What are you reading now?

General discussion.
Llagoud
custom title: A is A

What are you reading now?

Post by Llagoud » 21 Aug 2008, 06:34

I noticed quite a few readers here, and individual threads for specific books, and keep those coming.........
but how about a thread for just what is currently being read?
Sort of a running recommendation list?

I'm all over the board with books. Fiction, Non-Fiction, SciFi, Text etc.

I just started Yellow Fever, Black Goddess: The Coevolution of People and Plagues by Christopher Wills.
http://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Fever-Blac ... 850&sr=8-1
Wills combines a vivid, gripping history of the impact of diseases upon civilization with a sobering survey of current plagues such as AIDS and resurgent tuberculosis. He examines bubonic plague in the Byzantine Empire, which reemerged eight centuries later as Europe's Black Death; dispassionately reviews the unresolved controversy over whether Columbus had syphilis and introduced it to Spain; and follows the devastating course of malaria in West Africa, bejel (a syphilis-like disease) among Middle Eastern Bedouins and such scourges as yellow fever; yaws, an infectious, contagious tropical disease; typhoid; and Ebola. A biology professor at UC-San Diego, Wills maintains that pathogens have helped shape the diversity of complex ecosystems as well as humans' immunological and biochemical diversity. Furthermore, he suggests, some germs have made a "Faustian bargain," an evolutionary compromise, altering their structures to become dependent on the specific behavior of their chosen hosts. This more balanced, less alarmist report deserves a place alongside Laurie Garrett's The Coming Plague and Richard Preston's The Hot Zone. Photos.
So....what are you reading now?

wolcottaj

Re: What are you reading now?

Post by wolcottaj » 21 Aug 2008, 07:14

I am not a big reader but this is one of the books I read while deployed (and was passed around during down time). It is On Killing By Dave Grossman. Here is a review by Terence T. Gorski. One subject the review doesn't talk about. Is what your body goes through when you are in combat (what you think about and how your mind and body react). Also how much it has changed since the Civil War to todays combat.

This book is a "must read" for anyone who is seriously interested in the study violence and violence prevention. Lt. Col. Grossman does an excellent job of synthesizing the relevant literature related to the psychological effects of learning to kill while under the command of legitimate authority. He discusses the inherent resistance in most human beings to killing other people. He then discusses military training methods that have been designed to turn off that "don't kill" instinct in military personnel.

Grossman also discusses the traumatic stress induced by killing during combat and how the requirement to kill contributes to the psychiatric casualties of war. He also discusses the various methods of killing as determined by the psychological distance between the "killer" and the person being killed. He shows how the atrocities such as massacres periodically occur among "civilized" troops, operating under international laws of combat. He gives a number of case examples to show how the literature on killing actually emerged in real combat situations.

In his final chapter, Grossman describes how we are in fact imposing military type training that desensitizes people to violence and death upon our children in the form of graphically violent films and video games.

I strongly recommend this book to anyone interested in the dynamics of violence within society.

http://www.amazon.com/Killing-Psycholog ... 0316330116

Andy

panzermk2wife
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2wife » 21 Aug 2008, 08:40

I wish I had time to read "Big People Books" I love books on Serial Killers. But of coarse all I read are kid books. Some day I will read again :)
Visit Us on FaceBook
https://www.facebook.com/EliteAmmunition5.7x28mm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Leave Us Feedback on the Forum
http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=8630" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 21 Aug 2008, 09:26

NeXt by Michael Crichton.
We live in a time of momentous scientific leaps, a time when it's possible to sell our eggs and sperm online for thousands of dollars and to test our spouses for genetic maladies.

We live in a time when one fifth of all our genes are owned by someone else, and an unsuspecting person and his family can be pursued cross-country because they happen to have certain valuable genes within their chromosomes...

Devilishly clever, Next blends fact and fiction into a breathless tale of a new world where nothing is what it seems and a set of new possibilities can open at every turn.

Next challenges our sense of reality and notions of morality. Balancing the comic and the bizarre with the genuinely frightening and disturbing, Next shatters our assumptions and reveals shocking new choices where we least expect.

The future is closer than you think. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

From Publishers Weekly
Bestseller Crichton (Jurassic Park) once again focuses on genetic engineering in his cerebral new thriller, though the science involved is a lot less far-fetched than creating dinosaurs from DNA. In an ambitious effort to show what's wrong with the U.S.'s current handling of gene patents and with the laws governing human tissues, the author interweaves many plot strands, one involving a California researcher, Henry Kendall, who has mixed human and chimp DNA while working at NIH. Kendall produces an intelligent hybrid whom he rescues from the government and tries to pass off as a fully human child. Some readers may be disappointed by the relative lack of action, the lame attempts to lighten the mood with humor (especially centering on an unusually bright parrot named Gerard), and the contrived convergence of the main characters toward the end. Still, few can match Crichton in crafting page-turners with intellectual substance, and his opinions this time are less likely to create a firestorm than his controversial take on global warming in 2004's State of Fear.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

jmz5
Site Admin
custom title: Proprietor

Post by jmz5 » 21 Aug 2008, 09:35

Sounds like a good book Fly, going to have to get a copy.
كاف

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 21 Aug 2008, 09:36

I've been reading the forum, lots of HTML, PHP, and JavaScript.

:D

wolcottaj

Post by wolcottaj » 21 Aug 2008, 09:43

f3rr37 wrote:I've been reading the forum, lots of HTML, PHP, and JavaScript.

:D

Glad I am not doing that! :wall:

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 21 Aug 2008, 09:54

You guys need to read "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrel. Best work of non-fiction ive ever read. Its about a navy seal team that gets ambushed in afgahnistan and one man's incredible tale of survival. Here is a good review: http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/08/09/arts/lone.php Trust me on this one, this book absolutely rocks! I cant believe they havent made a movie out of it yet.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 21 Aug 2008, 11:02

Okay. That one is next on my list!

BIGCAP

Post by BIGCAP » 21 Aug 2008, 15:03

Grantness wrote:You guys need to read "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrel. Best work of non-fiction ive ever read. Its about a navy seal team that gets ambushed in afgahnistan and one man's incredible tale of survival. Here is a good review: http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/08/09/arts/lone.php Trust me on this one, this book absolutely rocks! I cant believe they havent made a movie out of it yet.

I did not know they had a book out on this op. I will have to pick it up. I remember this from the news.

murphies_finest
custom title: King Thread Killer.

Post by murphies_finest » 27 Aug 2008, 04:43

My favorite author is Jeffrey Deaver I have read almost all of his books! If anyone saw the movie "the bone collector" with denzel washington and bradgelina jolie this is that movies's author. currently right now I am readin a book called "The Fraternity of the Stone" the book was published in 1985. its about an assassin who work for a group called "scalpel" and he decides not to do his last job but to join the catholic church and become a Carthusian Monk. its pretty good so far.
Keep Working Millions on Welfare Depend on YOU.

ArtosDracon
Banned

Post by ArtosDracon » 27 Aug 2008, 04:49

At the moment? 57forum. What are you reading? :skep:

Llagoud
custom title: A is A

Post by Llagoud » 27 Aug 2008, 05:44

ArtosDracon wrote:At the moment? 57forum. What are you reading? :skep:
That right there ^!

I'm about 1/2 way through Yellow Fever, Black Goddess.
It's good, just a bit dry.
Amazing how many recent plague outbreaks go unreported in MSM.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 27 Aug 2008, 07:31

Just started Steven King's series, the Gunslinger - the Dark Tower. My wife has been trying to get me to read it for 10 years. For my birthday she bought me the series and has guilted me into starting it. To say that it starts out 'dry' is...well, accurate. For those who have read it and remember how the book opens, you understand.

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 27 Aug 2008, 09:14

Im reading Lee's Modern Reloading 2nd Edition :D

Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Post by Esteves » 27 Aug 2008, 09:19

panzermk2wife wrote:I wish I had time to read "Big People Books" ... But of coarse all I read are kid books. Some day I will read again :)
+1
--
S
© 2005-2017 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 27 Aug 2008, 09:53

I am a reader, and I often read a few books at one time. Right now I am reading the Reagan Diaries, The Price of Silence, and Lords of Chaos. The first is self-explanitory, the second is a book about WitSec that was written by a friend of mine's dad. The last is about the black metal underground musicians and their apparent realationship with Satanic cults. It is a pretty interesting book. I like to expand my horizons and this book does that. It takes a look at the some hate crimes and church burnings throughout the world and the fact that they were carried out by members of Satanic Rock Bands. It focuses on a bunch of Scandanavian events and bands. Pretty interesting.

One book that I recommend for everyone is Blood Meridian or The Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy (he wrote No Country for Old Men, also very good). Blood Meridian may be one of the greatest novels ever written in the English language and is based on a historic scalping party that operated in the 1850s along the TX and Mexico boarder, killing Indians and selling their scalps. The book is pure poetry. Bloody, violent, raw, unadulterated poetry.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 27 Aug 2008, 10:50

Mark Green

War Stories of the Tankers,

sub title
American Armored Combat 1918 to Today
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

flyingirish04
Gold Member