How is everyone priming?

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

DoubleJ

How is everyone priming?

Post by DoubleJ » 07 Feb 2015, 16:18

When I started loading a few years ago, I was hand priming with the RCBS thing that uses shell holders. I never got the hang of it, and was always ripping the rims off my 45s. I switched to the little flip down primer arm on my Rock Chucker, which was fine, but mad slow. I recently got the auto primer feed for the Rock Chucker, which was awesome and mad fast, but recently I can't seem to get primers to seat below flush with it, and it's become inconsistent and has started ruining primers. What's everyone here had good luck with? I like the RCBS universal hand primers, but they state 32ACP as the smallest, and our rim is closest to 25ACP, so I think that's a bust.

jmz5
Site Admin

Re: How is everyone priming?

Post by jmz5 » 08 Feb 2015, 07:18

I got one of those bench mounted rcbs priming machines. It goes a lot faster than the hand primer.
كاف

shopsmart
Silver Member

Post by shopsmart » 08 Feb 2015, 10:35

I use a rcbs hand primer. Never had a problem with it unless crimps weren't removed. 57 wise, with crimps still intact, just a little more hand force.

GONRA

Post by GONRA » 08 Feb 2015, 13:52

GONRA likes the really olde bench mounted RCBS priming device that uses shell holders.
Have touched it up a bit over the years. Which I could get a spare!
The cheapo Lee reloading press can be modifed to a similar device that's dynamite for
.50 BMG, 20mm Solothurn/Lahti (8mm Berdan) and 14.5mm Soviet (9mm Berdan) priming.

bruteandbear1
custom title: CHICAGO BEARS!!!

Post by bruteandbear1 » 08 Feb 2015, 20:28

DoubleJ wrote:When I started loading a few years ago, I was hand priming with the RCBS thing that uses shell holders. I never got the hang of it, and was always ripping the rims off my 45s. I switched to the little flip down primer arm on my Rock Chucker, which was fine, but mad slow. I recently got the auto primer feed for the Rock Chucker, which was awesome and mad fast, but recently I can't seem to get primers to seat below flush with it, and it's become inconsistent and has started ruining primers. What's everyone here had good luck with? I like the RCBS universal hand primers, but they state 32ACP as the smallest, and our rim is closest to 25ACP, so I think that's a bust.
I have had this exact problem doubleJ with the rock chucker auto primer feeding tube. It would not seat the primers in correctly. It would work about 70 percent of the time so I just went to doing it manually and have never had a problem since.

Ppostma1

Post by Ppostma1 » 11 Feb 2015, 22:49

I have to ask, late as usual.

Which primers are you using?
info: CCI small rifle (400) works. CCI Small magnum pistol (550) are identical with 5% more load but might have too hard of sides to seat well. CCI small pistol (500) are the same diameter, but shallower depth so they leave a gap and allow powder to run in which can punch the primer out when fired.

I have an RCBS partner press that I have not started priming with yet. Still need the tool for it

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 12 Feb 2015, 05:13

400s, 500s, 6.5s, 7.5s

bruteandbear1
custom title: CHICAGO BEARS!!!

Post by bruteandbear1 » 12 Feb 2015, 07:12

I have only used CCI 400 primers and I have never had an issue with them ever!!!

Ppostma1

Post by Ppostma1 » 12 Feb 2015, 09:59

CCI 400s, and Remington 6.5 and 7.5 are nearly identical. The only difference is the focus on mixture consistency.

The CCI 500's are actually a slight bit shorter in depth. When fitting flush they leave a gap behind the primer, but as I look at the differences, its too small for grains to fall into so they are not problematic as I mentioned above.

Is there residue build up on the inside of the primer cavity? I just finished decapping my first batch (250) of fired factory loaded ammo. What I am noticing is one of the AE-195 or FHN (Hornady)-197 left a black residue along the back and sides of the cavity. Looks like I have to clean them out with carb-buster and q-tips before I can reprime.

grimmond
Gold Member

Post by grimmond » 12 Feb 2015, 19:27

Just clean them in a Tupperware with simple green and warm water.
"Let us never forget that good intelligence saves American lives and protects our freedom."
-Ronald Reagan