What are you reading now?

General discussion.
Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Re: What are you reading now?

Post by Cyberfly » 11 Jun 2013, 16:27

I started to make this it's own post, but figured that if you're a reader, you might actually check this thread:
IF anybody is interested:
Tomorrow and tomorrow only! ALL DAY tomorrow (6-12), on AMAZON for Kindle, Return of the Phoenix ebook will be available as a FREEBIE as my birthday present to YOU!
I hate birthdays because they just make you older, but this year, I'm celebrating by giving away my first book to anybody who wants it. Only available for ONE DAY so don't delay...I'm a cheap SOB, so take advantage of it while it lasts! :D
Tell your friends, tell your neighbors, spread the word. It's a one day only deal!
And I hope you enjoy it! :)

Yes, this is the book I wrote. The second book in the series is about to be released and this is the first book in that series.
jmz and greenberg have both read it and left good reviews. Others seem to like it as well. I'm reserving judgment... LOL!
I will ask, if you download it and like it, please leave a review. An HONEST review. That's all I ask.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 11 Jun 2013, 16:57

Fly, I will read that one. Sounds good. Currently blazing my way through my addiction to Vince Flynn (Mitch Rapp), Lee Child (Jack Reacher), and Stephen Hunter (Bob Lee Swagger) books. If I can just finish all three series, I can get on to more productive reading. Not really the best use of my time, but they are addicting and I do really enjoy them.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 11 Jun 2013, 17:20

I'm a Vince Flynn fan, too. And David Baldacci. And Mark Tufo. And CJ Baker. And Joe McKinney. There's a lot of writers that I like to read. I just wish I had more time to enjoy them.

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon

Post by jgreenberg01 » 11 Jun 2013, 17:21

That's a really sweet offer Fly, but...

Ahem, where's the second book already?!?!?

:D
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

Oldbindlestiff
Gold Member

Post by Oldbindlestiff » 11 Jun 2013, 17:23

Thank you, H.S.!
Karma. Serving up justice one a**hole at a time.

cvande
Silver Member

Post by cvande » 11 Jun 2013, 17:24

I purchased the first book and loved it..... Awesome B-Day present!! Now, just waiting for no. 2 ... :-)
Change is inevitable; progress is optional.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 11 Jun 2013, 17:53

Yeah, Jeff, I know. It was supposed to have been last month.
All I can do is apologize. My publisher took on even more writers and they've been swamped. AND, a wee bit of (exciting for ME, anyway) news...
I've sort of fallen in with some bigger authors and we're all going to be 'advertising' each others work in the back of our books. For me, this is AWESOME, because some of these guys have upwards of 20K downloads a month...
They thought they were going to release Whispers first (stand alone ghost story), but ran into problems editing it (it's written in Okie). So they've switched gears and went to book two of the Monster Squad series. Hopefully SOON, since they've made this move.
They release the first one as a freebie, hope people LOVE it and they'll buy the second one. Plus, it exposes people to the author who might not otherwise take a chance on an 'unknown'. May or may not be a smart move. I'm not sure yet.
Like most writers, I'm VERY critical of my own stuff.
So, I'll wait and see.

fd57

Post by fd57 » 11 Jun 2013, 20:13

Eleven Rings: The Soul of Success

By Phil Jackson

Phil is a good writer. Probably a better basketball coach, but a good writer nonetheless. Has authored a couple of books that draw even non-basketball fans in. Yours truly included.

Eleven Rings is his latest. And it's good stuff. Plenty of Eastern Philosophy references.

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 18 Jun 2013, 13:09

Ok, Fly, it worked. I downloaded and read "Return of the Phoenix". My turn for review and comment. Not sure I know how to be anything but honest.

It started off a little slow. Not because it wasn't what I expected. I had no idea what to expect. It just felt a little amateur, maybe like something I would turn out. I read a lot and every once in a while I think I might be able to write. Louis L'Amour I am not.

As I got into it, I started thinking that the supernatural (werewolves, vampires) would be easy to write about because the author sets the rules. If we have a plot dilemma, just add in a new rule, say, natural born vs. converted monster. By a third of the way into the book, I was getting pretty critical, but I was still reading. You found your groove by the end of the first half, and it started reading like an experienced storyteller work. Somewhere in the last quarter of the book I realized I was hooked, and I was getting pissed because the storylines were way too complex to ever wind up in the pages left, and I knew you were going to leave me hanging. I finished it at lunch today and thought, I hate it when I am right.

Bottom line is, the free birthday gift worked. It doesn't really matter what book 2 costs when it comes out, I'm in.

I liked the way you got Jay and Lisa into the book. I started wondering who else on this forum found their way in, or was represented. As the former politician on this board, I'm pretty emphatic that I AM NOT Franklin. :)

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 19 Jun 2013, 16:22

Finally! An HONEST review. Wait, I shouldn't say that. I'm sure the other reviews were honest, too. Just...they were all 'glowing'. Yours is more critical. :)
I'm NOT a professional in any way, shape, form or fashion. I've written a lot of technical stuff in the past, and some short stuff that got published in college back in the 90's but...dude, that was COLLEGE. So yes, it is amateurish in many ways. Hey, it's my first attempt at this. And honestly, I'm learning as I go along. Stephen King I'll never be. But then, honestly, I don't think Stephen King is all that great either. He just comes up with some really kewl off the wall scary shit that people dig.
But you're right. When you're the writer, you can set the rules. Some people like it, others won't. It's the story that either pulls you in or doesn't. And not everyone will like what you write. If they do, that is flippin AWESOME! If they don't, all you can do is say, 'sorry man. I was hoping you would, but hey, here's some other guys that you might like...' and send them on their way. So far, I've been pretty lucky. Most of the folks that have read it are into that genre.
The story DOES progress and really, Phoenix is more to introduce folks to the characters. HOWEVER, Jay and Lisa are the only forum peeps in it.
I have a stand alone novel called Whispers that is due out soon that has Justin and blue and a bunch of other people in it. I just went on Facebook and said, "I'm about to start a new project and expect to kill off a LOT of people. If you want your name to be used, post something here..." and had like 25 people sign up right off the bat. I started pulling names as I needed them.
My HOPE is that I can afford to buy paperbacks for each of the volunteers and sign it for them for their volunteering their names to be used and send it to them. I get a small discount, but this book is nearly twice the size of Phoenix and printing costs are based on size. But, honestly, I think its a better story than the first one. Maybe I'm biased. I enjoyed writing it more, I know that. I guess the public's feedback will be more of a measuring stick on whether it's a better story or not.
But, I'm glad you liked it enough to want to read the next one!

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 19 Jun 2013, 16:28

Oh, and Mike, if you would, please leave a review on Amazon for me. Good, bad or indifferent. It's all a numbers game and my publisher keeps pushing me for 'reviews'. Something to do with rankings and...I don't keep up with it, I just always ask people to do it if they wouldn't mind.

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 19 Jun 2013, 22:02

Done. My first review on Amazon.

I just heard that Vince Flynn passed away today after losing his fight with cancer. What a loss. I just discovered his books last year and have read all but two of the Mitch Rapp books. I've been pacing myself, hoping he would come out with a new one soon. I'll have to find another author to fill that hole.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 20 Jun 2013, 08:39

I know.
It totally ruined my day yesterday and I had him and his family in my prayers ever since I heard.
Mike, you might want to check out David Baldacci. I really like his style of writing, too. There's only one Flynn, but for the longest time, Baldacci was one of my faves. Also Ted Bell. Some think his writing is a bit over the top, but I really enjoyed it.

Fridge Raptor

Post by Fridge Raptor » 30 Jul 2013, 09:57

The Hunter by Tom Woods. Very action packed from start to finish. First book I've ever read that the main character uses a 5.7 pistol as his carry piece.

The book was also published under another title "the killer".

If you like fast paced shoot 'em up assassin books and 5.7 x 28... It may be for you.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 30 Jul 2013, 15:41

Reading "Coolidge" by Amity Shlaes right now.

He may be the most underrated president ever. Free market champion that was able to save himself and the party from going down the path of the progressives at least for a few years. Too bad Hoover took over after him.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

ddouglas
Gold Member

Post by ddouglas » 30 Jul 2013, 15:58

"Unintended Consequences" by John Ross. With 18 pages of posts describing "What I'm Reading Now", I'm not sure if this book has been commented on or not. This book is 861 pages, so it takes awhile to get through. The book got interesting--to me--after about 150 pages. The story chronicles the history of the gun culture, gun rights and gun control in the United States from the early 1900s through the late 1990s. Although clearly a work of fiction, the story is heavily laced with historical information, including real-life historical figures who play minor supporting roles. The novel also features unusually detailed and intricate facts, figures and explanations of many firearms-related topics. The cover has a picture of Lady Justice being assaulted by an ATF agent.

You can read a better description than I can provide by Googling "Henry Bowman"--the central character in the book. The book describes the many abuses by BATF and how the politicians and the "agencies" are determined to subjugate the American people. It's a pretty good read. And it will really awaken you--particularly the younger members of the FiveSevenForum--to some of the really bad s*%t that the 'gummint' has done over the years. (The old farts will be re-awakened.) Events like the Randy Weaver case, the Branch Davidians, and a bunch more are described and discussed in character conversations, not a boring narrative.

It's also good in describing some firearms we don't see or hear much about. Like 4-bore double rifles. And even a 2-bore that shoots a 3,100gn bullet at 1,200fps. Ouch.

Good read. I didn't think I was going to like it, but, as I said, somewhere around page 150, it caught my attention.

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member

Post by jgreenberg01 » 31 Jul 2013, 04:40

Reading Full Moon Rising. 2/3 through it and it is quite an engaging sequel. I hope it won't be another cliff-hanger ending, but I suspect it will be.

If that's the case, then I hope the author can get the next book out in a reasonable amount of time.

Just sayin'...

Anyone, anyone, Fly?

:p
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member

Post by jgreenberg01 » 02 Aug 2013, 12:05

jgreenberg01 wrote:Reading Full Moon Rising. 2/3 through it and it is quite an engaging sequel. I hope it won't be another cliff-hanger ending, but I suspect it will be.

If that's the case, then I hope the author can get the next book out in a reasonable amount of time.

Just sayin'...

Anyone, anyone, Fly?

:p
Ok, finished it only to find...
Coming Soon:

Coalition of the Damned

A Moster Squad Novel
Book 3
FLY?!?!?!? (he said, similar to the way they way James T. Kirk screamed "KAHN")

I'm so annoyed now. How long of a wait will this one be?

Bad Fly. Bad.

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 02 Aug 2013, 18:52

Jeez, nobody told me Fly's book 2 is out, and already I hear whining about the ending? Must mean it is worth reading. I can't find it in Google Play, so I guess I have to remember my Amazon password and go find it. I tried a David Balducci short story and was not all that impressed. It involved time travel, which makes for more questions than answers. I finished a couple more "Reacher" books by Lee Child. I keep expecting to lose interest in them, but they keep getting better. Someone recommended John Sandford's books, starring Lucas Davenport. I read Rules of Prey. Not bad, but not even close to a replacement for Mitch Rapp in Vince Flynn's books.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 03 Aug 2013, 22:47

Sorry Jeff (and Mike), we were moving and I just got my computer unboxed! Talk about withdrawals!!
And my editor calls me to tell me that they put ROP on a 99 cent special and I need to promote it...uh...dude. I have no internet, no computer and just my Black berry. Not much I can do with that.
Oops. Bad timing.
Oh well.
I hate moving. I'd rather take a flogging then have to move again.
Anybody ever remodel a complete bathroom in a day because their wife THINKS she smelled mold behind 1960's pink tile?
Yeah.
Well, I did.
AFTER she spent three weeks convincing me that we needed to KEEP said pink tile because 'it was her bathroom and she liked it'.
And no. There was no mold. But it didn't stop her from taking a sledgehammer to it...because that's how they do it on DYI channel...
I hurt in places I didn't know I had.
And yes, I am avoiding answering your question as to when to expect COTD to be out. They tell me 4-6 months between books, then wait nearly EIGHT to release the second. Who the hell knows?
ALTHOUGH, I will say this. Book FOUR was supposed to be the end. Complete. No more.
My editor called to tell me...he loved it too much. I CAN'T let the series end there. I HAVE to keep it going. So...the Monster Squad will most likely continue on after book 4. With new characters and new adventures and hopefully more in-depth missions of what they were intended for...rather than one long assed soap opera. And hopefully fewer cliff hangers. :thumb: