value of used 870?

The section for big boomers.
fzr confused

value of used 870?

Post by fzr confused » 03 Aug 2012, 17:53

there is a person i know that is selling his lightly used 870, unsure of which exact model yet. he says it has about 3 boxes fired through it and just doesnt use it anymore. he is an older man and said he only bought this for when he went duck hunting up north to carry with him for when geese or larger animals depending on where he was going were coming up so he didnt have to switch shells. i trust the guy and all, but have also not seen the gun yet. he said he would like to get 250 for it, seems like its a decent enough deal, but i have never bought a hunting shotgun. i have many 12g's but all for defense, none of them have long barrels or are meant to hunt with lol. i have a lot of buddies that duck hunt a lot, and while i dont think duck hunting is all that exciting (ive also never been) i would also like to hunt more often lol. i am more a fan of hunting things like deer, hogs and turkeys. any know problems with the 870? i know it is a tried and true gun and tons of people love them, but everything can have its flaws. also, seeing as i have never hunted with a shotgun, what should i look for as far as chokes? i do not think i will ever really hunt deer with a shotgun, i am a rifle/handgun fan with that, so just ducks and things along those lines.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Re: value of used 870?

Post by Rapier1772 » 03 Aug 2012, 18:39

My dad had an 870 - pretty sure that thing is older than I am :laugh: (I was supposed to inherit it but mom threw a wrench into that :furious: )
I've used it to shoot trap & hunt doves, turkey, grouse, pheasant, tweety birds & chipmunks. (Ok those last two weren't hunting, they were just dumb enough to bother me while I was hunting.) Oh and bees too!
Never duck hunted, or goose either.
Anyway - as old as that thing is, I have never had a problem with it. Check it out & as long as it's in good condition, I would say it is easily worth $250.
Dad's gun has a full choke on it & I don't think it can be switched out. I think most modern versions can be switched around but if not, go with the full choke.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 03 Aug 2012, 19:09

Thanks! Yea he did mention that it was able to change the choke, said he had a couple chokes too (not sure which) but did not say they were for sale with it. He has a few other 870's so he will prob keep them.

WISCOPROUD
custom title: New Hobby

Post by WISCOPROUD » 04 Aug 2012, 12:04

870 is a good hunting shotgun. $250 sounds like a great deal for barely used. I would think he would supply the chokes w/ purchase. If not you can always get them at a dealer. Each choke is useful for diff styles of hunting. Full choke for longer shots& tight patterns like duck or turkey hunting. If he has owners manual it will identify each choke & describe what they're used for. I would def buy it if in shape seller says it in!!!!

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 04 Aug 2012, 20:01

$250 is a good deal for just about any 870. I wouldn't worry about the "barely used" aspect. I have several, and IMHO, they get better as they get older. They have a few variations that drastically affect the price. The greatest is the remchoke system. If you have a very old old gun with a fixed choke, it will cost you about $250 to put a remchoke barrel on just to change the choke. Most modern 870's are the "Express" version. ALL Express guns have remchokes, and a parkerized finish. The "Wingmaster" version has a shiny blue finish and walnut furniture. Newer Wingmasters have remchokes, older than about 1980, they often have fixed chokes. A parkerized finish is more durable and easy to care for, but many (me) prefer the Wingmaster finish. A new Wingmaster starts at about $700 or more. A new Express is about $350-$400. (here in the west)

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 06 Aug 2012, 07:24

Cool, thanks for the detail explanation on the differences. I got a call in and left him a message. Will try and pick it up sometime this week :)

JoJo

Post by JoJo » 06 Aug 2012, 09:13

The only gun that I have extensive experience shooting is the shotgun. I have used several different brands but the only brand and model to be 100% unfailing is the Remington......namely the "870". A clean "870" for $250.00 is a good deal. I have never had a failure of any kind after LOTS of range time. This is a gun you can stake your life on.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 06 Aug 2012, 11:46

Since I can buy one new for $279, I would not agree with your $250 price tag for used. Granted that is a base model.

A nice wingmaster, $250 all day, in fact I would pay up to $350 depending on condition. A base model, I wouldn't pay more than $200.
Last edited by flyingirish04 on 06 Aug 2012, 11:47, edited 1 time in total.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 06 Aug 2012, 11:47

NLVMike wrote:$250 is a good deal for just about any 870. I wouldn't worry about the "barely used" aspect. I have several, and IMHO, they get better as they get older. They have a few variations that drastically affect the price. The greatest is the remchoke system. If you have a very old old gun with a fixed choke, it will cost you about $250 to put a remchoke barrel on just to change the choke. Most modern 870's are the "Express" version. ALL Express guns have remchokes, and a parkerized finish. The "Wingmaster" version has a shiny blue finish and walnut furniture. Newer Wingmasters have remchokes, older than about 1980, they often have fixed chokes. A parkerized finish is more durable and easy to care for, but many (me) prefer the Wingmaster finish. A new Wingmaster starts at about $700 or more. A new Express is about $350-$400. (here in the west)

Wow, those prices are HIGH.

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 11 Aug 2012, 15:01

so met up with the guy this morning and checked it out. it is an express magnum with wood furniture. it looks in pretty good condition, no scratches or any other blemishes. he gave me 2 chokes, 1 "super choke" that says it is for lead only (so i will not be able to use it lol) and an improved choke. i asked him again how much he was wanting for it, and he said he would like to get 250, but he would take 200. so of course i took it :).

now, as far as chokes, is the improved choke the same as a modified or full choke? he did not call it an improved choke, he said some other weird name? on the choke itself is where i found out it is an improved choke. would this be the choke i would want for ducks?

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 11 Aug 2012, 19:19

Standard chokes are Cylinder, Improved Cylinder, Modified, and Full. Those get progressively tighter. There are various "super" chokes out there, some of which extend the length of the barrel slightly. For ducks and geese, the shots are relatively long range, so I tend to use modified or full choke.

I don't think you will ever be dissappointed with an 870. I can't tell you how many quail hunts I have been on with friends that have the latest semi-auto expensive gun, that isn't working by the end of the day. In 1986 I had a friend lose an extractor on his 870 out in the field. That has been the only failure I have seen in hundreds of outings.

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 11 Aug 2012, 19:58

the super full did extent about 1/2" past the end of the barrel, but at least where i plan to hunt you must use steel shot. so i will purchase a new choke before my first hunt

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 11 Aug 2012, 21:35

$200 is pretty decent, nice work. And everywhere in the country requires steel or heavy shot for migratory waterfowl. No lead allowed.

Black Cloud makes a decent choke and a great load.