Thinking about picking up a FNP .45, HK Withdrawl!!!

Discuss the FN Handgun lineup; the High Power, FNP, and FNX line.
SeaHawkDriver-B
Location: Embarked on 2 acres of floating Soverign US Territory

Thinking about picking up a FNP .45, HK Withdrawl!!!

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 13 Jul 2010, 18:58

Yeah yeah yeah, there are dozen FNP45 threds out there, so what, gut it out through this one too!

OK, so I've seen the FNP out for a while... always seemed to be impressive but I never actually held one until today. I think I may be hooked. Now you're talking to a guy who has carried a USP full sized Tactical model ever since they were introduced, heck I even had my USP Tactical and UMP done with matching engraving!!! I absolutely love my USP, always have, always will, thought I would never want to carry another .45... My .45 life was complete, I had reached the 10th level of .45 Zen....

Until..

Today... :facepalm:

Man that FNP-45 Tac is a sweet weapon!!! The polished stainless mags, the 15 ROUND capacity!!! The integrated holo-sight spot!!! The adjustable backstraps!!! And to top it all off, its an FN! I seem to be getting more and more FN's in my collection, and less and less HK's.

I dont know what to do, I've been a USP fan for so long I feel like Lebron James here. But I'm almost certain that my USP is going to find a dusty spot on the wall, and my soon-to-be FNP is going to be filling a holster! :evil:

Am I sellout? Or am I seeing the light!? :ponder:

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,VS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

f3rr37
Site Admin

Re: Thinking about picking up a FNP .45, HK Withdrawl!!!

Post by f3rr37 » 13 Jul 2010, 21:06

You're seeing the light :D

xamoel

Post by xamoel » 14 Jul 2010, 06:54

i'm also looking at the FNP-45 Tactical, but the other competitor is a HK45.

some things i'd like to see on the FNP so i would buy it right away:
-DAO without MS
-polygonal rifling
-yellow rear (orange tritium lasts only 5 years, yellow 12)
-maybe a little better ergonomics for people with smaller hands
-maybe some sort of recoil reduction, like f.e. dual springs
-striker firing mechanism would be awesome, but that would surely require a redesign.

what are the chances of any of those things coming true? fyi, i'm only allowed to have one .45, that's why it's so hard to chose!

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 14 Jul 2010, 07:38

So you are pretty much asking for a complete redesign of a very new gun?

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 14 Jul 2010, 07:40

They have a green rear and front. Last I checked life span is around 12yrs.
It's a double stack 15rd gun, it's not a small pistol by any means
recoil on this gun is nothing. My wife shot it and felt it almost had no more recoil then her 9mm Baby Eagle.

xamoel

Post by xamoel » 14 Jul 2010, 08:13

i'm not asking for a redesign, i'm just thinking that with those features it would be the ultimate handgun imho. but maybe one day in future versions (fnx-45 tactical f.e.) some of those features could be integrated.

and a DAO without the levers shouldn't be too hard to do i guess, neither would polygonal rifling, dual springs or yellow rear sight.
of course the striker firing mechanism is something completely different.

btw it definitely is orange, i spoke to Bob A.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 14 Jul 2010, 10:06

xamoel wrote:
btw it definitely is orange, i spoke to Bob A.

Could have sworn it was green. (GOES to look at gun). Okay a dull yellow, more green than yellow. Green yellow :)

Still rated at 12yrs like green. the H&K doesn't come with nite sites.

xamoel

Post by xamoel » 14 Jul 2010, 10:20

yep, that why Bob said orange, and (if they use Trijicons) orange is rated at 5 years.

sure, the H&K doesn't feature night sights, which, given the price, isn't really fair.

but the pre-milled slide on the FNP is just one of the best ideas any handgun-manufacturer has come up with the last years. any other gun has this as a factory option?

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 14 Jul 2010, 10:34

it's certainly not orange. it's still a green/yellow color.

xamoel

Post by xamoel » 14 Jul 2010, 10:37

would you mind posting a low-light picture of the rear dots? i would certainly appreciate it!

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 14 Jul 2010, 10:39

yeah I can tonight when I get home from work.

xamoel

Post by xamoel » 14 Jul 2010, 21:21

Thank you very much!

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 14 Jul 2010, 22:59

As you can see they're not orange. Yellow Green/Green Yellow :)

xamoel

Post by xamoel » 15 Jul 2010, 05:48

Great!

which year was yours made? 2010? are there even any before 2010?

€: one more thing: on another FN forum, i heard that the FNP doesn't have a polygonal barrel. but as i read the specs of the FNP-45T, it definitely says "hammer forged", and only polygonal barrels are made using the hammer forge process, aren't they?

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 15 Jul 2010, 09:22

2010. Is there any way to distinguish the type by looking at the muzzle end? I can take pic.

xamoel

Post by xamoel » 15 Jul 2010, 09:51

yes, it should look something like on the right side of this picture, if it is polygonal (all smooth, no real grooves or lands):

if you could take a pic of the front of the muzzle, so one can see the grooves of the rifling, that would be perfect! would require some kind of macro setup of the camera i guess.

SeaHawkDriver-B

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 15 Jul 2010, 10:11

Can't you just call FN and ask?

xamoel

Post by xamoel » 15 Jul 2010, 10:23

actually i have, but they didn't reply with "yes" or "no", but just said it is a hammer-forged barrel with 1 in 16 RH twist.

as i'm unfortunately not really proficient in metallurgy and gunsmithing, i'm not sure if this mean that it is polygonal or not?

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 15 Jul 2010, 10:40

I doubt it is polygonal.

SeaHawkDriver-B

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 15 Jul 2010, 13:26

I would imagine that if they went to the trouble to make Polygonal rifling... they'd advertise it. So far the cheapest I"ve found the FNP-45 TAC is $910.00. Thats about 400 more than the normal FNP-45, and the only thing I"m getting is night sights and a threaded barrel. Seems a little out of proporition.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 15 Jul 2010, 13:59

SeaHawkDriver-B wrote:I would imagine that if they went to the trouble to make Polygonal rifling... they'd advertise it. So far the cheapest I"ve found the FNP-45 TAC is $910.00. Thats about 400 more than the normal FNP-45, and the only thing I"m getting is night sights and a threaded barrel. Seems a little out of proporition.

You're getting raised night sites (figure $100), A custom soft case ($80+?) A factory threaded barrel ($???), not to mention a completely different slide machined with a notch for a red dot..

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 15 Jul 2010, 14:38

standard rifling. Hard to see in pic:

SeaHawkDriver-B

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 15 Jul 2010, 17:44

Any you guys ever notice that the custom soft-case that the gun comes in, is EXACTLY the same as the old soft case that the USP Tactical came with? Hmmmmm... interesting.

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 15 Jul 2010, 18:12

Smoother trigger on the FN, 15 Round mags vs. 12 Rounders, 3 mags instead of 2, Nightsites (Raised) vs. standard sites,
threaded barrell protector. WIN-WIN with the FN

xamoel

Post by xamoel » 16 Jul 2010, 01:25

@ buffman: thanks for taking the pic!

even if it isn't polygonal, i think the hammer forging process makes the barrel very durable as well, even though a polygonal hammer forged might take more abuse, but that's just theoretical, noone will probably ever reach the end of the barrel life.

for your interest, the only dealer that can import the FNP-45T to my destination in europe wants 1750€ for it (about 2200 USD), compared to 1550€ (2000 USD) for the HK45. rather expensive i think!

SeaHawkDriver-B

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 16 Jul 2010, 05:07

What about the following?

Seems to me the HK has a better name when it comes to proven reliability. It also has a unique recoil reduction system, not just a spring in it like the FN and other guns. The HK has a dozen other little "fit and finish" details, everything from the hostile environment finish process to the proprietary HK trigger system.

The FN on the other hand has a lot of new design features though, like the co-witness holosight slide, and the 15 round double-stack mags. Also, I'm either going to have to buy a new .45 can, or change out the piston on my Gemtech to get the .578x28 threads to fit my Blackside.

Granted both these weapons are definately not fit for CCW, they are full size service pistols, which are great for target shooting or if you're a Law Enforcement officer. But the .45ACP is designed to go against unarmored human targets, its not powerful enough for woods carry (IMO), and it too friggin big to do anything else with. But nonetheless I'm drawn towards halo-guns like this, I guess becuase they make excellent SHTF weapons.

xamoel

Post by xamoel » 16 Jul 2010, 08:50

SHTF (and some hunting) as the only thing i want this weapon in the first place.

and your exactly right, it's about those tiny details. but the pre-milled slide for the red dot is imo the way of the future, it's just so much easier to use than iron sights, so why not have this on your secondary weapon as well.

for now the FNP-45 tactical is the only gun available with this design, and even though i'm not 100% sure of its reliability, and don't like external levers and DA/SA, i'll still probably gonna get it.
who knows if this (MRDS mount feature) will be succesfull. though i hope to see all guns, including 9mm, having it, and an improved version of the FNP with DAO maybe and polygonal rifling etc as well.

if it turns out not to have a successor i'll probably be the only person in my country having it, and may sell it for a profit (hopefully) if it turns out to be unreliable.

SeaHawkDriver-B

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 16 Jul 2010, 09:57

Its all but a done deal now. Just got off the phone with my local shop, I'm a frequent flyer there so they came down considerably in price. :clap: Oh, that and I have about $2000 in custom CLIII jobs being performed by their smith there. :lmao:

Sad to say but I decided to trade in one of my old wheel guns... just dont feel like stocking .44mag anymore.

Should expect to see the new FNP in my collection sometime mid next week.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 16 Jul 2010, 10:49

I'm with you on 44 Mag. I have no use for the round any more. Too small for griz, too big for everything else. I sold my 629 ES last year. If I get another wheel gun, it will be a Ruger Alaskan in 454.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

SeaHawkDriver-B

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 16 Jul 2010, 14:53

Wow flyingirish, you and I think alike. I went ahead and paid in full for the FNP Tactical... unfortunately the gun wasn't in stock (missed it by just a few days) so they had to order one from another shop :wall:

Good news is that I got it FOR A GREAT DEAL, yes... the first number started with an 8 !!!! :p

I gave away my Superblackhawk .44 mag at an absolute steal though. Like you said Irish, too small for heavy/dangerous game (IMO), and too big for anything else, plus the .44 doesn't co-shoot with any of my other guns. I couldn't justify keeping ANOTHER caliber in stock for just one rarely-used weapon. Also agreeing with you that my next wheel gun will be the Alaskan, been looking at that one for over a year now, just waiting to find one at the right price and in-stock. Unfortunately , very few shops carry the gun as the demand is quite low apparently. I'm still not thrilled about keeping either .45LC or .454 Cassul in stock, it goes against my mantra of having only 4 pistol rounds that I can't do without. 9mm, .45acp, 10mm, and of course 5.7.x28.

fooschnickens
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~

Post by fooschnickens » 18 Jul 2010, 21:35

SeaHawkDriver-B wrote:Any you guys ever notice that the custom soft-case that the gun comes in, is EXACTLY the same as the old soft case that the USP Tactical came with? Hmmmmm... interesting.
Seeing as Eagle made them both I'm not terribly surprised to see that :laugh:
http://www.f00tography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

hookdriver

Post by hookdriver » 20 Jul 2010, 17:07

I've seen a few black tacticals on sturmgewehr from time to time. There is one now for $899 if anyone is interested. I'm stuck in the sandbox so no purchases for a while.

SeaHawkDriver-B

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 20 Jul 2010, 18:11

Yes the black FNP-45 tactical will be out in greater numbers soon. For some reason they release the FDE's 1st. Personally, as the owner of about a dozen "black guns", I'm actually warming up to the two-tone FDE/ODG. I think with some black accessories like an optic, suppressor, and light... the original FDE going to attract some serious looks.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 20 Jul 2010, 18:15

It's TWO TONE FDE/FDE :)

gearhead

Post by gearhead » 02 Aug 2010, 08:50

FN hammer forges standard rifling. It's not polygonal.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 03 Aug 2010, 12:01

15 rounds.

Enough said. Also, the HK is not premilled to accept a co-witnessing sight. That alone changes the entire game for me, it's almost apples to oranges at that point.

FN realizes the future. I don't shoot open in IPSC, but for practical use, I opine that red dots are the best sights out there for rapid, close to medium range use.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

fastmtnbiker33w

Post by fastmtnbiker33w » 10 Sep 2010, 12:06

I'm so hot on this pistol! I used to be an HK stalwart, but today, after getting released from jury duty, I decided to take my 27 year old HK SL7 to the local shop as I'm in search of a more shootable ar10 style rifle. Especially something with more parts availability. So the SL7 is on consignment.

I'd never been in the shop before so I had to check everything out. They had 2 FNP 45 models. As a USP 45 owner and a previous USP compact 45 owner, this pistol really got me going. I have big hands and I liked the grip much better than the USP full size. The trigger felt WAY better than my USP trigger in both SA and DA mode. And 15 rounds!!! Are you kidding me? That's A LOT of fire power and the grip seems smaller than any 45 double stack I've held. The only thing I noticed that was possibly a problem was the slide release. It's much smaller than the USP. Salesmen seemed to think the gun was going to take off and aftermarket parts might become available in a couple of years.

What really makes me want to trade my USP in for the FNP is the cut rifling in the barrel. YAY! I can shoot lead bullets! That saves so much money in reloading costs it's not even funny. I guess I could have forked over $150 for a cut rifled barrel for the USP, but I never bothered.

I know the shop won't do a straight trade for my full size USP 45 with 4-10 round mags and original case (or will they?), so I may have to fess up a Ben Franklin on the deal. What do you guys think?

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 10 Sep 2010, 13:50

fastmtnbiker33w wrote:I'm so hot on this pistol! I used to be an HK stalwart, but today, after getting released from jury duty, I decided to take my 27 year old HK SL7 to the local shop as I'm in search of a more shootable ar10 style rifle. Especially something with more parts availability. So the SL7 is on consignment.

I'd never been in the shop before so I had to check everything out. They had 2 FNP 45 models. As a USP 45 owner and a previous USP compact 45 owner, this pistol really got me going. I have big hands and I liked the grip much better than the USP full size. The trigger felt WAY better than my USP trigger in both SA and DA mode. And 15 rounds!!! Are you kidding me? That's A LOT of fire power and the grip seems smaller than any 45 double stack I've held. The only thing I noticed that was possibly a problem was the slide release. It's much smaller than the USP. Salesmen seemed to think the gun was going to take off and aftermarket parts might become available in a couple of years.

What really makes me want to trade my USP in for the FNP is the cut rifling in the barrel. YAY! I can shoot lead bullets! That saves so much money in reloading costs it's not even funny. I guess I could have forked over $150 for a cut rifled barrel for the USP, but I never bothered.

I know the shop won't do a straight trade for my full size USP 45 with 4-10 round mags and original case (or will they?), so I may have to fess up a Ben Franklin on the deal. What do you guys think?
I laughed at that HK stalwart comment.

Welcome to the forum, biker! Hope you have a good time here and looking forward to learning from your contributions :)

To me, FNP/X triggers are smoother and have less travel than the HK triggers. The FNP/X triggers remind me of the Walther triggers, but also with less travel, and are somewhat related to the HK's. This is after breaking them in, of course. HK's don't take that long for break-in, and FNP's only a few hundred rounds. The break of the FNP/X's are definitely better than most HK's I've shot (alot of stock ones, no match triggers.)

By the way, who told you that cut in the barrel can't shoot lead bullets? :)
Last edited by blueorison on 10 Sep 2010, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.
Shoot more, worry less.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 10 Sep 2010, 13:55

blueorison wrote: By the way, who told you that cut in the barrel can't shoot lead bullets? :)
I think he means because it's cut in the barrel, it can shoot lead bullets. I don't know other types of rifling, but this leads me to believe those CAN'T shoot lead.
fastmtnbiker33w wrote: What really makes me want to trade my USP in for the FNP is the cut rifling in the barrel. YAY! I can shoot lead bullets! That saves so much money in reloading costs it's not even funny. I guess I could have forked over $150 for a cut rifled barrel for the USP, but I never bothered.
But I dunno :D

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 10 Sep 2010, 14:23

I know exactly to what he's referring, but I want to hear it from him on which cuts he thinks can shoot lead and which can't, and where he heard it from/why not.

:)

Just curious.
Shoot more, worry less.

fastmtnbiker33w

Post by fastmtnbiker33w » 10 Sep 2010, 14:43

Polygonal barrels are not supposed to have lead bullets through them. HK does not specifically warn against it, but Glock does. Polygonal is polygonal. So I'm not going to do it in HK. I'm not going to spend an hour or so soaking a pg barrel in Hoppes #9 and running countless brush and patch passes through it to try to defoul it or risk pressure build ups during a long day at the range.

Cut rifling is lead bullet friendly.

blueorison....I put at least 3000 rounds through my HK and that trigger never got any better. I could never shoot it DA unless I was only a few feet from my target. Forget trying to shoot it lefty. I can shoot my revolver and my 1911 lefty no problem. I can't do my HK lefty even SA. To have a smith work on it I'd have to send it out....$$ on the FFL. So I just deal with it. Maybe I can change that to "dealt with it"!

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 10 Sep 2010, 15:39

fastmtnbiker33w wrote:Polygonal barrels are not supposed to have lead bullets through them. HK does not specifically warn against it, but Glock does. Polygonal is polygonal. So I'm not going to do it in HK. I'm not going to spend an hour or so soaking a pg barrel in Hoppes #9 and running countless brush and patch passes through it to try to defoul it or risk pressure build ups during a long day at the range.

Cut rifling is lead bullet friendly.

blueorison....I put at least 3000 rounds through my HK and that trigger never got any better. I could never shoot it DA unless I was only a few feet from my target. Forget trying to shoot it lefty. I can shoot my revolver and my 1911 lefty no problem. I can't do my HK lefty even SA. To have a smith work on it I'd have to send it out....$$ on the FFL. So I just deal with it. Maybe I can change that to "dealt with it"!
Biker, I already LIKE your style.

You come on this new forum, and your second post talks about shooting a gun with the support hand, and that it is part of your analysis of whether a gun is shootable or not.

So much respect.

You have no clue how many hours I have to spend listening to drone monkeys and my tacticool friends talk about how they want to buy a SCAR or FN or some other firearm for the foremost reason of "how it looks".

It is so refreshing to see someone actually applying the skills and simple firearm philosophies of people like Jeff Cooper and Mass.

By the way, Glock warns against it, but I've put over a thousand lead rounds through the Glock 17. Accuracy has not diminished, nor barrel fouled. Cleaning is a breeze, no different than jacketed rounds. Before the thousand rounds, the Glock already had thousands put through it.

And when I say accuracy wasn't diminished, I meant I was shooting the plate rack at 75 yards at 6 inch plates and hit every shot.

By the way, manufacturers also warn against reloads, changing the grip, and springs. It's just a disclaimer. But it's your gun, treat it how you may. I'm just giving you first hand information vs. someone from a forum too afraid to actually shoot their gun. :cya:
Shoot more, worry less.

bobapunk
Gold Member
custom title: EA's range buddy

Post by bobapunk » 10 Sep 2010, 16:56

My FNP-45 is NOT polygonal.

fastmtnbiker33w

Post by fastmtnbiker33w » 10 Sep 2010, 19:27

Yeah blueorison. I've had several people tell me that quality hard cast lead bullets are fine in the pg barrels. I load pretty light....just enough to reliably cycle the action....so getting any sort of melt down probably would never had been a problem. Not like my .454 where anything over a standard .45LC load needs a gas check behind a hard cast. I just never took the chance. Remington jacketed HP's are always super cheap if you buy a 1000. But I will be happy to start saving a bit more by only having to reload lead. I shoot lead in the 1911 exclusively. Nice light load....light spring. Something that doesn't scare the wife when she wants to toss some lead downrange and lets me shoot a lot without getting a sore wrist or blisters.

I've always been one to choose fit and function over fashion. My body demands it. I'm about 6 and half feet tall and wear a size 15. As a former pro and still pretty fast mountain biker I never saw great success until I got a custom made titanium bike. It was substantially heavier than the stock flyweight carbon fiber stuff, but I've yet to break one. I now have a blingy carbon bike that a company is making in my size but I broke it 3 times in 5 months. The last time was the beginning of my summer vacation after I had been on the road for 3 weeks. I carried that broken bike around for the entire summer. Luckily I brought that heavier titanium rig along for a spare. It served me well and I found myself on or just barely off the podium all summer.

The gun hobby is not as big as my mountain bike passion. I'm an army vet and my dad has always been a competitive shooter and collector. His advice has always served me well and provided me with a pretty vast knowledge base. I haven't kept up much over the past few years due to a new job and other stuff. It's amazing how many cool new things are out there. The "tacticool" aspect is interesting and goes to show how much firearms have become big boy toys over the past couple decades. A huge number of returning OEF and OIF vets I'm sure are a major contributor to that market.

That new FNP tactical is a fine example as to what you were referring to. Why would you want to buy a threaded barreled pistol? Do you really want to pay for a silencer? Or the tax stamp for a silencer? You can't carry it with a silencer. Do you plan on making a "hit" with it? Seriously. The sights on the thing are super tall limiting you to using a specific holster that will allow it to slide out efficiently. Neat pistol....maybe legit for a true competition shooter, but not something I'd want to carry.

I must admit though that the OD green FNP 45 is what I'm going to have the shop order me. It looks really great! As soon as I get it I'll shoot through all 7 or 800 rounds I have ASAP. I have a feeling that after a 1000 or so, if it hasn't had any problems, the 1911 will start collecting dust (maybe time for that 22 conversion for the wife?).

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 10 Sep 2010, 20:39

Great to hear from someone like you, sir.

I'm in Austin, and attend the University of Texas. We have a very professional athletic department here, and this isn't sans the bikers. Even the informal bike meets are quite professionally done.

I'm in the physical therapy field and have volunteered and work for clinics that host free tents at the Tri's and K's. Big respect for athletes, especially runners and bikers.

Two summers ago, I spent my mornings waking up at 5:30am and biking at 85% for an hour, was a great workout. Hit the FITT lab, and got my fitness analyzed over the period of time. My VO2 max went up significantly.

As for the FNP, I would just go ahead and buy it. Tanners, a forum sponsor, had them for $400 flat on sale, however, not the OD one if I recall correctly. I have to concur on the OD; I own an OD FsN. It's probably as tacticool as it will get for me.

And I completely agree with your philosophy on "cool" toys. For those who can afford it and like them; I just can't see myself owning a suppressor on a gun that still requires me to wear hearing protection. Makes no sense.

Ps. Lance's bike shop here is a pretty nice place to get your bike fixed.
Shoot more, worry less.

fatherfoof

Post by fatherfoof » 10 Sep 2010, 23:00

Right on gents. 4 Glocks, shoot nothin' but reloads- been doin so for decades and not so much as a hiccup. Just keep cleaning your gun. The fools who shoot week after week without putting on my favorite after shave (Hoppes 9) create the bad press. Same goes with with AR nonsense re pistons. Clean the thing and whether it's gas ipt or piston doesn't matter. We just love to argue over petty details.
Please PM Me for LE/Military Access

fastmtnbiker33w

Post by fastmtnbiker33w » 12 Sep 2010, 08:34

Took my USP 45 to the gunshow yesterday. Despite not a single USP 45 on anyone's table, a 40 marked at $999, and a sign on mine for $650, I only received a lowball offer of $400. There also aren't any FNP 45's in green available right now.

Don't know about your guys' gun shows, but ours was weak. Lots of AR's both 15 and 10's! I picked up some business cards as I'm still quite interested in the AR10. There were a couple of Knight's Armaments. So it was kind of worth the trip in that regards. Not much cash flashing around yesterday at my show.

fastmtnbiker33w

Post by fastmtnbiker33w » 17 Sep 2010, 19:23

So I've got the cash together for a dark earth colored FNP 45 without having to sell the HK. I'm being patient and even decided to send my HK off to get the crappy trigger worked on by Bill at http://www.Triggerwork.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

My old man has a few connections in the wholesale gun world, so I'm going to wait to see what kind of price he can get me. Anything has got to be better than where I live. Let's just say that there's a fairly high level of fear in my neck of the woods and we also have a large military and LE population that helps keep demand and prices fairly high. Cold cash does do wonders however. Having the nuts to shoot the big mouth and the resources to reload and not have to buy factory ammo makes the prices and demand on the 45's a bit lower.

Anyway....I still have the hots for the FNP. But now that I have the cash and know I can buy one whenever a well-priced one shows up makes me covet the thing a bit less.

warlokk08

Post by warlokk08 » 08 Dec 2010, 07:57

I am thinking the same as SeaHawkDriver. $400 more than the original FNP 45 for a threaded barrel and different sights is nuts. I love FNH, but unless i'm missing something (which is highly possible) I think it should be more in the $700-750 range tops. I have a H&K USP Custom Combat that I wouldn't think of giving up for a FNP45....just my opinion, though. I think the FNP45 is a great gun, but H&K has never failed me.

romer522

Post by romer522 » 08 Dec 2010, 08:52

warlokk08 wrote:I am thinking the same as SeaHawkDriver. $400 more than the original FNP 45 for a threaded barrel and different sights is nuts. I love FNH, but unless i'm missing something (which is highly possible) I think it should be more in the $700-750 range tops. I have a H&K USP Custom Combat that I wouldn't think of giving up for a FNP45....just my opinion, though. I think the FNP45 is a great gun, but H&K has never failed me.

~$100-$150 for threaded barrel in limited quantities
$100-$150 for night sites
~$100 for extra machining for the red dot mount, limited quantities

Factor in the advertising for a different model in limited quantities, different case, cost to simply produce catalog and distribute another model, $400 more isn't really that bad if you actually want all the features it offers. If your only buying it for one of the 3 main features it seems spendy but it does indeed have enough value to justify it IMHO.

Now if they would just do a 9 tactical...............