5.7x28 Random Reloading Discussions

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

VeTTeMaNC486

Re: 5.7x28 Random Reloading Discussions

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 07 Aug 2011, 21:20

f3rr37 wrote:
MikeSantor wrote:Thanks man. I shell start cleaning my brass!
Welcome. :) I'm cleaning some .308WIN brass right now in my ultrasonic cleaner. :)
What are you using in it? I am using 1:1 ratio water/vinegar and I am not entirely pleased with the results. (they are clean but are not very shiny after a day or two.) They stay decently shiny if I let the dry on their own, but usually i toss them in the even for a bit because I want to load them not wait on them to dry.

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 09 Aug 2011, 19:03

Dumb Question #2 (you guys will get sick of me soon enough)

I can not seem to find the answer too this either. Do you ALWAYS have to trim, chamfer, and deburr brass? Im assuming the answer is yes. If the case stretches during ejection im assuming they all do this. So basically you would not sit and check the length of each brass before you load it. You just run all of them through the trimmer?

So if im right thus fur, is there any real scientific way of trimming this in regards to how much you are taking off? What I mean by this is I have seen a bunch of videos of people trimming with the TrimPro and drill and they are not measuring anything. They hit it with the drill for a second and go on to the next one. Again, is this just going under the assumption that they all need just a hair taken off so you zip it with the trimmer for a second and its good to go?

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 09 Aug 2011, 19:48

For consistency's sake you should always trim however, if you're just loading plinkers where you are not worried about the data and not really worried about accuracy (it will still be close) then there is a little leeway as long as it fully chambers the round. Anytime you trim, you need to chamfer & deburr.

Case trimmers have stop rings on them. On your first shell, measure it & run the trimmer up to the shell & set the ring (this is all in the trimmer's owner's manual), back off the ring a tad, lock it again & trim a bit. Repeat until you reach the correct length. Once there, the stop ring will make it so you trim to the same length on subsequent shells. It shouldn't move but you might wanna still check them occasionally :?:

Its not that they are just hitting it for a second & that is "magically" the right length. They are trimming down to the length set on the stop ring.
How to post pics & videos: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 10 Aug 2011, 02:22

Anyhow a stop ring. I should have thought about that... thanks for the info!

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 10 Aug 2011, 08:53

VeTTeMaNC486 wrote:
f3rr37 wrote:
MikeSantor wrote:Thanks man. I shell start cleaning my brass!
Welcome. :) I'm cleaning some .308WIN brass right now in my ultrasonic cleaner. :)
What are you using in it? I am using 1:1 ratio water/vinegar and I am not entirely pleased with the results. (they are clean but are not very shiny after a day or two.) They stay decently shiny if I let the dry on their own, but usually i toss them in the even for a bit because I want to load them not wait on them to dry.
For non-5.7x28 brass, I also use a 1:1 water/vinegar cleaning solution, I do this just to clean out all of the crap from the brass. I usually run it through a total of 5 cycles (8min each):
3 w/ cleaning solution
1 with a baking soda solution to neutralize the vinegar
1 with water to make sure everything is rinsed.

This gets the brass pretty clean, not sparkling, but clean enough for me. Then I'll trim/chamfer/debur and also run some steel wool on the outside and then they really shine nicely.

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 10 Aug 2011, 10:42

Ok, Got brass now its time to order the first round of actual equipment. Picking up the Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Case Tumbler, some simple green, the RCBS Trim Pro with plate from ea and the spear loading manual.

In regards to cleaning, I know the Wiki mentioned the ultrasonic cleaner. HF has a 2.5 liter for 75 bucks. Do you use this in conjunction with something else like the arsenal tumbler or is it more less one or the other? If it is one or the other, Is there a general consensus on using something like the EZ tumbler compared to the ultrasonic cleaner? I have no problem buying both if it will be worth it.

Am I missing anything in the case prep stage? After this purchase I should have everything to get my cases ready to roll in the dillion 550b...

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 10 Aug 2011, 10:56

MikeSantor wrote:Ok, Got brass now its time to order the first round of actual equipment. Picking up the Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Case Tumbler, some simple green, the RCBS Trim Pro which I am going to rig up to a drill and the spear loading manual.

In regards to cleaning, I know the Wiki mentioned the ultrasonic cleaner. HF has a 2.5 liter for 75 bucks. Do you use this in conjunction with something else like the arsenal tumbler or is it more less one or the other? If it is one or the other, Is there a general consensus on using something like the EZ tumbler compared to the ultrasonic cleaner? I have no problem buying both if it will be worth it.

Am I missing anything in the case prep stage? After this purchase I should have everything to get my cases ready to roll in the dillion 550b...
I just use the ultrasonic cleaner. My experience with the tumblers is that they're noisy, and I'm living in an apartment, so it is kind of out of the question. The insides of my cases are still a bit dirty, but I'm still shooting sub MOA out of my Rem700 .308 (completely stock) @400-525 yards, so it doesn't bother me.

One thing about tumblers is that the media tends to leave a fine dust on the brass, and when you go to size the brass (this depends on if you size before or after cleaning) with lube, it makes a mess and the dies need to be cleaned way more often... that's just my experience anyway.

Here is how I used to process the brass I put in a tumbler (used my dad's):
Deprime
Tumble
Clean and remove the tumbling media from the flash holes
Size
Trim/chamfer/debur and polish with steel wool
Prime
Measure/throw charges
Seat bullet

Here is how I do it now with my ultrasonic cleaner:
Deprime/Size
Ultrasonic clean
Trim/chamfer/debur and polish with steel wool
Prime
Measure/throw charges
Seat bullet

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 10 Aug 2011, 11:11

Are you getting the tumbler for your other brass? With the 5.7 they are using the ultrasonic instead a tumbler to retain the lacquer coating. Or, at least, that is how I understood it :?:

For trimming - did you get a 3-way cutter? It does the deburring/chamfering for you as you are trimming (although mine has been grabbing onto the brass as it is turning recently :wall:)

I would also recommend you get a collet type bullet puller with a .22 caliber collet. If you load something too hot then you can pull the bullets without really damaging them or losing the powder.
How to post pics & videos: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 10 Aug 2011, 11:11

Im assuming you dont HAVE to deprime before you clean? I say this because the Dillon 550b actually deprimes. So with the Dillon 550b the process would be:

Clean with tumbler or ultrasonic cleaner.
Lube
Trim/chamfer/debur

Then the dillon does the rest. Resizes/deprimes, etc etc.

Am I missing anything?

I also forgot im going to pick up that ABCs of reloading book everyone talks about. So im sure that will explain a lot.

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 10 Aug 2011, 11:17

No you don't have to deprime before you clean (if your size die is what you deprime with, the die will get dirty or possibly dent the cases if you dont clean), but as was suggested earlier sometimes its nice to clean AFTER depriming as well to wash off case lube and help clean out the primer pocket some.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 10 Aug 2011, 11:19

Lube & deprime first then clean. You don't want that lube inside your cases when you drop the powder in. Also, this way it cleans your primer pockets as well. Plus, still having that lube on your casings is going gunk up you gun & chamber. The hassle with using the 550 on this round is why I use a single stage - well, its a hassle for me

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 10 Aug 2011, 11:27

Rapier1772 wrote:Are you getting the tumbler for your other brass? With the 5.7 they are using the ultrasonic instead a tumbler to retain the lacquer coating. Or, at least, that is how I understood it :?:

For trimming - did you get a 3-way cutter? It does the deburring/chamfering for you as you are trimming (although mine has been grabbing onto the brass as it is turning recently :wall:)

I would also recommend you get a collet type bullet puller with a .22 caliber collet. If you load something too hot then you can pull the bullets without really damaging them or losing the powder.
I will be buying that 3 way cutter. And yes, the tumbler was going to be used for other brass as well.
Grantness wrote:No you don't have to deprime before you clean (if your size die is what you deprime with, the die will get dirty or possibly dent the cases if you dont clean), but as was suggested earlier sometimes its nice to clean AFTER depriming as well to wash off case lube and help clean out the primer pocket some.
Got it. I just say the Dillon talking about depriming at one of the stations of the press so I thought it was always done at this step (this step being the actual loading process.)
Rapier1772 wrote:Lube & deprime first then clean. You don't want that lube inside your cases when you drop the powder in. Also, this way it cleans your primer pockets as well. Plus, still having that lube on your casings is going gunk up you gun & chamber. The hassle with using the 550 on this round is why I use a single stage - well, its a hassle for me
So to revise,

deprime
Lube
cut/debur/chamfer
clean

Then into the dillon it goes.

Am I getting it right? Its hard to visualize all this in your head when you dont have any of the stuff yet and have never loaded anything in your life...

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 10 Aug 2011, 12:12

The lube needs to be applied before you resize. Most sizing dies also deprime (aka decapping).
Lube
Deprime/resize
Clean or trim
Trim or clean

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 10 Aug 2011, 12:31

Now im confused.

Bah, Im getting conflicting steps with everything I am reading and watching on youtube with people using the 550B.

No more questions from me till I get my reloading books and read them cover to cover.

Thanks Guys.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 10 Aug 2011, 12:36

That's why I use a single stage press. I like to do things in steps, not all at the same time. :p

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 10 Aug 2011, 15:48

f3rr37 wrote:That's why I use a single stage press. I like to do things in steps, not all at the same time. :p
Problem with that is its great if you want to go slow and make real precise rounds but im looking to do this for plinking/range time ammo. Being a basically unemployed (worked about 20 days in the last year total) shooter, 40 cents a round for SS197 is still too much for just range time. Im looking for a way to make a decent amount of rounds in a decent time. If I could pump out 300 rounds an hour I would be tickled pink. From what i have read, you cant do this volume with a single stage press yet with something like the 550b you can work at a comfortable, relatively accurate pace and still push out 300 rounds an hour.

You obviously all realize at this point all I can do is regurgitate what I have read off line. So please speak up if anything I am saying is way off the mark. Books will be here Friday. Then I can really get into this.

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 10 Aug 2011, 17:00

If you're using a depriming only die and then a separate size die, do this:

Deprime
Clean
Lube
Size
Trim/Chamfer/Debur
Clean (optional, but suggested)

You MAY

Clean
Deprime
Lube
Size
Trim, etc
Clean (optional)

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 10 Aug 2011, 17:06

Im going to end up going with your first option Grant. Only I wont be using a die for right now. Im going to see how slow it goes popping them out with a punch. I wanted to have the brass all ready to go by the time I got my press. So maybe Ill do the first big batch I have (4k+) by hand then get the die once I get the press.

jmz5
Site Admin
custom title: Proprietor

Post by jmz5 » 10 Aug 2011, 17:17

Do you have a shell holder at least? a punch may deform the brass a little if the base isn't supported.
كاف

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 10 Aug 2011, 17:26

Ok bad idea. I seen other people popping out primers like nothing. this is defiantly not the case with mine.

Justin, I have nothing at this point but brass. I just placed an order for a few odds and ends but nothing real big. mostly books. I guess I will just slow down a little. Like I said before, My goal is to have everything by winter time. I just wanted to atleast have my brass all ready to go by the time I got my press...