Kimber Solo

Discuss the variety of handguns out there.
Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Kimber Solo

Post by Vortec MAX » 16 May 2014, 09:56

I took my new Kimber Solo Carry DC out to the range yesterday. I have mixed feeling about it. It functioned flawlessly for the first 85 rounds... unless I used the extended 8-round magazines. The 6-round magazines worked great. The 8-round would hang up at least on the first shot, sometimes on the second like clockwork. Once the first two were out of the magazine, it worked OK.

After the 85 rounds (which were cheap loose packed 115 grain Winchester white box crap), it hung up three times in the last 15 rounds (I fired a box of 100). I think it was because it was so dirty. Clearly the pistol was not designed for range sessions like this.

After soiling it with 100 rounds of crap ammo, I tried two seven round volleys with 124 grain Hydra-Shoks. I had one hang up in the first magazine. The second went without a hitch.

I clearly need more range time and more Hydra-Shok ammo to feel confident to defend my life with this pistol. It does shoot straight for a little gun.

By the way, the owners manual recommends against using 115 grain ammo. It recommends 124 grain or higher quality ammo to function reliably.

I will give an update after I take it out again.

Mike

FNGuy

Re: Kimber Solo

Post by FNGuy » 02 Sep 2014, 14:48

Been over 3 months now - have you had the Kimber out again? And?

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 03 Sep 2014, 09:10

Sorry. I actually have not had it out again. I will soon though. Thanks for the reminder :)

Mike

FNGuy

Post by FNGuy » 21 Sep 2014, 11:25

Yea, I'd like to know about your second go around also, as I've been looking at one.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 21 Sep 2014, 14:31

Did you buy it new? If so, I'm surprised it made it 85 rds without trouble, I'd expect it to start running right at around 250 or so. What issues have to had with WWB? That stuff runs everything I own like a top.

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 22 Sep 2014, 13:27

DoubleJ wrote:Did you buy it new? If so, I'm surprised it made it 85 rds without trouble, I'd expect it to start running right at around 250 or so. What issues have to had with WWB? That stuff runs everything I own like a top.
Yes, it was brand new. I disassembled it, cleaned it, and lubed it before I took it out for the "torture test."

I don't understand the question about WWB.

I will take it out soon. I have been shooting reloads through a chrono lately and have put this on the backburner.

Mike

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 23 Sep 2014, 03:56

Vortec MAX wrote:
After the 85 rounds (which were cheap loose packed 115 grain Winchester white box crap),

After soiling it with 100 rounds of crap ammo,
Why crap?

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 23 Sep 2014, 10:16

DoubleJ wrote:
Vortec MAX wrote:
After the 85 rounds (which were cheap loose packed 115 grain Winchester white box crap),

After soiling it with 100 rounds of crap ammo,
Why crap?
I guess I was referring more to the packaging than anything. I was taken aback that they were all just "in a pile" in the box. In the past I have always considered the WWB to be an inexpensive alternative to something better. Problem is... today they cost more than just about anything else.

I have had some "crappy" 5.56 white box stuff, but their pistol ammo has always seemed to function. I actually sent a case of 5.56 back to Winchester because of all the dented cases (some too bad to safely shoot). Maybe I was a bit harsh in generalizing the WWB as "crap." I still prefer Federal when I can get it.

Mike

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 30 Sep 2014, 15:08

I think the loose packaging probably just saves a couple pennies for everyone. Only some comes that way though, shorter stuff it seems. 38 comes packaged properly, 357 sig also, but I think 9mm, 45, and 40 come loose like that. I prefer WWB because when I'm done shooting, I've got a pile of Win brass instead of FC.

Goldngun

Post by Goldngun » 02 Oct 2014, 07:32

Vortec MAX wrote:I took my new Kimber Solo Carry DC out to the range yesterday. I have mixed feeling about it. It functioned flawlessly for the first 85 rounds... unless I used the extended 8-round magazines. The 6-round magazines worked great. The 8-round would hang up at least on the first shot, sometimes on the second like clockwork. Once the first two were out of the magazine, it worked OK.

After the 85 rounds (which were cheap loose packed 115 grain Winchester white box crap), it hung up three times in the last 15 rounds (I fired a box of 100). I think it was because it was so dirty. Clearly the pistol was not designed for range sessions like this.

After soiling it with 100 rounds of crap ammo, I tried two seven round volleys with 124 grain Hydra-Shoks. I had one hang up in the first magazine. The second went without a hitch.

I clearly need more range time and more Hydra-Shok ammo to feel confident to defend my life with this pistol. It does shoot straight for a little gun.

By the way, the owners manual recommends against using 115 grain ammo. It recommends 124 grain or higher quality ammo to function reliably.

I will give an update after I take it out again.

Mike
It needs to be broken in, as the manual and Kimber state due to the extremely tight tolerances of the parts. They need to be worn/broken in. It took almost 500 rounds before my 3" Ultra CDPII began functioning flawlessly. It is now Kimber perfection & will eat anything.