IWI TAVOR approaching USA

Talk about your favorite longguns here.
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

IWI TAVOR approaching USA

Post by blueorison » 02 Apr 2012, 09:24

I've been waiting for this rifle for a long time (ok, only a few years).

I loved the simplicity and compactness of it; however, after shooting carbines in quantity and quality, I'm going to stick with the AR platform for tunability. Especially since the predicted prices of the TAVOR is ~$2k.

Still, very cool. Those Canadians won't like it.. they thought they finally had a gun we couldn't have :lmao:
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

toyslr

Re: IWI TAVOR approaching USA

Post by toyslr » 02 Apr 2012, 09:25

Looks like a hell of a weapons platform! If the Israelis built it, it'll perfom...

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 02 Apr 2012, 09:58

toyslr wrote:Looks like a hell of a weapons platform! If the Israelis built it, it'll perfom...

LOL not at first! The Tavor's first 4 to 5 years of deployment where scary azz crap. It failed almost 100% in the field. Supposedly it's been fixed. My friends in the IDF have told me unofficially that they don't trust it yet.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 02 Apr 2012, 13:40

The TAR-21 that I demoed at Bragg was a complete POS. The Team Armoror I was mooching off of said that he had been tinkering with it for 2 months and it still wasn't reliable.

That was 5 years ago though, so I don't know what it is like now. But back then, there were a few SBS guys doing some Combined Exercises there that claimed they would rather have a L89A1 than a TAR-21, and if you know about the Brits and the 89A1s, that is saying something.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 02 Apr 2012, 13:44

I haven't heard good things about the L89s hah. Really interested in this though. Even if my only experience with the TARs was Rainbow Six :laugh:

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 02 Apr 2012, 13:47

L89A1 is a pistol, right? I know the British had major issues with a SA80 until H&K got involved and revamped the weapon

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 02 Apr 2012, 13:53

Err maybe. I'm thinking of whatever their damn rifle is.

I just remember "80" something.

I stand corrected and somewhat embarrased :ponder:

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 02 Apr 2012, 15:20

toyslr wrote:L89A1 is a pistol, right? I know the British had major issues with a SA80 until H&K got involved and revamped the weapon
IIRC it was their version of the SA80 bullpup. It was a "looks good on the outside, performs like POS"
flyingirish04 wrote:The TAR-21 that I demoed at Bragg was a complete POS. The Team Armoror I was mooching off of said that he had been tinkering with it for 2 months and it still wasn't reliable.

That was 5 years ago though, so I don't know what it is like now. But back then, there were a few SBS guys doing some Combined Exercises there that claimed they would rather have a L89A1 than a TAR-21, and if you know about the Brits and the 89A1s, that is saying something.
Good info, Irish, thanks.
panzermk2 wrote:
toyslr wrote:Looks like a hell of a weapons platform! If the Israelis built it, it'll perfom...

LOL not at first! The Tavor's first 4 to 5 years of deployment where scary azz crap. It failed almost 100% in the field. Supposedly it's been fixed. My friends in the IDF have told me unofficially that they don't trust it yet.
My thoughts reflected Toys'. Apparently I was wrong. Well, like I said, I'm sticking with the boring M4/AR platform.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 02 Apr 2012, 18:26

Blue is correct. It was the first version of the SA80. If you shot it left handed, its charging handle could break your nose. It also had reliability issues as well. The rub was that it was basically a low bid gun. Not one that had been through proving grounds.

Again, I have heard more militaries have adopted the TARs, so maybe they fixed em. I would try em again. The MTAR looks interesting.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 28 Apr 2012, 12:42

I'll be curious to know how long it takes the importer to go out of business this time.

nrv216

Post by nrv216 » 08 May 2012, 10:23

I work with a bunch of guys who served in the Israeli Military and they LOVE the Tavor. I would definetly like to try one. Hopefully I can find a range that has a rental when they arrive because if I come across an extra 2k I can think of a million better things to do with it.

nrv216