How do you convince someone to get training?

General discussion.
Rapier1772
Global Moderator

How do you convince someone to get training?

Post by Rapier1772 » 23 Jun 2014, 09:24

Recently, my mom got a permit & bought a LCR .38 for concealed carry; I had her bring it when she came down for a visit so I could see how she did with the defensive shooting scenarios. It was as bad as I thought it would be...
I'm afraid that if she has to use it, she's going to kill the wrong someone :facepalm:
I pushed training & practice but she didn't really listen, I doubt she'll do anything more than what I had her do at the range.
She's a decent shot IF she can take her time but that's not defensive shooting. She has some things so set in her mind that I couldn't teach her differently.

Couple of good things:
I was able to educate on target areas - one of her hits was near the groin, she made a joke about it & I explained why that's actually a good hit. I also explained what else is a good hit & no warning shots (LCR only has 5 rounds, don't waste them).
She does realize that just because someone got shot, that doesn't mean they are out of the fight.
We got her "jumpies" out of the way. She hadn't even tried it out yet & so when she fired her first shot, she jumped. I mean her whole body, not just the gun.

Couple of bad things:
Takes 5-10 seconds to get a shot off.
Shoots from the bellybutton (both hands) because she "won't have time to aim if something does happen." I kind of got her away from that but she still tries to fire without aiming (gun not near the line of sight) & when she did that, she usually missed (at ~10ft).
Believes she doesn't need training, what she knows is good enough - although admits training on the laws would be good.
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

bruteandbear1
custom title: CHICAGO BEARS!!!

Re: How do you convince someone to get training?

Post by bruteandbear1 » 23 Jun 2014, 10:59

What i did with my mom was a made A Game Of It. I Got Like 30 Old Jugs Filled With Water. I Placed It Between 10 Feet And 25 Yards. You Have To Make It Fun For Women Or They Wont Do It Cause There Women Lol. I Tricked Her And It Might Work Well For Your Mom To. I Also Put A Dud In Her Revolver So I Could Tell If She Was Flinching Or Jumping.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 23 Jun 2014, 12:18

If my mom & I lived closer together I would try that, unfortunately it's over 500 miles one way.
Thanks
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 23 Jun 2014, 15:07

Make it fun, especially for the ladies. Bring their friends out, let her show her friends her gear.

It has to become something inherent to them that they want to do.

Otherwise, 99% of the time you will NOT convince someone to get training.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.