Deformed ammo

Forum for discussing factory & reloading non-5.7x28mm ammunition.
Iberliner2027

Deformed ammo

Post by Iberliner2027 » 27 Sep 2013, 12:28

I just bought a 100 round value pack of Federal Champion .40 S&W 180 grain FMJ. Most of the rounds are rather dirty (also tarnished. Moreso just dull brass) looking, and several rounds have some black gunk on the cases. As I always inspect any ammo upon receipt, I also came across one round that was absolutely NOT a flat point. Now, I don't have a micrometer or anything, as I don't reload, so I can't check to see if it's still in spec, but, I have to the best of my ability compared them to other rounds in the box for OAL, case length, overall diameter, and whatnot. It looks like it'll work just fine, but the fact that I bought flat point ammunition and received something otherwise just bothers me. I googled it for a while to see if Federal makes .40 in round nose and came to no conclusion. There is a minutely flat spot about the size of the head of a pin at the tip of the bullet, but the taper is all wrong. What should I do about this? I've seen other people on other forums that have had rounds that were loaded with the bullet upside down, damaged cases, missing primers, and all sorts of hooplah and it looks like the general consensus is that the company generally replaces a bad round with an entire box.

I'm not sure if it'll let me post the image I took, being as this is one of my first posts

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Re: Deformed ammo

Post by Rapier1772 » 27 Sep 2013, 18:47

IIRC Federal actually makes/distributes ammo for a number of brands. My bet is that one of the FMJ rounds fell into the wrong hopper when they were packaging things.

I'm sure if you contacted them that they would claim it is fine for use. If it bothers you though, you can try pushing for a replacement, good luck.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

Iberliner2027

Post by Iberliner2027 » 27 Sep 2013, 19:22

Well, I paid $31.47 + tax for a hundred rounds. Much better than $19.97 for 50 rounds. I think I'll keep it and start a collection of oddities. Not that I expect to get a buncha crap from premium manufacturers... I just wish prices and availability would go back to even just this time last year. I can't afford to shoot like I want.

Seriously, though, the deformed round looks uniform all the way around, but not knowing why it's jacked up is messing with me. I think I'm just out 33 cents, and acutely disappointed. I worked in a transmission factory for a while and we've seen some really, really messed up parts come back. Everybody is their own QC and three+ people touch each part before packing, but doing the same thing 1100 times a shift leads to going into autopilot and things get missed. I can only imagine how many rounds are manufactured and inspected per shift.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 27 Sep 2013, 19:35

I haven't seen too many round nose .40S&W. Typically all FC I've seen has that standard truncated cones.