Wicked Edge Sharpener.

Discuss the one tool no person should be without - a good knife!
MikeSantor
Gold Member

Wicked Edge Sharpener.

Post by MikeSantor » 11 Mar 2012, 09:46

Has anyone used one of these? My buddy is a dealer for them and they look pretty damn nice. from the demos I have seen with them, they REALLY get a knife sharp and are pretty idiot proof. The only guessing work you have to do is find out what angle the edge is at, lock it in and go. Only problem is, even with a hook up the pro kit is a few hundred bucks. Im thinking it may be worth is since my user folder is $700+ retail. Thank god for EMT discounts....

Anyone ever check one of these systems out?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Re: Wicked Edge Sharpener.

Post by panzermk2 » 11 Mar 2012, 09:58

Never heard of it. I use a 3 station Chef's Choice electric.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Thedirtyheat

Post by Thedirtyheat » 11 Mar 2012, 10:13

I'm still all about stones cheap last forever and once you get good at it you can put about any edge on a blade you want. I have gotten a blade so sharp it could cut letters off a page with just your average set of sharpening stones

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 11 Mar 2012, 12:20

They look similar in concept to the Lansky kits (which work great IMO) but a bit more sturdy. However, I wouldn't pay that much for one :?:
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 12 Mar 2012, 10:24

Rapier1772 wrote:They look similar in concept to the Lansky kits (which work great IMO) but a bit more sturdy. However, I wouldn't pay that much for one :?:
This is EXACTLY what has been said a lot online. A sturdy version of the Lansky. I dont know, I have the type of personality where I usually want to learn the harder, "tried and true" method of doing things. In this case, sharpening with stones, but I just have no interest or time to learn how to put a nice edge on a nice with stones. Not only does this system work fast but with very little practice gets hair shaving sharp. Again, it goes against my personality but I really just feel like paying the extra money for the item that makes me not have to learn something new and work extremely well with little effort. I feel like at this point in my life now that it is getting nice outside id rather spent time outside playing with my kid than in the lab with a box full of crappy knifes and a stone trying to learn how to keep a 22* angle on my knife...

Well that was an extremely long rant. I think im going to do it. If It works as well as it does in the videos and gets knifes ridiculously sharp than I can have people send me there blades for sharpening if they need it...

nrv216

Post by nrv216 » 12 Mar 2012, 18:09

MikeSantor wrote:
Rapier1772 wrote:They look similar in concept to the Lansky kits (which work great IMO) but a bit more sturdy. However, I wouldn't pay that much for one :?:
This is EXACTLY what has been said a lot online. A sturdy version of the Lansky. I dont know, I have the type of personality where I usually want to learn the harder, "tried and true" method of doing things. In this case, sharpening with stones, but I just have no interest or time to learn how to put a nice edge on a nice with stones. Not only does this system work fast but with very little practice gets hair shaving sharp. Again, it goes against my personality but I really just feel like paying the extra money for the item that makes me not have to learn something new and work extremely well with little effort. I feel like at this point in my life now that it is getting nice outside id rather spent time outside playing with my kid than in the lab with a box full of crappy knifes and a stone trying to learn how to keep a 22* angle on my knife...

Well that was an extremely long rant. I think im going to do it. If It works as well as it does in the videos and gets knifes ridiculously sharp than I can have people send me there blades for sharpening if they need it...
Mike,
Sounds cool! Keep us posted! I was just looking for someone I could trust to sharpen some of my blades. I would also like to learn how to do it the old fashioned way but do not have the time. Unfortunately, I don't have the money for one of these systems either so let me know and I would definetly pay to have you sharpen some of my knives.

Just a thought... Would it work on straight razors too or do they have too fine of an edge?

nrv216

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 13 Mar 2012, 07:31

I would think it would work on razors it would just take less swipes and you would probably only use the finer pads but that's a guess. I will ask though.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 13 Mar 2012, 19:54

I wouldn't use it on a straight razor... if you have a hollow ground razor, the edge is set with the angle to the spine. So there is no need to use something like this since you'll always be using the correct angle everytime on a stone. The grits available for this are also too coarse. A popular stone for sharpening straight razors is the Norton 4000/8000 grit water stone: http://www.amazon.com/Norton-Japanese-S ... B0006NFDPI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 14 Mar 2012, 05:32

Thanks for the info Fuz.

These systems are on Hella back order. Im hoping to get my hands on a complete set with ceramic stones by the end of the month if Im lucky... The price is still killing me but my Hinderer is best used as a butter knife at this point.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 14 Mar 2012, 19:49

No problem. :) Straight razors are a much different breed of blades, especially the more common hollow ground razors.