Take down power of the 5.7

Discuss the FN lineup of tactical rifles; the FS2000, SCAR, and the venerable FAL.
drbgjung

Take down power of the 5.7

Post by drbgjung » 02 Nov 2016, 09:40

Hello. I am new to the 5.7 arena of fire arms and this forum so forgive me in advance if I am in the wrong area or my questions seem naive. So here goes. I have the FN 5.7 pistol and an AR57. I shoot the FN and American Eagle 40gr and 27gr rounds. My question is how strong is this round with regard to home protection. I see a lot of you tube videos comparing it to 22lr, 17hmr etc but no real data on how good this round is for home defense, penetration or stopping power. It is fun to shoot and accurate because of the velocity but will it stop an aggressive intruder? Is it good for varmint hunting.

Thanks,

Brandon

Buffman
Silver Member

Re: Take down power of the 5.7

Post by Buffman » 02 Nov 2016, 19:21

Both loads will provide adequate penetration from both barrels. 17hmr is going to have very shallow penetration, and any .22lr will probably have short ice pick wounds.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 03 Nov 2016, 04:16

The AE stuff is for plinking, if it's HD you're after the SS195 would be fine. Energy levels are in the 9mm ballpark, but you get more rounds and almost zero recoil. Just keep noise, muzzle flash, and concussion in mind, the FsN has some bark. Pistols don't really have "stopping power" until you get up into the magnums, there just isn't enough energy. Some will argue that, but it's the conclusion I've come to with my research (never shot anyone though). You want to stop someone? Shoot them with a .308. It's a balancing act though, how much gun do you want to deal with, how many walls do you want the round to go through, how many neighbors do you have, how precious is your hearing, blah blah blah, and I digress again.

If you're gonna shoot a bad guy with a handgun, the FsN isn't a bad choice. If you're going to use a rifle, might as well use a bigger one since you're shouldering an AR anyway. 5.56 with heavy Hornady TAPs wouldn't be a bad idea.

PS - Those YT videos always compare 5.7 velocities from a pistol to 22 velocities from a rifle, skews the results in their favor.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 03 Nov 2016, 07:25

DoubleJ wrote:

PS - Those YT videos always compare 5.7 velocities from a pistol to 22 velocities from a rifle, skews the results in their favor.

Even then the FsN with a 4.75 inch barrel is 30% more powerful.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

drbgjung

Post by drbgjung » 03 Nov 2016, 13:52

Thanks for the feedback. I look forward to putting many rounds downrange.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 09 Nov 2016, 15:47

Just make sure your cardio is in order before shooting an FsN, they throw brass roughly 600 feet forward and right.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 10 Nov 2016, 09:03

Our HD spring helps greatly with reducing the distance it is thrown.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz