Deciding on a shotgun

Discuss the FN Shotgun lineup; the Police Pump, Self-Loading Police and Tactical Police Shotgun.
spartacuslv

Deciding on a shotgun

Post by spartacuslv » 06 Jun 2011, 16:13

I am in the market for a shotgun and have narrowed my choices down to a SLP Tactical or a Benelli M2. I was wondering for those of you that own an SLP is there good after market support and accessories? I realize there is not much to do to that weapon out of the box but it is nice to have options to customize if you want. I know Benelli has some after market stuff and I know it is just like a Benelli expensive. I do not mind spending money on quality stuff but do not want to be raped either. Anything you can tell me would be appreciated.

Thanks

spartacuslv

Re: Deciding on a shotgun

Post by spartacuslv » 07 Jun 2011, 20:09

wow not one reply with some pros and cons on a FN SLP? Come on help a guy out give me some reasons to purchase this thing.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 07 Jun 2011, 20:51

Have you used the search function? In this subforum alone there are 4 threads with SLP in the title (although one is just for parts). Have you read through those? Even more show up on the search results page. The Benelli is also mentioned in a few threads

If you do some reading around here you'll see we're mostly handgun & rifle type people. A number of us own a shotgun (or 2) but aren't that heavily into them (unless its the Saiga, that seems popular) . The only subforum with less threads than shotguns is knives.

I hope you are not depending on us to be your only source for information on this. You should have better luck on a shotgun forum of some kind, I am sure they exist but I don't know what they are.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

spartacuslv

Post by spartacuslv » 08 Jun 2011, 16:17

I did not try to search with the search function in the forum I will try that next. I have asked on other forums as well just figured the the FN forum would have people willing to share some feed back.

I would not want to depend on a stranger for all my information but it could give me at least a good sense of what people have experienced and think about said weapons.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 08 Jun 2011, 17:26

Well there's part of the problem - we're the FiveseveNforum not the FNforum :laugh: Actually, I guess it depends on which one you put in - .net or .com :ponder:

Anyway, the search function is probably your best bet for info if no one has come & voiced their opinion yet. But I'd still recommend a shotgun forum of some kind. Good luck

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 08 Jun 2011, 19:33

For what you're paying to what you get with the Benelli, I would recommend going with the Remington 1100 and doing it out from there. Awhile back I considered the pro's and con's of the Benelli M4 vs. the Remington 1100, and I realized the 1100 was cheaper (adding the stock I wanted, buying ghost ring sights and having them installed, new foregrip), but then I decided on an 870 anyway (already had wingmasters, so I figured why not a 870 tactical). A friend at work basically did what I did to my 870 but with an 1100, and when I shot I really liked it for a semi. I also got a chance to shoot the M2 and liked that as well, but again the cost differential was a good bit between the two.

I haven't had any experience with any of FN's shotguns so I couldn't give you a review on those.

Hope this helps, or maybe opens you up for another route that might save you some money.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 09 Jun 2011, 05:15

The next tactical shottie I will own is the Benelli M3. Being able to switch from pump to auto should it be necessary is a big up for me. Plus there isn't a more rugged shottie than the Benelli.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

jppd47

Post by jppd47 » 09 Jun 2011, 05:24

This review might be of interest to you.
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewt ... 65&t=59976

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 09 Jun 2011, 05:59

Guess this thread just need a little activity before people started paying attention & dropping in :skep: :laugh:

SHEEPDOG
Gold Member
custom title: A.K.A. DW

Post by SHEEPDOG » 09 Jun 2011, 16:25

flyingirish04 wrote:The next tactical shottie I will own is the Benelli M3. Being able to switch from pump to auto should it be necessary is a big up for me. Plus there isn't a more rugged shottie than the Benelli.
I have three, they are great. The only problem is with mag ext. and fully loaded you don't want to go on an extended run. :laugh:

Oldbindlestiff
Gold Member

Post by Oldbindlestiff » 04 Aug 2014, 18:08

If I had the wrist and hand strength, I might want one of these:

http://www.serbu.com/top/superShorty.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Karma. Serving up justice one a**hole at a time.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 04 Aug 2014, 18:21

I've thought about those but you only have 2+1 capacity & the effective range is probably sucky.

Oldbindlestiff
Gold Member

Post by Oldbindlestiff » 04 Aug 2014, 18:40

Yes, the capacity is limited. Concealable firepower, though.
Karma. Serving up justice one a**hole at a time.

b800

Post by b800 » 02 Nov 2022, 13:35

I primarily shoot an M2 Tactical in 3 gun events where the shots are longer and the sights are useful. I would prefer the Benelli over an SLP for home defense just because I like the way it fits me, also the inertia system has proven to have ultimate reliability over many years. I've shot a couple of SLP's at events but that just didn't seem anything special to me, fit ok and shoot ok but they didn't stand out in any way.

When I decided to try a gas gun for 3 gun I went with the Mossberg 930 Rhythm, 12+1 made a difference for me and it's also a very smooth shooting shotgun.