Forum Input for Suppressors

Forum for discussing NFA firearms and accessories such as suppressors, SBR and full-auto goodies.
panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Forum Input for Suppressors

Post by panzermk2 » 12 Jun 2010, 20:33

Guys I need your input. I get asked all the time what cans do and don't work with the 5.7x28. Now while I wold love to own and test every single suppressor out there it's just not going to happen.

So to that end could everyone who has a can that works please post the info here so I can put together a list. Please keep it to just posts about what works and with what ammo you have used.

I will be pruning since thread hi-jacking here is not just a sport it is a way of life.

To help clarify Dan freelienr suggested these additional criteria.

Just thinking it might be a good move to set a standard of terms for everyone to use since certain wording may be taken differently form another pov.

_Dan

rating system
1-a decent bang still in the report
2-loud "pop" report that overpowers the sound of the bolt slam
3-bolt slam audible, with a pop report
4-all you can hear is the bolt slam

Cans that work,
SWR Spectre.....................................................rating 2-3
silencerco's Sparrow 22...........................................rating 2
Gemtech S-FN57...................................................rating 4
Gemtech M4-96D upgraded G-5 mount.........................rating 3
AAC M4-1000.......................................................rating 4
Liberty - Constitution.............................................rating 4
Innovative Arms Slingshot TI.....................................rating 3

Cans that don't work
Knight M4 5.56 it may work great with M249 Machine guns and M4 but it's first set of baffles is to small causing a pressure spike with SS ammo popping the magazine out.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

freelienr

Re: Forum Input for Cans

Post by freelienr » 12 Jun 2010, 22:36

the can: silencerco's Sparrow 22
the ammo: Elite Ammunition's 10.5 Quietor

preformance:
definitely a deafened report, but still a decent bang. Good can for the 5.7 to shoot without ear protection. Best for a .22 round for optimum quietness.
if you're wanting to just hear the slam of your bolt, this is not the can for the 5.7 round. But it does unscrew and come in half, for very easy cleaning, good for 5.7 recreation shooting without ear protection.

*I'd rate it at a 1... maybe a 2
Last edited by freelienr on 26 Jun 2010, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.

Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Post by Esteves » 13 Jun 2010, 10:58

Gemtech S-FN57. Designed for the FiveseveN and used by me on the FsN. Works as advertised with everything I've thrown at it (which is everything commercially available or available on the secondary market - FN, EA, [Baca - now defunct])

Supersonic rounds are quieter with the can, muzzle blast is significantly reduced, and muzzle flash is essentially eliminated. Muzzle flip is also reduced and there are POI shifts.

Subsonic rounds are a must for quietest operation.
I never was thrilled with SB193 (inconsistent cycling of the action), and strongly prefer EA's FsN-tuned QuieTOR or my pet loads.

Hollywood quiet is achievable with primer-only pellet rounds. These will not cycle the action, but they sure are fun.

Even with primer-only hand-loads, the set-up is only truly silent if I keep my finger off of the trigger. (I don't, however, let the pursuit of perfection get in the way of "good enough.")

Other considerations:
Adjustable sights or a red dot sight are a must if you want POI to coincide with POA. The added height of the red dot is a boon for a clear sight picture.
--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Sylvester

Post by Sylvester » 26 Jun 2010, 10:46

I ordered my 1st can last week, a SWR Spectre 22/5.7 can rated for full auto 22, user cleanable cant wait to try it. Ill provide info when I finally get it.

kalikraven

Post by kalikraven » 26 Jun 2010, 12:25

I have an AAC M41K that will go on my PS90 after my SBR paperwork comes back. I also have a M42K but I'm leaving that on another rifle.

MacMan
custom title: Häblutzel

Post by MacMan » 11 Jul 2010, 16:07

SWR Spectre is a great can for the IOM,USG.We just completed a silencer test July3rd 2010 and the Spectre was tested that day on an IOM with factory SS195.Results of the test(data)will be posted free to all on nfatalk.org under the review section.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 12 Jul 2010, 08:13

Cool
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

MartinG

Post by MartinG » 14 Jul 2010, 00:11

There is a place that looks like it objectively evaluates cans. Here is the link below:

http://www.silencerresearch.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's freebies and a $30 subscription upgrade where the more recent reviews are done. He seems thorough.

HTH

MartinG

SSBiggun

Post by SSBiggun » 14 Jul 2010, 05:28

Well, Jay I use my older Gemtech M4-96D with the upgraded G-5 mount on the SBR and I found it to be very good with both sub's and hi-velocity stuff. Although heavier it's a GREAT can.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 14 Jul 2010, 06:21

SSBiggun wrote:Well, Jay I use my older Gemtech M4-96D with the upgraded G-5 mount on the SBR and I found it to be very good with both sub's and hi-velocity stuff. Although heavier it's a GREAT can.

On the 1 to 4 scale in the first post, what is the level of suppression?
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

SSBiggun

Post by SSBiggun » 14 Jul 2010, 07:24

panzermk2 wrote:
SSBiggun wrote:Well, Jay I use my older Gemtech M4-96D with the upgraded G-5 mount on the SBR and I found it to be very good with both sub's and hi-velocity stuff. Although heavier it's a GREAT can.

On the 1 to 4 scale in the first post, what is the level of suppression?
Sorry for missing this . Its a 3

LAFSNGuy

Post by LAFSNGuy » 30 Jul 2010, 09:59

I have an SWR spectre and have used it on my SBR PS90. It is hearing safe in my opinion. I haven't shot subsonic ammo so most of what you hear is the ballistic crack of the bullet. It is definitely alot more pleasant to shoot than unsuppressed. I just sent my five seven barrel off to be threaded so I don't have any experience with that as of yet. I would say the spectre would fall somewhere around a 2 or 3 on your scale. I've shot it into the ground in my back yard and no one called the cops. It would be hard to distinguish it as a gunshot except for the ballistic crack. It sounds similar to a pneumatic nail gun.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 30 Jul 2010, 10:36

Updated, thank you for your input.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Madhouse

Post by Madhouse » 25 Aug 2010, 17:36

SWR Spectre here, I would rate it a 3 on your scale Jay.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 25 Aug 2010, 20:21

Thank you Todd.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

bravo619
custom title: Concrete Jungle

Re: Forum Input for ammo

Post by bravo619 » 28 Aug 2010, 13:52

AAC M4-1000 on ps90 rate it 3 with ss197 2 with Quietor
Last edited by bravo619 on 16 Apr 2013, 11:42, edited 3 times in total.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 28 Aug 2010, 21:57

Where does it fall on my 1 to 4 scale? How come the tag is still on that colt Officers model? Need to break that puppy in. Nice Python.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

bravo619

Post by bravo619 » 29 Aug 2010, 19:18

yes you are correct amundo! the def is so nice i just aint got the heart to shoot it. i'd have to say 3.
Last edited by bravo619 on 16 Apr 2013, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 29 Aug 2010, 21:00

Cool, that nickled Python ever needs a new home let me know!
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

bravo619

Post by bravo619 » 29 Aug 2010, 21:16

no nickle here bro shes brt sts as denoted by the s instead of the E. shes a big dollar girl lol. but i'll keep your user as a will call if ever. Image

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 29 Aug 2010, 23:36

I could not read the S and the pic has a golden hue. Still very nice.

I know about big dollar Colts LOL,

Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

bravo619

Post by bravo619 » 09 Sep 2010, 14:15

yes you certainly do. those are a work of art! very nice my friend !

SpaceCoyote

Post by SpaceCoyote » 12 Sep 2010, 10:23

Great idea on this thread, too bad all it takes is one python picture & everyone gets sidetracked :)

I've got three suppressors that are usable with 5.7, unfortunately the only host I have is my AR57 until I get my PS90 back from Tornado Tech who is doing my SBR work for me:

1. Hearing Protection, LLC Checkmate - It's a full stainless .22 can which is rated for 5.7 use, their lighter aluminum model is not 5.7 rated. It's comparable in size and weight to the SWR Spectre.
2. AAC Ranger 2 - .223
3. SWR Trident - 9mm

I plan on making a full report with video as soon as I get my PS90 back. Until then all I can rate is the Checkmate on the AR57 which I would put at 2 on panzermk2's scale.

SpaceCoyote

Post by SpaceCoyote » 12 Sep 2010, 11:30

I worked up this spreadsheet and posted it on my friend's webspace, I'm not sure how to post html on the forum. I will continue to add to it when I get my PS90 back and as more people contribute to this thread.

http://www.viewoftexas.com/misc2/57suppdata.html

Also if y'all could let me know what weapon you are using when you rate that would help
Last edited by SpaceCoyote on 13 Sep 2010, 07:58, edited 1 time in total.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 12 Sep 2010, 22:26

They where using all of them.

EA tailors the load to each barrel length so sound generated should be pretty close to the same.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

SpaceCoyote

Post by SpaceCoyote » 13 Sep 2010, 07:29

Well excuuuuse me, I didn't realize the basis for comparison on this was custom "tailored" EA ammo.

All joking aside, my logic was that with a set load (ie factory ammo) the increased muzzle pressure from the shorter barrel of the FsN would result in a louder report than the p90 or ar57.

In layman's terms: If you shoot ss195 through the FsN it will be louder than the ar57 so a suppressor that rates 2 on an FsN might rate 3 on an ar57.

Either way I see your point regarding the EA, and it also makes for a much simpler, easier-to-read chart without so many columns. I thought the size & weight were good info for any forum members that were on the market for a can. I would have put price but can change and would require more updating. Any other info you would like to see on the chart?

Also I still didn't see anyone's rating for the aac m4 2k and the Liberty Constitution.
Forum Members Suppressor Ratings

bravo619

Post by bravo619 » 17 Sep 2010, 21:35

Very nice post panzermk2 very good info for those who are in the dark! and agreed on the info on them.

SpaceCoyote

Post by SpaceCoyote » 03 Oct 2010, 15:48

Finally got my ps90 sbr back (which I'm a bit disappointed nobody has commented on my slick texas themed duracoat job, see NFA Photo Thread). With that being said I got a chance to go out and do some suppressed shooting with my AAC Ranger 2 & SWR Trident 9mm.

Both cans worked great with factory ss197 & my subsonics (3gr hs6 under 55gr fmj). The AAC Ranger generated more blowback with the ss197 than the Trident which was not surprising due to the tighter bore. The Ranger is built more solid and durable and is shorter. The Trident is a bit longer but is lighter due to the aluminum construction.

I would rate both cans a 4 on panzer's scale. The Ranger seemed to be a bit quieter than the Trident with the ss197, but it was tough to tell. With the subsonics all that was audible was bolt slam with both cans.

The Ranger's solid construction is nice if you were jumping out of helicopter's for a living (or running around on 4-wheeler's varmint hunting). Conversely, I like using the Trident when shooting subsonics as the 9mm bore gives you more wiggle room if the bullet fails to stabilize.

I would highly recommend both cans, it just depends on if you want interchangeability with an AR15 or with a 9mm Pistol or subgun. Since I have AR's & 9mm's I went with both. It also works out well that either will work with the 5.7mm :D

bravo619

Post by bravo619 » 03 Oct 2010, 16:05

The reason no one commented on your ps90 is because you used Texas theme. lol BOOMER SOONER!

SpaceCoyote

Post by SpaceCoyote » 03 Oct 2010, 17:50

I didn't put a longhorn on it...

I knew what was coming after the UCLA loss... :furious:

Nightrunner

Post by Nightrunner » 19 Oct 2010, 12:20

MartinG wrote:There is a place that looks like it objectively evaluates cans. Here is the link below:

http://www.silencerresearch.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's freebies and a $30 subscription upgrade where the more recent reviews are done. He seems thorough.

HTH

MartinG

Hmmmmm,,He gets cans and ammo sent to him buy manufacturers to test and he charges for the info,,

NFAtalk is the exact mil-spec meters and testing procedure, BUT these are real people with dealer bought cans, not a one-off cans sent in for testing.

Plus it dismisses all the theories about "used" cans being louder than a new can.

Besides, we all donate our time, ammo, cans and weapons for the information database, and yes I spent a 9 hr day testing with Bill to contribute for the cause.

Oh yea, it is FREE info, same specs, actual real life production cans, many different flavors of ammo and weapons.

You decide, :thumb:

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 19 Oct 2010, 12:45

Updated.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

usmcronin

Post by usmcronin » 30 Jan 2011, 19:38

http://www.deltapdesign.com/suppressors ... suppressor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A friend on mine builds these, and another of my friend tested fired one on his PS-90 and was very impressed. Sorry no sound data was taken. It's on my wish list as well as one of his 7.62mm cans, but that's another story. I believe some reviews on the DP cans are on slicencertest.com.

From what I heard AAC dropped thier 5.7mm pistol can beaucse of a lack of interest, damn I was interested.... Went to purchase one and they said sorry out of production. Did they start back up on these or still a no-go from AAC? I think the biggest problem for AAC and the 5.7mm pistol was a study and high quality supply of threaded barrels.

Delta P is mainly focusing on the P/PS90 market rather then the pistol. I think since DP's cans tend to be short and fat that limited the ability on a pistol's sight use.

Byron from DP is more of the engineer type and not much of a marketing people person. Hopefully he'll get someone to do more marketing.

Some of the mini-cans coming out (SHOT 2011 had some new ones) should lend themselves quite easyily to the 5.7mm market.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 30 Jan 2011, 21:23

Nightrunner wrote: Hmmmmm,,He gets cans and ammo sent to him buy manufacturers to test and he charges for the info,,

NFAtalk is the exact mil-spec meters and testing procedure, BUT these are real people with dealer bought cans, not a one-off cans sent in for testing.

Plus it dismisses all the theories about "used" cans being louder than a new can.

Besides, we all donate our time, ammo, cans and weapons for the information database, and yes I spent a 9 hr day testing with Bill to contribute for the cause.

Oh yea, it is FREE info, same specs, actual real life production cans, many different flavors of ammo and weapons.

You decide, :thumb:
While I do like the free info on NFA talk, without doing all the shooting the same day, it is very hard to get accurate comparisons. Maj Malfunction is working on his own testing as well.

warlokk08

Post by warlokk08 » 22 Feb 2011, 11:28

I've tried the Gemtech, SWR Spectre, and the Advanced Armament M4-1000. All are great suppressors, but in my opinion the AAC is my favorite. I think Ops Inc. is coming out with a Five Seven can. If they do, you can bet it will be wicked.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 18 Mar 2011, 12:35

Cans that don't work
Knight M4 5.56 it may work great with M249 Machine guns and M4 but it's first set of baffles is to small causing a pressure spike with SS ammo popping the magazine out.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

msw

Post by msw » 16 Apr 2011, 10:44

Gemtech's G-5 with Bilock works great on a PS90 SBR. And the G5 is great on 5.56 NATO.

Gemtech's 5.7 pistol can is OK, with subsonic 5.7, but it's not as quiet as my AAC Evo9 with 9mm subsonic.

As someone who had an AAC 5.7 can and eventually received a refund from AAC so they could destroy the can....well, I guess that says it all. If AAC ever changes their mind and makes a 5.7 can as good as their Evo 9, I might be interested.

For me, it's not worth it to suppress this round in a handgun, as most .22 LR are much quieter.

Just my $0.02. YMMV.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 16 Apr 2011, 12:44

msw wrote:Gemtech's G-5 with Bilock works great on a PS90 SBR. And the G5 is great on 5.56 NATO.

Gemtech's 5.7 pistol can is OK, with subsonic 5.7, but it's not as quiet as my AAC Evo9 with 9mm subsonic.

As someone who had an AAC 5.7 can and eventually received a refund from AAC so they could destroy the can....well, I guess that says it all. If AAC ever changes their mind and makes a 5.7 can as good as their Evo 9, I might be interested.

For me, it's not worth it to suppress this round in a handgun, as most .22 LR are much quieter.

Just my $0.02. YMMV.

Thanks for the input, MSW. Great data point. I was aiming to later obtain a Gemtech 5.7 Can. I have heard the YHM can on the AR57 and was very impressed, and looked at the Gemtech 5.7. To hear that the Gemtech and AAC 5.7 can are both no go, that is disappointing... but I'm thankful for the early warning.

There really isn't an option for me now, as I only opted for the Gemtech 5.7 can for the portability and compactness. Regular cans are too large for me.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 16 Apr 2011, 13:16

blueorison wrote: There really isn't an option for me now, as I only opted for the Gemtech 5.7 can for the portability and compactness. Regular cans are too large for me.
Get a regular 22 can then. Liberty Kodiak, Silencer Co Sparrow, and SWR Spectre will all work fine. The new Surefire is supposed to work on the 5.7x28mm round as well. Plus they are all take apart so using them on a 22lr is no problem. I cant wait for Elite to put out their threaded stock sized barrel so I can use my Kodiak on it.

msw

Post by msw » 21 Apr 2011, 15:36

I roll my own subsonic. I had 200 rounds of Elite's "He who shall not be named" (am I even allowed to refer to Ryan?) ammo and there were so many misfires, malfs, FTF, etc. that after a box with 50% failures, I broke down the rest.

I did contact Jay & he offered to take 'em back, but I just didn't feel right hosing Elite/Jay for Ryan's bad work. My choice--Jay was 100% into making it right. Nothing against the current Elite--It's just quicker to make a 2.9gr 3N37 & 55gr FMJ myself--it's been a long winter--what better way to spend the time than reloading. Now the range is buried in mud--so I may just make more.

Esteves also sent me some factory FN subsonics--even they weren't what I hoped for in the pistol--but from the SBR with a Gemtech G5--Ooooh, Mama-san!

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 21 Apr 2011, 16:12

2.9 of 3N37? Any issues with case volume? That is one of the powders/loads I am experimenting with.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

msw

Post by msw » 24 Apr 2011, 13:03

Not so far. This is what I use for my SBR & pistol--NOT a full legnth 16" barrel--you might get a round stuck!

All legal statements about this load being used in my firearms, etc. apply.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 24 Apr 2011, 13:30

Great, thanks. I don't use any of my reloads in the PS90 as yet. Just the FsN.

Guess I will start dialing it down then. I am at 3.4gr now & using different bullet weights. This powders has proven to have more consistent speed & groups. I like but still get the occasional keyhole :?:

cHaMeLeoN352

Post by cHaMeLeoN352 » 25 Apr 2011, 21:28

I have an Osprey .45 suppressor that I purchased and have been waiting for as I jump through the NFA hoops.

My question is: As this can is rated for use with the 9mm through .45, do I have to go through the whole process if I want another baffle, so it is interchangable for different calibers or even different guns (i.e. going from my USP Tactical to FNP 45 T)?

My guess is yes, as this is considered a suppressor part, but is it the same waiting period or can I pay the $200 tax and be done with it?

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 26 Apr 2011, 00:37

If you want to put it on a 9mm, you will need a different booster since they are different threads. But no you dont need to go through the stamps and paper work again.

cHaMeLeoN352

Post by cHaMeLeoN352 » 26 Apr 2011, 09:23

I was looking through the Silencerco website and I did not see anything about buying different boosters. Maybe there is some adapter I am unaware of.

They do sell different pistons, which adapt to different calibers, but this would qualify as a suppressor part and additional tax stamp in my understanding of NFA laws.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 26 Apr 2011, 09:28

Piston and booster are the same thing. Again, when you buy another piston, you don't need another stamp or do the paperwork again

freelienr

Post by freelienr » 14 May 2011, 09:17

got my replaced quietor ammo, shot it through the ps90 with the Silencerco Sparrow 22: the rating is still at 2, closer to 3. It's like shooting a 22 lr, easy on the ears, also fine for shooting standard non-subsonic ammo through without ear protection.

Bottom line, this can doesn't get you that total suppression that everyone craves, but it is the perfect can to have for the shooting range, don't have to bother with ear protection (nice thing if you plan on using it for home defense), easily disassembled for cleaning. I have designed a locking quick connector for this can, it is still waiting to be machined, will share pics when that is done.

Pac Sound

Post by Pac Sound » 14 Aug 2011, 14:54

Has anyone tried or heard anything about this DeGroat Tactical "NANO" suppressor? I'm looking for a can for my FsN and all I seem to hear is negatives about everything out there. I sent a message to David at Liberty Suppressors to see if they had any plans for making a can, and Stu called me back the next business day. Seems they have a huge back log just trying to keep up with existing orders, and until they get caught up, they wont be doing any special projects. So if anyone out there has heard anything about this little suppressor, let us know!!
Thanks!

bud1959

Post by bud1959 » 17 Aug 2011, 19:48

I have the AAC M4 2000. Has anyone used it or knows someone? It is great on my AR's but have not got home to try it!

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 17 Aug 2011, 19:57

bud1959 wrote:I have the AAC M4 2000. Has anyone used it or knows someone? It is great on my AR's but have not got home to try it!
yarly I like it.
Shoot more, worry less.

bud1959

Post by bud1959 » 17 Aug 2011, 20:59

Works well on your PS?

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 17 Aug 2011, 21:39

Apologies, wasn't clear on what was being asked.

I do not own either, have used the AAC on an AR carbine and seen it used on a AR57. It is hearing safe on the AR57, for me, from a distance of 10 feet. And I have very sensitive ears. Have not used it on a PS90.

Pretty sure Spacecoyote has both; you might want to PM him. Though I don't think his PS90SBR uses it.
Shoot more, worry less.

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 18 Aug 2011, 03:45

I'm awaiting a mount to put my Spectre on my ps90 and an EA threaded barrel for my fsn.
كاف

WolfRulz

Post by WolfRulz » 29 Sep 2011, 21:26

Has any one tried the YHM Phantom Ti on a 5.7 SBR??? Works great on my .223 - 16" (subsonic Ammo) - Just wondering.

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon

Post by jgreenberg01 » 03 Oct 2011, 17:51

WolfRulz wrote:Has any one tried the YHM Phantom Ti on a 5.7 SBR??? Works great on my .223 - 16" (subsonic Ammo) - Just wondering.
Yes. Look at this video:

0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

WolfRulz

Post by WolfRulz » 25 Nov 2011, 14:15

My test results - on the YHM Phantom Ti on an AR57 SBR is a rating of 4 (firing SS197). I have basicaly the same setup as jgreenberg01 (nice video - thanks).
It does make a distinctive 'swishing-ping' sound - I think that's the bullet breaking the sound barrier just as it exits and it's quickly followed by the 'SLAP' of the bullet hitting the backstop. I noticed that the Phantom gets hot - REAL HOT after running 50 rounds thru it - I use a silicon pot holder (a dimpled square, good grip and fits nicely in my range bag) to remove it and it does take a while to cool down enough to put it in it's storage bag :laugh:
I'm now reloading my own 40gr Vmax successfully so I'm ready to try creating some subsonics.
Let the Zombies come . . . . .

cHaMeLeoN352

Post by cHaMeLeoN352 » 24 Jan 2012, 15:39

I don't know if anyone saw this yet:

Silencerco's new saker 5.56 suppressor

I own the Osprey 45 suppressor for my USP tactical, which is top notch, so I will be picking up one of these.

I am actually in the market for a 7.62 can that doubles as my 5.56, but I expect the 7.62 at next years SHOT show. If they released the 7.62 first, no one would buy the 5.56.

I like how both ends of the can are adaptable and the flash hider eliminates resonance.

garzaro

Post by garzaro » 05 Mar 2012, 18:04

Guys, yes I am new and thus asking stupid questions you pros have heard a hundred times! Thanks ahead of time
I won a Sparrow22 with the $200 for the tax stamp! I will be submitting the proper paperwork and of course the dealer will hold my suppressor until then...

guys i need to find out how to put this can on my soon to pick up five seven pistol :cya: :cya: posting.php?mode=reply&f=17&t=8215#
1) do in need to buy drop in barrel and get it modded
2) should I get my original barrel modded
3) who should do the work and avg cost?
4) will the Sparrow below with 1/2 x28 threads go on without additional adapter

PS: I own the ruger tactical 10/22 which comes threaded from factory and ruger charger 10/22, fun and cheap plinkers for my boys and I
PLUS my fav, PS90, which I hope to officially (batfe paperwork)convert to shortened/threaded barrel at a later time.

specs!
Silencerco - 22 Sparrow SS
Caliber
.22 lr

Additional Calibers
.17 hmr
.22 mag
.22 wmr
5.7×28 FN

Multi Caliber Use
The stainless steel 22Sparrow is rated and warrantied for use with all rimfire rounds, .22 diam and under such as .17 hmr and .22 mag. It is also rated for use with the 5.7×28 FN round.

Full Auto Use
The 22Sparrow is rated for full auto .22 lr machine guns.
Weight
6.5 oz
Diameter
1.062"
Length
5.08"
Sound reduction
41dB*
* tested with Walther P22, CCI Standard Velocity, 70 degrees, 5100' elevation.
Material
Alloy Steel
Heat Treated 17-4 PH Stainless Steel
Finish
Black Oxide
Magnesium Phosphate (Outer Tube)
Mount
½×28 threads
Thread Options
Don't engage o-ring
Thread should be standard .5×28tpi Class 3A threads with a length of .400"

Engage o-ring
Our innovative Sparrow O-ring engagement offers the additional advantage of keeping the muzzle threads of the host weapon clean and the suppressor is held secure with an o-ring placed inside the female threads to which the host weapon would thread. Silencerco offers custom adapters for the Walther P-22, The Sig Mosquito, the GSG 1911/22 to take advantage of the o-ring engagement. Note: The 22Sparrow will thread on any standard .5×28 threads and any other silencer threaded in .5×28 will thread on our adapters. Minimum overall thread and o-ring engagement is .476".
The 22Sparrow is the first silencer in the world to offer the patent pending Multi Part Containment (MPC) technology, which allows the 22Sparrow to be easily disassembled for cleaning and maintenance after heavy use.
Last edited by garzaro on 05 Mar 2012, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 05 Mar 2012, 19:10

you dont need to hurry and get a barrel. the stamp wont be approved for at least 6 months. some people choose to get a new barrel, others choose to get their stock barrel threaded. along with the threading, you will need a custom adaptor to convert it from 10x1m to silencerco's 1/2x28 o ring threads.

garzaro

Post by garzaro » 06 Mar 2012, 20:50

thank you, will the adapter add much length to the already extended threaded barrel? any suggestions for who you would recommend for the job?

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 06 Mar 2012, 20:57

Yes it will add length. I don't have my fsn threaded so I can't recommend anyone personally

OnyxSkyDV

Post by OnyxSkyDV » 23 Mar 2012, 20:13

I can verify the SWR Spectre sounds great on my SBR PS90. I don't really hear much first round pop, and to me the sound is 3 - 4 with subsonics, both the QuiTor and my own homerolled 55gr SP subs.

Onyx

slimpikins

Post by slimpikins » 03 Oct 2012, 15:36

Well boys, I suppose I will have to finally post a photo of my proprietary reflex suppressor for the PS 90 I designed and built. The platform is a standard 16 inch barrel PS 90 with a quick detach (1/4 turn) titanium suppressor which slides over the entire barrel and has the look of a P90 with a screw on unit. It's very quiet with sub-sonic ammo, pop gun sound, and with supersonic ammo, shooting without hearing protection is very comfortable... love it!

Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Post by Esteves » 04 Oct 2012, 12:28

slimpikins wrote:Well boys, I suppose I will have to finally post a photo of my proprietary reflex suppressor for the PS 90 I designed and built. The platform is a standard 16 inch barrel PS 90 with a quick detach (1/4 turn) titanium suppressor which slides over the entire barrel and has the look of a P90 with a screw on unit. It's very quiet with sub-sonic ammo, pop gun sound, and with supersonic ammo, shooting without hearing protection is very comfortable... love it!
Pics (or video), or it ain't true. :D
--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 04 Oct 2012, 14:13

Esteves wrote:
slimpikins wrote:Well boys, I suppose I will have to finally post a photo of my proprietary reflex suppressor for the PS 90 I designed and built. The platform is a standard 16 inch barrel PS 90 with a quick detach (1/4 turn) titanium suppressor which slides over the entire barrel and has the look of a P90 with a screw on unit. It's very quiet with sub-sonic ammo, pop gun sound, and with supersonic ammo, shooting without hearing protection is very comfortable... love it!
Pics (or video), or it ain't true. :D

If this is who I think it is they have been using some of our SS 16.5 to test.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

slimpikins

Post by slimpikins » 22 Dec 2012, 05:53

The reflex suppressor is a pop gun with FN sub-sonic ammo, however the ammo is VERY dirty causing fouling in the barrel and bolt. I suspect this might well be due to its being designed for use in a 10 inch barrel and the longer 16 inch barrel traps too much debris. It caused a bullet to jam in the barrel and get slammed by a following round. Not good.

After removal of the jammed bullets, I went over to using stock super-sonic ammo, blue tip variety and not one problem. It's obviously a little louder, however no hearing protection is required and it's much quieter than a standard .22LR round. I tried some of the sub-sonic rounds offered by Elite Ammo in the two loads produced, but neither were sub sonic as clocked by the Chronograph and hence about the same noise as standard blue tip. I don't know why this is, perhaps it's due to the factory 16 inch barrel.

I feel this set up is fantastic for use with standard ammo, which is much less costly and is usable without any hearing protection and yet has full velocity vs. sub-sonic. I am very pleased with this system. Plus the suppressor is on a quick detach mounting at the receiver end, so breakdown after use for cleaning is a matter of 2 seconds.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 22 Dec 2012, 10:45

Have you tried our barrel specific sub sonic ammo? I just reformulated the 10.5 to reduce residue.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 22 Dec 2012, 13:33

finally got my FsN threaded. Liberty Kodiak and my normal supersonic reloads. No need for hearing protection. Works great.

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 22 Dec 2012, 17:46

I need to get me a threaded barrel...
كاف

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 22 Dec 2012, 19:53

jmz5 wrote:I need to get me a threaded barrel...

Do you know someone who can get you one? :p
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 23 Dec 2012, 07:04

I spent all my extra money on my cruise.
كاف

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member

Post by jgreenberg01 » 23 Dec 2012, 07:04

Panic cruise buying...
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 23 Dec 2012, 10:42

I need a threaded barrel as well. I wonder how well an Osprey would work on 5.7 :)

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 23 Dec 2012, 19:31

Buffman wrote:I need a threaded barrel as well. I wonder how well an Osprey would work on 5.7 :)

It's OK the Gemtech is the best I have found so far. Size, weight etc. it strikes the best balance.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 23 Dec 2012, 20:21

people have used an Osprey 45 can on a 5.7? I was joking, as I didn't think it could handle the pressure

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 23 Dec 2012, 21:03

Of course it can. between the volume/bore size, it can handle tons of sub calibers. Pressure isnt the only thing a suppressor needs to worry about, volume is the other. The 5.7x28 doesn't have a lot of volume. Thats why quite a few .22 suppressors can handle it. The Osprey .45 is also rated for 10mm.

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member

Post by jgreenberg01 » 24 Dec 2012, 07:05

I will have a Spectre II whenever the ATF gets around to approving the tax stamp (they say March-ish). I got it for my Ruger 10/22 & S&W M&P22 but it's multi-caliber so I'll also track down a threaded barrel for the FsN when I get the suppressor and we'll see how that one works.

It had the best average sound reduction while maintaining the best accuracy of these cans that were tested:

http://www.americanrifleman.org/article ... Silencerco" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: Jay - I just noticed that as per your website there's a 10-12 week lead time on the threaded barrels - I don't know if you can even answer this, but with all the panic buying going on, is this still a reasonable estimate for ETA?

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 24 Dec 2012, 08:42

Spectre 2 is an awesome can. It pretty much lives on my S&W 15-22.
كاف

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 24 Dec 2012, 12:37

jgreenberg01 wrote:I will have a Spectre II whenever the ATF gets around to approving the tax stamp (they say March-ish). I got it for my Ruger 10/22 & S&W M&P22 but it's multi-caliber so I'll also track down a threaded barrel for the FsN when I get the suppressor and we'll see how that one works.

It had the best average sound reduction while maintaining the best accuracy of these cans that were tested:

http://www.americanrifleman.org/article ... Silencerco" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: Jay - I just noticed that as per your website there's a 10-12 week lead time on the threaded barrels - I don't know if you can even answer this, but with all the panic buying going on, is this still a reasonable estimate for ETA?

No damn clue.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Burt Gummer

Post by Burt Gummer » 28 Mar 2013, 21:18

My Sparrow takes the bite out of the pistol, but not hearing safe (imo). My Mystic, although big, cycles fine and is hearing safe. Have not tried my Osprey yet.

bravo619

Post by bravo619 » 04 May 2013, 15:59

I have the AAC Ti Rant 45 and its really quiet and when you shoot it wet its scary quiet, I thought it would be front heavy but with a full mag it evens out and the tall Heine tactical night sights aiming isn't a problem. I've heard cap guns that are twice as loud. I love it and use it on my HK 45c and vector super v cqb. Image

offtheace

Post by offtheace » 13 Jun 2013, 16:47

I have a Thunderbeast 22-L1. I've only used SS195LF so far. The suppression was fantastic. Most of the noise I heard was coming from round hitting the target. Only firing this from my FiveseveN pistol though I felt unacceptable amounts of blowback. I'd give this a 3 for the sound but a 0 for the blowback. I'm considering a 9mm suppressor or perhaps larger.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 15 Jun 2013, 09:29

offtheace wrote:I have a Thunderbeast 22-L1. I've only used SS195LF so far. The suppression was fantastic. Most of the noise I heard was coming from round hitting the target. Only firing this from my FiveseveN pistol though I felt unacceptable amounts of blowback. I'd give this a 3 for the sound but a 0 for the blowback. I'm considering a 9mm suppressor or perhaps larger.
Cool thank you for the feed back since it's pretty much impossible for one person to have every can out there just for testing.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Fridge Raptor

Post by Fridge Raptor » 26 Jul 2013, 17:54

Has anyone tried an AAC Element 2 on a FSN pistol?

sean48238

Post by sean48238 » 03 Jun 2014, 14:33

Hey guys whats the best can for the ps90 SBR for quick detach mount?

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 03 Jun 2014, 16:47

For quick detach stuff, Gemtech G5 is pretty good. They also sell the flash hider mate for the PS90

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Re: Forum Input for Suppressors

Post by Rapier1772 » 17 Feb 2017, 12:55

FINALLY got my new suppressor, an Elite Iron Echo for the 5.7. (Which they've apparently discontinued?)
Using subsonic ammo (3.4gr HS-6, 55gr FMJ), it is quieter than my Gemtech. GT was about like a loud paintball gun but still kinda wanted hearing protection. Last night I fired 20rd through the Echo & I don't think it's loud enough to worry about.
I did not try any factory ammo but with supersonic rounds one will likely need to use ear plugs anyway.
Also, the diameter of the suppressor is smaller than I realized. Looking down the sights, I don't notice the suppressor at all; the slide completely obscures it. I'd score it at a 4

It is heavy when compared to the GT & even when compared to the FsN itself.
BATFE wait time: 7 months.

EDIT: Had a friend with the electronic ear muffs on, they didn't activate when I fired subsonics through the Echo.

GONRA

Post by GONRA » 15 Mar 2017, 13:26

Based on yer "7 month" info, GONRA's expecting Gemtech around May.
Interested in your handload! What brass & primer did you use?

Intention was to use the ORIGINAL EA brass - "drastically reduced case capacity"
but am accumlating data needed to blast away when it arrries.
THANX!

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 17 Mar 2017, 01:42

GONRA wrote:
15 Mar 2017, 13:26
Based on yer "7 month" info, GONRA's expecting Gemtech around May.
Interested in your handload! What brass & primer did you use?

Intention was to use the ORIGINAL EA brass - "drastically reduced case capacity"
but am accumlating data needed to blast away when it arrries.
THANX!
Factory brass & Winchester Small Rifle primers.

GONRA

Post by GONRA » 07 Sep 2017, 09:50

GONRA received GEMTECH. About 10 months 3 weeks BATF wait tyme. Guesss I'm "Special"?
Hope to blast away next week. Have Fun Fellas.....

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 11 Sep 2017, 06:53

Sweet!
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

GONRA

Post by GONRA » 13 Sep 2017, 12:58

GONRA’s first shootin’ with suppressor.
Following setup was a HUGE SUCCESS.
5.7x28mm FN Five-seveN® pistol 20 rd. mag, Viridian Universal Mount Green Laser.
Sights / laser were setup / adjusted with FN’s original barrel.
Try to beat this setup fellas.....

Today used (first time) EA 20 lb. recoil spring and threaded FiveSeveN EFK Fire Dragon barrel
GEMTECH SFN-57 suppressor with 10x1mm metric RH threads.

Shot 5 rounds new factory FNB 14 ammo. Had other shooters shoot 2 more 5 rd. strings
so I could try to figger out where fired cases went and listen to “supersonic suppressed noise”.
STRONG EJECTION, FLAT PRIMERS, MUCH QUIETER.
Found 8 fired cases (looked Just Fine) – remainder are in somewhere in “weed heaven”
after bouncing off sheet metal corrugated roof.

This rough “3 (experienced) shooters 25 yard test” had nice overlapping groups. Maybe 8 inches.
We noted how easy it is (obvious sights, nice trigger pull, no real recoil) to blast away with this setup.

Really pleased, fun to shoot, etc.
Plan on loading up subsonic ammo next, after cleaning up a couple other Pointless Retired Man gun projects.

tps3443

Post by tps3443 » 23 Dec 2017, 12:03

When I shot my PS90, I put (150) rounds through it. And I did not need hearing protection at all! It sounded like a .22LR rifle.
I was using American Eagle I’m sure this is why it was so quiet!

Moving to using my Five SeveN and it’s very loud.

drgntkd

Post by drgntkd » 11 Dec 2019, 08:11

So, I know this is an old thread, but Jay wolf brought it up on Facebook, so I figured I would add to it. I bought an Innovative Arms Slingshot TI to use with my 22's and my FiveseveN.

I would add a rating based on the original scale at a 3.

It is quiet with a deep tone. The main thing I don't like about it (and 90%+ of all silencers out there) is that it does not allow for direct thread. I spoke with a company called AB Suppressors and they can make their Little Bird with the thread pitch for the FiveseveN, but it is a special run. I bet if we get enough people to ask about it, they might make one available that is direct thread. I have not heard it on a FiveseveN yet, but I have held one. They are very thin and light. It would be interesting to see how they perform. I might get my buddy to take me out and we can try it on mine.

https://absuppressor.com

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 12 Dec 2019, 13:25

Input added.

Yeah that is the issue with the small FsN barrels. The original Gemtec SFN-57 was one of the few that direct threaded.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Monroe82

Post by Monroe82 » 22 Sep 2020, 01:53

I am interested in the "few" if any that will direct thread on my efk 57 pitch?. Even the new gsl tech has adapter..