5.7 suppression

Forum for discussing NFA firearms and accessories such as suppressors, SBR and full-auto goodies.
prairiefire

5.7 suppression

Post by prairiefire » 05 Jul 2013, 18:57

For those of you who have shot a 5.7 suppressed - how well did that work? If the round isn't subsonic will suppression create enough sound reduction to warrant the cost? Curious here....

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Re: 5.7 suppression

Post by Rapier1772 » 05 Jul 2013, 19:07

I still recommend hearing protection whether using subsonic rounds or not. The suppressor will reduce the muzzle blast but there is still noise. For mine, I had a Gemtech SFN-57, it sounded about like a paintball gun when using subsonic loads.
When I used SS197SR or standard power reloads, there is still the crack of the bullet breaking the sound barrier. Again, the muzzle blast is greatly reduced but that crack is actually kind of loud.
Plus, with the suppressor on & standard (or factory) loads - it would occasionally cause feed jams, something to do with the way the pressure was being effected I guess.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

Jim300

I had a silencer user describe it on another forum.

Post by Jim300 » 22 Sep 2013, 05:37

I had a silencer user describe it on another forum. He has several weapons and silencers so they are not new to him. As you said, the crack is going to be there due to supersonic bullet. He said it made it sound more like a silenced .22 that was also supersonic. Considering the large muzzle blast of the 5.7, it would be really cool. He said it is one of his favorite to shoot this way, and he has many to choose from.

I know this is second hand information, but I trust this guy on about anything as he is VERY knowledgeable, far above anyone I have known on many many forums.

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon

Post by jgreenberg01 » 22 Sep 2013, 08:02

It is hearing-safe IMHO, but I still wear protection. My ears have this constant, pesky ringing from all the shooting I do, and anything I can do to make sure it doesn't get worse... I do.

Having said that, a suppressor makes a world of difference with the FsN. I know it's hard to tell on video because camcorder mics are not designed to accurately pick up very fast sounds, but this kind of gives an idea:

0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 16 Jan 2014, 04:51

I was looking at a suppressor for the FsN the other day & the guy tried to talk me into one built for a 9mm, said it would work.
I have no doubt that it would help reduce the noise but shouldn't the suppressor caliber be as close to the bullet caliber as possible to minimize gas escaping around the bullet?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 16 Jan 2014, 13:32

Rapier1772 wrote:I was looking at a suppressor for the FsN the other day & the guy tried to talk me into one built for a 9mm, said it would work.
I have no doubt that it would help reduce the noise but shouldn't the suppressor caliber be as close to the bullet caliber as possible to minimize gas escaping around the bullet?

Yep 9mm one won't do Schmidt to reduce sound.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 16 Jan 2014, 14:45

That's kinda what I thought, thanks.

kismetcapitan

Post by kismetcapitan » 21 Jan 2014, 09:43

I hate the fact that suppressors are NFA items. It was added to put them out of the hands of poachers, not for any particular public safety benefit.

For those who depend on their hearing for their livelihoods, suppressors are a much needed accessory to preserve hearing. Once you damage your hearing, it never comes back.

But there is a caveat to their use; suppressing a firearm works best when you go subsonic - the crack of a bullet breaking the sound barrier is substantial. If you're suppressing a .45ACP, this isn't a big deal. Even .22LR rounds are fine subsonic. But 5.7x28mm ballistics, and the nature of the round itself, depends greatly on the high velocity of the bullet. Using subsonic 5.7x28mm rounds for self-defense takes away a lot of the power of the round.

My thought is that practicing with subsonic rounds (suppressed) would be of limited benefit to mastering the FsN because the ballistics would be different compared to standard loads. So getting as quiet as possible is of limited utility...unless you're a CIA assassin. But any reduction is better than none, even with hearing protection. I'd run standard SS197 with a suppressor if I ever can be bothered to jump through the hoops to get one. And the suppressor would definitely have to be specific to the 5.7x28mm round.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 21 Jan 2014, 13:10

The cans rated for larger calibers should help with sound suppression, granted not as well as a properly sized can though.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 21 Jan 2014, 13:33

kismetcapitan wrote:Using subsonic 5.7x28mm rounds for self-defense takes away a lot of the power of the round.
Very true, I shot some computer equipment with some subs I was testing. They couldn't penetrate where the full power loads went right through.
kismetcapitan wrote:I'd run standard SS197 with a suppressor if I ever can be bothered to jump through the hoops to get one.
Not sure that would work. I had a Gemtech SFN-57 and 197s would not function reliably with the suppressor, I would get frequent feed jams. Properly loaded subsonics would function fine though.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 21 Jan 2014, 16:06

But yet a subsonic 5.7 load (factory SB193) will pass through IIIA, but SS197 won't go through II :)

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 21 Jan 2014, 21:33

A major part of that is bullet design. 193 is FMJ whereas the 197 is a varmint round, varmint rounds are specifically designed to not over penetrate.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 22 Jan 2014, 07:22

^^ Mine was just simply stating that not to discount the round because it's sub sonic. :)

HecklerGuy

Post by HecklerGuy » 23 Feb 2014, 17:15

Operator recieves a signifigant recoil reduction and sound suppression is great. The crack downrange is only really heard by the poor SOB on the business end.

But with the light recoil of this round you only increase that factor with a suppressor. SS193 rounds are much quieter than 9mm. EA rounds keyhole alot in my experience so choose wisely, but in any case its a must have on a 5.7

gr8ful

Post by gr8ful » 28 Aug 2015, 16:42

I really appreciate the time and effort in organizing the video above. I am able to shoot because of the suppressor as I want to get along with my neighbors. But I am finding reliability problems.

It seems the suppressor really cranks the gases and the carbon into the action.

SS197SR is jamming a lot and Federal Ammunition is a joke, a very bad joke. It's dirty and lacks power.

I have been fighting everything including myself getting the system to work but find the lack of ear hammering so relaxing that I am not using any ear protection.

I surmise thus far that one can only shoot so many rounds before cleaning is necessary when suppressed.

I am somewhat fearful of relying upon the threaded barrel and have to get to a place where I can shoot without the suppressor to assure the reliability of the system.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 28 Aug 2015, 18:46

I'll weigh in here as I've got three cans and an FsN. First, although I've not tried it since I don't have a spacer, I'm sure my Tirant 9 would knock a considerable amount of sound down if I put it on my FsN. Plenty of people use cans that are too large in the bore for whatever they're playing with, and although not ideal, it still helps. The FsN meters at 160db, same as a 7mm Mag (different tone) so anything is bound to help.

As for the question as to whether or not it's worth it? Just get a stainless can that can be disassembled, and it'll pull double duty on all your 22s.

Sub vs super: My Tirant shooting subs is pretty quiet, no problem having a conversation while shooting. Shooting supers, the sonic crack hurts my ears. It's not only loud to the person down range, it travels at the speed of sound and bounces off of everything, including the ground and yourself.

My Leonidas shooting subs is even quieter, you only hear the bolt run. There is also zero flight noise, unlike the 9mm subs which you can hear travel downrange if you shoot them far enough. Shooting supers through it, similar volume to the Tirant, and you can hear the bullet crackling off everything on it's way to the 200yd line. It's a bit painful.

I've not shot subs through my FsN, haven't worked any up yet, but 197s are reduced in volume to between 9mm subs and supers through the Tirant. While the larger .355 and .308 bullets make a serious crack on firing, and continue to make loud noises all the way down, 197s through my Axiom make more of a sonic sizzling noise. I'd say of day of listening to it would leave you with a good rung ear, but I fired a magazine and my ears weren't ringing any more than normal (which I'll admit is a lot).

All in all, even though the barrel cost more than the can, I'm glad I'm suppressed with the FsN. If it was reliable as my M&P, I'd consider it becoming my bedside pistol, but it isn't, so it's a range toy.

gr8ful

Post by gr8ful » 31 Aug 2015, 08:38

It appears my springs may be the problem.

My main spring is the heavier 20 and my mag springs are heavier as well. I am thinking of going back to an 18 pound spring on my treaded barrel and on one of my two factory barrels. And I am thinking I may need to set a few mags on stock springs so the timing works for SS197SR.

When it comes to carry for self defense, the can becomes impractical and I want all the power possible, so having the stock barrel with the heavier yet broken in main spring seems best. Besides, I would just as soon let the full report of 160 dB ring as well since it is a different and authoritative sound that should make anyone on the receiving end anxious.

I am thinking that I may have a couple of barrels, including the threaded barrel, set up for SS197SR. I find I enjoy shooting these lighter factory rounds and they are quite effective.

I am starting to see why FN has not optimized the Five-seven platform. There really is a tremendous difference between shooting EA's ammo verses FN factory.

galexander

Post by galexander » 29 Sep 2015, 08:44

Can anyone here speak to the possibility that a larger volume suppressor like the Sig 5.56 (9.8oz, 6.4x1.7) would help with back pressure issues. My only suppressor experience with a suppressor so far has been with a larger bore AR. I found a gas busting charging handle and a very large suppressor to help keep crap out of my face. I am about to the point of ordering a suppressor for my Five Seven mostly for its role as a nightstand gun. I have a reflex sight that would see above a suppressor even as fat as the Sig. Does this make any sense?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 29 Sep 2015, 10:12

More often then not a larger chamber/ larger first chamber will create issues. It will keep the chamber pressures high when the case is extracted causing jamming issues.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

galexander

Post by galexander » 29 Sep 2015, 10:57

Thanks, Jay. Does the Gemtech's having been designed (and thus volume tuned) for the Five Seven result in it being measurably more reliable than the 5.7 rated rimfire cans?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 29 Sep 2015, 13:07

YES, in fact it's the number one I recommend. Almost ALL of our testing is done with one.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 29 Sep 2015, 17:43

I'll put my Axiom up against the Gemtech in any category.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 29 Sep 2015, 20:15

DoubleJ wrote:I'll put my Axiom up against the Gemtech in any category.
Gemtech is lighter and balances better. I know only by an ounce but that adds up at the end of the barrel.

Have you done a side buy side test using the exact same gun and ammo?
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

galexander

Post by galexander » 30 Sep 2015, 16:39

The Gemtech seems to be unavailable right now. One dealer told me Gemtech had a problem with one of their production machines and another told me Gemtech was making changes and that the can would likely to cost more when it was available again in 3 or 4 months. I find it irritating that Gemtech (and to a lesser extent their distributors) make no mention of this on their website. It is like all is well until a day or so after you try to order one. Have folks here had reliability issues with the Spectre or Axiom? I am not interested in subsonic shooting only in not having my ears bleed if I ever use it for home defense.

**I was misinformed. It is available but short supply. Gemtech told me they only do one manufacturing run for it each year. It sure is more expensive than the 5.7 rated rimfire cans but I ordered one anyway.
Last edited by galexander on 10 Oct 2015, 12:34, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 30 Sep 2015, 17:39

No trouble with my Axiom/FsN combo that isn't there when the can is off. Hoping it's just a break in issue with the new threaded barrel.

If anyone has the Gemtech around Denver, I'm up for a showdown. After that we'll put them both on my 22/45 and see how that goes.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 16 May 2016, 11:22

Anyone have more info on the EliteIron Echo suppressors?I did a search on here but only found one reference to it, I was hoping for more input. They're made of steel instead of aluminum so they're heavier than Gemtechs (~2x) , they're also smaller in physical size. Does anyone know for certain if they are they as quiet or close to Gemtechs?
Gem-Tech's & Elite Iron's website do cite dB reduction ratings
GT: 32 dB
EI: 33/37 dB (high velocity/subsonic)
So it would seem they're a little better :ponder:

Other things to ponder:
EI can also be disassembled, GT cannot.
GT can be used on both FsN & PS90, EI cannot.

Toynut

Post by Toynut » 04 Jan 2018, 19:53

I realize that I am jumping in to this thread a year and a half late, but I have a question based on my recent experience with my SBR’d PS90. I installed a couple of different SilencerCo suppressors on my rifle and found one that balanced suppression with size and handling qualities. I went to the range with standard velocity ammo and started to have failure to feed issues about 35-40 rounds into the magazines. It would not fully chamber and required me to cycle the bolt to fire 3-5 shots without a hang up. The rifle shot decent groups throughout the 100-150 total rounds I shot in the session. I field stripped the rifle when I returned to my gun room and was absolutely amazed at the amount of crud ( mostly soot) and carbon in the gun, as well as the magazines ( mostly around the rollers and feed lips). The PS90 is normally a squeaky clean (relatively) shooter that requires barely a wipe and quick bore clean between sessions. I had loose carbon falling out of the chamber and soot all the way back to the hammer pack. I have over a dozen and a half suppressors of various makes and models and caliber sizes and have rarely seen this kind of fouling in a firearm before (my sbr’d suppressed Sig MPX also ran pretty dirty). I am curious if others are experiencing this level of contamination in their rifles. Is there one particular suppressor or ammunition combo that seems to be the ticket to reduce fouling more than others?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 05 Jan 2018, 09:15

You are getting blowback.
The case is being ejected to soon.
What ammo where you using?
Try it with some Sub Sonic ammo for the P90/SBR PS90. FYI the P90/PS90 will get dirtier when firing through a can.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Toynut

Post by Toynut » 03 Feb 2018, 04:35

Finally able to log back in to reply.
I was shooting factory 197s.
I was wondering if changing the springs to your heavy duty versions would do the trick, as I know no other way, short of loading tuning specifically for suppressor applications that would improve the situation? Another thought would be to consider a larger suppressor body such as a full size 5.56 version or a 30 caliber can in a worst case scenario to reduce the back pressure ( at a trade off of some noise suppression).

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 05 Feb 2018, 12:08

Some 5.56 create issues because the initial chamber/baffle is to big. The large baffle keeps the chamber pressure HI so that when the case is extracted pressure is to hi and you get jamming and mag popping.

In about 4 weeks we will have back in stock our HD rate reducer.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

grimmond
Gold Member

Post by grimmond » 06 Feb 2018, 13:18

panzermk2 wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 12:08
Some 5.56 create issues because the initial chamber/baffle is to big. The large baffle keeps the chamber pressure HI so that when the case is extracted pressure is to hi and you get jamming and mag popping
As Trump says, "fake news". You need to go back to the book on silencer design and technology. For starters the only way your explanation could even come close to the truth would be if he was using a suppressor with a small initial chamber which would create high amounts of back pressure. Even then his ps90 should be cycling faster not slower. Also it would not be failing to fully eject and cycle the next round. A 5.56 rated suppressor is designed to handle the extremely large and longer pressure of 5.56.. A 5.7 does not come close to that and it would create less pressure not more which in turn could have caused his lack of full cycling issues. Adding your rate reducer would help with keeping the bolt closed longer and reduce the amount of blow back but then he would have to manually cycle each round depending on the suppressors initial blast chamber size.
"Let us never forget that good intelligence saves American lives and protects our freedom."
-Ronald Reagan

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 06 Feb 2018, 14:56

I mean to small, see this post.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8215

Cans that don't work
Knight M4 5.56 it may work great with M249 Machine guns and M4 but it's first set of baffles is to small causing a pressure spike with SS ammo popping the magazine out.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 06 Feb 2018, 14:57

Ether way the 5.7 has a pressure curve can cause issues even with a larger baffles.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

danbrew

Post by danbrew » 09 Aug 2018, 20:57

I know this is an old thread... but it needs an update. Can you shoot just any old can on any old gun? Shoot a 5.7 through a 9mm can? The bullets are smaller in diameter, right? Ahhhh... not so fast. What about pressure? You risk blowing up your can/gun/face if you mismatch cans and cartridges.

I'd never ever shoot a can designed for one round with another unless the manufacturer of the can says that your can is rated for the round.

fwiw.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 11 Aug 2018, 18:27

^ Yep :D