Lehigh Defense "Controlled Chaos"

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

jckilla
custom title: jckilla

Re: Lehigh Defense "Controlled Chaos"

Post by jckilla » 21 Jun 2015, 12:22

I bought some of Lehigh's HERO rounds (9mm) - I thought I sent some to Buff for some testing, must of been some of the other stuff I have. They look pretty brutal, the controlled chaos rounds look good, but the multiple projectile rounds look especially devastating.
http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2013 ... iumum.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They're 70 grain, but out of the test barrel (FnH 4" barrel) , 1650 fps & the video in the link is pretty cool. The gel from the test literally jumps off the table upon impact. These rounds only expand upon impact through hydraulic energy ( wet ). Buff,it didn't send you any, you wanna try em out on some jugs? I don't have the set up you do and of course, you do make the best videos.

Kiran04

Post by Kiran04 » 17 Aug 2015, 19:00

bruteandbear1 wrote:
grimmond wrote:According to Lehigh they are designed to fragment from hydrolic pressure, but it requires a faster velocity. They did not appear to tumble or fragment in that gel unless I am reading the results wrong. They were designed as a round for the AR15 and they have them already loaded for those that don't reload. They have no issue with any of the twist rates in the AR that I have heard of.
Grimmond I shot a level 3A vest strapped to a filing cabinet with the 3/32" sheet metal dividers in them. When it went through the vest and through the dividers the hole was much bigger than the bullet and it also tumbled through all 3 of the dividers and found the bullet caught on the bottom of filing cabinet. When I shot my pork shoulder the wound channel was much bigger than my 27 grain reloads and also bigger than the 45acp pork shoulder test.
What was the load you were using?

spyderco monkey

Post by spyderco monkey » 06 Feb 2017, 00:35

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but was wondering, has anyone used this projectile in either the PS90 or PS90 SBR? And if so, what loads/ velocities were you getting?

kmiles

Post by kmiles » 07 Feb 2017, 08:42

I have not tried them out of the PS90. I have several hundred loaded with 5.6 of true blue as that is what I carry in the FsN for self defense, but True Blue is not the best powder for the longer barrels. I can put together a ladder using HS6 or longshot for the PS90 and report back if you are not in too much of a hurry, or if someone else does not come forward with data.

spyderco monkey

Post by spyderco monkey » 07 Feb 2017, 18:50

kmiles wrote:I have not tried them out of the PS90. I have several hundred loaded with 5.6 of true blue as that is what I carry in the FsN for self defense, but True Blue is not the best powder for the longer barrels. I can put together a ladder using HS6 or longshot for the PS90 and report back if you are not in too much of a hurry, or if someone else does not come forward with data.
Thank you, that would be fantastic! I had snagged a bunch of these projectiles when they were on sale, but have yet to get into reloading them as there's not too much load data for them. What velocity are you getting with them out of you FsN?

I'm thinking of getting my PS90 SBR'd, and playing around with the ballistics calculator, thought the 45gr CC might make the best general purpose load for it. With a BC of 0.229, if they can hit 2200 out of the 10" barrel, they'd still be doing 1700 / 292 ft/lbs at 150 yards, which would be solid performance for a little PDW.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 08 Feb 2017, 08:48

Perhaps EA would be willing to load some? I'd be more than willing to test..

spyderco monkey

Post by spyderco monkey » 08 Feb 2017, 15:26

Buffman wrote:Perhaps EA would be willing to load some? I'd be more than willing to test..
As cool as this would be, I would be wary of Elite or R&R or any commercial interest loading the CC in 5.7x28 as it is a Brass projectile. While technically a Frangible, "Brass Jacket Air Core," it still may raise some eyebrows / lead to the projectile getting discontinued like the Barnes BBS.

Now if one of our very talented reloaders were to provide a few rounds for testing, I think that would be very cool. Especially how it performs out of your new PS90 SBR, and whether it starts to fragment at over 2000fps as claimed, or whether it tumbles.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 09 Feb 2017, 06:50

Brass issue as stated.

Some solid copper hollow point in the 40gr range are on their way to Buffman right now.

It is for our long missed X-Terminator TSX based round.

It is a modern design though using a softer so it expands copper. This round would also likely be a great SD round.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Toaster

Post by Toaster » 11 Feb 2017, 03:21

How come that weight was chosen over a lighter one at higher speeds?

I recall you stating speed and lightweight projectiles are key in the 5.7. Seems the speed would help expansion too.

Always curious.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 13 Feb 2017, 11:58

Because you need to strike a balance between speed, weight, type of bullet and getting it to fit in the case.

40gr and below is the sweet spot for 5.7x28mm.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz