Loading down the 5.7?

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

Blackwater

Loading down the 5.7?

Post by Blackwater » 04 Jun 2017, 13:33

I've had a Rem. M-580 action for a long time that I've wanted to do something with. What I want is a short, light, highly accurate, centerfire that I can download to .22 LR levels, or up to nearly .22 Hornet levels, and shoot all these in the same gun. It'd probably be mostly a cast bullet shooter, and probably at .22 LR or .22 WRF type ballistics, because this would fulfill near all my needs for this gun. It's more or less a "truck gun" that might be pressed into use for all sorts of things.

The little M-580 action can be converted to centerfire, and .224" barrels can be had for not too terrible much. I can make a stock for it of wood, which I prefer anyway. My main concern is whether the brass neck is thin enough to expand to seal the case off at the lower pressure levels I want to do most of my shooting at. Has anyone here tried anything similar, and if so, how did it work for you?

Having a reloadable .22 RF equivalent round that can also, by merely selecting another load, shoot with or near the Hornet, might be very useful to me. And surely, it'd be a real fun gun to shoot, for both me and my two grandboys. Neat "river rifle," too! So ... has anyone done anything like this with the little 5.7?

I'm looking hard at it because the small diameter base and small case capacity would allow bulky fast powders, like Red Dot, etc., to be ignited better than they'd likely be in a larger diameter or higher capacity case, and good ignition tends to enhance accuracy. It's top end would be all I'd really envision ever needing in my locale, so .... what do you guys think of this idea? Will it likely work? Or is the brass to thick? Thanks for any input and edification on this idea.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Re: Loading down the 5.7?

Post by panzermk2 » 05 Jun 2017, 05:15

5.7 brass has no issues sealing when loaded to low pressure sub sonic loads. This is even more irrelevant in bolt action.

It can easily match 22 Hornet since it's max chamber pressure is much higher.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Blackwater

Re: Loading down the 5.7?

Post by Blackwater » 05 Jun 2017, 16:02

Thanks. This was a bit of a concern. For loading down, I think the minimal diameter will help ignition, by concentrating the powder in a smaller, and therefore more uniform space, making it easier to ignite reliably and consistently. Something bulky and fast like Red Dot should work well, I'd think. And full up loads should make shooting turtle heads at my friend's pond really interesting. Shots would be from 100+ to about 200 yds - a long ways for a short, light gun, but that's the attraction of it. I doubt we'll get many, though he's clearly overpopulated with them. But the near-misses should make for some interesting bragging rights debates. Not a bad way to spend a blazing hot afternoon here in the deep south! That little tidbit of info has pretty well made up my mind on the matter. Now all I have to do is pull the trigger on the project gun, and git-r-done. Thanks.