Cleaning once fired brass

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

sledgehammer

Cleaning once fired brass

Post by sledgehammer » 25 Mar 2015, 17:28

Hi everyone, I have a question regarding cleaning the brass before reloading. First I would like to say that I just cant see the coating on the brass, I used my box of AE and was looking at the rounds with a magnifying glass and the brass looks like any other piece of brass to me. I didn't scrape it with a knife or anything like that.

Anyway, this is how I normally clean my brass for my other calibers. I do SS cleaning for about 30 mins using lemi clean, lemi shine etc in my frankford arsenal tumbler, after 30 mins I add in clean water and go for another 30-45 mins or so to clean them fully.

http://www.btibrands.com/product/platin ... umbler-7l/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Once the brass is clean I then place the brass in a vibratory tumbler with a little nufinish to really polish and coat the brass to keep them from tarnishing and being protected from the elements. I only leave them in this process for about 15-30 mins. When the cases come out of the wet tumbler if you don't perform the next process with the vibratory tumbler the brass tarnishes and looks really bad a day later, this is the reason I use this two step process for brass cleaning.

My question is will this process be too much or too harsh for the 5.7 brass? Will the coating be removed?

I read somewhere (don't remember where) that SS tumbling takes overnight in order for the coating on the brass to be removed. I don't know if this is true since I have never worked with this brass before.

Thanks for any help.

DoubleJ

Re: Cleaning once fired brass

Post by DoubleJ » 25 Mar 2015, 18:35

I think that'd ruin your brass post haste. If it's once fired, from your gun, and you picked it up right after it hit the ground, the coating is fine. I'd put it in that tumbler of yours for 15 minutes with hot water and a splash of simple green, then another cycle with just water to rinse it, then set them out somewhere to dry.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 25 Mar 2015, 18:51

Short answer: yes, it's too harsh.

SS tumbling will remove the coating, that's how I (intentionally) removed mine, which I won't do again. Yes, it took a while to get it all off but it didn't take long to start damaging it. Most other caliber's brass does not have a coating on it, or if it does, it's not really necessary for the operation - for the 5.7, it is very beneficial. I won't say it's required as some people have removed it.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

sledgehammer

Post by sledgehammer » 25 Mar 2015, 19:46

Thanks guys.