What are you reading now?

General discussion.
Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Re: What are you reading now?

Post by Cyberfly » 05 May 2012, 20:02

About to start the third book in the Hunger Games series. Had to wait for 'life' to settle down a bit for the missus to add it to the archive.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

brianz

Post by brianz » 10 May 2012, 03:37

f3rr37 wrote:I bought it... debating on whether I should read it. Haha.
I'm sure there are people out there who enjoy it, I just couldn't stand it as I felt it ruined the original by changing certain aspects of it. I don't want to spoil anything so I am just giving my broad opinion.

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator
custom title: Sweeper

Post by MrSlippyFist » 10 May 2012, 07:14

Stranger in a Strange Land. Heinlein. Haven't read it since high school
Embrace the Suck

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 10 May 2012, 07:36

I just finished "American Sniper". Brought back a lot of memories from my Navy days, and the whole "Needs of the Navy" stuff. Very glad for him that he and his wife are still together. Know that is NOT the norm in SOCOM.

Decided to borrow a copy of "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" from a friend's shelf. Quick read, almost through it. Entertaining, but I feel it could have been developed a bit better. The whole Vampire Conspiracy was really weakly defined and there were several holes in it. At least thus far. I think I will wait for DVD on the movie they are making on it, if the book ends up being just OK, as it seems now.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator

Post by MrSlippyFist » 10 May 2012, 07:59

I know that its only entertainment, but I find the vampire fad annoying. Almost as annoying as the zombie fad. I'm sure whatever fad comes next will be much worse however.
Embrace the Suck

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 10 May 2012, 08:15

I find the Vampire mythology much more appealing then Zombies. There is a whole classical literature history to the Vampire folklore, whereas zombies are more cheap, and under developed apocolyptic rendering.

As a history buff, I have always enjoyed any medium or genre that allows the reader to experience a vast span of history through a single character. As long as the historical context is correct, or at least woven correctly together within the story.

That being said, the Twilight Saga is pure crap, and I can't stand it.

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator

Post by MrSlippyFist » 10 May 2012, 08:16

Those aren't vampires. Those are undead f*****s.
Embrace the Suck

Llagoud
custom title: A is A

Post by Llagoud » 11 May 2012, 09:01

Llagoud wrote:MadOgre's 'Uprising USA'

http://madogre.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.amazon.com/Uprising-USA-eboo ... 341&sr=8-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
After a Chinese biological attack leaves 90 percent of the United States infected by the zombie virus, George Hill, AKA, the Mad Ogre, springs to the defense of his country with every manner of firepower known to mankind. George and his allies beat back the zombie hordes, killing hundreds of thousands of the undead beasts in an attempt to save America from extinction.

This is funny. I just got to the Sarah Palin cameo at about 3/4 in. :laugh:

Proofing/Editing is a little weak but I picked it up for free so I'm not complaining. :thumb:
Well worth the read. :thumb: :thumb:

Oldbindlestiff
Gold Member

Post by Oldbindlestiff » 11 May 2012, 12:12

Hunting Trips of a Ranchman and The Wilderness Hunter
-- Theodore Roosevelt Written in the late 1880's.
Karma. Serving up justice one a**hole at a time.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 11 May 2012, 12:26

TR was a decent writer. I love his hunting stories from Africa.

Oldbindlestiff
Gold Member

Post by Oldbindlestiff » 12 May 2012, 05:56

TR is a fascinating character. His prose is quite good. His dedication to conservation as well as hunting was exceptional. I'm kind of on a "TR retrospective" at the moment. In fact, I just ordered a lever gun in .35 Remington. (45-70, TR's "Big Medicine", has just too much recoil for my much-abused neck and back.)
Karma. Serving up justice one a**hole at a time.

Llagoud

Post by Llagoud » 17 May 2012, 14:40

APOCALYPSE LAW [Kindle Edition]
-John Grit

http://www.amazon.com/APOCALYPSE-LAW-eb ... 186&sr=8-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A plague wipes out ninety-five percent of the world's population, taking Nate Williams' wife and daughter and leaving him with his thirteen-year-old son to survive on their farm. In the bedlam of lawlessness and starvation, hungry, desperate men arrive from the nearest town to take their meager supplies. A benevolent stranger keeps coming in the night to steal food. Sensing the stranger means no harm, Nate leaves food out as charity. But the stranger ignores offers to join them, then comes to their aid when a gang of prison escapees, led by an old nemesis of Nate's, raids their home. In the end, it is the kindness of a father desperate to save his son that may give two families and the stranger an opportunity to build a new life in a post-apocalypse world.

Shaokhano

Post by Shaokhano » 17 May 2012, 20:43

Killing Lincoln - Bill O'Reilly

Mainly from boredom.

SmartAsCarrots

Post by SmartAsCarrots » 22 May 2012, 15:43

"The Unforgiving Minute" Craig Mullaney

“If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run -
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man my son!” -Rudyard Kipling

gryphon

Post by gryphon » 24 May 2012, 16:57

Shaokhano wrote:Killing Lincoln - Bill O'Reilly
Is it any good?

Llagoud

Post by Llagoud » 27 May 2012, 05:29

Apocalypse Law 2

http://www.amazon.com/Apocalypse-Law-2- ... 331&sr=8-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mcracco

Post by mcracco » 29 May 2012, 03:21

Code Talker: The First and Only Memoir By One of the Original Navajo Code Talkers of WWII

Fascinating. The Navajo language is undocumented and extremely complex. Despite their country treating them like crap a handful of native Americans joined the Marines during WWII and developed a secret code based on their native language. Helped win the war in the Pacific. Gives some real insight as to the sacrifices some made.

Llagoud

Post by Llagoud » 30 Jun 2012, 04:36

mcracco wrote:Code Talker: The First and Only Memoir By One of the Original Navajo Code Talkers of WWII

Fascinating. The Navajo language is undocumented and extremely complex. Despite their country treating them like crap a handful of native Americans joined the Marines during WWII and developed a secret code based on their native language. Helped win the war in the Pacific. Gives some real insight as to the sacrifices some made.
Mo's Daddy and Uncle did something similar with Seminole. I'd like more time to talk to Uncle Buddy about that. :thumb:

Now reading The Mote in God's Eye- Niven/Pournelle 1974
This is the first collaboration between Niven and Pournelle, two masters of hard science fiction, and it combines Pournelle's interest in the military and sociology with Niven's talent for creating interesting, believable aliens. The novel meticulously examines every aspect of First Contact, from the Moties' biology, society, and art, to the effects of the meeting on humanity's economics, politics, and religions. And all the while suspense builds as we watch the humans struggle toward the truth. --Brooks Peck
http://www.amazon.com/The-Mote-Gods-Lar ... 0671741926" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Crazy 1970's Sci-Fi. Pocket Computers!

Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Post by Esteves » 30 Jun 2012, 07:42

Llagoud wrote: Now reading The Mote in God's Eye- Niven/Pournelle 1974
This is the first collaboration between Niven and Pournelle, two masters of hard science fiction, and it combines Pournelle's interest in the military and sociology with Niven's talent for creating interesting, believable aliens. The novel meticulously examines every aspect of First Contact, from the Moties' biology, society, and art, to the effects of the meeting on humanity's economics, politics, and religions. And all the while suspense builds as we watch the humans struggle toward the truth. --Brooks Peck
http://www.amazon.com/The-Mote-Gods-Lar ... 0671741926" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Crazy 1970's Sci-Fi. Pocket Computers!
On the one hand, it's always interesting to take a retrospective look at what SciFi thought the future might look like. (I'm still waiting for flying cars, a la George Jetson.)
On the other, SciFi is merely a backdrop for the story telling - which is always about characters and how they react to situations (however fantastic.)
On the gripping hand... :)
--
S
© 2005-2017 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 30 Jun 2012, 14:46

I just read 'Fearless'. Absolutely wonderful book. Heart wrenching, emotion driven, and motivational. Also recommend the NRA Life of Duty short on Adam Brown, the SEAL that Fearless chronicles. He was a drug addict that turned his life around and became a DEVGRU Operator, and won Operator of the Year honors in the Teams several years, decorated with a silver star, multiple bronze stars w/ valor, and was known by his peers as the finest SEAL they served with.

The book does have a very Christian theme to it, as Adam used religion to turn his life around and guide him.

Highly recommend.

Had to switch it up after that and re read some Hunter S Thompson. Read 'Rum Diaries' again earlier this year, decided to go back and re read 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas'. That book is absolutely hilarious, movie was decent too. Much better then the "Rum Diaries" adaptation.