Help plz swedish mauser

Talk about your favorite longguns here.
TEBO

Help plz swedish mauser

Post by TEBO » 01 May 2012, 09:40

ok it took me about 5 minutes to figure how to get the rear/back barrel band off my m96 swedish mauser but i can not figure how to get the front band off... im afraid of damaging the stock or possibly bending the barrell i dont wanna force anything.... im wondering if there is something im missing? i have removed a small pin from that front barrel band but it didnt seem to do anything.... also im wondering if possibly the cosmoline could have swollen the stock and i should just tap it with a brass punch and hammer? please any suggestions would be great...

smpsmp

Re: Help plz swedish mauser

Post by smpsmp » 01 May 2012, 18:17

I had the same problem on an Enfield once. Once any and all pins are out of the band, half the time it comes right off, and the other half it needs to be tapped off. Just go slow with a brass or nylon punch and a hammer.

TEBO

Re: Help plz swedish mauser

Post by TEBO » 02 May 2012, 09:14

will do thanks thats what i was thinking.... its that danm cosmoline that they coat it in... im also thinking maybe putting a few c clamps right behind the band maybe too compress the barrell into the stock to release some tension from barrel to band contact. i think its gonna work great... after that i hope i find a matching stock number nothing fancy 17X884 1906... guns over 100 years old and still is flawless went shooting last week with it besides the $25 for 20 rounds it was fun.