Check these out.

General reloading

Moderator: Grantness

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Check these out.

Post by MikeSantor » 14 Sep 2011, 07:43

So I purchased my Hornady die set used. It was all set up when I got it so I didnt do anything to it but throw it in a Lee single stage and start decapping/resizing. Fast forward to last week. Im 6k deep in decapping and resizing and before I call it quites for the night I decide to dissasemble the die and give it a good clean with oneshot. So I proceed to do so and put everything away.

Prior to me cleaning the die(so the first 6k rounds I did) all the cases looked VERY similar to untouched, once fired brass.

This morning I decided to get through a few hundred rounds since I havent done anything in over a week. So I set my die up and start decapping. This is when I noticed something that seems a little off.

***Side note, in the 6k I have processed so far, I have had approximately 6 necks stick in the die and rip off. I dont know it until I stick the next shell in and press it into the die. This round is notacibly harder to press. After the round comes down I can see the case with the neck pressed over it. I assumed this was from not enough lube and since I only got about 6 out of 6k, I choked it off as normal.

First thing was that in about 20 rounds, I had 4 necks rip off in the die. I relubed by brass twice with one shot. This was the first thing that caught my eye. Then after close inspection I realized that it appeared that the 20 or so that I resized looked different than the rest. 2 distinct things I see are this.

First of all, all the other cases I did (6k of them) have a nice gradual angle and transition from shoulder to neck.
On the ones I did from this morning, there is a very sharp and aggressive transition.

This one could just me being a uneducated, inexperienced new reloader. I may be making this up in my head.

The second thing that I know is happening and isnt just my imagination making me paranoid is the shoulder is moving down and the neck is becoming longer. Why do you think the shoulder moved so much on this small batch and not on the other 6k I did? Is there a direct correlation between the shoulders moving so much and the fact that I have ripped 5 necks off in just 20 rounds?

(L to R) Once fired untouched, Once fired First 6k, Once fired this mornings batch.

LK45s
Gold Member

Re: Check these out.

Post by LK45s » 14 Sep 2011, 18:11

Mike, to me the one on the right looks better than the other 2. Do you have a factory round to stare and compare?
" All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. "

Thomas Jefferson

Thedirtyheat

Post by Thedirtyheat » 07 Dec 2011, 11:48

The one on the very right looks best from here I agree I keep around a factory round to compare when in doubt. Note the shoulder moves alot I cab take and post a pick of a factory round and a piece of once fired brass so you can see if you would like

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 07 Dec 2011, 17:53

The one on the fare right has the die body properly adjusted down. What I see in the future is that 6k being ran again and moving the shoulder the rest of the way down.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 07 Dec 2011, 17:58

panzermk2 wrote:what I see in the future is that 6k being ran again and moving the shoulder the rest of the way down.
...i hate my life.

Thedirtyheat

Post by Thedirtyheat » 07 Dec 2011, 18:17

Also might want to ponder the lube you are using I have heard of people having trouble with one shot (I asune that's what you're using since you mentioned using it to clean the die) I have done over 1k pieces not a ton but never had one issue using lees lube mixed 1:15 with water just dunk the brass in there pull it out and good to go once it dries, other products work great as well just my 2 cents I'm no guru

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 07 Dec 2011, 19:23

6k.

LOOOOOLLLL

That was my contribution, Mike. :p
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 07 Dec 2011, 20:49

Next time your at the shop ask me for lube. I formulated and created my own case lube. It's works better then any other commercially available lube. I know I tried all of them.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 08 Dec 2011, 08:24

panzermk2 wrote:Next time your at the shop ask me for lube.
Do I at least get dinner and a movie first?!? :facepalm:

LOL, Thanks man. I still owe you from the last visit. I have 2 things I want to bring by right after the holidays. Surprises if you will...

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 08 Dec 2011, 10:31

MikeSantor wrote:
panzermk2 wrote:Next time your at the shop ask me for lube.
Do I at least get dinner and a movie first?!? :facepalm:

I still owe you from the last visit.
That would be a good place to stop I think. :laugh: :p
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 09 Dec 2011, 09:55

:puke:
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 09 Dec 2011, 10:03

oh wow.

You guys just never can leave things alone...

GOOD JOB :D
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 23 Nov 2015, 15:50

Not related to the OP but don't wanna make a new thread (again).

Just got an email from Lehigh Defense advertising these:
http://www.lehighdefense.com/products/3 ... 5863378564" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The bullet looks like phillips head screw driver. I wouldn't think that would be much good for defense but what do I know?
From their site:
The XD ammunition has an optimized nose flute, total weight, and velocity to achieve a penetration depth range of 18 inches with a permanent wound cavity (PWC) that is just simply enormous; no other expanding hollowpoint comes close to achieving anywhere near this diameter and volume. Not only is the PWC over 100% larger than any other expanding bullet, it is near barrier blind, ignoring wallboard, sheet metal, and automotive glass.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 24 Nov 2015, 09:45

Rapier1772 wrote:Not related to the OP but don't wanna make a new thread (again).

Just got an email from Lehigh Defense advertising these:
http://www.lehighdefense.com/products/3 ... 5863378564" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The bullet looks like phillips head screw driver. I wouldn't think that would be much good for defense but what do I know?
From their site:
The XD ammunition has an optimized nose flute, total weight, and velocity to achieve a penetration depth range of 18 inches with a permanent wound cavity (PWC) that is just simply enormous; no other expanding hollowpoint comes close to achieving anywhere near this diameter and volume. Not only is the PWC over 100% larger than any other expanding bullet, it is near barrier blind, ignoring wallboard, sheet metal, and automotive glass.

They also have a line of .223 lead free bullets I have been meaning to try out.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition