AR platform in .308

Talk about your favorite longguns here.
Iggimo2
custom title: Expert lurker

AR platform in .308

Post by Iggimo2 » 05 Nov 2008, 18:03

If I am understanding things correctly, The armalite ar-10 mags are proprietary and do not interchange with those designed for a DPMS receiver. As a matter of fact, I am unable to easily locate aftermarket mags for the armalite rifle. If there is a fine point I am missing, please enlighten me.

Question is, for a rifle that will initially be used solely for plinking/reloading practice, but be upgraded in the future with a new barrel, better trigger, better optics for medium range (600-800yd) target shooting, is one brand that much different (better) than the other? In the .223 caliber I have always considered Armalite and DPMS to be approximate equals with respect to quality and accuracy if apples are compared to apples.

TIA

dtask

Re: AR platform in .308

Post by dtask » 06 Nov 2008, 02:23

Iggimo2 wrote:Question is, for a rifle that will initially be used solely for plinking/reloading practice, but be upgraded in the future with a new barrel, better trigger, better optics for medium range (600-800yd) target shooting, is one brand that much different (better) than the other? In the .223 caliber I have always considered Armalite and DPMS to be approximate equals with respect to quality and accuracy if apples are compared to apples. TIA
Plinking with a .308 is a lot of $$$ for a little "plink" and if you truly are worried about parting out the rifle for accuracy, I suggest getting a bolt action - semi auto's are not ever going to be as inherently accurate as a bolt gun.

Also, if you're planning on reloading, ever considered a 6.5 Grendel? I built a semi auto out of a RRA upper/lower with an AA bolt and barrel and it'll shoot WAY more accurately than my .308's

In .308, I shoot the POF 308 & Bushmaster BAR10 - which I have a few of because of how crazy low the price on these got (the BAR10) when everyone was buying into the "missing lug on the bolt for the FAL magazine to work" BS was circulating the net. These take inch or metric FAL mags - available on the cheap everywhere. The only real problem that these rifles had was a heat treating issue with some of the bolts - which Bushmaster, to this day, will replace free of charge. I have not ever had a single problem with mine.

The POF is the ultimate .308 semi auto however, & if you are looking for something that you can just buy and be all set without frankenstein-ing it out later, this is an option I would consider.

Iggimo2
custom title: Expert lurker

Post by Iggimo2 » 06 Nov 2008, 18:31

Yeah, i got the PBR in 308 as my tack driver rifle. I was more interested in a semi-auto for the future possibility of not being able to purchase black rifles.

Thanks for the tip on the bushy and POF.

User42

Post by User42 » 07 Nov 2008, 21:24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVhOdiTbb8c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My buddies Armalite AR-10 the first time we fired it. I hear you can modify M1A mags to work in the AR-10, but the DPMS mags have the follower on the opposite side (for what reason I do not know). He bought the 16" A4 model (no sights or carry handle included) with 3 20 round mags for under $1000.

I am the second guy in the black jacket.