Reloading equipment for 5.7x28mm

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

SandmanV12

Re: Reloading equipment for 5.7x28mm

Post by SandmanV12 » 02 Apr 2013, 18:27

Red Dog wrote:I waited out a five week backorder at Midway USA for my Lee dies. They were delivered in early March; a local gun shop got me a set of RCBS dies in about the same time through his rep.
I looked today on Midway and it didn't even list them.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 02 Apr 2013, 18:33

I don't think they make the Pacesetter for the 5.7, it's not on their list anyway. Think you're stuck with regular dies like the rest of us :p
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

500SWfan

Post by 500SWfan » 02 Apr 2013, 19:06

SandmanV12 wrote:
Red Dog wrote:I waited out a five week backorder at Midway USA for my Lee dies. They were delivered in early March; a local gun shop got me a set of RCBS dies in about the same time through his rep.
I looked today on Midway and it didn't even list them.
MidwayUSA lists them (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/261573 ... 57x28mm-fn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). They're just categorized as rifle dies, rather than handgun dies. That's probably because they're listed as Pacesetter dies. :D

fd57

Post by fd57 » 02 Apr 2013, 19:06

Lee does offer their Pacesetter dies for the 5.7x28 cartridge. Just a heads up. They're a mutha to snag though. Scored a couple a few months back.

Here's what the package looks like (minus the spare decapping pin in bottom right of snap):

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 02 Apr 2013, 20:23

How does a pacesetter different from regular dies? Other than the powder dipper & shell holder included.

500SWfan

Post by 500SWfan » 02 Apr 2013, 20:54

Rapier1772 wrote:How does a pacesetter different from regular dies? Other than the powder dipper & shell holder included.
I think that is the difference...the extras. Most of their Pacesetter rifle die sets also come with a third factory crimp die. But for the rarer calibers like the 5.7 or 204 Ruger where they haven't developed a factory crimp die (yet?), they just sell it as a two die set with the extras, as opposed to their RGB (really great buy) sets, which only come with the two dies.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 02 Apr 2013, 21:15

That's what I thought. So unless they've fixed their shell holder for the 5.7x28, it's not worth the hassle.
Buy the regular dies and an RCBS shell holder.

500SWfan

Post by 500SWfan » 02 Apr 2013, 21:25

Actually, they only offer it as the Pacesetter set, and even then it's always classified as a "Very Limited Production" set. They don't even list it as one of the available calibers on their web site (http://leeprecision.com/reloading-dies/ ... 2-die-set/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). :facepalm:

Edit: My bad. It is shown far below (http://leeprecision.com/v-ltd-2-die-5.7x28.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), it's just not shown in the preliminary list. I notice it says powder dipper and load data are not included, but that's not true. The set I just got from Ammodepot included the dipper, and load data identical to that in the latest Lee reloading manual (2nd edition Rvsd).

Red Dog

Post by Red Dog » 03 Apr 2013, 14:07

I found the RCBS #45 shell holder at Precision Reloading. Only had to wait three weeks for it. I don't plan to use the Lee shell holder that came with the dies after reading all the negative posts here.

fd57

Post by fd57 » 03 Apr 2013, 15:47

No issue with the shell holder included in the Pacesetter die set here.

Hobknob
Gold Member

Post by Hobknob » 04 Apr 2013, 08:03

Something I hadn't seen listed anywhere is a powder checker or lockout die.

I've used the RCBS Powder Check die as well as a RCBS lockout die (modified) and they both work quite well.
If you're using a single stage it's really not necessary, but on a progressive it is a nice monitoring method.

The lockout is nice in that it locks the press out if you get a significantly higher or lower volume of powder in the case, while the check die just shows you if the current powder level is close to what you set the die at.
-- Thank you for calling 911 emergency services, please hold --
~~ \|/ ~~

Jim300

Elite Ammunition has reloading parts in stock

Post by Jim300 » 09 Apr 2013, 17:31

I purchased the case gauge and dillon 550 shell plate a few weeks ago but could not get the RCBS trim plate. The trim plate is now in stock along with some bullets (not loaded ammo). Glad to see a few things back in stock.

Beecher Tool

Post by Beecher Tool » 03 May 2013, 10:00

As mentioned in another post, I picked up a Five Seven this week and am starting the process of setting up to be able to reload. My basic reloading set up is:

Redding Ultramag Single Stage Press - I ordered a couple of Redding #35 shellholders which I understand will work with 5.7x28

Hornady LNL Progressive Ammo Plant - I ordered a custom shellplate from Hornady for the LNL press...and I am well aware of and understand that decapping/primer seating must be done in the single stage press

Most of my die set are the three piece Redding Titanium Carbide Competition sets. Redding doesn't make a set like that for 5.7x28 so I ordered a Redding three piece Deluxe Die Set [Redding Part# 84477, brownells.com Part# 749-007-802WS].

I use an LE Wilson Stainless Trimmer for case length trimming....they don't make collets for 5.7x28 as a standard size, but will make custom collets if three cases are provided. My sense is that the way to submit cases is to wait until I have the dies in hand, and size the cases using the actual dies in my set up rather than send spent cases so the gauge track the sized cases I would intend to use.

Has anyone gone down this path and would care to share experiences? Thanks in advance.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 03 May 2013, 10:42

I wouldn't by the Redding die set. I wouldn't buy the RCBS, unless I can't buy the Lee dies.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

Beecher Tool

Post by Beecher Tool » 03 May 2013, 10:47

Thanks for the thoughts....at present I have owned and use Redding dies in 5.56x45, 7.62x51, .338LM, 9MM, .40S&W, and .45ACP....and LE Wilson press type dies in the three rifle calibers. I have had nothing but less than experiences with Lee and RCBS dies in 30 years of reloading obviously with various differences in intensity. So my decision as to dies is done, the question really focuses on case trimming...thanks for the input.

SandmanV12

Post by SandmanV12 » 08 May 2013, 22:14

Thanks to one of the members on here I now have a pacesetter die set, Thank you.

500SWfan

Post by 500SWfan » 19 Jun 2013, 11:29

For those who still need a set, MidwayUSA just got the Lee dies in stock.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/261573 ... 57x28mm-fn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

xxstincexx

Post by xxstincexx » 06 Jul 2013, 04:58

I use the hornady can lock trimmer. Once its set it stays set. Just ordered the power adapter for it.

xxstincexx

Post by xxstincexx » 06 Jul 2013, 04:59

Cam * (smart phone is not so smart)

Oceansblue

Post by Oceansblue » 09 Sep 2013, 16:23

The list at the top of this post is pretty comprehensive, and has helped me narrow my shopping list, but I'm not quite set up just yet. I'm having some difficulty figuring out which pieces of the list are interchangeable, and which are required. I already have the following items:

Dillon 550B w/ the shell holder from elite ammunition
Lyman 3 piece dies
RCBS trimmer w/ elite ammunition's shell holder

The question I have specifically, is whether or not I need a primer/de-primer in addition to this set of dies, or does one of the lyman dies do this? (Lyman's website doesn't specify)
If the lyman dies don't deprime/prime, is there something I can use that fits the Dillon? (it seems silly to buy a standalone primer/deprimer instead of using the Dillon's 4th station)
If I have to buy the priming stuff seperately that's fine, I just want to avoid buying more equipment if I can use the Dillon's 4th station.

I hope this hasn't already been asked, but if anyone is using a similar setup and can help me out, I'd appreciate it.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 09 Sep 2013, 19:42

Oceansblue
One of the dies included will be the decapping die which punches out the old primer and resizes the case. There SHOULD have been instructions included with the die set. If not, contact Lyman & ask them to send you some.

You seem new to reloading (sorry if I'm wrong) and so a word of warning:
The 5.7x28mm round is VERY sensitive to overpressure, even a .1gr overcharge can cause catastrophic failure.
While it is possible to learn how to reload on this round, we recommend you get familiar with reloading on something more forgiving.

And don't trust your powder drop until it has proven it can maintain a constant setting with the powder you are using. True Blue meters well in the 550, flake powders such as Blue Dot do not.

Oldbindlestiff
Gold Member

Post by Oldbindlestiff » 10 Sep 2013, 06:51

Three die sets include a sizing/de-capping die. I would suggest that you add an Elite Ammunition case go/no gauge to your equipment, as well as a bullet-puller. When I first acquired a Dillon reloading machine, I used it as if it were a single stage press. This approach allowed checking each step carefully until the setup was perfect. Make a dummy round with no primer or powder and then use the case gauge to test it. When it is time to go "live", start at the MINIMUM recommended powder weight. Weigh EACH powder charge (Just drop it into the pan for the scale before charging the case.) until you know what the powder measure is dropping. Lyman's Reloading Handbook is a great source for a step-by-step presentation of the reloading process. Please heed Rapier's advice and be careful.
Karma. Serving up justice one a**hole at a time.

Oceansblue

Post by Oceansblue » 10 Sep 2013, 10:19

Thank you for the information, I assumed as much about the Lyman dies but wanted to be sure. When I purchased my fsn, the seller included the dies, but without the manual that should have accompanied them. I did actually already pick up EA's go/no go guage as well, I assume their stuff is good, since they appear to be the vendor of choice on these forums.

APOX

Post by APOX » 22 Oct 2013, 15:40

Hello.
Gotta hard one for youz guys...
I know virtually nothing about reloading. I reloaded .44 mag in a share shop once for a short time, not just to save money, but to make better than I could buy; but the owner who was supposedly experienced and knowledgeable was an idiot. His instruction and own efforts resulted in cases that looked a little like accordions - his response was that they would straighten out when I fired them. I left.

I have scanned this topic/forum. I want a 5.7 X 28 handgun, and already bought and sold a Masterpiece arms POC because I could not get the ammo. I want the good pistol - The FN Five Seven.
Common problem: Getting ammo. For reasons I cannot go into, time is not something I have to play with for the most part, so I can't go the usual route of starting with other cartridges and learning and working my way up. I need the hardware capability to reload these.
I need recommendations for the best overall setup for reloading this ammo with the following priorities:
#1: As fool-proof as possible (yeah, I know, I've read this topic, and it seems anyone is lucky to be able to do it without two presses, mods, grinding and welding, etc.)
#2: The smallest, most portable rig possible.
#3: Affordable, if possible.
- In this order -

Please don't caution me about this, I have educated myself on the basic situation: difficult and dangerous load to get wrong, etc.
I am not an idiot, extremely mechanically inclined, eye for detail, cautious, and a near perfectionist on things serious as this. But I have to get this done and it will get done, so those really in the know: Please help me get this taken care of.

I would very much appreciate help on this, especially if links and estimated overall cost might be.
-P.S.- Has any outfit yet offered a reliable and complete set/package for reloading this round ?!?
Any recent developments making the ammo more available and cost effective?
Thank you very much in advance.

APOX

Post by APOX » 22 Oct 2013, 18:46

Although I just joined this forum, and just posted here, I have to bring up a possibly uncomfortable subject...
I have read about all the crapola people have to deal with just to get their equipment together to reload the 5.7 x 28, to the extent that It seems to require a near obsession and bottomless wallet to deal with it.

Have you checked out the 22 TCM ??? It is equal or better than the FN 5 7, costs much less, works very reliably (fail to lock slide open after last round is likely a problem with the magazine and not the pistol) and is basically a modified 1911.
The ammo is quite available, costs a lot less, and is much easier to reload. The cases are right between a 9mm and a .223/5.56, and can be reloaded using .223 cases.

Serious question: Why are people even bothering with 5.7 x 28 ? - really...
Just because you have already invested so much in the gun and ammo and reloading dies, etc???
Although the 22 TCM pistols may be made overseas, they were designed here in America by an American.
As I stated, it is equal or better than the 5.7 X 28 in general and in penetration specifically.

I feel as if I have been on some wild goose chase, and am wiping the sweat from my brow that I bothered to check out the 22 TCM in time, before committing to a whole lot of unnecessary expense, aggravation, work, etc. for nothing.
WHEW !!!

Yelraek

Post by Yelraek » 22 Oct 2013, 20:20

APOX wrote:Although I just joined this forum, and just posted here, I have to bring up a possibly uncomfortable subject...
I have read about all the crapola people have to deal with just to get their equipment together to reload the 5.7 x 28, to the extent that It seems to require a near obsession and bottomless wallet to deal with it.

Have you checked out the 22 TCM ??? It is equal or better than the FN 5 7, costs much less, works very reliably (fail to lock slide open after last round is likely a problem with the magazine and not the pistol) and is basically a modified 1911.
The ammo is quite available, costs a lot less, and is much easier to reload. The cases are right between a 9mm and a .223/5.56, and can be reloaded using .223 cases.

Serious question: Why are people even bothering with 5.7 x 28 ? - really...
Just because you have already invested so much in the gun and ammo and reloading dies, etc???
Although the 22 TCM pistols may be made overseas, they were designed here in America by an American.
As I stated, it is equal or better than the 5.7 X 28 in general and in penetration specifically.

I feel as if I have been on some wild goose chase, and am wiping the sweat from my brow that I bothered to check out the 22 TCM in time, before committing to a whole lot of unnecessary expense, aggravation, work, etc. for nothing.
WHEW !!!

Good for you... :clap: (can I slow the clap down to make it look more sarcastic?)
Last edited by Yelraek on 23 Oct 2013, 05:27, edited 2 times in total.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 22 Oct 2013, 21:55

Yelraek wrote:Good for you... :clap: (can I slow the clap down to make it look more sarcastic?)
No but you can put the "Good for you..." part in sarcasm font, there's even a button for it. :thumb:

APOX, you are aware we can have more than one gun right? And that some us reload as a hobby, not a necessity? I have no idea where you got this:
APOX wrote:It seems to require a near obsession and bottomless wallet to deal with it
Let's see, when I started reloading the 5.7x28mm I bought dies, shell holder, a new scale, & a 550 shell plate. I had everything else because of the other calibers I reload. The investment was really no more than if I bought any other new caliber which could be reloaded. Notice I said investment, which is what reloading is. Anyone looking for an immediate payback is going to be sorely mistaken.
And I don't see how it is any more of an obsession than my other rifle calibers.

As for the 22 TCM, yeah we know about it. Some people here own it, here's a thread: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic ... 26&t=11954" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

APOX

Post by APOX » 23 Oct 2013, 12:08

As I said, I have scanned this topic in forum, and I have seen the back-and-forth of people trying to get dies that will work without modification, and posts about having to weld or grind or improvise just to keep the shell from falling through the press, and about having to get special adapters and plates and this, that and the other thing.
There are three main reasons I see for reloading:
#1 To save money
#2 Purely for hobby, (some people like to spend hours pulling that lever, go figure) which I would not agree with.
#3 Making better than you can buy, or experimenting with loads, all pretty much in the effort to put together a better round.

Reloading equipment is not cheap when you take into account all that you end up needing to do it right.

When people have to go to the trouble and extremes I have read about in this forum just to reload this one cartridge, I have to wonder "What's the point ?!?"
When I consider what I have just learned about the 22 TCM, in general, and in consideration of how much easier it must be to reload if one wants, I wonder "What the hell's the point ?!!!" "Why even bother with this dammed 5.7?!!"

The 5.7 X 28 is an extremely problematic cartridge, both because it is usually hard to find and expensive, and especially when reloading it seems to be a problem in itself. Competitively, 22 TCM is nothing less than fantastic in almost every way, and I have not come across any drawbacks that 5.7 would not have. Plus, I hear that the company making the ammo and/pr the gun will reload the ammo for you and charge $12.00 a box. If that is still true, how can someone resist?
- If they are already stuck with a 5.7 and all the reloading buts for it.

As far as owning more than one gun, I am of the rather small and exclusive school of not needing to buy one gun after another , and the reloading equipment, and all the other stuff, until you have major investments and whole rooms dedicated to put it all.
I, personally want just 2-5 firearms of any sort at most. I generally believe in only owning as many forearms as I would want to carry at one time. Instead of collecting, I believe in "trading up" and improving what I have. I know that is not the usual, but to the other extreme, I really don;t see the point in spending large amounts of money, time, etc. on an indefinite number of firearms it just seems to be a waste. Its still a supposedly free Country, and if people want to collect and spend, etc. that's fine, but it does not necessarily make the most sense to deal with a cartridge that is riddled with difficulties, when something equal or (much) better is more than available. If I had gone down the road of this topic, I would have ended up with thousands of dollars invested in ammo, reloading equipment, and firearm(s) that I would be looking to sell and trade up to something that is comparatively a breath of fresh air and a real solution.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 23 Oct 2013, 14:13

It's like that saying, "your mileage may vary" and clearly you have your opinion just as we have ours.
Not everyone has to go through all those problems. I do not consider the FsN any more problematic than my other reloads.

Please note that this thread is about reloading equipment for the 5.7x28, if you wish to continue talking about the 22 TCM, please do so in the thread linked in my previous post. Thanks.

dfosland

Post by dfosland » 23 Oct 2013, 16:07

APOX wrote:Hello.
Gotta hard one for youz guys...
I know virtually nothing about reloading. I reloaded .44 mag in a share shop once for a short time, not just to save money, but to make better than I could buy; but the owner who was supposedly experienced and knowledgeable was an idiot. His instruction and own efforts resulted in cases that looked a little like accordions - his response was that they would straighten out when I fired them. I left.

I have scanned this topic/forum. I want a 5.7 X 28 handgun, and already bought and sold a Masterpiece arms POC because I could not get the ammo. I want the good pistol - The FN Five Seven.
Common problem: Getting ammo. For reasons I cannot go into, time is not something I have to play with for the most part, so I can't go the usual route of starting with other cartridges and learning and working my way up. I need the hardware capability to reload these.
I need recommendations for the best overall setup for reloading this ammo with the following priorities:
#1: As fool-proof as possible (yeah, I know, I've read this topic, and it seems anyone is lucky to be able to do it without two presses, mods, grinding and welding, etc.)
#2: The smallest, most portable rig possible.
#3: Affordable, if possible.
- In this order -

Please don't caution me about this, I have educated myself on the basic situation: difficult and dangerous load to get wrong, etc.
I am not an idiot, extremely mechanically inclined, eye for detail, cautious, and a near perfectionist on things serious as this. But I have to get this done and it will get done, so those really in the know: Please help me get this taken care of.

I would very much appreciate help on this, especially if links and estimated overall cost might be.
-P.S.- Has any outfit yet offered a reliable and complete set/package for reloading this round ?!?
Any recent developments making the ammo more available and cost effective?
Thank you very much in advance.

This got to be longer than I would have thought...

To get back onto topic for you, asking opinions about gear and setup is akin to asking if Ford or Chevy is better, going to get a LOT of suggestions. Costs can be attributed to "You get what you paid for", cheaper is now always better. At a minimum, and depending on what you need, Lee makes a hand held reloading system, but I do not know if the 5.7 dies will work in it. After that, a single stage press will be the most compact and simplest, and again, brand is a personal preference (I like green, John Deere, RCBS...). Beyond that, as you may have seen from your counterpart that had wrinkled cases, the things (that are not consumables) you need at "my" minimum will be:

-A Press, single stage for simplicity, takes longer than a progressive, but is also cheaper and comes in kits (I use and RCBS Rockchucker Supreme)
-Dies, Lee, Hornady, RCBS...read the reviews on midwayusa.com (Have RCBS and LEE dies)
-A way to remove the primer crimp, I use a reamer (Hornady small pocket reamer with the Hornady Lock-N-Load Power Case Prep Trio)
-A trim die, but I didn't trim my once fired brass (because I haven't bought one yet)
-A scale for measuring your powder, a powder dispenser if you don't want to hand trickle each load onto the scale (Using an RCBS Uniflow to dump and chargemaster scale to check)
-A priming system, some of which attach directly to the press, I use a handheld (Found my RCBS Universal wouldn't hold the case, bought the -Hand Priming System, RCBS has an attachment that goes onto the Rockchucker for priming)
-With this round, getting the case gauge from Elite Ammunition is absolutely worth it for safety's sake.

As you have likely read in many other threads, there are other things that make reloading life simpler, ultrasonic cleaner for the brass, lube and lube pads, decapping dies, case prep centers...this list can go on forever, and has, and as previously stated, most of this becomes used in our other calibers, a small pocket reamer works for anything with a small primer pocket, the vibratory/ultrasonic/tumbler cleaners work on all types of brass (size dependent), so our overall gear costs get spread around the more calibers we reload.

The basic gear is listed in the very first post of this thread, including brands and some specifics like which primers and powder to use. The information is there for you to determine which one you want and then do the legwork of pricing it, I get some of my stuff from MidwayUSA, other stuff from Gun Broker, and yet some other from Amazon, even some from gunshows or Cabela's or other retailers.

One of the biggest challenges with the 5.7x28 in comparison to others is that the shoulder grows so much when fired that it is such a sticky wicket and a concern for many who just get started or don't do much research on it. Elite Ammunition's case gauge was designed to help overcome this issue, and it is simple to use and works well. One of the guys I was at the range with yesterday keeps calling this "The most dangerous round to reload" as he has known more than a couple people who didn't put in the prep time and ensure that the shoulder was back correctly and had out of battery detonations. For him, the fact that I came here for info and tools and made sure to check it, and that my first couple tests were "successful" (I didn't blow myself up and the pistol went 'boom'), impressed him with all the info here.

Now, I am by no means an expert reloader, and there are a lot of people here who have decades more experience than I do, but with their info at the beginning of this thread, others that have done in load tests, and topics in the other threads, all got me into a great start, and I owe them big time for all that info freely given away.

Lastly, I'm sorry, but I read your first post in this thread as a "do the leg work for me", but all the basics have been done by a lot of these people here, and I recently used as much as I could absorb to start in on this caliber. If what you are needing is more of a proper tutorial on reloading instead of the bad experience you got with the other person you worked with, and as you stated, this is round is not the best place to start, might consider one of your other chosen calibers to get into the swing of things and add this later. All the equipment will be the same except for the dies and some of the consumables. I got introduced to reloading with the 9mm 14 years ago, and 7 years ago I jumped into reloading the 50 BMG and have worked backwards from there, to the 30-06 and 308, to this, and soon enough, back to 9mm and .223. To say that the amount of gear on my reloading bench has grown would be an understatement, but at the same time, I don't "need" all of it, just that some of it makes different stages simpler or easier on the hands.

Yelraek

Post by Yelraek » 23 Oct 2013, 17:14

I'm sorry if my sarcastic post came off a little brash. It's just you see... I'm very much a cynic at heart. When someone posts a question, especially with such language as “for reasons I cannot go into, time is not something I have to play with”, and then three hours and six minutes later has a 180 degree turn around post which, maybe I’m a poor reader, came off as a bit confrontational. Well… it does raise a few flags in my mind.

There is a well of information here. And feel free to take advantage of it, I know I do. But it’s hard to be well received when you go from looking for information because you “want the good pistol - The FN Five Seven.” And suddenly in less than 24 hours being such an expert on the 22 TCM. Again, makes me wonder what the next flavour of the week is.

I’m sorry, I really don’t mean to insult. But maybe you should be thinking the same way.

As for my two cents as to good cartridges to get into… Reloading IS expensive to start up if you want to really get into it effectively. It CAN be done on the cheap… my father-in-law introduced me on 30-06 using the old Lee hand press he bought years ago for a dozen bucks (more like 30-50 now, and you need to buy a hammer). But if you’re going to stick to the cheap side your safety margin is going to go down and anyone would recommend staying away from the hotter loads and probably to stick to firearms where you’re not worried about chambering; bolt actions and “Wheel” guns.

If you’re thinking about anything for a practical purpose… well… you should probably just stick to the most prevalent cartridges anyways. The military is by far the greatest demand for ammunition around the world and will be the easiest to find globally. NATO has even tried to replace the 9 mil from being their standard… but it’s just hard to change when there’s so much out there. However, there stands as good a chance as any for 5.7 to be that round.

As for the gun itself… there are many good reasons to own one. I always get a little smile when I’m at the 100 yard range right beside a long gun tack driver zeroing in. Yes… he’ll be shooting much further later, I’m not nearly comparing the FsN to a sniper rifle… but it’s funny at the time.

Stay alert, stay safe!

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 16 Nov 2013, 12:15

Just an FYI from a new reloader here, I've had zero problems reloading the 5.7. One set of dies, came with the shell holder, no swaging needed, my press mounted primer arms works fine, this forum pointed me in the right direction for powder choice and load data, I was able to exceed factory ammo on day one, I've never had anything scary happen, etc. Some people have had trouble I'm sure, but they might have been the people cutting the path for the rest of us.

I also value my face and my hand, so I started loading 45 Colts for my .454 casull to give myself about 45,000 PSI of headroom should I make a mistake

As far as the TCM goes, did you happen to notice that the only bullet you can use in it is the same one Armscor uses in the 22WMR? No real bullets will fit. It's a neat idea, but I think FN has a bit more experience than whoever TCM is in making rounds that matter. I hear they're a great channel for old movies though...

GONRA

Post by GONRA » 16 Nov 2013, 14:16

GONRA suggests skip57PS90 use RCBS SMALL BASE 5.7x28FN dies,
STP Oil Treatment case lube, nice BIG press - sizing will be Just Fine.
Be sure to uses Hornady .22 seater with the sliding sleeve for bullet seating.
Suggest Small Rifle primers (NOT small rifle MAGNUM) and Tru Blue powder.
Don't forget to SWAGE primer pockets with a POST TYPE tool.
Dillon comes to mind, mine is an olde RDBS that may still be in production.

skyegod

Post by skyegod » 19 Aug 2014, 10:45

Lee Now makes a 5.7 Factory Crimp Die - It just got added to their roster ( I believe )

SKyegod

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 19 Aug 2014, 20:22

I would avoid LEE. They have been making 5.7 dies lately that are out of spec.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

varmitsnightmare

Post by varmitsnightmare » 25 Aug 2014, 13:42

Its been a while, but I came back to check on a good bullet puller for single stage press? I assume a (collet?)type puller, but I want to make sure. My kinetic hammer puller with the shell holder attached works but kills the brass. I guess my lee dies are tight. Well and that I have 35 grainers that need pulled( Max load- not so brave anymore- bumping back down a 10th or 2) Any how saw the list at the beginning and had no puller listed? Whats my best choice that leaves the least amount of marks on the 5.7x28 brass and bullet?

grimmond
Gold Member

Post by grimmond » 25 Aug 2014, 14:24

I use the honady cam lock bullet puller in my Lee single stage press. It leaves no marks on the case because you use your standard shell holder. It can leave marks or dent the bullet depending on if you crimped it or not, and whether the bullet is soft.
"Let us never forget that good intelligence saves American lives and protects our freedom."
-Ronald Reagan

varmitsnightmare

Post by varmitsnightmare » 25 Aug 2014, 18:52

My case necks are really tight, it is like they are glued and crimped, and for some reason it makes me nervous beating a live round on the cement floor. I guess I am looking at wasting at least one part of the assembly. Bullet or case and primer? I know by what you said about a small dent ,that the lead free ballistic tip Noslers I am trying to pull will be crushed by the puller ( no shoulder to grab onto either). I might as well try it , can always use it on other calibers. I think Hornady is what the local shop has. Thanks, anything to make life easier( and cheaper) helps.....

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 28 Aug 2014, 13:58

I use my seating die to press the bullets down a bit to break the glue seal before pulling them.
كاف

varmitsnightmare

Post by varmitsnightmare » 29 Aug 2014, 08:01

I know the factory loads are glued but does giving reloads a slight tap downward with the seater die help pulling them also? When I get a puller die ,I will try it both ways and see what happens. I have a few that was loaded in cold weather that is beating up the brass now that its warmer. At least that is what I'm blaming it on and not that I may have misread my homebrew data, I made while in the field testing

varmitsnightmare

Post by varmitsnightmare » 13 Sep 2014, 20:10

Ok the Hornady cam lock collet puller is worth every penny on light weight bullets. I pulled 50 or so 35 grain leadfree noslers and left hardly any marks. Beats the hell out of my kinetic puller that is rough on the 5.7x28 cases( that now has a bent handle due to tight necks and light bullets). If anyone is on the fence on buying one, get it , works sweet. Should work on 17 cals too, hope I never have to find out ,but I now have the collet if I need it. Works so well , I will be getting 30, 25, and 27 cal collets as well. Again the hornady Cam lock puller is sweet!

Also another plus and a big one that most guys will agree on is,,,, if your bench is inside your house, spare bedroom, basement, den ,whatever, the silent puller is not going to make the wife scream "what in the hell are you doing, go to bed, your keeping the kids awake !" I got that one with the kinetic puller in the garage( under master bedroom, she was not happy)

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 14 Sep 2014, 06:42

Same goes if you live in apartment complex. Neighbors wonder what the hell you're building if you do it during the day & if you do it at night, that's just rude & you deserve whatever you get.

derek1387

Post by derek1387 » 15 Sep 2014, 07:21

So I am about to dive into reloading the 5.7x28 cartridge. Any updated info on what is best to get for trimming, and dies?

Thanks

derek1387

Post by derek1387 » 15 Sep 2014, 09:34

And sorry for the question. I went through the 10 pages here, and seems like some great info, but a lot of it is also old posts. Just wanted to make sure I have the most up to date before I start loading.

Old Paul

Post by Old Paul » 09 Dec 2014, 14:32

I checked out the shell holders you show, but they are all the new type, and I still use the old Hollywood single stage press.
Can anyone tell me which of the older, threaded shell holders, to use for the 5.7 cases, that my press uses, or at least what standard case it is based upon, or similar too?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 10 Dec 2014, 14:26

25acp is about as close as you're going to get. Since you are using old style system it should be easy to get if you already don't have it.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Old Paul

Post by Old Paul » 25 Dec 2014, 14:08

In checking around the Internet, I learned that Midway sells an RCBS H Press Shellholder Adapter, #404696, for $19.99, plus SHH, and several reloading companies make the modern shell holder, including the Lyman Shellholder #35 (5.7x28, # 837700, for $7.39, which will fit in to the above adapter, to work in my Hollywood Sr. press.

I also found at least a couple of die sets (2 & 3 Die sets), and a 5.7x28 case length trimer too.

Now if you have an electronic powder despensor, and scale, you should be able to use one of the 5.7 x28 loading book minimum loads (Western Powder Reloading, and Load Data Guide, Edition 5.0) , and work up slowly, without damaging you gun.

custom title: new old member

Post by 748 » 25 Dec 2014, 21:17

To trim cases I bought the Trimpro-2 upgrade shell holder for $50.
The Trimpro-2 upgrade replaces the lever and removeable shell holder plates with a universal shell holding chuck.
I haven't used my shell trimmer for several years and after 3 moves I believe all the shell holding plates aside for 223 (the last one installed on there) are lost for good. The universal shell holding chuck is advertised "to hold everything from 338 [something or other] magnum to 5.7x28."

sledgehammer

Post by sledgehammer » 30 Mar 2015, 07:10

Anyone have any opinion on using the RCBS chargemaster as the scale of choice?

grimmond
Gold Member

Post by grimmond » 30 Mar 2015, 11:32

I use it and It works perfectly. Buy an additional check weights in different grains to double check it Periodically during use.
"Let us never forget that good intelligence saves American lives and protects our freedom."
-Ronald Reagan

Bazzer69
Silver Member
custom title: Erk of the first ord

Post by Bazzer69 » 14 Apr 2015, 10:38

panzermk2 wrote:I would avoid LEE. They have been making 5.7 dies lately that are out of spec.
Hang on a minute, Ive just ordered LEE dies based upon your previous recommendations. Now your saying don't buy LEE dies? Should I cancel the order? And what to get now?
Bazzer

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 14 Apr 2015, 10:55

He said that last August.
To be fair though, Lee was a leader in making good dies for the 5.7x28mm but then a couple of years ago they changed something, now they aren't so good. If you can cancel the order, I would consider it.
The dies people are recommending now are the CH4D dies.
I have the early Lee dies so I am good to go, I have not tried the CH4D dies.

jkelley209

Post by jkelley209 » 14 Apr 2015, 11:06

Redding dies are very good too.

Bazzer69
Silver Member

Post by Bazzer69 » 14 Apr 2015, 11:15

I've just ordered the Lee dies. The CH4d seem to have a long lead time.
Sorry, no offence intended.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 14 Apr 2015, 16:22

And this is where it started discovering LEE had changed their dies.

http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic ... t+resizing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 14 Apr 2015, 16:26

I also started carrying and recommending CH4D dies after the good results forum members had been having with them.

When more then a few senior forum members had great results with CH4D I ordered a set and started testing them. Based on that additional testing I not only started suggesting using them I started stocking them.

We are about to put a large order in for them this Wednesday morning. If you want a set and not a long wait ORDER NOW!
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 14 Apr 2015, 18:27

grimmond wrote:I use it and It works perfectly. Buy an additional check weights in different grains to double check it Periodically during use.
+1, and don't forget to go to McDonalds.

Bazzer69
Silver Member

Post by Bazzer69 » 14 Apr 2015, 20:04

panzermk2 wrote:I also started carrying and recommending CH4D dies after the good results forum members had been having with them.

When more then a few senior forum members had great results with CH4D I ordered a set and started testing them. Based on that additional testing I not only started suggesting using them I started stocking them.

We are about to put a large order in for them this Wednesday morning. If you want a set and not a long wait ORDER NOW!
Thanks for the heads up, I got a set of dies on order now from you.
Now to find some True Blue!

jkelley209

Post by jkelley209 » 16 Apr 2015, 08:23

What powder do you prefer Jay?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 16 Apr 2015, 10:07

jkelley209 wrote:What powder do you prefer Jay?
Retail it's true blue.

Currently I am importing a custom blend tweaked for the 5.7. It matches PBC673 which was the first powder used for the 5.7 and designed for it. Until now no powder matched it. This does. I may jug it for retail sales but that will be after I have the brass project cleared off my plate.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

jkelley209

Post by jkelley209 » 16 Apr 2015, 11:08

Thanks very much. Did you see the video i did on the Lyman loads ? i did a work up on True Blue but wasn't anywhere near 2000 fps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTM2MswyLgg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jkelley209

Post by jkelley209 » 16 Apr 2015, 12:59

i've never heard of PBC673 who makes that?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 17 Apr 2015, 07:23

jkelley209 wrote:i've never heard of PBC673 who makes that?

Wait for it..............PB.

Watch this video

http://www.pbclermont.be/video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

jkelley209

Post by jkelley209 » 17 Apr 2015, 07:54

WHERE CAN YOU GET IT IN THE US JAY? AND WHAT DO THE CALL IT HERE?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 17 Apr 2015, 14:17

You can't in anyway get it, you can't import it, You can't even get to look visit the factory and look where it could be made.

If you could I would have.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Bazzer69
Silver Member

Post by Bazzer69 » 17 Apr 2015, 15:11

Are the powder makers trying to " choke" the USA ? Politics ?

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 17 Apr 2015, 15:18

Personally I think it's the politics are trying to choke the powder supplies in the US.

However, there have also been actual supply issues not including the ever present hoarding. I think one major manufacturer even had a fire in which gunpowder wouldn't last long :D

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 17 Apr 2015, 15:18

No they are proprietary powders designed for FNH and under contract can only be made to order and only sold to FNH. This actually very common practice.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Bazzer69
Silver Member

Post by Bazzer69 » 17 Apr 2015, 15:24

FN is a Belgium Euro company , the Euro's mostly hate the USA , they supply NATO who also dislike the USA , yes I know the USA is a member. So it doesn't surprise me they are deliberately restricting supplies to the USA

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 17 Apr 2015, 15:24

BUT HOW DO I GET SAME, I NED TO LDE THEM AMMUNTNS
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Bazzer69
Silver Member

Post by Bazzer69 » 17 Apr 2015, 15:36

jkelley209 wrote:Thanks very much. Did you see the video i did on the Lyman loads ? i did a work up on True Blue but wasn't anywhere near 2000 fps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTM2MswyLgg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not that impressed with PB. Notice the big ding in one of the rounds near the end of the video ?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 19 Apr 2015, 13:01

Bazzer69 wrote:
jkelley209 wrote: Not that impressed with PB. Notice the big ding in one of the rounds near the end of the video ?

Really? You have used PBC powder?

A ding in a test round used for that type of testing is irrelevant.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Bazzer69
Silver Member

Post by Bazzer69 » 19 Apr 2015, 13:21

Of course I not used the powder because I don't think it's available to the general public. If I was making a video about my products I would ensure all that was shown was perfect.
Ps what happened to the T6 I ordered?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 19 Apr 2015, 19:22

PM Me the email address you used too order so I can resend your tracking number.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

satellitedr3ams
Gold Member
custom title: TimeTraveler

Post by satellitedr3ams » 13 Jun 2015, 12:29

Confirmed that it will work with the Newer Trimpro2 Universal Shellholder and it fits tight too. Maybe not as nice as the EA one, but it still works! :thumb:
You can actually upgrade your earlier gen Trimpro to the new one with this here and it will accept several calibers - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/271401 ... conversion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jkelley209

Post by jkelley209 » 14 Jun 2015, 14:48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIL8oVyowlM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lbaumann

Post by Lbaumann » 06 Nov 2015, 16:40

Please help with 40vmax. Accurate #7 powder. How many grains? Also how do fix dies so the neck properly

Tried rcbs ,lee same. Ordered some from Jay at EA
Tried some rounds at 6 g and some would jam and pop up clip
I got a lot of reloading under my belt. Looks like neck problem. Need help pleaseu

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 06 Nov 2015, 17:03

First, for which platform are you loading? The FiveseveN, PS90, AR57, something else?
Since you said "pop up clip" I am assuming the PS90 or AR57. (BTW, they're magazines, not clips)

Here are some threads that should cover what you're looking for as far as powder charge. Just pick the one that applies to you firearm. http://www.fivesevenforum.com/search.ph ... mit=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Those threads are a good place to start anyway. Since the author's loads (for the PS90) for #7 went over 7gr and you're popping mags at 6gr, there may be something else going on.

I have no idea what you are trying to ask on this:
Also how do fix dies so the neck properly
If there is a problem with the neck, it might help to post pictures of the cases. The instructions for how to post pics are linked in my sig line.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 09 Nov 2015, 10:21

He is having issues with the sizer die body on his RCBS dies, that is what he is referring to.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 09 Nov 2015, 10:41

Then it's a manufacturer's problem, not much he can do except return it & get a different/better set of dies.

Lbaumann

Post by Lbaumann » 17 Nov 2015, 18:50

Should there be a small gap between barrel and receiver. Took them out and put new fac round in
When I closed the two components togeather. I could see a very small gap (brass)
Thank you ,Larry Baumann. PS90

shootinbuzzards

Post by shootinbuzzards » 23 Aug 2016, 11:55

I have been loading 5.7 for about 4 years now and produce a variety of nastiness for both the gun range and any varmint that steps in front of my new addition to my PS90 (EOTech laser holographic weapons sight)
These are addictive once you start using one. Back to the reload info: Favorite powders are AA#7 for 50 grain & up bullets and vihtavuori N340 for up to 45 grain. Use a rock chucker single stage and refuse to change to anything different. The shell holder comes from ***********Elite Ammunition******** money well spent. The case trimmer -- RCBS but if you are going to load several invest in a Tungsten Carbide trim head as I load about 300 - 600 at a time. Note: trim length has been verified to work well at !.35 .

shootinbuzzards

Post by shootinbuzzards » 23 Aug 2016, 11:56

I also have the 5.7 FN . It keeps my PS90 company when out in the wild

shootinbuzzards

Post by shootinbuzzards » 23 Aug 2016, 11:58

shootinbuzzards wrote:I also have the 5.7 FN . It keeps my PS90 company when out in the wild
Definition of A Buzzard: Anything undesirable that deserves to be shot!!!!!!!!

Toaster

Post by Toaster » 23 Aug 2016, 13:27

I've been reloading old brass for a while and have run into a few problems I felt worth noting.

The RCBS shell holder destroys the rim because it has a lip on it that becomes imprinted in the brass. the Brass is also loose and wobbly in it leading to laquer scraping off one side and bullets seating cocked. In my opinion it makes it fairly unusable.

I have a Redding shell holder thats on the way, should work as it doesnt have the step. Any others experiencing this? Why has no one made a proper shell holder for single stage presses?

grimmond
Gold Member

Post by grimmond » 23 Aug 2016, 18:38

Toaster wrote:I've been reloading old brass for a while and have run into a few problems I felt worth noting.

The RCBS shell holder destroys the rim because it has a lip on it that becomes imprinted in the brass. the Brass is also loose and wobbly in it leading to laquer scraping off one side and bullets seating cocked. In my opinion it makes it fairly unusable.

I have a Redding shell holder thats on the way, should work as it doesnt have the step. Any others experiencing this? Why has no one made a proper shell holder for single stage presses?

Actually one has been made. The company is CH4D. They are some of the best dies I have ever come across. Elite is also carrying the die set from them.
-Ronald Reagan

Toaster

Post by Toaster » 24 Aug 2016, 14:29

I got the rcBS dies as a gift so I really didnt chose them. I picked up the shell holder at the local store,.

Ill take another look at the CH4d
Item #:40834 $9.28
Item #:40834X $9.28
Difference?

Also anyone know the difference between the 2 piece die set offered on their site and the EA is a 3 piece?

Thank all

Toaster

Post by Toaster » 24 Aug 2016, 14:29

I got the rcBS dies as a gift so I really didnt chose them. I picked up the shell holder at the local store,.

Difference?

Also anyone know the difference between the 2 piece die set offered on their site and the EA is a 3 piece?

Thank all

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 24 Aug 2016, 15:27

I seriously must have lucked out with my Lee dies. Once I put a primer-nipple-channel in the shell holder, they've been nothing but perfect.

grimmond
Gold Member

Post by grimmond » 24 Aug 2016, 19:13

The difference between the 2 is that one has a hole in it to eject primers out from. The other is a solid flat bottom which I use when sizing the cases. I deprime in a seperate step then with sizing.
-Ronald Reagan

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 25 Aug 2016, 05:05

Toaster wrote:I got the rcBS dies as a gift so I really didnt chose them. I picked up the shell holder at the local store,.

Difference?
grimmond wrote:The difference between the 2 is that one has a hole in it to eject primers out from. The other is a solid flat bottom which I use when sizing the cases. I deprime in a seperate step then with sizing.

Toaster wrote: Also anyone know the difference between the 2 piece die set offered on their site and the EA is a 3 piece?

Thank all
We include a CH4D crimp die. Also just an FYI the set we sell has one shell holder in it, not 2 and the one is not a CH4D holder. It is from another supplier.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Lekim

XL 650 Reloading equipment for 5.7x28mm

Post by Lekim » 25 Jan 2019, 20:17

Has anyone tried the 5.7x28 conversion kit from AZ-Born; https://az-born.com/ ? I bought a new Dillon XL650 progressive about a year ago. Am in the process of moving everything I can from the Rockchucker and Piggyback over to the new progressive. Don't get to spend a lot of time playing with it so it's been a slow go. I haven't gotten the advertised throughput out of it yet (still tweaking set-ups) but by comparison, it's a dream versus my green gear. Was majorly bummed when I found out Dillon doesn't offer a 5.7 caliber conversion kit for any of their presses. Started looking at some other internet forums and found some older threads where a couple of guys were attempting to prototype their own a few years ago but gave up after a while. Not sure why. Then I happened to come across AZ Born. Looks like a quality product and they've posted some videos on youtube so looks legit. Before I plunk down 150 clams, thought I'd ask the experts here if anyone had seen and tried this "after-market" kit.

Thanks,
Lekim

GONRA

Post by GONRA » 27 Jan 2019, 17:58

GONRA loads 9mm and .45 ACP SMG ammo on my Dillon.
But one should carefully load ANY 5.7x28mm FN ammo on a SINGLE STAGE PRESS, CAREFULLY WEIGHING POWDER CHARGES, to avoid chambering issues and worse yet - KABOOMS!

FNFbobcat

Post by FNFbobcat » 01 Nov 2020, 09:29

I ordered a RCBS #29 shell holder (.25 ACP) because supplier listed it as being interchangeable with 5.7x28FN. It is NOT! Too small, had to force 5.7 brass in and had a heck of a time getting it out. Be sure to order items that are 5.7 specific (RCBS #45). Beware of any supplier that lists components as being interchangeable between .25ACP and 5.7x28FN.

bluerev

Post by bluerev » 10 Dec 2020, 17:46

FNFbobcat wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 09:29
I ordered a RCBS #29 shell holder (.25 ACP) because supplier listed it as being interchangeable with 5.7x28FN. It is NOT! Too small, had to force 5.7 brass in and had a heck of a time getting it out. Be sure to order items that are 5.7 specific (RCBS #45). Beware of any supplier that lists components as being interchangeable between .25ACP and 5.7x28FN.
Damn, I wonder if the Lee #15 holder will cause the same issue..... It says it is for 25 ACP as well. I am thinking about ordering one....

FNFbobcat

Post by FNFbobcat » 12 Dec 2020, 09:39

I have a Lee #15. Works fine. Some brands are interchangeable, some are not.