Zombietools.net blades... Anybody got one?

Discuss the one tool no person should be without - a good knife!
Drayco

Zombietools.net blades... Anybody got one?

Post by Drayco » 14 Jul 2012, 09:06

Due to Ohio laws that my old man has run into, I've found out that it's a fairly bad idea to discharge a firearm over or while on a public road. (Even if it's for self-defense, which was the case.) So, I'm looking into a decent blade for defensive purposes. (Specifically vs. one idiot's uncontrolled, wandering dog.)

So, after reading through viewtopic.php?f=30&t=6744" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and seeing their "Destroying the Deuce" video, I'm seriously eying their "The Spit" as it looks rather versatile and has the ability to stab. (Slashes have speed and power, but they take a bit longer to execute.)

Thus, my question... Anybody here order something from Zombietools.net? How do you like it? Is it worth it? And would it be effective? (That last one had BETTER be a stupid question. If it can destroy cinder blocks, it better go through flesh and bone.)

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Re: Zombietools.net blades... Anybody got one?

Post by Rapier1772 » 14 Jul 2012, 11:11

I do not have one but if I had the extra money I'd consider it. Although I wish they made a Deuce or Phalanx with ~9" handle.

As for carrying bladed weapons - one of the reasons people don't carry swords, spears, battle axes, etc. any more is that they are large and hard to conceal. Are the cops going be ok with you schlepping that around?
Plus, did you see how much the Spit weighed? I don't know how good of shape you're in but wielding a 4.5lb spear could get tiring rather quickly in the event you need to defend against something more than dog (like the dog's owner).

Out of curiosity, have you had any blade fighting training? It's not always as simple as "point & stick" - what happens if you miss? Can you still score a cut or recover in time?

Unless you actually know what you are getting into, I'd recommend bear mace for the mutt (w/gun as backup of course) - at least for now.
If you can get hold of ~4ft of #5 rebar, that give you a decent idea as to the weight & size you'll be dealing with.

(p.s. Finally! Someone who knows the difference between their & there! :laugh: )
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Post by Esteves » 14 Jul 2012, 11:36

Rapier1772 wrote:(p.s. Finally! Someone who knows the difference between their & there! :laugh: )
They're few, and far between...
--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Drayco

Post by Drayco » 14 Jul 2012, 15:42

Dammit... KNEW I was forgetting something...
Rapier1772 wrote: As for carrying bladed weapons - one of the reasons people don't carry swords, spears, battle axes, etc. any more is that they are large and hard to conceal. Are the cops going be ok with you schlepping that around?
Considering that Open Carry IS legal in Ohio, yes. (http://thefiringline.com/library/blades/knifelaws.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; says that the maximum blade length for -concealed- weapons is 4", no limit on openly carried. But seriously, the thing is 48" total. No WAY would one be able to conceal the thing, although it WOULD be scarily impressive.)
Rapier1772 wrote: Plus, did you see how much the Spit weighed? I don't know how good of shape you're in but wielding a 4.5lb spear could get tiring rather quickly in the event you need to defend against something more than dog (like the dog's owner).
Good point, especially since I FORGOT about the owners... (And there we run into the fact that everybody down here OWNS firearms so then it'd be a case of taking a sword to a gunfight. Sure, THEY might get in trouble for shooting over the road, but I'm still looking at a high speed lead injection. And I know their blades are good, but I'd have better chances of winning the lottery than deflecting a bullet.)
Rapier1772 wrote: Out of curiosity, have you had any blade fighting training? It's not always as simple as "point & stick" - what happens if you miss? Can you still score a cut or recover in time?
Yet another thing I've overlooked... I've been trying to find some place online that will cover at-home uses of Aikido (Art focuses on non-lethal moves and does sometimes involve a sword.) but I might have to just try learning Kendo or something. (Yes, I know. Most of the advice online says that learning the moves WITHOUT learning the principles and teachings behind them is pointless.)
Rapier1772 wrote: Unless you actually know what you are getting into, I'd recommend bear mace for the mutt (w/gun as backup of course) - at least for now.
If you can get hold of ~4ft of #5 rebar, that give you a decent idea as to the weight & size you'll be dealing with.
I've heard that mace (Especially the good stuff.) will make a dog back off after getting sprayed. (Parents have looked into it.) But I don't really know how to PRACTICE with the stuff.
Rapier1772 wrote: (p.s. Finally! Someone who knows the difference between their & there! :laugh:)
Was seriously into writing when I was younger. Grammar and homophone knowledge is pretty useful.

EDIT: So... Been a few days... So either Rapier is waiting for me to realize that it's a stupid idea and give up on it, or he got lost looking up "homophones" on Wikipedia. (And my money's on the former.)