FSN Headspace and Dimensions help from someone with gauge

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

acertainshade421

FSN Headspace and Dimensions help from someone with gauge

Post by acertainshade421 » 16 Jan 2015, 16:18

so started the process on obtaining a 5.7x28 headpace / case gauge and was hoping to scab some info off one of you guys that presently have one to hold me over . curious after setting up sizing die and running at opimum spacing in gauge if you could share some of the crucial dimensions . when i originally set up sizing die to touch shel holder plus 1/8 turn it removed all play on my t7 but was far from cloning dimensions on my ss197 factory ammo. added a extra 1/8 of a turn down and got closer but still not perfect. any and all help is much appreciated . Just want to ensure im sizing with the best measurements possible
Last edited by acertainshade421 on 16 Jan 2015, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.

LK45s
Gold Member

Re: FSN Headspace and Dimensions help from someone with gaug

Post by LK45s » 16 Jan 2015, 16:26

If you do a web search CIP 5.7x28 that should give you all the specifics.
" All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. "

Thomas Jefferson

acertainshade421

Post by acertainshade421 » 16 Jan 2015, 16:42

i already have the case dimension on paper, not that i dont trust cip cause i do have it but wouldnt mind first hand experience or findings . alot of guys still want a gauge regardless of chamber or cartridge drawings . if no takers then im obviously left with just that lol. thank you though regardless for taking the time to respond , only want to verify against my cases ,have been firing no problem
Last edited by acertainshade421 on 16 Jan 2015, 20:52, edited 1 time in total.

LK45s
Gold Member

Post by LK45s » 16 Jan 2015, 17:52

YW. I crunched the numbers when I first got the schematics a few years ago. With the dimensions I got I checked them with my dial calipers and they matched. That was the last time I looked at the diagram til tonight. :D But I do like having it hanging on the wall.
" All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. "

Thomas Jefferson

acertainshade421

Post by acertainshade421 » 16 Jan 2015, 19:56

and never have had issues with headspacing with my pistol i just always use a case gauge (almost always) to set and verify my sizing dies with this one cartridge being the exception . with a cartridge like the 5.7 i want it as spot on as possible and utilizing a tool like the E.A seems like a no brainer to me , i know plenty of guys who dont own a headspace / go no go / case gauge and thats fine and it works for them but its cheap insurance for the money and in my experience adding gauges only helps . im going to order one regardless ,was just to hold me over until i got it. curious

kmiles

Post by kmiles » 19 Jan 2015, 08:04

I loaded the 5.7x28 for a couple of years before getting one of the EA go/no go gauges. I would just take the barrel out of my FsN, and make sure that the reloads would drop in easily, and the amount of case sticking out was visually "the same" as the factory rounds. Would do this for the first couple of rounds of each batch, or any time I adjusted one of the dies. After 3000+ rounds my chamber is a bit "looser" than the EA gauge.

GONRA

Post by GONRA » 19 Jan 2015, 13:56

GONRA does what kmiles does, but measures case head projection with an electronic caliper
instead of eyeballing. "Head space reference" is a FN Factory Round.