Open carry

General discussion.
Ospy
custom title: Brian

Open carry

Post by Ospy » 02 Apr 2011, 16:29

I live in Washington State - a traditionally blue state. Some have said it is in the top 3 liberal states in the country. WA however has very reasonable "open carry" laws with only a few places listed as not allowed.
Texas, on the other hand, a very conservative state, open carry is simply illegal. Odd....
Anyway, does anyone here open carry? Do you get a lot of dirty looks, comments, spat upon? Just curious how people react.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Re: Open carry

Post by f3rr37 » 02 Apr 2011, 16:39

Nope. I have in the past, only when I was on my way to go on a 4day hiking/camping trip. Other than that, I won't. I've thought about it, but I've been thinking it over lately... and come to the conclusion that it is not a very good idea, it makes you a target.

Just my .02

Ospy

Post by Ospy » 02 Apr 2011, 16:46

I absolutely think you're right. I wouldn't either. I have often heard about the way people react. Truthfully, I can't imagine anyone saying much. The nice thing about living in an open-carry-friendly state though is, if you're CC and your shirt comes up (or whatever) allowing a brief peek, you haven't broken any laws

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 02 Apr 2011, 17:46

I don't truely understand the idea of open carry other than looking tough! Your not L.E., and your advertising that your armed? I tend to way on the side of caution and like for potential criminals to not know........

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 02 Apr 2011, 17:52

Even if I don't do it, I think it should be legal everywhere. Period, end of story.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

Ospy

Post by Ospy » 02 Apr 2011, 18:10

flyingirish04 wrote:Even if I don't do it, I think it should be legal everywhere. Period, end of story.
True

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 02 Apr 2011, 18:41

Opinions are just that....

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 02 Apr 2011, 18:43

I agree with Irish :)

Idaho is an open carry state but I rarely see people carry that way - out in the boonies or on the range if ever.
Open carry does two things:
- Serves as a visual deterrent for potential BGs (people that are considering committing a crime).
- Makes you the primary target for definite BGs (people that are going to commit a crime).

When I carry, it is concealed carry. The only exception is out at the range & even then it is still rare.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

firestorm248
Gold Member

Post by firestorm248 » 02 Apr 2011, 18:49

Its legal here in Louisiana and I would probably do it if I didn’t live on a military base. Even though its legal though I have heard of cops being called and harassing people who open carry.

Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Post by Esteves » 02 Apr 2011, 19:08

It's fairly common to see here. I've done it myself. I've never had anyone run away screaming "Gun, gun, gun!" nor had any extra hassle from LE.

For the reasons that everyone else mentioned, I prefer CC in an urban environment.

My OWB holsters are much more comfortable than any that truly conceal, especially if the weather and activities call for light clothing.
--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Ariac

Post by Ariac » 02 Apr 2011, 22:44

I open carry almost every day here. I don't do it to be tought or anything like that. To me it is really just a matter of practicality. I like a full size gun, and never have found a comfortable way to carry concealed beside my p-64 on my ankle. That being said, as a matter of corrolation, my work place is the only one that has never been robbed in our entire chain. All my patrons claim it is because of me, though I wouldn't ever claim that.

eddie

Post by eddie » 03 Apr 2011, 04:18

i usually carry concealed. i think it just makes some people less uncomfortable if they do not see the gun. i have carried openly with no issues many time as well.

Bones
custom title: Bones

Post by Bones » 03 Apr 2011, 05:31

We have open carry here. I actually have a quick story. We had a search and recovery effort yesterday to find a missing person in a very wooded swampy area that coyotes are running wild and are in fairly large packs .We left our home to meet up with the rest of the group of 50 at 8 am for the search. I normally carry in the waist cc. Well since we were going to be in the swamp I decided to grab the 17 and the serpa due to the fact that both were very rugged and could take the abuse of the woods and swamp, thick, and thin. Well we hit 711 on the way for a couple of dews and snacks. I had a police officer in his car about 50 feet away grill me as I walked in the store and back out to my truck. I understand that is his job but from now on I dont want the attention but its my right and will be doing it again . I felt as if I was doing something wrong. That needs to change and I am proud to say yes. I know open carry more often just for the fact of to make open carry more of the norm

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 03 Apr 2011, 06:33

Bones, what did he say to you? Did he come up and ask for your ID?

Open carry people constantly get harassed by the police and people calling them in to the police. I find this very saddening.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 03 Apr 2011, 09:32

If he was menacing at all Bones, I would at the very least report him to the NRA and to his local PD. Make sure you start off by crediting the police for being usually excellent and professional and that the situation is more vexing due to those circumstances. You felt like you were being treated like a criminal and that is harassment. Unfortunately, that is the only way these uppity officers learn. There are a minority out there that feel they should be the only one with firearms or standard capacity firearms. They need to be weeded out of the force by any legal means necessary. They have no place protecting people if they don't believe in civil rights.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

Sweet Chuckie

Post by Sweet Chuckie » 03 Apr 2011, 09:49

Hi guys, I've tried to post 2 images, but things don't seem to function correctly for me at times... :o)

Anyhow, when scootering or just out in the boonies here in Montana, I open carry. When around towns and people, I carry concealed. While we can carry open most any place, it just seems prudent to not make waves if it isn't needed. While I most certainly will carry however, if I feel the need, discretion can be cool.

As I'm into photography, I tried to come up with "bags" of a proper size and configuration, with camera company logos showing for the "stealth" factor. I couldn't find any so I simply added the logo to a little leather bag, in which I carry my PT 740. I carry the extra clip in a mini camera case, as the picture?? shows.

When I want to carry a larger pistol, I use the "European Man Bag" in the other picture. It easily holds the FsN, or a Sig P229, or a Glock 22, along with spare clips and a cheeseburger... :o)

Now some might call these things purses, but I prefer not too... :o)
As I'm 70, I can pretty much wear what I want because I'm somewhat eccentric. And each provides a nice way to CC. Draw time is understandably slower, but I'm pretty slow on any type draw. Either work well for me, and I just thought it might help others think outside the box.

Thank, Sweet Chuckie

Ospy

Post by Ospy » 03 Apr 2011, 11:39

What I'd like to see....I can imagine a day when honest citizens all carry open. I believe a society where you go to the local mall and 10% of the men there are trained, and open carrying a sidearm would deter a lot of crime. It won't happen in my life though...

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 03 Apr 2011, 12:28

FIFY
Sweet Chuckie wrote:Image

You doubled up the img tags Chuckie. Before the actual link, you just need one Image at the end of the link.

If you're 70 then you are probably set in your ways & don't care but we're going to tease you about it anyway - they're called mags :p :laugh:
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

firestorm248
Gold Member

Post by firestorm248 » 03 Apr 2011, 12:47

Mags/Clips same thing right lol

firestorm248
Gold Member

Post by firestorm248 » 03 Apr 2011, 12:49

Heard a story here in LA recently where a guy was arrested for open carrying. They considered him a public menace or something, he turned around and sued the PD and the city and won a LOT of money.

Ah heres the link

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/27706824.html

Sweet Chuckie

Post by Sweet Chuckie » 03 Apr 2011, 14:28

Hey Rapier, thanks a bunch for getting the pics displayed. I also thank you for the nomenclature repairs with the mag/clip boo-boo...:o)

The sad thing is, I read the same "digs" on another post on this forum just a couple weeks ago.... :o)

The really sad thing, I'd probably have made the same mistake if I'd read it only yesterday..... I love it!!!

Thanks, Sweet Chuckie

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 03 Apr 2011, 15:12

As an LEO, I like the idea of open carry. But on the other hand, we are also charged with making sure that felons DON'T.
People think we are supposed to ask EVERYBODY we see who is open carrying for ID and run it to see if they are a felon.
Oh, really? I look at it like driving...except that driving is a priveledge...are we supposed to ASSUME that everybody driving has a suspended license and just start pulling everybody over and checking the validity of their licenses?? Boy, wouldn't that go over like a fart in church?!
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

ddouglas
Gold Member

Post by ddouglas » 03 Apr 2011, 15:28

According to an NRA-ILA alert I received today, CA has just introduced a measure to make it a misdemeanor to open carry an unloaded firearm. I suspect those folks wandering around SF and Sacramento last year prompted this.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 03 Apr 2011, 21:02

firestorm248 wrote:Mags/Clips same thing right lol
Not even close. :(
Shoot more, worry less.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 03 Apr 2011, 21:13

What if I have clips that hold magazines?
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

firestorm248
Gold Member

Post by firestorm248 » 03 Apr 2011, 21:40

Blue you know I just joking with you over the last thread we were in and clips and mags were brought up :p

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 03 Apr 2011, 21:43

haha you sneaky person, Fire.

I gotcha, I gotcha.

Don't worry you have Panzer on your side. Anyone with a noggin that thick I ain't gonna bother trying to argue. I just roll over and play dead.

:lmao:

What, can you blame me? I don't want to wake up tomorrow to find a barn-wide hole in the house with a tank sitting in my bedroom, turret pointed at me. EA doesn't make a round that can penetrate tank armor.

Yet.
Shoot more, worry less.

Ariac

Post by Ariac » 04 Apr 2011, 03:35

Here in MI it is has been deemed by the state courts that officers of the law can't question people who open carry based upon that alone, as it does not constitute reasonable suspicion of criminal activity. Granted most cops around here don't mind, they even teach ccw classes at the local station. Also, I have had the police called on me a few times by people who just wanted to find a reason to get me in trouble. The cops asked if I was in any way threatening people or doing something illegal, since I wasn't they justed laughed them off and didn't even come out.

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 04 Apr 2011, 08:27

I agree with the freedom aspect of open carry but just don't see opening up to the possible questions or potential for hassle from public or L.E., when I can pull my shirt over it and the never know!

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 04 Apr 2011, 08:59

I'm all for open-carrying in terms of freedom, and it would be nice if the libs were like "look, they're in possession of a gun not hurting anyone". Won't happen though. Given the option, I'd rather conceal than carry openly. I wouldn't have a problem open carrying however.

Davidlee
custom title: Code orange

Post by Davidlee » 10 Apr 2011, 06:54

In N.C. back in the 80's you could go to the range and shoot then go into the store get a drink open carry no one would ask or even question why. N.C. is an open carry state, but the way things are today my pistol is rarely in the publics view. Too many people from liberal states have moved here and they are truly scared of firearms. Mainstream media, movies and just never having been exposed to firearms or firearm safety these people freak out. When my liberal friends find out that I own firearms they alway's ask in surprise and a look of shock and envariablly say you have guns, my reply is damn skippy :agree: "why" don't you, with an incredulous look that say's " are you crazy or what" Also like has been mentioned you become a target for a B.G. Speaking of which Security Guards that patrol malls and such mostly are armed with mace or some other short range device. I feel for them because they will be 1st up targets if the s--t hit the fan.
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm. George Orwell

Ospy

Post by Ospy » 10 Apr 2011, 07:25

Cyberfly wrote:As an LEO, I like the idea of open carry. But on the other hand, we are also charged with making sure that felons DON'T.
People think we are supposed to ask EVERYBODY we see who is open carrying for ID and run it to see if they are a felon.
Oh, really? I look at it like driving...except that driving is a priveledge...are we supposed to ASSUME that everybody driving has a suspended license and just start pulling everybody over and checking the validity of their licenses?? Boy, wouldn't that go over like a fart in church?!
You're a good man. Thanks for your service.
A liberal lady friend once argued that a lot of gun owners that are victims of a crime end up getting killed with their own weapons. That's absurd! If someone is going to kill me with my own gun, they're going to have to beat me to death with it, because it's going to be empty.

fatherfoof

Post by fatherfoof » 10 Apr 2011, 10:55

Blue is very precise with his chosen words- a good trait. To get an earful just ask him what the knockdown power of throwing a clip at the head is. (megagrin)
Please PM Me for LE/Military Access