Chronographs

Forum for discussing factory & reloading non-5.7x28mm ammunition.
ShockedNKansas
custom title: G0 SH0X

Chronographs

Post by ShockedNKansas » 18 Apr 2011, 13:26

I'm looking at picking up a chronograph and wanted to know what everybody's opinion is on the various brands and models. I am looking for a good value without a lot of bells and whistles. I've seen a lot of "Chrony's" for under a hundred bucks.

Thanks!

And Blue, if you jump into my thread with a snarky comment about using the search function I'm going to lay you out. I did use the search function... :cya:

SHEEPDOG
Gold Member
custom title: A.K.A. DW

Re: Chronographs

Post by SHEEPDOG » 18 Apr 2011, 13:35

I want to know what Jay uses, if it will stand up to him it will stand up to anything. Besides he makes a living with his. I am going to bet that whatever he uses does not have allot of bells and whistles.

iFire
custom title: FsN | PS90

Post by iFire » 18 Apr 2011, 14:16

Get the CE ProChrono Digital

http://www.competitionelectronics.com/v ... egory_id=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 18 Apr 2011, 14:34

iFire wrote:Get the CE ProChrono Digital

http://www.competitionelectronics.com/v ... egory_id=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That one's pretty secksy Fire and would definitely get me laid at the "Chrony Fashion Show" but what do you think about this cheapo?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/F1-Chronograp ... ku=4382668

69 bux and all 5 and 4 star reviews ain't bad. :)

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 18 Apr 2011, 14:36

iFire wrote:Get the CE ProChrono Digital

This is one of the best for your value. I've used one many times, and have used several hundreds of dollars worth of other Chrony's. For most of your load development this will be fine.

You don't really need a printer or additional posts. A helping hand to write down velocities quickly and a stand/bipod for this Chrony is the winning combination. :thumb:

You shouldn't threaten to "lay out" a moderator.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 18 Apr 2011, 14:47

None they all SUCK. I know I have tried them all. Every single one has problems and massive short comings.

Will you be using this for 5.7x28? That matters.

ALL of the following had upgraded IR screens.

PACT II worlds greatest ever, just ask them they will tell you. It SUCKS the most because it one of the most expensive and works the least. They are very proud of their error detecting software. Well 90% of the time the 22 cal bullet is treated as an error, ignored and filtered out replaced with the muzzle blast that was measured. Don't ever think about using it inside

Competition Electronics PRO one of the best for detecting 22cal bullets. Nice IR screens. Nice laptop interface. Keep it for outside use only and it will last about 6 months. Won't work inside unless blast shield is in place with 2 inch by 2inch hole. Will last 3 months.
6 AND 3 MONTHS YOU SAY! WHY?
All the electronics are in the front of the unit. Muzzles blast from the 5.7x28 destroys it. Even 20 feet away. Inside around 3months it will stop reading and freeze all the time. Very cheap and easy to replace though, oh and you will shoot it but save the guts.Once you have destroyed 2 of them you can normally cobble together one working chrono out of the pile.

Oehler No work with laptop Joe, you go home now. Expensive to keep running

CED Millinuem. What <profanity> rocket scientist decided to run the VERY tiny 18 gauge IR screen power wires up the very narrow screen support arms. Remote box is nice, complicated German over engineered code but usable. Works great with laptop. One flaw photo sensors are so good and the IR our put so strong IR light bounces back off the floor, reflects off bottom of bullet and photo senors never see it.

Chrony Beta Chronograph no matter what color the box is painted. Who ever though multi section rods to hold the screens up should be beaten, beaten until they no longer breath. At least in daylight this thing will work without screens thank God because the same stupid <profanity> who though multi section screen rods was a great idea thought making the plastic ABS screen in self locking three part sections was a great idea also. Just by dropping them one section will break making the other two useless because the smart guy wing commander who designed all three sections to be different with NO interchangeability. OH nice battery install, a 2 year old come up with that? GUI SUCKS. Also electronics are basically loose in the box and open to muzzle blast. See above what 5.7x28 blast does.

RCBS Chrono all the above problems but with the added pleasure of the maker attempting to make it look like a bullet but instead as you shoot over it it looks like a big dick pointing at you.

PVM-21 costs to damn much and ignores fast 22cal bullets. OH did I say it costs to friggin damn much?
]

If I have left out your chronoy don't despair I am sure it's screwed up for me also and I have writers block preventing me from remembering the experience since it's performance was so memorable it did NOT stick out in my mind.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 18 Apr 2011, 14:56

Where do you do your shooting? After I bought mine (the same kind of F1 Chrony at your link) I figured out that I should have gotten the kind that could be used indoors (has its own light source). However, I still haven't shot mine so it doesn't need replacing as yet so I have to wait. I have to respectfully disagree with panzer on the Chrony though but I think I know why. For the weekend reloader, these will most likely last longer; but for a business like EA which pushes the limits of the round on a continual basis, I yield to his knowledge :D

Point 2 - if you have never used a chronograph, you might want to start cheap. This is also dependent on your attention span & how good you are at remembering that your barrel is below your sites/scope. Many people here, including some "professionals", have ended up with bullet holes in their chronos due to a brain fart. It could be an expensive lesson.
Last edited by Rapier1772 on 18 Apr 2011, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 18 Apr 2011, 15:00

I have two ranges. One out door, see the big boom vids I put up and one single lane indoor range. Even with the wall lines with acoustic panels help absorb the blast it's still to much with the 5.7x28 to keep it from rattling them to death.

I hate chronographs.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 18 Apr 2011, 15:12

panzermk2 wrote:None they all SUCK. I know I have tried them all. Every single one has problems and massive short comings.

Will you be using this for 5.7x28? That matters.

ALL of the following had upgraded IR screens.

PACT II worlds greatest ever, just ask them they will tell you. It SUCKS the most because it one of the most expensive and works the least. They are very proud of their error detecting software. Well 90% of the time the 22 cal bullet is treated as an error, ignored and filtered out replaced with the muzzle blast that was measured. Don't ever think about using it inside

Competition Electronics PRO one of the best for detecting 22cal bullets. Nice IR screens. Nice laptop interface. Keep it for outside use only and it will last about 6 months. Won't work inside unless blast shield is in place with 2 inch by 2inch hole. Will last 3 months.
6 AND 3 MONTHS YOU SAY! WHY?
All the electronics are in the front of the unit. Muzzles blast from the 5.7x28 destroys it. Even 20 feet away. Inside around 3months it will stop reading and freeze all the time. Very cheap and easy to replace though, oh and you will shoot it but save the guts.Once you have destroyed 2 of them you can normally cobble together one working chrono out of the pile.

Oehler No work with laptop Joe, you go home now. Expensive to keep running

CED Millinuem. What <profanity> rocket scientist decided to run the VERY tiny 18 gauge IR screen power wires up the very narrow screen support arms. Remote box is nice, complicated German over engineered code but usable. Works great with laptop. One flaw photo sensors are so good and the IR our put so strong IR light bounces back off the floor, reflects off bottom of bullet and photo senors never see it.

Chrony Beta Chronograph no matter what color the box is painted. Who ever though multi section rods to hold the screens up should be beaten, beaten until they no longer breath. At least in daylight this thing will work without screens thank God because the same stupid <profanity> who though multi section screen rods was a great idea thought making the plastic ABS screen in self locking three part sections was a great idea also. Just by dropping them one section will break making the other two useless because the smart guy wing commander who designed all three sections to be different with NO interchangeability. OH nice battery install, a 2 year old come up with that? GUI SUCKS. Also electronics are basically loose in the box and open to muzzle blast. See above what 5.7x28 blast does.

RCBS Chrono all the above problems but with the added pleasure of the maker attempting to make it look like a bullet but instead as you shoot over it it looks like a big dick pointing at you.

PVM-21 costs to damn much and ignores fast 22cal bullets. OH did I say it costs to friggin damn much?
]

If I have left out your chronoy don't despair I am sure it's screwed up for me also and I have writers block preventing me from remembering the experience since it's performance was so memorable it did NOT stick out in my mind.
Fk... this was a depressing post. Do you feel better now? :laugh:

And a lot of nice reviews about this little guy... :(

http://www.walmart.com/ip/F1-Chronograp ... ku=4382668" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was planning on using a chrono for 7.62x39, .380, 9mm, .45, 5.7X28.. you name it. It certainly won't be used commercially. Do you think it would last for infrequent outdoor excursions?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 18 Apr 2011, 15:24

You have no idea how aggravating it is when you drag all crap out, have hundreds of rounds that need testing, get BOTH laptops up and running, your pressure barrel system setup only to have the Chrono act up and screw up you whole day not allowing you to get anything done.

The guts will come loose and like the said the sectioned rods and screens will drive you nuts.

Bang for buck the CE PRO, the standard does not have laptop interface, so make sure to get the PRO it is the best. Make sure to get the IR screens since even on a partially cloudy day you will have miss reads. Even when the LCD screen freezes from the cold the laptop will work interface will work until the battery in the chrono freezes.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

murphies_finest
custom title: King Thread Killer.

Post by murphies_finest » 19 Apr 2011, 05:38

If you dont have a chrony yet I will sell you mine for 20 dollars New In Box! only opened to inspect it!

Visceral_Malice

Post by Visceral_Malice » 19 Apr 2011, 08:15

I have the chrony f1 also and I will agree with Panzer on the frustrating set up. The screen and bars are exceptionally irritating and a mess to try to keep together. Plus, I don't know if this is a glitch with mine, it refuses to read .45's. EVER. It will chrono everything else, but it will not work with .45 acp or colt. Being that was the main thing for which I purchased it, I hate that damn thing.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 19 Apr 2011, 09:14

Visceral_Malice wrote:I have the chrony f1 also and I will agree with Panzer on the frustrating set up. The screen and bars are exceptionally irritating and a mess to try to keep together. Plus, I don't know if this is a glitch with mine, it refuses to read .45's. EVER. It will chrono everything else, but it will not work with .45 acp or colt. Being that was the main thing for which I purchased it, I hate that damn thing.
Interesting, that's the one I have - I use it for my FsN all the time. Next time I take it out to the range I put a couple of .45s through the uprights & see if I get the same error.
murphies_finest wrote:If you dont have a chrony yet I will sell you mine for 20 dollars New In Box! only opened to inspect it!
What kind do you have?

murphies_finest
custom title: King Thread Killer.

Post by murphies_finest » 19 Apr 2011, 09:30

chrony F1 but more news tommorow must inspect to make sure it is what I am actually saying it is.

CenCalSplicer

Post by CenCalSplicer » 22 Apr 2011, 19:13

I bought the chronny "master beta" :D and have successfully tested .308, .45 and 5.7 with it. But I'm guessing from Panzers response that my troubles are jsut around the corner. Oh yeah, I also shot my rear diffuser rod with the FsN, that gun is smokin accurate at 10 feet!!!!!!

iFire
custom title: FsN | PS90

Post by iFire » 23 Apr 2011, 10:16

panzermk2 wrote:You have no idea how aggravating it is when you drag all crap out, have hundreds of rounds that need testing...
Haha, Actually I do... :laugh:

Again, my vote is get the ProChrony Digital...

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 23 Apr 2011, 12:15

Rapier1772 wrote:
Visceral_Malice wrote:I have the chrony f1 also and I will agree with Panzer on the frustrating set up. The screen and bars are exceptionally irritating and a mess to try to keep together. Plus, I don't know if this is a glitch with mine, it refuses to read .45's. EVER. It will chrono everything else, but it will not work with .45 acp or colt. Being that was the main thing for which I purchased it, I hate that damn thing.
Interesting, that's the one I have - I use it for my FsN all the time. Next time I take it out to the range I put a couple of .45s through the uprights & see if I get the same error.
I tried my chrony out with a .45 ACP. I was getting errors at 6' away but moved it out to 10' & it worked fine. I did not realize .45s were that slow. I thought they were around 900fps but these were clocking in 730-750 with a max of 771fps.
Last edited by Rapier1772 on 23 Apr 2011, 18:12, edited 2 times in total.

CenCalSplicer

Post by CenCalSplicer » 23 Apr 2011, 12:31

I chrono'd my current .45 load and got an average of 877 fps out of my G21 and 841 out of my G30 with the chrono set 10' away. I'm using 7.7 grains of Power Pistol and it seems to be pretty consistent for me.

Visceral_Malice

Post by Visceral_Malice » 25 Apr 2011, 08:12

Rapier I'm actually pretty sure mine is defective now, but thanks for checking that out. We shot some 45 colt through it the other day at about 10' and it was reading either 200fps or 1100 fps, either of which is ridiculous.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 25 Apr 2011, 22:09

Visceral_Malice wrote:Rapier I'm actually pretty sure mine is defective now, but thanks for checking that out. We shot some 45 colt through it the other day at about 10' and it was reading either 200fps or 1100 fps, either of which is ridiculous.

Did I mention that I hate Chronographs?
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

CenCalSplicer

Post by CenCalSplicer » 26 Apr 2011, 00:34

panzermk2 wrote:
Visceral_Malice wrote:Rapier I'm actually pretty sure mine is defective now, but thanks for checking that out. We shot some 45 colt through it the other day at about 10' and it was reading either 200fps or 1100 fps, either of which is ridiculous.

Did I mention that I hate Chronographs?

So let me get this straight....You hate chronographs Jay?? I hope I don't get to that place but I'm sure I will if mine starts to work like yours have.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 26 Apr 2011, 21:05

As of today I just finished making my own. Tested it and it works great. Only issue is after reading the bullet it reads 3 additional shots all that are the gas stream even at 10 feet behind it. The chronoy does though measure the speed of the gas vary well as it tapers down to the third reading around 400fps.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 04 Aug 2014, 18:39

I have an F1 Chrony, it normally doesn't take data when inside a building (indoor range) but Chrony has come out with LED light source for it at $88.
I have another project going with Radio Shack light strip and I got to thinking, why wouldn't that work for the chrony? A light is a light right? As long as it's DC, it should work. :ponder:
So I took a couple strips that were set up for the other project & put them on top of the diffusers, shining toward sensors of course. I wired them up to a 12V source (button cell batteries in series) & tried it out with my bow - it worked perfectly.

EDIT: It did not work reliably with 5cm strips (3 LEDs) but it does work with 10cm strips (6 LEDs). It will be brighter if you use an actual 12V battery/power supply instead instead of those daisy chained button cells I was using before.

Reminder - this worked for archery, I have not tried it for firearms yet.