New reloader

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

NLVMike

Re: New reloader

Post by NLVMike » 05 Apr 2016, 09:27

Another trip to the desert with the Chrony this morning. This is getting pretty fun. The only downside was that I burned through a fair amount of EA S4M that has been in my safe for a long time. Apparently the combination of a moly coated bullet and early sun do not favor this chrony. I got a lot of ERR on the screen with that bullet.

Highlights were; Average speed of 3 EA S4M out of the PS90 was 3,015 fps. Fastest of anything I tested. Got 2,419 fps out of the FsN.

SS198 averaged 2,488 from the PS90, and ten year old brown box SS192 averaged 2,522.

My reloads matched current production SS197 almost exactly out of both the FsN and PS90. No malfunction or FTF. Add to that perfect weather made for a great desert morning.

grimmond
Gold Member

Post by grimmond » 05 Apr 2016, 15:30

I found the beta chrony hyper sensitive to indirect sunlight from the side. I ended up setting up a screen to the side of the sensors to get good readings on mine. I also put the white deflectors on which also helped in other situations.
"Let us never forget that good intelligence saves American lives and protects our freedom."
-Ronald Reagan

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 05 Apr 2016, 17:16

It's getting hotter here in Vegas, and I won't be going out to the desert much longer without an EZ-up. Next trip I will try putting the beta chrony under the shade structure.

grimmond
Gold Member

Post by grimmond » 05 Apr 2016, 21:20

NLVMike wrote:It's getting hotter here in Vegas, and I won't be going out to the desert much longer without an EZ-up. Next trip I will try putting the beta chrony under the shade structure.
I found that actually worked pretty good. I now also have a gamma master chrony which doesn't seem to be as sensitive to the light but I still try and keep it out of direct sun.
"Let us never forget that good intelligence saves American lives and protects our freedom."
-Ronald Reagan

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 09 Apr 2016, 10:00

I had a bad day with the Chrony this morning. It rained most of the night and it was an awesome heavily overcast morning. I went out to the desert and struggled to get anything but ERR on the screen. It recorded a few 5.7 shots, maybe 50% of what I sent through it. It recorded about 5 out of 14 45ACP shots, and 0 out of 12 44 Magnum rounds. I only went out with one cylinder of factory rounds and one cylinder of my reloads, and got 0 readings. Bummer.

I guess it want a little more light than I had today.