Has anyone used a Trijicon RMR?

The section for big boomers.
Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Has anyone used a Trijicon RMR?

Post by Vortec MAX » 12 Oct 2011, 13:35

I was thinking about buying a Trijicon RMR sight for my Benelli M4 shotgun. Has anyone had any experience with these? I have looked for one at all the gun shops I have been to for the last few months and nobody has one. I have never seen one in person. Here is what it looks like:

I would like some feedback before I purchase one sight unseen (no pun intended). Do they suck... or are they the best thing since sliced bread?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

toyslr

Re: Has anyone used a Trijicon RMR?

Post by toyslr » 12 Oct 2011, 13:46

I ran one on my FN Tactical. GREAT optic

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 12 Oct 2011, 15:12

I have the mount on the way for my 870 but so far on the fiveseven its been great. Dropped twice, taken off the fiveseven twoce and still on target. Its still pretty new though. Only got about 700 rounds of 197 and 150 rounds of S4M...

SeaHawkDriver-B
Location: Embarked on 2 acres of floating Soverign US Territory

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 12 Oct 2011, 20:20

They're a quality piece, just about anything Trijicon isn't junk. There are two versions though, a battery-operated red dot, and a tritium/FO operated amber dot that comes in two different MOA dot versions, so pick which one you like first. If the eye relief is longer, say like on a pistol, then get the bigger MOA dot. If its going to be up close to your eye, like on a long gun with a stock, get the smaller MOA dot.

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 14 Oct 2011, 08:46

Thanks for the feedback guys. Seeing the RMR on the FiveseveN gives it scale. I did not realize how small it was. I think I like the size better than an Eotech. I have two Colt AR style rifles and they both have Eotechs on them. The Eotechs seem a little bulky for a shotgun.

Has anyone run one on a shottie? How fast is the target aquisition?

I was thinking about the 3.2 MOA dot. A 4 MOA would be fine too.

Thanks again.

Mike

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 14 Oct 2011, 08:51

I will let you know soon when I get the Pic mount. It is going on my 870 as soon as I do.

Honestly, If I had the money I would get the Leupold Delta point. Its like 25% larger yet still small. does that make any sense...?

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 14 Oct 2011, 09:39

If you are military, the Leupold is cheaper.

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 14 Oct 2011, 09:57

Narrows me out...

What if your a bad ass?

:)

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 14 Oct 2011, 22:02

I have the battery powered RMR, and I can say it lasted 18 months in Mosul, Iraq if that gives you an idea on how well built they are. For my one shotgun I do take my Aimpoint off my one AR upper for turkey hunting, but my SD shotgun just stays normal with ghost ring sights. I think it's safe to assume that you're using your shotgun for SD and not hunting, and I would say it would be a good match up with it.

oddlife
Silver Member

Post by oddlife » 16 Oct 2011, 10:31

I have the battery powered RMR on my 57. It's the one with adjustable brightness. I've shot nearly 200 rounds with it on the gun. It's very rugged and accurate.

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 17 Oct 2011, 09:18

smpsmp wrote:I have the battery powered RMR, and I can say it lasted 18 months in Mosul, Iraq if that gives you an idea on how well built they are.
Was it still working at 18 months, or did it break at that point?
smpsmp wrote:For my one shotgun I do take my Aimpoint off my one AR upper for turkey hunting, but my SD shotgun just stays normal with ghost ring sights. I think it's safe to assume that you're using your shotgun for SD and not hunting, and I would say it would be a good match up with it.
Yes, the Benelli M4 is not a great bird gun. It is for self defense... or home defense.

I think I have decided to try one. Does anyone know where to get one at a good price? I usually buy optics from Optics Planet when I can come across a 10% off coupon. Those are really hard to come by however.

Thanks for all the input.

Mike

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 17 Oct 2011, 09:22

PM me with the one you want and the best price you can find and let me know. I have a few connects. :D

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 17 Oct 2011, 09:46

I just spent a few minutes looking at the Leupold Delta Point sight. That sight looks pretty cool too... and it's cheaper, lighter, and appears to have a larger FOV. It also turns on automatically when it detects motion.

I wonder how tough they are? The housing is made of magnesium.

Is the military using the Leupold sight at all? I know they use the Trijicon RMR.

I thought I had decided on the Trijicon, but I am having second thoughts now.

Does anyone know where the Delta Point is made?

Mike

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 18 Oct 2011, 16:50

Vortec,

The RMR is still working just like the day it was made. The only wear and tear on it is the white lettering on the side of it that said Trijicon has started to wear away (looks like they painted the name on top of the black frame of it), and that was probably from taking the cap on and off so many times.

And I should add I have the battery powered RMR, not the Tritium illuminated one. When you have the cap on it, it turns the power off, and as soon as you take the cap off it turns on. Also the dot does dim in lower light, and will get brighter in day light.

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 28 Oct 2011, 08:32

One more quick question: Can you keep both eyes open when using the RMR and Leupold like you can with an EOTech?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 28 Oct 2011, 09:14

That is the point of them. Both eyes stay open.

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 28 Oct 2011, 21:36

What Mike said.

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 19 May 2013, 18:29

UPDATE: I took my Benelli M4 to the field Saturday. It was raining all day. The water got inside the Trijicon RMR and messed with it. It didn't hurt it... it just acted like a prism and scattered the light from the emitter to the point it was unusable. There were splashes of red light on every raindrop.

Now that it has dried out and I have cleaned the emitter and lens, it works fine again.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Mike

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 20 May 2013, 19:42

I just got my Aimpoint H1 micro sight. Having seen both the Trijicon RMR and the Aimpoint now, I like the Aimpoint better. I think the RMR is better suited for pistols, but the Aimpoint is much better for a shotgun in my opinion. I am putting the Aimpoint on an AR rifle, but I am considering buying another one for my shotgun.

Also, the Aimpoint's LED emitter is inside the tube, sealed from the elements, so I don't think I will have the light refraction issue when it gets wet.

Mike