Neck Separation

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

dfosland

Neck Separation

Post by dfosland » 23 Jul 2013, 16:20

Going through my first sets of size/decap, and had 2 cases with the neck separating and staying in the die, first time I've ever had that happen with any caliber. Doesn't appear to be much of an issue with the other cases, though when I (dumbly) tried to take the decap/expander out to remove the necks, I torqued the rod apart and the expander when straight to the bottom of a garbage bag I really don't want to dig through. In my quick searching, haven't found any replacement decapping rods assemblies for the RCBS dies, though MidwayUSA has one for the Redding die, is it compatible?

And as a side note, I also recently received the Elite Ammunition case gauge, and used it to ensure I'm setting up the dies right, problem is, even the factory ammo isn't slipping in and out like in the video, though it all does fit, just seems to have an "over center" point in it. Is this normal? Or should I have a concern here? I really like the gauge, it is simple, proper, and well worth it, just thinking I'm a little off here.

Thanks

ddouglas
Gold Member

Re: Neck Separation

Post by ddouglas » 23 Jul 2013, 18:08

dfostland...I use Lee dies and I've never had a problem. I think many of the folks here that use the Lee dies recommend them, favoring them over dies from other manufacturers.

I had the same problem with the Elite case gauge and after exchanging emails with Jay, I had to send it back. I have loaded hundreds and hundreds of 5.7x28 and I've never had a problem (knock on wood). And while the hand loads not fitting well in the case gauge had me concerned, when the factory ammo didn't fit either, my concern lessened. Just like every manufactured mechanical product has machining specifications, I suspect the gauge I had (and maybe the one you have) was at the minimum and that, perhaps, was the problem. My limited experience with EA is that they make good stuff and if my gauge was made at the minimum, it may pass EA's QC but may not be exactly right for my FN and PS90 chambers, which could be somewhat looser. Such is life.