Atlanta rail line gets "yellow" color designation

General discussion.
CenCalSplicer

Atlanta rail line gets "yellow" color designation

Post by CenCalSplicer » 10 Feb 2010, 18:32

Ineresting/rediculous story. Some people making a mountain out of a mole hill. I dont think of asians and yellow together. This country seems to worry about everything but what cares. I do not feel that there was any intent to degrade the asian population of atlanta.

Mixed reaction on MARTA's ‘yellow line' rebranding
ShareThisPrint E-mail By Christian Boone

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

MARTA's decision to brand its train line into Doraville "yellow" has stirred quiet debate among some within Atlanta's growing Asian-American community.

Related
MARTA ‘yellow line' angers some

That's not to say any Atlantans of Asian descent think it's a particularly good idea, considering that "yellow," when used to describe skin color, carries a racist connotation. But judging by a random sampling of patrons and business owners Tuesday at Doraville's Asian Square, a groundswell of opposition to the rebranding seems unlikely to build.

"Medium upset" is how Amigo Electronics co-owner Sue Gung described the community's reaction. Her husband was medium indifferent.

"What difference does it make if it's yellow, gold or black," said Gary Gung, noting that New York and other major cities use color coding to help commuters better navigate their transit systems. "Make the issue about the economy or something else more important."

Though transit authority officials were warned by their former manager of equal opportunity and conflict resolution that some might be offended by a yellow line to Doraville, MARTA CEO Beverly Scott said his complaint was not indicative of everybody's feelings.

Scott says she has asked Asian-Americans whether they were offended by the use of "yellow line," and they told her they were not.

Part of that reticence is cultural, said Helen Kim, advocacy director for the nonprofit Pan Asian Center, among the groups scheduled to meet Friday with Scott. They hope to persuade her to change the line's name from yellow to gold.

The MARTA CEO was not present at a November meeting with local Asian-American community groups about the yellow line controversy. "There have been other complaints," Kim said. "The issue to us is that when someone brought this up, he was ignored. We understand the decision to name the line yellow wasn't made with the intention of offending, but refusing to listen to us is intentional."

Kim said reactions to the controversy vary based on several factors. Some Asians new to America may be unaware of the racist connotations of yellow, for example. And previous generations who've endured more racism are prone to be more sensitive to its usage.

"If my parents or grandparents knew about this, they would raise hell," said Kevin Hoang, 30. "[MARTA officials] should've thought this through more."

Kenny Wong, manager of the Hair Capital salon, said such racial issues tend to be overly scrutinized in America.

"I heard about [the controversy]," Wong said. "It doesn't matter to me. Only racial people think about things like this."

His friend, John Nguyen, owner of Saigon Deli, took a different approach. "I don't consider myself yellow. I'm gold," he said, smiling.

For Kim, the issue is not so much about race but more about a lack of respect given to Asian-American concerns.

"If a line going to the south side of the city was named the black line, I think you'd have a different outcome," she said. "The sensitivity to Asian issues is not there yet."

Heres the link: http://www.ajc.com/news/dekalb/mixed-re ... search_buy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EARS

Re: Atlanta rail line gets "yellow" color designation

Post by EARS » 10 Feb 2010, 19:20

Gee, if someone referrs to "that white line" on the road, can I make objections because "I'm white"?

CenCalSplicer

Post by CenCalSplicer » 10 Feb 2010, 19:51

Of course not, that would be racist!!! :lmao:

freelienr

Post by freelienr » 10 Feb 2010, 20:54

yep. A new breed of racism. Talk trash about white all you want, but the second you call a person black, then you should go to hell. It's sad we can't even say whats true these days. There are black people, there are white people so on so forth. I don't see it ias negative, it's only negative because they take it as an attacking remark these days.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 10 Feb 2010, 21:18

You have GOT to be joking?!?! The "Yellow Line" offends Asians?! There is a point where things are too-PC, and we're looooong past that...

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 10 Feb 2010, 21:40

Just to be fair then - I am offended by the white pole road in Iowa. :skep:

http://www.whitepoleroad.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 10 Feb 2010, 23:40

LOL'ed so hard when I read your post. Great post, OP.

Real Asians, not "Asian-Americans" (That term is completely bullshit. We're all American. If you feel the need to separate yourself, say you're Asian if you're actually FROM Asia, if you were born here, then choose American), don't give a shit, as you can read from many of the responses in the article. We're not simply that immature that we take offense to something so darn trivial.

This kid right here: "If my parents or grandparents knew about this, they would raise hell," said Kevin Hoang, 30. "[MARTA officials] should've thought this through more."

That kid needs to stop acting black and speaking for his enslaved ancestry and thinking he deserves to serve retribution for their cause. Dumbshit.

I put my money where my mouth is. The end of last semester, UT invited a well-known "Asian-American" speaker to speak to the Asians here. He writes a famous blog online called Angry Asian Man. http://www.angryasianman.com/angry.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm an officer in my Asian organization and at the end when they were patting each other on the back for making themselves feel better from the lackluster lukewarm talk they had, I raised my hand and stood up,

"The term Asian-American is bullshit, and as Asians, we need to stop crying about everything and represent what others have known about us; integrity. Sure, Hollywood stereotypes us all the time as ninja warriors who are sexually are emasculate (small penises). While this doesn't make sense to me, what really doesn't make sense to me is that we aren't focusing on changing certain crucial things, rather just knee-jerking to everything people say about us in society."

you should have seen their faces, they shit brix. A girl stood up and told me i was extremely hostile (duhh) and that she was offended by my Asian-American comment because she was mixed and saw herself as Asian-American (shit, if you're mixed, born in America, you're American. She was too dumb to understand this). I told her we were all American and those who weren't were Asian (born in Asia). Then the speaker very politely responded to me by saying "We respond to all these racist points in culture because every Asian-American has different concerns, and we cannot just ignore all of them for certain 'more important' concerns."

Basically he told me we had to cater to everyone. While this is dandy in concept (so is communism), it doesn't work in real life and makes us sound like a bunch of whiners.

Needless to say, I'm not invited to their little parties anymore. I'm too raw for them. It's ok though, they don't speak my language, because I'm Asian and American, an immigrant (came in 2000) and they who were born here are acting butthurt over concepts they barely understand (but their great grandfathers would be ashamed) feel the need to be the PC police.

I am constantly being thrown racist terms such as "yellow boy" and "chink" along with out of tune oriental mimicry by kids here (mostly drunks). While I get bored of such unoriginal content (I AM that cynical, thank you), I realize you have to change people one person at the time by showing them who you/Asians/Blacks/etc. really are, not enforcing political policies that forces people to do something. This won't change how they feel inside, just make them more bitter and resentful towards that race.

Sorry for the long post. I feel entitled (even though I'm not) to speak out as one of the few Asians on the forum.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

User42

Post by User42 » 11 Feb 2010, 00:04

Maybe they should call it the red line, since apparently a few peoples panties are getting damp. Yep I'm an ass, but I am still against racism in any form. If they planned this in advance, why didn't they just alphabetize the rail system, or pick a different color or something..... Seriously, everyone making a big deal out of nothing.
If a man dedicates his life to good deeds and the welfare of others, He will die unthanked and unremembered. If he exercises his genius bringing death and misery to billions, his name will echo down through the millennia for a hundred lifetimes.

freelienr

Post by freelienr » 11 Feb 2010, 01:07

:clap: blue!
good on you mate.

Llagoud
custom title: A is A

Post by Llagoud » 11 Feb 2010, 04:20

EARS wrote:Gee, if someone referrs to "that white line" on the road, can I make objections because "I'm white"?

No. You are not entitled to the "Offended" status. Please see Directive 1082 subsection 3.

We should ban all evil colors from society.... starting with those elitist 'Primaries' Red and Yellow.
The color wheel will now read OGBIV rather than the offensive ROYGBIV. (which is also blatantly sexist)

Better yet we can blend all colors together and refer only to 'Earth'.....all components of Earth shall be assigned numbers in lieu of offensive and divisive color names.
ie: Green will now be referred to ONLY as the 'Third Component of Earth'

To avoid future offenses these numbers will be randomly rotated periodically to stop the association of any particular number being seen to represent any particular oppressed class.

EARS

Post by EARS » 11 Feb 2010, 06:20

:lmao:

freelienr

Post by freelienr » 11 Feb 2010, 10:13

:agree: that's worthy of being posted under Humor. That sad part is there are people who would go that far because they think it would "fix" the problem.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 11 Feb 2010, 12:36

Talk to some one from ATL and ask them what MARTA really stands for.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

CenCalSplicer

Post by CenCalSplicer » 11 Feb 2010, 20:43

Llagoud wrote:
EARS wrote:Gee, if someone referrs to "that white line" on the road, can I make objections because "I'm white"?

No. You are not entitled to the "Offended" status. Please see Directive 1082 subsection 3.

We should ban all evil colors from society.... starting with those elitist 'Primaries' Red and Yellow.
The color wheel will now read OGBIV rather than the offensive ROYGBIV. (which is also blatantly sexist)

Better yet we can blend all colors together and refer only to 'Earth'.....all components of Earth shall be assigned numbers in lieu of offensive and divisive color names.
ie: Green will now be referred to ONLY as the 'Third Component of Earth'

To avoid future offenses these numbers will be randomly rotated periodically to stop the association of any particular number being seen to represent any particular oppressed class.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

CenCalSplicer

Post by CenCalSplicer » 11 Feb 2010, 20:45

freelienr wrote::clap: blue!
good on you mate.
+1 :clap: :thumb: Way to stick up for your beliefs and for having the balls to express yourself.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 11 Feb 2010, 21:39

Don't worry everyone, they decided to rename it the Gold Line.

fooschnickens
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~

Post by fooschnickens » 12 Feb 2010, 00:47

No comment.
http://www.f00tography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

The Keymaster
custom title: Keeper Of The Keys

Post by The Keymaster » 12 Feb 2010, 05:43

The Chicago transit lines have always been "colored".

Llagoud
custom title: A is A

Post by Llagoud » 12 Feb 2010, 06:38

The Keymaster wrote:The Chicago transit lines have always been "colored".
Good Lord man! You can't say "C____"!
The "C" word is on the BANNED words list along with the "R" word, the "P" word, the "L" word, the "N" word and the "T" word! {incomplete list, please see Party Memo]

I think the 'Gold' designation is a condemnation of Asians and a bigoted reference to the Golden Triangle.
This "Gold" line makes the thinly veiled accusation that all Asians are opium traffickers and users. Shame on MARTA.

freelienr

Post by freelienr » 12 Feb 2010, 09:26

For the love of our dear fluffy president don't tell the truth and say what you see! :furious: :lmao:

LK45s
Gold Member

Post by LK45s » 12 Feb 2010, 11:56

Thanks Rapier. I've been on that road many times, but didn't know the significance of it.
Rapier1772 wrote:Just to be fair then - I am offended by the white pole road in Iowa. :skep:

http://www.whitepoleroad.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. "

Thomas Jefferson

RedDog57
custom title: RedDog

Post by RedDog57 » 14 Feb 2010, 01:46

fooschnickens wrote:No comment.

MY comment is no comment.