Factory FN 5.7 powder

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

NLVMike

Factory FN 5.7 powder

Post by NLVMike » 16 Dec 2014, 16:31

I am new to reloading, so I have got a system together that works pretty well for me. I gather all the components, then take them over to a very experienced reloader buddy and use his Dillon 550. Actually, I usually just end up watching him use the 550. He is beyond a perfectionist. So far, it has been limited to loading for my Detonics 451 magnum, and some 45ACP. He is confident in loading for 5.7, and has the dies.

Now to the question. My LGS has a relationship with a guy with a military dismantling contract. (makes no sense to me). He has factory FN 5.7 powder from dismantled SS??? ammo. As I have not been able to buy any of the recommended powders listed on this forum, I jumped on the first 5 lb. bucket he offered me. ($100). Did I waste my money? I can't seem to find a recipe using factory powder. I will be using my own once fired brass and vmax 40 grain bullets.

Any advice?

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Re: Factory FN 5.7 powder

Post by Rapier1772 » 16 Dec 2014, 20:28

First question, was it all from the same lot number?
Personally, I think it was a bad investment but you might want to ask Jay for more info.

It's been posted on the forum several times that FN changes their factory powder from time to time. It is also a BAD idea to mix powders. IF you can be assured that it is in fact, all the same powder then you should be ok.
Now the question becomes, what is a safe load with factory powder? I don't recall seeing factory powder reloaded into new cartridges & tested; if they did, it wasn't 5lb worth but more a few rounds to play around with left over powder from their own pull-downs.
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

bruteandbear1
custom title: CHICAGO BEARS!!!

Post by bruteandbear1 » 17 Dec 2014, 11:29

I personally think it is a great investment!!! I would just make sure the lot numbers are the same. I keep all of the factory powder after I pull the bullets.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 17 Dec 2014, 12:54

But this powder is mixed from different lots and mixed already if I understand him. FNH has used dozens of different powders. This why there are vids of me shooting and burning it.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 17 Dec 2014, 13:50

bruteandbear1 wrote:I personally think it is a great investment!!! I would just make sure the lot numbers are the same. I keep all of the factory powder after I pull the bullets.
That's what I am saying. Unless you KNOW it was from the same lot number, you shouldn't use it. I see nothing in NLV's post that indicates he or anyone else knows this. When YOU pull the bullets, you know what you're getting. When you're buying the powder from a LGS, which was collected by someone else, which is from a company that frequently changes powders - do you really know?

IF it is all from the same lot, I'd use it. But any question on that & it's firework fodder :laugh:
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

Oldbindlestiff
Gold Member

Post by Oldbindlestiff » 17 Dec 2014, 18:49

...as I read your post, you really do not know what the powder is that you have purchased. Use it to burn out fire ant mounds or whatever. Using it to produce ammunition will be unwise.

The risk of a KABOOM is simply too high. Unless you would enjoy being known as 'Lefty' or 'One-eye', stick with factory-labeled powder. Even that can provide a few unanticipated thrills!
Karma. Serving up justice one a**hole at a time.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 17 Dec 2014, 20:35

Next time buy the bullets they're taking out, those would be way more useful. Or profitable, we'll all buy them from you. Dibs on the 192/195s

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 18 Dec 2014, 10:30

He offered me all of the virgin primed brass for $.25 a piece. I passed, as I have lots of brass and I can prime it for a lot less than that. I will see him this weekend and ask about the lot number. He seems like a pretty upstanding guy, but I don't know what his motivation would be not to tell me what I want to hear. (did that make sense?). He didn't offered the pulled bullets, or I would have all the 192/195's. I might even be figuring out how to moly coat them. I have a few boxes of EA S4M in my stash that I have not fired. They are kind of a turn on.

If I can get comfortable that it is from the same lot, I will carefully work up a load. Any starting point info from you all would be greatly appreciated. I would work it up with any other powder if it were available to me. I have been actively shopping for it for months now, and can't find any. Pretty much the same for all pistol powders.

CoryS78

Post by CoryS78 » 18 Dec 2014, 11:17

Virgin primed 5.7 for .25 ea? Hmm... that's tempting...

As for the powder, I don't think I'd be willing to risk life and limb on someone else's say-so about something as critical as powder... good luck, hope it works out, but you wouldn't catch me doing it. IF IF IF you insist on doing it, blend it all REALLY REALLY WELL and work up from something lower than what is found in ANY factory load, and chrono chrono chrono chrono your loads. I'm NOT RECOMMENDING THIS, but some people are stubborn...