Just got a PS90, need help.

Forum for discussing NFA firearms and accessories such as suppressors, SBR and full-auto goodies.
HansTheHobbit

Just got a PS90, need help.

Post by HansTheHobbit » 22 Aug 2015, 14:53

I just got a PS90 sort of by accident, and I'm considering SBRing it and using it as a dedicated house gun. I'm thinking that in the end, with the appropriate ammo, I can get the terminal performance of the average 9mm HP with less chance of going through walls.

My problem is I'm getting a lot of conflicting information on ammo. I'm seeing gel tests that look identical to 9mm HPs, some that look like .223 on a smaller scale, and some that look like .22 magnum at best. I've pretty much gathered that the FN ammo is underpowered, so it looks like my only option is EA, but I'm not sure which one I should go with. I'm wanting something that will penetrate approximately 12'', or at least be in that ballpark, with a permanent cavity around 2''. I would be a very happy camper if I could find something that would produce that kind of result out of a ten inch barrel.

Next question. Regarding the SBR, should I use a CMMG barrel, or should I send off the factory one and have it chopped? I'm considering buying one of those Thompson Machine billet receivers and registering it, then using a CMMG barrel to build it out. That way I won't have to modify the factory receiver group. Does anyone know if Thompson Machine is still making those? And if not, is anyone else producing billet P90 receivers? I heard somewhere that there were two different people making aftermarket P90 receivers, but I can only find info on the one.

Thanks! :D

Kiran04

Re: Just got a PS90, need help.

Post by Kiran04 » 22 May 2016, 19:07

SS197SR penetrates just fine into ballistics gel. There are videos online on youtube that prove that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzGDVLPoYxI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Expansion may not be great because the 40 grain vmax isn't designed for the slower velocities, but given that the round yaws even in the vmax version, the wound tracks are still impressive. What else could you ask for?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 23 May 2016, 10:28

Here is a good idea of how the 40gr Ballistic tip bullets perform when I load them.

Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 23 May 2016, 10:33

Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

blizzardscout2
Platinum Member

Post by blizzardscout2 » 22 Jun 2016, 14:34

I dont believe the Thompson ones are being made currently, however this is another option that I think is similar and very cool.

http://www.imperialarmsco.com/product-p/10-0001.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;