My New Friend: Walther PPQ M1 9mm

Discuss the variety of handguns out there.
PainKillaX

My New Friend: Walther PPQ M1 9mm

Post by PainKillaX » 18 Jan 2015, 23:59

Since October, I've been on the quest for a new handgun. I wanted one in 9mm, to bridge the gap between my XD-S and my FsN for carry, range, and hopefully someday competition. One is great to conceal carry, but no fun at the range. The other is a blast to shoot, but hard for me to conceal. Both cost more per round than 9.

It started when we got a Sig Sauer P320 Carry. It fit my hand pretty well and right out of the box I shot my best groupings ever, and the trigger was pretty good. Plus it was a Sig. Someday soon I'll probably put up a full review on that one as well.

At first I was set on getting a CZ P-07. I shot it at the range and it just wasn't quite the one. Then I moved to the new HK VP9. Let me be clear, the VP9 is the most comfortable handgun I have ever held. It is like those Germans made it just for me. Plus it was from a company with a stellar reputation, at a lower (but still high) price from them--$650 plus tax. Finally rented one of those, and I didn't like the trigger. It had a really long reset and my finger was getting rubbed by the trigger trough. Turns out that seems to be a relatively common issue. I could have trained myself to put my finger on the right spot on the trigger but I also didn't shoot the same groups with the VP9 that I could with the Sig. I still want one one day, but it won't be soon.

Next I tried a FNS-9. I liked that it was comparatively dirt cheap ($440+tax through IOP, with night sights) and held 17 rounds in the same size frame as other holding 15. Put about a hundred rounds through the FNS side by side with the Sig and found that it just didn't fit my hand quite right, the groupings weren't what I wanted, and the trigger was pretty dang heavy. Following that I fired an XDm and an M&P9. And then I rented the PPQ.

Holy crud. I put my first three rounds through touching holes in a triangle shape at 7 yards. Sure it's not the farthest but 1) I've never pulled of three touching rounds with any other handgun before and 2) I had never fired the PPQ before. I was sold right then. To be fair, I had researched it plenty and it was down to the PPQ or the FNS.

Paid just under $600 out the door. Came with a foam lined hard plastic case, one pistol, two 15 round magazines, one magazine loader, a cable lock, very nice user manual, and a test target from the factory of five rounds at 15 meters. I got the M1, or classic style, that has the European paddle magazine release rather than the American button style. I've already come to appreciate the paddle release because you can't accidentally drop the mag, it's truly ambi, and you can hit it with your trigger finger without shifting your grip. After just a short time it starts to feel really natural.

The PPQ comes with three different backstraps. Better than the FNS' two, but not as many options as the VP9's 27 possible configurations. Field stripping is stupid simple. Eject the mag, clear the chamber, squeeze the trigger, push straight down on the takedown lever, slide the slide forward. Done.

The trigger on the pistol is just -WOW-. The hype is there for a reason. There's quite a bit of take up, a very short and light pull, and a terrifically short, audible, tactile reset.

Now for the two big negatives for me. The sights that ship with the pistol are polymer, front and back, and neither are dovetailed. It sounds like with the front you can adapt Glock sights to work, but the rear is entirely unique to the Walther. I can let this slide because I will be replacing them with night sights anyway. I'm thinking an AmeriGlo green tritium front with orange outline and either a solid black rear or a single center tritium dot on the rear.

The second gripe is that the rod in the recoil spring assembly is polymer. I don't know if this is actually a problem. The Walther forum is abound with people assuring it's a non-issue, with very few cases of broken rods. Walther has apparently been using these in the P99s for over 15 years and I imagine that if it was a common problem they would have redesigned it. Or they are just cheap bastards. Steel recoil rods are available complete with springs, but for $60.

I already have Talon Grips on their way and a new Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 2.0 IWB on order too. I've said it before, for me, Talons seem to be the single best addition you can make to any handgun, especially for the price. I haven't read a bad review on the Alien Gear holsters yet and I look forward to doing a review of it in 1-2 weeks :)

My only real regret so far is that I didn't wait a week to see what neat toys might be announced at SHOT. Hopefully there isn't anything too cool coming out! Pictures will follow in the next day or two. Let me know if you have questions, I'll try to answer them. I'll be updating this as I think of things. The brain isn't firing on all cylinders tonight. Pretty drained from watching that nail-biting NFC championship game ;)

kfeltenberger
Gold Member
custom title: BSG-94 Chronicler

Re: My New Friend: Walther PPQ M1 9mm

Post by kfeltenberger » 19 Jan 2015, 05:55

PainKillaX wrote: The second gripe is that the rod in the recoil spring assembly is polymer. I don't know if this is actually a problem. The Walther forum is abound with people assuring it's a non-issue, with very few cases of broken rods. Walther has apparently been using these in the P99s for over 15 years and I imagine that if it was a common problem they would have redesigned it. Or they are just cheap bastards. Steel recoil rods are available complete with springs, but for $60.
Glock has been using polymer recoil rods since day 1 and that's arguably the most reliable line of firearms (of all sizes and calibers combined) currently in service. Shoot the gun with the polymer guide rod and if it fails, replace it. When I was doing a lot of training back during 2000-2006, the only time I saw a Glock have an issue was when people dicked around with aftermarket guide rods.
Kurt

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 19 Jan 2015, 08:08

kfeltenberger wrote:
PainKillaX wrote: The second gripe is that the rod in the recoil spring assembly is polymer. I don't know if this is actually a problem. The Walther forum is abound with people assuring it's a non-issue, with very few cases of broken rods. Walther has apparently been using these in the P99s for over 15 years and I imagine that if it was a common problem they would have redesigned it. Or they are just cheap bastards. Steel recoil rods are available complete with springs, but for $60.
Glock has been using polymer recoil rods since day 1 and that's arguably the most reliable line of firearms (of all sizes and calibers combined) currently in service. Shoot the gun with the polymer guide rod and if it fails, replace it. When I was doing a lot of training back during 2000-2006, the only time I saw a Glock have an issue was when people dicked around with aftermarket guide rods.
And that seemed to be the consensus. For now I won't change it until it's a problem. I will probably get a hold of Walther and try ordering a spare to have on hand.

kfeltenberger
Gold Member
custom title: BSG-94 Chronicler

Post by kfeltenberger » 19 Jan 2015, 08:15

If you contact Walther, ask for a spare or two of the cross pins that hold the backstrap tot he frame. A buddy lost the pin one of his (forget the make/model) but it made it very inconvenient to shoot until it was replaced.
Kurt

DistantCorduroy

Post by DistantCorduroy » 19 Jan 2015, 13:30

I have the PPQ M1 as well. IT ROCKS. I'm currently using the Bravo Concealment DOS appendix carry holster. It's very comfortable for appendix carry and conceals well. Only complaint on the holster is that it sits considerably higher than the advertised hight; maybe this is due to the shape of the frame of the gun.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 20 Jan 2015, 10:29

Good job finally finding the one you like.

Glock's polymer rod is redundant; the pistol will shoot with the rod broken or with no rod.

The Walther PPQ has one of the shortest, if not the shortest resets and break I've shot. I've shot every model of the plastic Walthers that I know of; the AS, etc. etc.

I have not shot the M2 longer slide model, and I want to; however, every 9mm Walther I have shot has an inexplicably higher muzzle climb and recoil than other plastic 9mms.

I need more time with the VP9. We are shooting it in USPSA, now. I'll try to borrow one. I don't care for paddle mag releases.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 22 Jan 2015, 13:35

I seem to have a thing for pistols with high praise and little aftermarket support.

Trying to find night sights is turning out to be a chore. From what I'm reading, the Walther stock sights are set for sight picture #3, and I would like #2.

It won't make a noticeable difference at 10 yards, and I to this day have never tried a 75+ yard shot, but I've gotten comfortable with #2. Going to take it out today or tomorrow and see where the stock sights hit at 25, and make the call from there. Starting to wonder if it would be possible to mill a dovetail in the front to use the front sights for every pistol that isn't a Glock/Walther :laugh:

Still working on putting the pictures up, my phone doesn't want to sync with my computer...

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 22 Jan 2015, 15:08

Really...

Who the heck uses sight image 3 to sight in their guns. I should correct that to, "What mfg. uses this?"

That's dumb. For many reasons.

Sight image 1 is for long range shooting, for specific reasons. Sight image 2 is how most pistols should be set up. Sight image 3 is dumb.

If I get ahold of a PPQ I'll shoot it at 15-25 yards to see where it hits. I don't remember the Walthers being set for image 3, but I wasn't scrutinizing.
Shoot more, worry less.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 22 Jan 2015, 15:12

blueorison wrote:Really...

Who the heck uses sight image 3 to sight in their guns. I should correct that to, "What mfg. uses this?"

That's dumb. For many reasons.

Sight image 1 is for long range shooting, for specific reasons. Sight image 2 is how most pistols should be set up. Sight image 3 is dumb.

If I get ahold of a PPQ I'll shoot it at 15-25 yards to see where it hits. I don't remember the Walthers being set for image 3, but I wasn't scrutinizing.
It seemed to hit #2 at 10. Tomorrow or Saturday we'll see if it's #2 at 25. Part of the problem seems to be that P99s were brought in with stock front sights that are 4.5mm tall, where as PPQs were brought in with 3.8mm, but all the manufacturers made their front sights off the P99s. I'm getting lost in the sauce on the Walther Forum.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 22 Jan 2015, 15:20

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 22 Jan 2015, 18:46

Awesome pictures!

Remember the fuzzy picture days....

I think the best Walther trigger was on the QA. There are so many darn acronyms I don't remember. But pretty sure.
Shoot more, worry less.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 27 Jan 2015, 20:22

Updates Galore:

For what a cheap bastard I am, this was the wrong hobby to get into. But I'm finding that what I really like is the opportunity for research and tinkering that firearms provide me.

New pistol AND new caliber for me. I'm looking for the new best 9mm round to carry, the best lube or grease to run in it, the best night sights to throw on, the best place to buy overpriced Walther magazines, how to modify button-release magazines to latch and feed in a paddle release pistol. Having a lot of fun!

Rounds I'm thinking either Hornady Critical Defense, which are in the XD-S now, or Winchester Ranger-T +P, or the new Sig V-Crown.

I use Hoppes oil on my FiveseveN, and went to Frog Lube for my XD-S, and now I'm debating sticking with FL or trying a grease. I really like the smell of FL and it's done a great job but it seems to congeal and get gross if you don't wipe it off and reapply it routinely.

Sights will be a Dawson Precision Tritium front sight, which I'll hand paint a neon orange ring on. Rears will be a 10-8 Performance U-Notch rear, all black.

A note on that, Both sights were ordered Sunday afternoon. Dawson had my stuff on the truck Monday and they'll be here Wednesday. 10-8 created the shipping label on Monday but it took 32 hours for the package to make it to USPS, so it won't be here until Thursday. Point, Dawson. Not a huge deal though because having worked in a store that ships directly to customers, I realize that sometimes things get to busy to box it up on time, or your pick-up shows up at an unscheduled time and you have to wait til the next day. My Talons arrived yesterday as well. This weekend should be a fun one for my Walther.

E-mailed Walther customer service hoping to order a recoil spring assembly, striker, and backstrap (to tinker with) but haven't heard back after two business days. We'll see if I ever hear back or if I have to call.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 29 Jan 2015, 11:44

Cheap bastards are the worst gun people.

I don't think you're that cheap. Walthers aren't that cheap.

For SD ammo, I would look at the Speer G2 or HST. Hornady is also a good contender, but I don't prefer the shape of their red inserts.

Sights; only Dawson will do. 10/8s are ok. Mepros are quite good with the blacked-out rear.

Best wishes on your tinkering!
Shoot more, worry less.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 08 Feb 2015, 13:53

My Alien Gear got to the house this weekend.
http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic ... 26&t=16049" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The sights are on the pistol. The front still needs its white ring painted orange. The rears need a little sight black on the exposed edges I filed. I never want to have to file a sight to fit it again--that sucked.

Talons are on, and I found myself one of the 17rd extended.

Walther got back to me on the third day. If I want parts, I need to actually got the service department, but the provided me the number and attached a parts diagram so I know what numbers to give.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 08 Feb 2015, 23:46

And with a rattle can, broken match stick, steady hand, and no ventilation, I got my Dawson front to mirror my AmeriGlo front. Now aside from a few more magazines and a few thousand rounds of practice, I'm good to go.

Modified Dawson Precision Tritium NS Front Sight, 10-8 Performance Rear Sight.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 09 Feb 2015, 00:18

Nice!

Btw, A., I just saw the Canik TP9SA Walther clone, and I want one! They take the same dimensions per the sights as with the Walthers! I'll go try one out and if I like it it's literally $300! Imported by Arsenal... so, pretty legit.
Last edited by blueorison on 09 Feb 2015, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.
Shoot more, worry less.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 09 Feb 2015, 00:43

blueorison wrote:Nice!

Btw, A., I just saw the Canik TP9SA Walther clone, and I wont one! They take the same dimensions per the sights as with the Walthers! I'll go try one out and if I like it it's literally $300! Imported by Arsenal... so, pretty legit.
I've got a buddy with a TP9, he seems to love it. It's an absolutely KILLER deal. Two or three 17/18(?) round magazines, a full holster setup, pistol, and case. The SA ones are the newer model. From what I hear they are terrific clones of the P99. If only Walther would make a magazine that was compatible with both paddle release AND button release. I would love to get a TP9/SA but I think I'd be modifying a lot of mags to make them cross compatible :/

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 09 Feb 2015, 15:19

Yeap. I'm going to handle one. If I like it I'll use it in USPSA.
Shoot more, worry less.