Stainless steel tumbling is the real deal

General reloading

Moderator: Grantness

Beecher Tool

Re: Stainless steel tumbling is the real deal

Post by Beecher Tool » 10 May 2013, 08:42

Well.....a first experience with 5.7x28 FNH brass...deprimed, then put into a Branson Ultrasonic 1510...with a 1:10 dilution of Simple Green and a pinch of Lemonshine.....if you look at the cartridges there is a significant breakdown in the lacquer coating. So now the question becomes....use a much more aggressive media to clean them up completely, or just load them up. They are all going into an FSN so I am not so concerned about the galling issue. Here they are Image

The experiment continues.

grimmond
Gold Member

Post by grimmond » 10 May 2013, 19:06

Does Lemonshine have citric acid in it? If it does it is probably what is causing the lacquer to do that.
"Let us never forget that good intelligence saves American lives and protects our freedom."
-Ronald Reagan

Beecher Tool

Post by Beecher Tool » 10 May 2013, 19:37

Thanks for the thought....next batch gets tried without the Lemonshine....however that is clearly the key to getting shiny brass with the uncoated brass.

fd57

Post by fd57 » 10 May 2013, 20:32

How long were they left in the Simple Green solution?

In some experiences more than 10 minutes in Simple Green (especially the concentrated version) has caused the lacquer to peel.

If not the concentrated version of SG and not left in it more than 10 minutes then look to the Lemonshine.

Beecher Tool

Post by Beecher Tool » 11 May 2013, 04:42

If you go back to my post the Simple Green was diluted 10:1..they were left in for an hour with the solution heated and the ultrasonic cleaner on...ten minutes in the solution hardly does anything....I am thinking that the Lemonshine is the more likely culprit.

fd57

Post by fd57 » 11 May 2013, 05:09

Yeah saw it was 1 part SG and 10 parts H2O, but 1 part concentrated SG is different than 1 part regular SG.

Concentrated SG:
http://www.simplegreen.com/products_all ... leaner.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Non-concentrated SG:
http://www.simplegreen.com/products_all_purpose_rtu.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The chemical makeup of the non-concentrate is much less irritating and in the case of lacquer, much less likely to cause it to peel. Hence why the question of which version of SG did you use. Some folks are unaware of the concentrate vs. non-concentrate.

As you've got the ingredients you can perform a simple test with everything - one test same as before but minus the Lemonshine and the second test with Lemonshine but much less time.

Here we use non-concentrate SG one part to ten parts H2O and we simply drop 100 cases in the mixture, gently agitate by hand, then rinse before air drying. For us this more than cleans the cases.

Beecher Tool

Post by Beecher Tool » 11 May 2013, 09:11

I was using the concentrate, and an hour in the ultrasonic cleaner...thanks for the update I will try it...I will be amazed...when I clean 7.62 once fired brass I have been using walnut shell media with a shot of Hornady One Shot Polish for about 90 minutes with 250 cases in the tumbler.....will see what happens....now it will matter since an AR 57 upper came home this morning.