Case width issue with Lee dies

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

User avatar
panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Posts: 11482
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 15:51
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.
Contact:

Re: Case width issue with Lee dies

Post by panzermk2 » 02 Sep 2013, 11:38

robinzon wrote:Well, the die sizes to .3120 .3125 and SOMETIMES to .3115 if that is what you mean by numbers, as far as .3125 I would say 20% .3120 50% and .3115 30%.... If you get the die to sit JUST RIGHT, that proportion may change, Hornady consistently sizes to .310-.311... I never had a case larger then .311 and all pass the gauge test.

You might want to call LEE and talk to them about it. At least get a new die set from them that properly sizes and also give them a heads up.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"
Image
Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz
Image

dfb5069
Junior Member
Posts: 4
Joined: 25 May 2013, 15:37

Re: Case width issue with Lee dies

Post by dfb5069 » 02 Sep 2013, 18:06

I have had the exact same issues with my Leee dies. They will not pass my EA go/no go, not even close. I have issues with not cycling consistently. I contacted Peter at Lee, and explained the situation. I sent 2 fired rounds, 2 fired then resized by my Lee dies, and 2 resized by my Hornady dies to him The rounds sized by Hornady are perfect every time and fit go/no gauge with absolutely no issues. I got the dies back from Lee, they said there was nothing wrong with the dies. They did not even take the dies sized by my Hornady out of the package. I am debating on sending them back again or throwing them in the scrap metal pile. Very disappointed in Lee at this point. Any suggestions?

User avatar
panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Posts: 11482
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 15:51
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.
Contact:

Re: Case width issue with Lee dies

Post by panzermk2 » 03 Sep 2013, 08:42

dfb5069 wrote:I have had the exact same issues with my Leee dies. They will not pass my EA go/no go, not even close. I have issues with not cycling consistently. I contacted Peter at Lee, and explained the situation. I sent 2 fired rounds, 2 fired then resized by my Lee dies, and 2 resized by my Hornady dies to him The rounds sized by Hornady are perfect every time and fit go/no gauge with absolutely no issues. I got the dies back from Lee, they said there was nothing wrong with the dies. They did not even take the dies sized by my Hornady out of the package. I am debating on sending them back again or throwing them in the scrap metal pile. Very disappointed in Lee at this point. Any suggestions?

Tell them you want a refund.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"
Image
Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz
Image

GONRA
Junior Member
Posts: 228
Joined: 25 Feb 2010, 14:33

Re: Case width issue with Lee dies

Post by GONRA » 03 Sep 2013, 13:38

GONRA sez: After you get Refund, purchase SMALL BASE RCBS dies, etc. etc, etc.
as I've said many tymes before......

User avatar
panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Posts: 11482
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 15:51
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.
Contact:

Re: Case width issue with Lee dies

Post by panzermk2 » 03 Sep 2013, 17:07

GONRA wrote:GONRA sez: After you get Refund, purchase SMALL BASE RCBS dies, etc. etc, etc.
as I've said many tymes before......

And run a 50/50 chance of getting a set that won't resize properly ether.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"
Image
Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz
Image

kbohrer79
Junior Member
Posts: 1
Joined: 03 Sep 2013, 18:22

Re: Case width issue with Lee dies

Post by kbohrer79 » 03 Sep 2013, 18:35

I too had the problem with the Lee dies, the resized case would not fit in the EA go no go gauge without forcing it in, however it would cycle through the weapon. I checked the size of the case and found the same problem with the middle of the case. I purchased an RCBS die set and it solved the problem the resized case will fit beautiful in the EA gauge.

Yelraek
Junior Member
Posts: 43
Joined: 06 Jun 2013, 11:47

Re: Case width issue with Lee dies

Post by Yelraek » 04 Sep 2013, 12:14

robinzon wrote:Well, the die sizes to .3120 .3125 and SOMETIMES to .3115 if that is what you mean by numbers, as far as .3125 I would say 20% .3120 50% and .3115 30%.... If you get the die to sit JUST RIGHT, that proportion may change, Hornady consistently sizes to .310-.311... I never had a case larger then .311 and all pass the gauge test.

Just put my very first case through my RCBS die; 0.3112 right behind the shoulder. I'm using the RCBS lube pad because it's all I have right now... Waiting for my order of Hornady One Shot case lube to come in. It looks like I lost about a little less than a square quarter inch of laquer on one side of the case near the base. And the shoulder is looking just like factory.

It also slid nice a smooth into the EA gauge.

Good start I think.

GONRA
Junior Member
Posts: 228
Joined: 25 Feb 2010, 14:33

Re: Case width issue with Lee dies

Post by GONRA » 04 Sep 2013, 12:54

GONRA's friendly jab at panzermk2:
Looks like GONRA, kbohrer79 and Yelraek are batting 100% on RCBS (small base?) dies.

Yelraek
Junior Member
Posts: 43
Joined: 06 Jun 2013, 11:47

Re: Case width issue with Lee dies

Post by Yelraek » 04 Sep 2013, 14:40

Gonra, you're hilarious. Love the third person speech. My RCBS dies are actually full length. Which is probably why I'm more around the .3112 mark and not .3110.

I wouldn't say I'm batting 100% but it is my first batch.

kmiles
Junior Member
Posts: 61
Joined: 29 Mar 2013, 06:19

Re: Case width issue with Lee dies

Post by kmiles » 05 Sep 2013, 09:41

You can add my name to the list of people that use the RCBS full length dies (purchased in August 2012) to the list that functions 100%. Have been through over 2000 reloads, and have never had a FTE or FTF. I do have to pay particular attention when setting up the bullet seating die to make sure the die body is set low enough to get rid of the lip expansion caused during the resizing process, but not low enough that it creates a crimp. The reloads were feeding just fine in the FsN, but after about 1000 rounds I finally purchased the EA go/no go gauge, and discovered the lip of the case was not to spec once the bullet was seated. A slight (less than 1/8 of a turn) adjustment on the seating die solved the issue.

robinzon
Junior Member
Posts: 17
Joined: 18 Aug 2013, 17:31

Re: Case width issue with Lee dies

Post by robinzon » 06 Sep 2013, 15:38

GONRA wrote:GONRA's friendly jab at panzermk2:
Looks like GONRA, kbohrer79 and Yelraek are batting 100% on RCBS (small base?) dies.
Robinzon says: Buy a set of Hornady dies, and don't listen to Gonra's RCBS sales pitch :)

WhiteFether
Junior Member
Posts: 6
Joined: 12 Jun 2015, 07:13
custom title: Student of the Gun
Location: Ft.Worth Land of Texas

Re: Case width issue with Lee dies

Post by WhiteFether » 27 Jun 2015, 18:48

I've done several hundred 5.7s with my Lee dies. Only one failure and that was the first set up round .......I pushed the shoulder down too far and got the dreaded shoulder hump :( Everything else has ran like a champ :)

jkelley209
Junior Member
Posts: 49
Joined: 26 Dec 2014, 10:19

Re: Case width issue with Lee dies

Post by jkelley209 » 10 Jul 2015, 07:53

i like Redding no trouble at all even with the coating

GONRA
Junior Member
Posts: 228
Joined: 25 Feb 2010, 14:33

Re: Case width issue with Lee dies

Post by GONRA » 10 Jul 2015, 13:54

GONRA has said this a zillion tymes - but my RCBS Small Base 5.7x28FN dies verked perfectly right out of the box.
Used in heavy duty Hollywood Senior press, STP Oil Treatment case lube, RCBS shell holder.
Sized right back to factory specs (miked along side a FN factory round)
coating didn't come off (OK - one time in 970 cases) and Shoot Great!.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests