Appleseed Shoot

Talk about your favorite longguns here.
bobapunk
Gold Member
custom title: EA's range buddy

Re: Appleseed Shoot

Post by bobapunk » 27 May 2009, 21:38

25 meters (82 feet)

The targets are scaled so that they represent an AQT at 100yd 200yd 300yd and 400yd.

I shot with Irons all weekend. The EOTech is sighted in for 300 meters and I didn't feel like adjusting it.

tejohnson
custom title: a nobody

Post by tejohnson » 13 Sep 2009, 20:28

Cool weekend at another Appleseed in Athens, Ohio. Shot a little .22 I built, and made some improvements to the rifles, and more importantly, myself. We had quite a crew of instructors. Friend of mine shot a perfect 250. Wish I could say the same...

"The Guy" from Illinois even came over. I was pretty lucky to have him work with me and my FNAR. First time I shot it without a bipod, and sling only.

Fun with the HBAR.

One thing that we realized is that wrapping your thumb around the pistol grip probably isn't the greatest thing with this gun. Try putting your thumb on the same side as your trigger finger up on the receiver, keeping the trigger finger pad of your paw (hand) away from the grip. The other thing that blows is the rail should be longer on the bottom side of the hand guard. This would allow a hand stop to be used to make NPOA much easier to obtain.

Shot my Noveske lower with the AR-57 upper. Pretty sweet groups, magazine is a PITA to change out quickly.

Figured I would diversify since the techniques that are taught should allow you to shoot well with any rifle. Suppose I put it to the test this weekend....

If you have not been to one yet, you should certainly try to get out to one. It is something you could take your family too and have a pretty good time.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 13 Sep 2009, 21:33

Sounds like you had a great time... will definitely try to hit one up if there is another one around here.

bobapunk
Gold Member

Post by bobapunk » 14 Sep 2009, 05:47

LOL, The Guy was the Shoot Boss as the Appleseed that I went to on Labor Day Weekend!

He is a great guy!

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 18 May 2013, 21:39

So I just did the first day of this weekend's appleseed shoot. I got worse. Seriously.

I started the day able to hit anything they had us put up but was doing it my way. By the end of the day, with going through all of their steps and trying to listen to the coaches, I couldn't even finish or put the bullets where they were supposed to go.

They did have a couple of good pointers which I will practice from now on but so far, I'm not really impressed. I will let you know tomorrow if it was worth the time & money.

On the plus side, I did get my rifle worked on. 10/22 Takedown has a new trigger & mag release but he couldn't get the auto bolt release to work. He couldn't see why it wouldn't work but we had to put the original back in just to get it to release at all. I thought he had totally broke my rifle there for a bit. Maybe the Takedown uses a different bolt release?
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 19 May 2013, 00:13

We have them at our private range. I've never been.

Then again, I have never been to a shooting class/training. Not that I think I'm beyond learning; I think I have a metric tonne to learn... about everything. They just never get me excited because I fear I get boring teachers.

I think a challenging course would be great to go to; one that allowed me to venture the outdoors and use practical skills and shooting skills... I don't have the resources to do so, right now, that's all.

Keep us updated, D!
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon

Post by jgreenberg01 » 19 May 2013, 04:26

As far as I know the 10/22 uses the same bolt release. I was able to make it auto release by using a dremel to modify it. It stuck for a while until I realized that I had inadvertently missed some of the metal filings when I cleaned it. After that it worked great.

I know it's relatively expensive, especially compared to the price of the gun, but the Timney drop-in trigger gives you the auto release, a MUCH improved mag release plus a 4lb trigger. If you don't have an issue with investing the cas, I'm convinced it's the way to go.

Of course YMMV.
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

bobapunk
Gold Member

Post by bobapunk » 19 May 2013, 04:59

It is not uncommon to see a decline in performance when you try something new/different. It happens in golf, basketball, baseball, shooting...

Just keep practicing!

The first day can be rough and by the end of the day you can get tired and frustrated. Hopefully today you are rested, refreshed, and shooting straight!

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 19 May 2013, 17:53

So day 2 is complete & the best I shot was a 207 (out of 250), just 3 short of getting the Rifleman patch. Weather sucked both days & I was having one problem after another. Even had a squib, luckily I noticed something wasn't right with that shot & it was easy to get out.
But that sling they gave me - AAAAARRRRGGHHH! I hate that thing! :wall: :wall: :wall:
It was more functional for what they were doing than the one I had but it couldn't stay put.
And yes, I will keep practicing. I am even planning on holding "workshops" with ISU's shooting club to get our members familiar with it, maybe some people will want to go to the next one? The instructors were kind enough to give me some extra targets so I'll use them to get club members familiar.
I did have to do a couple of things my way in order to get things to go better but so be it. My way worked better than theirs :p

The history bit was kinda cool, learned some interesting things - like what all school got wrong & how it is kind of similar to some things happening today.

All in all, IMHO - it's worth going to but not at $80. If they can get the price down to $50-$60 then yes, worth it.

Did I mention I hate that damned sling?

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 19 May 2013, 17:58

Oh and the work their guy did on my rifle, put my trigger at 3lb 6.6 ounces. The new mag release he installed also works great. The only problem is the bolt release.
All that only cost me $52. Timneys are $200+ IIRC so I'm good, thanks.

bobapunk
Gold Member

Post by bobapunk » 20 May 2013, 04:03

The Loop Sling will never stay put over a plain cotton tee shirt. That is why competitive high-power shooters use those silly looking shooting jackets! They have padding built into all the right places to make the sling stay put.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 20 May 2013, 04:39

I mean it kept releasing. The position on the arm wasn't a big deal but the clasp used to change the length would release on it's own about 80% of the time. Even had it release while I was shooting a couple of times, needless to say I missed the shot.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 20 May 2013, 09:15

bobapunk wrote:The Loop Sling will never stay put over a plain cotton tee shirt. That is why competitive high-power shooters use those silly looking shooting jackets! They have padding built into all the right places to make the sling stay put.
We loop/bind it around our arm, you don't need a highpower jacket. The jacket is more for rigidity. You can shoot slinged with just a t-shirt on as long as you loop and cause tension.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

bobapunk
Gold Member

Post by bobapunk » 23 May 2013, 20:18

Blue, yeah you can do it, but in my experience the loop likes to slide down toward your elbow when under tension. The USMC shooting jackets have a pad sewn in the the arm that the sling will slide down to and then stop giving you a very repeatable slug position.

R1772, it sounds like you need a new/better sling!

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 23 May 2013, 22:06

bobapunk wrote:Blue, yeah you can do it, but in my experience the loop likes to slide down toward your elbow when under tension. The USMC shooting jackets have a pad sewn in the the arm that the sling will slide down to and then stop giving you a very repeatable slug position.

R1772, it sounds like you need a new/better sling!
In place of padding, we had small bottles of hand sanitizer or mini bibles in the shoulder pockets on our blouses when shooting the slow for part of the range. The last time I shot the range I apparently didn't even rate a legit loop sling and just tied the bastard around my bicep.