Scenar HPBT bullets [#GB528] loaded with 91 grains of Hogdon Retumbo powder and Federal Primers

The reloading set up is a Redding Ultramag single stage press, Redding Competition Titanium Carbide Dies, Redding LR1000 Powder Measure, and a butt load LE Wilson trimming tools and gauges, and a couple of Starrett calipers. I loaded 300 rounds today, and I am definitely going to add a Giraud Power Trimmer and Annealing set up.

All I can say is wow......300 rounds and four lbs of powder. The tally worked out to be $2.59/each for brass, $.89 cents for bullets, and $35/lb for powder which worked out to be $1210 or a touch over $4/round. My expectation is that I will get 7-8 uses out of the brass which ought really drop the pricing. Considering that factory ammo runs $7/round for good stuff its not a bad deal....assuming you ignore my time...

Also....as an aside...I am reloading 9MM, .40S&W, .45ACP, 5.56x45, 7.62.x51 and .338LM....set up being the Redding Ultramag, Hornady LNL Ammo Plant [full automation] for the pistol rounds....all Redding Titanium Carbide dies,and a parallel set of LE Wilson press dies for the rifle calibers...and exclusive of precision instruments my upgrade this winter cost roughly $7K with the last Giraud stuff.

I have been stocking up on brass and bullets as fast as I can find it.....both new expensive brass in the rifle calibers [solely Lapua and Norma brass]...and once fired in 5.56 and 7.62 where I can find it.....pretty much going to reuse the pistol brass I have.....the real concern is powder due to both limitations on what can be stored, and its shelf life...[ finally purchased a commercial powder storage magazine which can go to 150 lbs.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Re: Eureka.....Loaded 300 Rounds of .338LM and Other Musings

Post by flyingirish04 » 21 Apr 2013, 21:42

I stick with the Berger OTM Hybrids. The Scenars don't seem to shoot as well for me with my Imp 40º. They didn't in my old standard Lapua either. SMKs shot best in it, but the OTMs are better in this one.

I do load Retumbo in my LM Imp 40º. My accuracy load is right at 98 gr of Retumbo. Pushes the Bergers at about 2970 fps. Bergers shoot tightest, in the 3s at 1000 yards.

NF is great glass. I stuck with my 5.5-22x50 though on my rig. G7 NXS version. Love it.

And Lapua is the only choice when you can get it in your caliber of choice. Wish they made more chamberings.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.