how short of barell for saiga 12 sbs?

The section for big boomers.
fzr confused

how short of barell for saiga 12 sbs?

Post by fzr confused » 30 May 2011, 11:42

im gathering up some extra cash to finally get my saiga 12 shortened in the next 2 months and was just wondering how short would you go? i have the shark bite muzzle break that i will have fixed to the end of the shortened barrel as well. would you go just past the forearm? while it is there i am going to have them install a folding stock and moving the trigger guard forward, unless this is actually REALLY easy to do yourself? i hear its not "too bad" but knowing me, i will mess it up :(.

Visceral_Malice

Re: how short of barell for saiga 12 sbs?

Post by Visceral_Malice » 30 May 2011, 13:41

I'd probably keep it 10" or so and you will probably have to have the gas system shortened as well.

De-sporterizing is pretty easy. I've done it 3 times now and there are a lot of step by step instructions online. If yours is one of the LRBHO models its way easier than having to deal with that older BHO design. The spring for the bolt lock is the worst part of the entire process. You just move the FCG forward and have to drill out a few rivets. I would recommend using a dremel to cut an X in the rivets then drilling them out because trying to just dremel them is likely to leave you guessing where you are in the cut. Saiga12.com forums have good pictoral tutorials for all this. Or if you have any questions specifically, you can PM me.

Bones
custom title: Bones

Post by Bones » 30 May 2011, 15:04

fzr confused wrote:im gathering up some extra cash to finally get my saiga 12 shortened in the next 2 months and was just wondering how short would you go? i have the shark bite muzzle break that i will have fixed to the end of the shortened barrel as well. would you go just past the forearm? while it is there i am going to have them install a folding stock and moving the trigger guard forward, unless this is actually REALLY easy to do yourself? i hear its not "too bad" but knowing me, i will mess it up :(.
It is very easy to do :thumb: But I am unsure about how short you can go with the gas system as well.

69ranchero351c

Post by 69ranchero351c » 30 May 2011, 19:58

tromix goes down to 8 inch bit it has a shortend gas system.

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 31 May 2011, 08:57

Hmm didn't think about the gas system. The shop I'm taking it to has done quite a few of them so I assume they know what they are doing lol. I just didn't want to sound completely stupid when I went in there and told them what I wanted. Thanks for the replies :)

Mister Freeze
custom title: 159.6

Post by Mister Freeze » 31 May 2011, 09:16

I wouldn't go less than 10". 12 or 14 seems to be pretty useful. I don't have the cash to SBS, but if I did I think I'd only go to 14".

Moving the FCG IS easy. So is adding th stock of your choice. Do it yourself and save $$. I have the Tapco FDE on mine, but me thinks I'd like to have the Ace ARFX-E instead.

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 31 May 2011, 09:52

I was thinking I would like to have it maybe 12" or so including the shark bite. So that's pretty much ~9" shorter than it is now. I have a collapsible stock on it now, but the cheap kind that doesn't move the FCG. Not sure which stock I want yet, I just not I want it as compact as possible since I'm going through the hassle of SBS'ing it, might as well go all out right? Lol

Visceral_Malice

Post by Visceral_Malice » 31 May 2011, 13:53

If you have a dremel and are patient you can install one of those side folding receiver blocks on it that accepts AR stocks. I did it for a buddy of mine and its pretty damned nice. He has the Magpul MOE stock so it folds and collapses. You just have to use a cut off wheel to trim the tang off the back of the receiver, so its kind of permanent.

Mister Freeze
custom title: 159.6

Post by Mister Freeze » 31 May 2011, 18:32

I have an adaptor available that allows the use of an underfolding stock...