Let's see your bench!

General reloading

Moderator: Grantness

PainKillaX

Re: Let's see your bench!

Post by PainKillaX » 06 Mar 2013, 23:07

500SWfan wrote:
You've got a Lee handpress! How do you like it? I just ordered one last week along with a half dozen bushings to have something to take with me out in the field when I'm working up new loads.
I've never used a traditional mounted press, but I LOVE it. Portable, easy to use. Mine cost ~$40 and came with a priming tool too. It's definitely nice to just sit on the couch/floor and process brass while you watch tv. I resized 400 pieces of .45 while I watched Locked Up Abroad last night. :laugh: I ended up buying a set of the quick change bushings, not because they're hard to change, but so that I don't have to reset my dies each time. Cheap, light, portable, versatile, and you can write it off as a workout. :)

I actually went the cheap and easy route on a lot of things. I have a Hornady digital scale and powder trickler, Lyman combo case prep tool (chamfer, deburr, and clean primer pockets for $20!), and the Lee measure set. I have the Lee hand held case trimmer. Rough on the hands if you don't toss it in the drill but it was $11. I could really use an actual cleaner but the solution I use now works well enough.

Definitely not the fastest setup but I can fit in all in a box and it won't take me as many rounds to make back my investment cost.

500SWfan

Post by 500SWfan » 07 Mar 2013, 00:02

PainKillaX wrote:
500SWfan wrote:
You've got a Lee handpress! How do you like it? I just ordered one last week along with a half dozen bushings to have something to take with me out in the field when I'm working up new loads.
I've never used a traditional mounted press, but I LOVE it. Portable, easy to use. Mine cost ~$40 and came with a priming tool too. It's definitely nice to just sit on the couch/floor and process brass while you watch tv. I resized 400 pieces of .45 while I watched Locked Up Abroad last night. :laugh: I ended up buying a set of the quick change bushings, not because they're hard to change, but so that I don't have to reset my dies each time. Cheap, light, portable, versatile, and you can write it off as a workout. :)

I actually went the cheap and easy route on a lot of things. I have a Hornady digital scale and powder trickler, Lyman combo case prep tool (chamfer, deburr, and clean primer pockets for $20!), and the Lee measure set. I have the Lee hand held case trimmer. Rough on the hands if you don't toss it in the drill but it was $11. I could really use an actual cleaner but the solution I use now works well enough.

Definitely not the fastest setup but I can fit in all in a box and it won't take me as many rounds to make back my investment cost.
Glad to hear it. I love the simplicity of Lee products. The main reason I went with the Redding Turret press early on was so I could set up for a load and not have to constantly set up the dies again the next time around. I've got three turrets (and need another four or five to take the dies for all the calibers I load), and I'm thinking of changing over to a Lee single stage breech lock press and a whole lot of bushings. I usually buy two or three or four die sets when I start a new caliber (like I'm now doing with the 5.7) so I can keep different dies set up for different bullets, so the interchangeability of the breech lock bushing system would seem to work great for me. For case trimming I have always used the Lee caliber specific trimmer gauges with a battery powered drill, and I can't count the number of hours I've spent trimming cases while sitting there watching TV. Reloading is a process to be enjoyed, not an event to be circumvented :D

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 07 Mar 2013, 03:28

Yep, I like to use the quick-change bushings. A lot cheaper than Hornady's LnL...cant speak as to the quality of the LnL's b/c i've never used one, though.

500SWfan

Post by 500SWfan » 16 Mar 2013, 22:40

I just got my Lee handpress today, and I love it. I spent part of the afternoon resizing about a hundred 50 AE brass while watching TV, and I can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday afternoon (other than shooting). :D

Cwc

Post by Cwc » 17 Mar 2013, 05:32

Finally got the new bench finished. I'll post pics soon.

zonzin

Post by zonzin » 26 Mar 2013, 13:36

My wife was awesome enough to get me this bench from HF for Christmas and let me have a spare room for my cave. Life is good.

Cwc

Post by Cwc » 27 Mar 2013, 17:36

Cwc

Post by Cwc » 29 Mar 2013, 16:26

Working on a die box holder to match the bench now.

Cwc

Post by Cwc » 03 Apr 2013, 19:44

Finished the die holder tonight. The bench is officially complete.

Cwc

Post by Cwc » 03 Apr 2013, 19:45

500SWfan

Post by 500SWfan » 03 Apr 2013, 20:03

NICE!!! It looks like you've got a little too much powder on the upper shelf, though. That could be dangerous. PM me and I'll give you an address to send it to and I'll "store" it for you. :p
Good bench! I may have to imitate that when I finally get around to building my new one.

Cwc

Post by Cwc » 03 Apr 2013, 20:17

Thanks. Turned out to be a 6 month project for me. I'll let you know if I run into a storage problem. Lol

JoJo

Post by JoJo » 04 Apr 2013, 07:35

A clean bench is the sign of a sick mind! :D

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 04 Apr 2013, 10:51

Ryan's new (A different Ryan for those not in the know) work bench for gun smithing. This is where he will break down and do minor prep work for me before I take over and complete the accurizing. Could not handle him sitting in my office at my bench. Plus only one of us could work on them at a time.

Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Cwc

Post by Cwc » 04 Apr 2013, 16:38

JoJo wrote:A clean bench is the sign of a sick mind! :D
I have OCD when it comes to a clean organized bench.

huddleston101

Post by huddleston101 » 04 Apr 2013, 16:44

MAN cwc I wished my bench looked that good, I wouldn't put pictures of my bench on here. mine is like a moped to a mustang by looking at yours but she does gets the job done sloooooowly :D :facepalm:
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.” Thomas Jefferson

Cwc

Post by Cwc » 04 Apr 2013, 21:42

huddleston101 wrote:MAN cwc I wished my bench looked that good, I wouldn't put pictures of my bench on here. mine is like a moped to a mustang by looking at yours but she does gets the job done sloooooowly :D :facepalm:

Thank you for the compliment. I've always heard do what you can with what you've got. Any functional bench is a good bench in my opinion.

Cwc

Post by Cwc » 09 Apr 2013, 16:41

Cwc wrote:
JoJo wrote:A clean bench is the sign of a sick mind! :D
I have OCD when it comes to a clean organized bench.

My friends call me Monk when they come over to compare notes and work on loads.

Spec-K

Post by Spec-K » 23 May 2013, 16:38

Hi guys.
Love this thread!

Here is my setup.
I built it to be portable, so I can bugout with it if needed, but it also works great for taking it inside the house in case its too freezing cold in my garage, I want to be with my family, or if I want to load while using the best stereo. ;)
It's great for going to a buddy's house for a reloading party or a trip out in the woods to work up some loads... A bit excessive... Maybe...! ;)

It has a big enough footprint that it doesn't move around, especially when the side trays are loaded with bullets and built rounds.
The handle also stops right against the wood on a full throw.
-K

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 23 May 2013, 22:28

Spec-K wrote:Hi guys.
Love this thread!

Here is my setup.
I built it to be portable, so I can bugout with it if needed, but it also works great for taking it inside the house in case its too freezing cold in my garage, I want to be with my family, or if I want to load while using the best stereo. ;)
It's great for going to a buddy's house for a reloading party or a trip out in the woods to work up some loads... A bit excessive... Maybe...! ;)

It has a big enough footprint that it doesn't move around, especially when the side trays are loaded with bullets and built rounds.
-K

Cool great idea and execution.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 27 May 2013, 10:01

Spec-K wrote:Hi guys.
Love this thread!

Here is my setup.

-K

Very cool
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

dfosland

Post by dfosland » 25 Oct 2013, 16:51

Yes, I know this a few months gone since the last post here, but figured that since I finally got going reloading the 5.7 round, now would be a good time to document what my bench does look like. Not the cleanest, but a lot less mess on it than normal. Also, for those that care, the reloading block the ammo is sitting in are the primer trays from my BMG reloading, they come in handy when reloading .308 as well, insert the brass neck down to show a primer inserted, makes it easier for QC when working that stuff.

Rodentman

I added a cleaning bench...

Post by Rodentman » 29 Nov 2013, 12:03

Started with one bench but with the purchase of a couple3 of AR15's (and 5.7 upper) I needed a separate cleaning bench so I built this:

This is the original bench and tools area:

Fotis

Post by Fotis » 13 Nov 2017, 13:02

and my reloading partner

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 15 Nov 2017, 06:18

Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 15 Nov 2017, 06:18

Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 15 Nov 2017, 06:27

Allow me to whip it out.................

Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition