FNH 2013 FNAR and Ballista

Discuss the FN lineup of tactical rifles; the FS2000, SCAR, and the venerable FAL.
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

FNH 2013 FNAR and Ballista

Post by blueorison » 07 May 2013, 13:57

I was only there on Friday for the NRA Show, but I had the opportunity to speak with the Marine in charge of the Ballista exhibit. I wasn't planning on checking it out, but I decided to, at the last moment.

Long story short, it is an incredibly modular platform, that is set up to accommodate future upgrades in energy packs for optics, NV/IR, light, etc.

People were circling around the platform and staring at it, but I thought this wasn't a very efficient way to see how well it worked, so I went up and picked it up, with permission from the marine.

Handling, it is quite heavy; you can check out how much at FN's site. I won't get into details so I can keep it short and sweet, but it is a platform with a lot of potential. One thing to note is that the interchangeable bbls are held in with friction/tension and locked with the lugs. It has 3 lugs on the bolt face.

I was very happy to see a new iteration of the FNAR.

I've always like the FNAR for the high value, and recommended it for a .308 semi-auto for its accuracy potential and low price versus a lot of heavier, dumber platforms that are unnecessarily cumbersome. The FNAR concept keeps things light and low-profile. Two things that are a high priority, to me.

However, in my search for a light, compact .308/5.56 platform as my first carbine, I scratched the RFB, FNAR, etc. off of my list for various reasons, after trying them out (or "running" them, if you're you're more of a ninja than I am). The TAVOR is now the only competitor in its class.

One of the reasons was the pistol grip on the FNAR. It didn't work for me, and was an extra part and weight that I didn't want nor need.

FN took that off the 2013 model, *IIRC, it is the competition model. It has a laminate blue and charcoal stock much like the competition O/U shotgun model on their website: http://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/commer ... ver-under/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They call it blue/black, but it looks more of a charcoal, to me.

Semantics.

I really am looking forward to shooting the new FNAR. Maybe even owning one.

But first, I have to get my first carbine... I keep putting it off. Then a shotgun. I keep putting that off, too. I spend too much resources on ammunition, instead of buying more guns.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Re: FNH 2013 FNAR and Ballista

Post by flyingirish04 » 07 May 2013, 15:18

Give you a good deal on an 870 that has top folding stock, extended mag, dual pistol grip when you are ready. Blue only deal.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

fooschnickens
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~

Post by fooschnickens » 10 May 2013, 14:20

I thought our mutual FN friend said they axed the FNAR comp model? If they're bringing it back I may be selling my FNAR for one of those and ditching my custom stock plans.
http://www.f00tography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 10 May 2013, 14:44

Beauty and attraction take 2nd place to function, for me; the FNAR competition was so gorgeous and functionally aesthetic that I very much want one as my first or second carbine.

I probably couldn't shoot it much at the range as far as plinking due to finances, but I'd take it to compete and hunt with with no qualms.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.