Forum Input for Suppressors

Forum for discussing NFA firearms and accessories such as suppressors, SBR and full-auto goodies.
panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Re: Forum Input for Cans

Post by panzermk2 » 29 Aug 2010, 23:36

I could not read the S and the pic has a golden hue. Still very nice.

I know about big dollar Colts LOL,

Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"
Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

bravo619
custom title: Concrete Jungle

Post by bravo619 » 09 Sep 2010, 14:15

yes you certainly do. those are a work of art! very nice my friend !

SpaceCoyote

Post by SpaceCoyote » 12 Sep 2010, 10:23

Great idea on this thread, too bad all it takes is one python picture & everyone gets sidetracked :)

I've got three suppressors that are usable with 5.7, unfortunately the only host I have is my AR57 until I get my PS90 back from Tornado Tech who is doing my SBR work for me:

1. Hearing Protection, LLC Checkmate - It's a full stainless .22 can which is rated for 5.7 use, their lighter aluminum model is not 5.7 rated. It's comparable in size and weight to the SWR Spectre.
2. AAC Ranger 2 - .223
3. SWR Trident - 9mm

I plan on making a full report with video as soon as I get my PS90 back. Until then all I can rate is the Checkmate on the AR57 which I would put at 2 on panzermk2's scale.

SpaceCoyote

Post by SpaceCoyote » 12 Sep 2010, 11:30

I worked up this spreadsheet and posted it on my friend's webspace, I'm not sure how to post html on the forum. I will continue to add to it when I get my PS90 back and as more people contribute to this thread.

http://www.viewoftexas.com/misc2/57suppdata.html

Also if y'all could let me know what weapon you are using when you rate that would help
Last edited by SpaceCoyote on 13 Sep 2010, 07:58, edited 1 time in total.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 12 Sep 2010, 22:26

They where using all of them.

EA tailors the load to each barrel length so sound generated should be pretty close to the same.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

SpaceCoyote

Post by SpaceCoyote » 13 Sep 2010, 07:29

Well excuuuuse me, I didn't realize the basis for comparison on this was custom "tailored" EA ammo.

All joking aside, my logic was that with a set load (ie factory ammo) the increased muzzle pressure from the shorter barrel of the FsN would result in a louder report than the p90 or ar57.

In layman's terms: If you shoot ss195 through the FsN it will be louder than the ar57 so a suppressor that rates 2 on an FsN might rate 3 on an ar57.

Either way I see your point regarding the EA, and it also makes for a much simpler, easier-to-read chart without so many columns. I thought the size & weight were good info for any forum members that were on the market for a can. I would have put price but can change and would require more updating. Any other info you would like to see on the chart?

Also I still didn't see anyone's rating for the aac m4 2k and the Liberty Constitution.
Forum Members Suppressor Ratings

bravo619

Post by bravo619 » 17 Sep 2010, 21:35

Very nice post panzermk2 very good info for those who are in the dark! and agreed on the info on them.

SpaceCoyote

Post by SpaceCoyote » 03 Oct 2010, 15:48

Finally got my ps90 sbr back (which I'm a bit disappointed nobody has commented on my slick texas themed duracoat job, see NFA Photo Thread). With that being said I got a chance to go out and do some suppressed shooting with my AAC Ranger 2 & SWR Trident 9mm.

Both cans worked great with factory ss197 & my subsonics (3gr hs6 under 55gr fmj). The AAC Ranger generated more blowback with the ss197 than the Trident which was not surprising due to the tighter bore. The Ranger is built more solid and durable and is shorter. The Trident is a bit longer but is lighter due to the aluminum construction.

I would rate both cans a 4 on panzer's scale. The Ranger seemed to be a bit quieter than the Trident with the ss197, but it was tough to tell. With the subsonics all that was audible was bolt slam with both cans.

The Ranger's solid construction is nice if you were jumping out of helicopter's for a living (or running around on 4-wheeler's varmint hunting). Conversely, I like using the Trident when shooting subsonics as the 9mm bore gives you more wiggle room if the bullet fails to stabilize.

I would highly recommend both cans, it just depends on if you want interchangeability with an AR15 or with a 9mm Pistol or subgun. Since I have AR's & 9mm's I went with both. It also works out well that either will work with the 5.7mm :D

bravo619

Post by bravo619 » 03 Oct 2010, 16:05

The reason no one commented on your ps90 is because you used Texas theme. lol BOOMER SOONER!

SpaceCoyote

Post by SpaceCoyote » 03 Oct 2010, 17:50

I didn't put a longhorn on it...

I knew what was coming after the UCLA loss... :furious:

Nightrunner

Post by Nightrunner » 19 Oct 2010, 12:20

MartinG wrote:There is a place that looks like it objectively evaluates cans. Here is the link below:

http://www.silencerresearch.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's freebies and a $30 subscription upgrade where the more recent reviews are done. He seems thorough.

HTH

MartinG

Hmmmmm,,He gets cans and ammo sent to him buy manufacturers to test and he charges for the info,,

NFAtalk is the exact mil-spec meters and testing procedure, BUT these are real people with dealer bought cans, not a one-off cans sent in for testing.

Plus it dismisses all the theories about "used" cans being louder than a new can.

Besides, we all donate our time, ammo, cans and weapons for the information database, and yes I spent a 9 hr day testing with Bill to contribute for the cause.

Oh yea, it is FREE info, same specs, actual real life production cans, many different flavors of ammo and weapons.

You decide, :thumb:

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 19 Oct 2010, 12:45

Updated.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

usmcronin

Post by usmcronin » 30 Jan 2011, 19:38

http://www.deltapdesign.com/suppressors ... suppressor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A friend on mine builds these, and another of my friend tested fired one on his PS-90 and was very impressed. Sorry no sound data was taken. It's on my wish list as well as one of his 7.62mm cans, but that's another story. I believe some reviews on the DP cans are on slicencertest.com.

From what I heard AAC dropped thier 5.7mm pistol can beaucse of a lack of interest, damn I was interested.... Went to purchase one and they said sorry out of production. Did they start back up on these or still a no-go from AAC? I think the biggest problem for AAC and the 5.7mm pistol was a study and high quality supply of threaded barrels.

Delta P is mainly focusing on the P/PS90 market rather then the pistol. I think since DP's cans tend to be short and fat that limited the ability on a pistol's sight use.

Byron from DP is more of the engineer type and not much of a marketing people person. Hopefully he'll get someone to do more marketing.

Some of the mini-cans coming out (SHOT 2011 had some new ones) should lend themselves quite easyily to the 5.7mm market.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 30 Jan 2011, 21:23

Nightrunner wrote: Hmmmmm,,He gets cans and ammo sent to him buy manufacturers to test and he charges for the info,,

NFAtalk is the exact mil-spec meters and testing procedure, BUT these are real people with dealer bought cans, not a one-off cans sent in for testing.

Plus it dismisses all the theories about "used" cans being louder than a new can.

Besides, we all donate our time, ammo, cans and weapons for the information database, and yes I spent a 9 hr day testing with Bill to contribute for the cause.

Oh yea, it is FREE info, same specs, actual real life production cans, many different flavors of ammo and weapons.

You decide, :thumb:
While I do like the free info on NFA talk, without doing all the shooting the same day, it is very hard to get accurate comparisons. Maj Malfunction is working on his own testing as well.

warlokk08

Post by warlokk08 » 22 Feb 2011, 11:28

I've tried the Gemtech, SWR Spectre, and the Advanced Armament M4-1000. All are great suppressors, but in my opinion the AAC is my favorite. I think Ops Inc. is coming out with a Five Seven can. If they do, you can bet it will be wicked.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 18 Mar 2011, 12:35

Cans that don't work
Knight M4 5.56 it may work great with M249 Machine guns and M4 but it's first set of baffles is to small causing a pressure spike with SS ammo popping the magazine out.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

msw

Post by msw » 16 Apr 2011, 10:44

Gemtech's G-5 with Bilock works great on a PS90 SBR. And the G5 is great on 5.56 NATO.

Gemtech's 5.7 pistol can is OK, with subsonic 5.7, but it's not as quiet as my AAC Evo9 with 9mm subsonic.

As someone who had an AAC 5.7 can and eventually received a refund from AAC so they could destroy the can....well, I guess that says it all. If AAC ever changes their mind and makes a 5.7 can as good as their Evo 9, I might be interested.

For me, it's not worth it to suppress this round in a handgun, as most .22 LR are much quieter.

Just my $0.02. YMMV.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 16 Apr 2011, 12:44

msw wrote:Gemtech's G-5 with Bilock works great on a PS90 SBR. And the G5 is great on 5.56 NATO.

Gemtech's 5.7 pistol can is OK, with subsonic 5.7, but it's not as quiet as my AAC Evo9 with 9mm subsonic.

As someone who had an AAC 5.7 can and eventually received a refund from AAC so they could destroy the can....well, I guess that says it all. If AAC ever changes their mind and makes a 5.7 can as good as their Evo 9, I might be interested.

For me, it's not worth it to suppress this round in a handgun, as most .22 LR are much quieter.

Just my $0.02. YMMV.

Thanks for the input, MSW. Great data point. I was aiming to later obtain a Gemtech 5.7 Can. I have heard the YHM can on the AR57 and was very impressed, and looked at the Gemtech 5.7. To hear that the Gemtech and AAC 5.7 can are both no go, that is disappointing... but I'm thankful for the early warning.

There really isn't an option for me now, as I only opted for the Gemtech 5.7 can for the portability and compactness. Regular cans are too large for me.
I do not deserve this life I have been given.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Please realize correlation =/= causation.
Plural opinions don't equate to truth.

I throw sub-MOA rocks.

Stop relying on others to do the work for you. Challenge the brainwashed.
Shoot more, worry less.
Use the search function.
Smile. Always. .' ]

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 16 Apr 2011, 13:16

blueorison wrote: There really isn't an option for me now, as I only opted for the Gemtech 5.7 can for the portability and compactness. Regular cans are too large for me.
Get a regular 22 can then. Liberty Kodiak, Silencer Co Sparrow, and SWR Spectre will all work fine. The new Surefire is supposed to work on the 5.7x28mm round as well. Plus they are all take apart so using them on a 22lr is no problem. I cant wait for Elite to put out their threaded stock sized barrel so I can use my Kodiak on it.

msw

Post by msw » 21 Apr 2011, 15:36

I roll my own subsonic. I had 200 rounds of Elite's "He who shall not be named" (am I even allowed to refer to Ryan?) ammo and there were so many misfires, malfs, FTF, etc. that after a box with 50% failures, I broke down the rest.

I did contact Jay & he offered to take 'em back, but I just didn't feel right hosing Elite/Jay for Ryan's bad work. My choice--Jay was 100% into making it right. Nothing against the current Elite--It's just quicker to make a 2.9gr 3N37 & 55gr FMJ myself--it's been a long winter--what better way to spend the time than reloading. Now the range is buried in mud--so I may just make more.

Esteves also sent me some factory FN subsonics--even they weren't what I hoped for in the pistol--but from the SBR with a Gemtech G5--Ooooh, Mama-san!