Removing the mag "safety"?

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

Vudoo

Re: Removing the mag "safety"?

Post by Vudoo » 14 Apr 2011, 20:31

Hi I'm new on the forum.
This was the first thing I did when I got this gun. I moved the bar from between the pillar like on ynoty3k's pics. Then I removed the pin above the trigger and completely removed the mag disconnect bar. Replace the pin and your set! No problem after 1000 rounds with anything. The trigger feels a lot better IMHO.

Adjuster

Post by Adjuster » 30 Apr 2011, 17:41

I removed it because none of my pistols have a mag safety.

It was extra effort to seat a loaded magazine, and I'd read that the stock trigger feel was improved by it's removal.

Call me crazy, but I don't carry all the time, and when I do, I carry with an empty chamber, and full mag.

Just train to always draw, work the slide, and fire on the target.

I did carry cocked and locked for awhile, but it was always a nagging reminder that the pistol was only a safety click away from going off. Anyone would be able to drop the safety and shoot the pistol. Not everyone would think to work the slide and chamber a round before trying to shoot the pistol.

The .5 second I lose to work the slide is worth the peace of mind knowing my pistols can not just go off by pulling the trigger. (Especially on the Glock/Striker fired weapons with trigger safeties.)

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 30 Apr 2011, 20:03

Adjuster wrote:I removed it because none of my pistols have a mag safety.

It was extra effort to seat a loaded magazine, and I'd read that the stock trigger feel was improved by it's removal.

Call me crazy, but I don't carry all the time, and when I do, I carry with an empty chamber, and full mag.

Just train to always draw, work the slide, and fire on the target.

I did carry cocked and locked for awhile, but it was always a nagging reminder that the pistol was only a safety click away from going off. Anyone would be able to drop the safety and shoot the pistol. Not everyone would think to work the slide and chamber a round before trying to shoot the pistol.

The .5 second I lose to work the slide is worth the peace of mind knowing my pistols can not just go off by pulling the trigger. (Especially on the Glock/Striker fired weapons with trigger safeties.)
Don't agree with you, but I very much appreciate your reasoning. Solid post and thanks for sharing. You're on the money; it would only take .5 seconds when done correctly, to chamber that round. That is if you have both hands...and conditions were pretty much perfect... :) :thumb:
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Adjuster

Post by Adjuster » 30 Apr 2011, 23:54

On my PT99, with the manual safety that also locked the slide in place, and the ability to carry "half cocked" with the hammer off the pin, but not fully back, so you had to pull the trigger more than you do single action, but not a full DA pull, I carried locked and loaded on that pistol. (And do still when I use it.)

With the striker type, where you have a round in the chamber, and the striker is held back ready to fire by the sear, and the pin safety plunger, it bugged me to not have a manual safety, and way to keep the hammer/striker locked in place. (Yes, I understand the pin can't move unless the plunger is depressed by the trigger bar, same with my M&P9, and most striker fired weapons.)

ON the FSN, It's cocked and locked with an internal hammer, again pin safety plunger and the manual safety.

I get it that the round can not be fired unless I pull the trigger, after I move the safety. (Just like the PT99 other than the DA ability.)

Perhaps I will revise my carry routine with this FSN, and the PT99 v/s the striker fired pistols I have. I also see now that S&W is offering the M&P9 with a manual safety. (I would have gone that route if it was possible when I purchased that pistol.)

Just curious, but how many of you guys carry with 21 in the gun? And does anyone else carry with an empty chamber on their striker fired weapons where the only "safety" is the trigger design?

It's how Plexico and many others who use trigger safety, striker fired weapons have shot themselves over the years. Touch the trigger, and you get shot, as there is no manual safety to catch the error when there is a round in the chamber.

I think one more factor is "Glock" style actions where people have done trigger work, yet still carry the weapon. I have done the full trigger job to my M&P, and it's no longer gritty, or heavy, but it's nearly too light for carry. The trigger is about 4lbs now, and very short, nearly no take up, and reset is short, so you can double tap the pistol very easy, at will on target. (More recoil than the FSN, but it's a 9mm, so not like trying to stay on target with a .45.) As I have it setup, I'm comfortable at the range, but not really for carry, so I leave the chamber empty on that pistol when I carry.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 01 May 2011, 01:23

This carry issue has been covered many times.

Do what is best for you, and what works for you. It's your life and your choice to carry.

Glocks don't have safeties. That little protrusion of the trigger is not a safety at all. If anything contacts it and pulls on the trigger it will go off. I have no clue why they thought such a system as the "Glock trigger" would pass as the primary mechanical safety, although it did. Glock triggers have been documented before and recently to have been easily defeated when accidentally contacted by clothing or holsters, causing actual accidental discharges. AD's are a very rare occurrence, as usually only ND's occur because of idiots.

There are 1st hand articles written all over the web by their owners and the recipients of rounds through legs, arms, and feet because of ND's from Glocks and glock-type trigger safeties. The most recent one I have read was that of it contacting the flexible leather holster. The owner was not hurt.

With the FsN you have a very accessible and rapid safety selector. You can carry with the safety on and hammer cocked, round chambered.

There is no issue here, so there really shouldn't be a discussion on whether it is unsafe or not. Just like 1911's, the FsN can be carried cocked and locked.

LE carries with a live chamber. This is just an unrelated factoid. If I am carrying I will carry cocked and locked for SA.

Applying my knowledge of the FsN, it is important to remember:

1. Time rules all in a reactive SD situation. Accuracy is not relevant if you're already dead.
2. Slide spring is heavy. If you only have one arm free, do not count on racking it on your belt or table quickly enough.
3. Compare the length of slide pull from the FsN vs. a 9mm or .45, then relate the time difference.
4. Add the time it takes to rack the slide and chamber the round
5. Add the time it takes to disengage the safety
6. Add the relative complexity of both tasks and your ability to complete both and then acquire a rapid sight picture and engage the target
7. Realize reality and old school thinking do not always align with each other
8. Practice point shooting from holster, and realize your prep time, draw time, and add it to the times above
9. Practice more, you will never be prepared enough.
10. Practice speed and accuracy balance drills for when you actually have time in an SD situation to align your sights

My first shot from a concealable holster is less than one second at 25 feet on a 11 inch steel target repeatedly. I would go for something around one second; by 1.5 you are dead in a worst case scenario. You will want to practice as this distance, such that your ability will be effective at closer distances. Train for 300%. Not 100%, not 150%, not 200%. In the actual situation your ability will drop drastically.

If you train at the distance and size of target you think you'll be defending against, forget surviving. The distance of 25 feet and hits on the 11 inch COM target gives me effective ability on a 10 foot distance, man-sized target in an actual SD scenario when adrenaline and biology takes over.

Lastly, you can carry your manly big bore gun all you want, but if it's too heavy and you have no skill to take out the threat, all that self-assurance of your masculine caliber won't survive in the real world, and neither will you. Gun-store and weekend range talk is big when no one is shooting at you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Adjuster

Post by Adjuster » 02 May 2011, 22:14

With the manual safety on my PT99, I did carry 1/2 cocked, and locked. (Can pull the hammer back off the pin, and it locks there, so your first pull is a slightly shorter DA, then SA for the rest of the magazine.)

With the M&P9, like the Glocks, it is a striker fired weapon, and as you note, if you pull the trigger, it goes bang. If you do a trigger job, it goes bang smoother, and often with less force needed.

Thus my choice with that weapon to carry with an empty chamber.

Now with the FSN, I'm considering my options, and I like that it has a manual safety. I feel fine with a loaded weapon, with a safety that prevents pulling the trigger, and even better, will not let the pin move untill the trigger is pulled.

The new M&P's with the manual safety tick me off, since it was not offered when I bought mine a few years back. Trading up to that is expensive, but I can cut off the right side, and still use my Crimson Trace grip on the pistol. More likely, I'm going to just carry the FSN from now on, it's lighter, has more ammo in it with a single mag, and like the 9mm, the recoil is very easy to control, so shooting multiple times is a reality.

I like this discussion, and sorry about it being something you guys have gone over before, but I appreciate the views, and the advice.

andywest

Post by andywest » 11 May 2011, 15:25

Esteves wrote:This is a comprehensive write-up:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/show ... stcount=49" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It takes longer to read it than it does to do it.

We probably ought to make this an FAQ. :)
This guide is really good, but in following it I bent the green "tension bar" inward into the frame. I had my local gunsmith remove the bar altogether after that, since I decided to stop digging my grave :) Again, this guide is great just be delicate when bending the tension bar.

Pilot81x

Post by Pilot81x » 24 May 2011, 10:54

Only recently bought my Five-seveN and I already like it. I just used the link to disable the mag safety, it was the only feature that I wasn't crazy about, and it worked perfectly. I'm not real sure what some of the older posts were talking about the new positioning causing more friction and a different feel to the trigger, it does feel different whether the bar is in its proper place or the modified one with the slide off, once you reassemble the weapon there is added friction in either configurations (I tried both repeatedly after reading some complaints and paranoia of damaging my brand new and fairly expensive gun. Thanks for helping me correct the fault I had with this weapon system.

FNForever

Post by FNForever » 03 Oct 2011, 12:32

What is the difference in the trigger feel with the disconnect removed? Does it reduce pull weight?

Wenzel

Post by Wenzel » 07 Nov 2011, 23:51

If you are wanting your gun to shoot with out a mag in place, it's an easy fix.
Remove the rear site from right to left, take the plunger and spring out of the left side, reinstall the rear sight and you are done.
Be sure that you remove the parts from the left side, the similar parts on the right side are part of the firing pin safety system and you want to leave them in place. Be warned that the rear sight is going to be in there fairly tight, so use a sight pusher if you can.
Do not remove anything from the frame itself, ie: disconnector!
If you have access to a parts diagram familiarize yourself with the parts mentioned before you begin, simple job.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 08 Nov 2011, 01:09

I would not recommend this in anyway. Removing the firing pin block is very unsafe.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 08 Nov 2011, 19:11

panzermk2 wrote:I would not recommend this in anyway. Removing the firing pin block is very unsafe.
I concur.

rosie

Post by rosie » 13 Nov 2011, 07:32

So I am a newbie. So I may not be as good at this "gun stuff" as many of you. I have recently been practicing with my new 57 and have cleaned it several times. I would like to know EXACTLY WHAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH LEAVING THE FIREARM ALONE AND THE WAY IT CAME WITH THE MAG SAFETY? I have not found any creditable reason, at least for me loading, firing and cleaning the weapon, to fool with a factory firearm and maybe voiding a warranty. Just asking and interested in a creditable reason that I can say something like "OK that makes sense--I never thought of that"

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 13 Nov 2011, 13:11

satellitedr3ams wrote:Rosie, there is no problem with leaving it alone... but I would like to know EXACTLY WHAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH REMOVING THE MAG SAFETY, AND WHY SHOULD I LEAVE IT ALONE?
I hit the "like" button.
Shoot more, worry less.

rosie

Post by rosie » 14 Nov 2011, 04:20

I always appreciated the fact that if I did not know the reason for something, asking the question will give you an answer. I can remember many times when I would ask about something and was surprised by the number of people who were happy I asked the question because they were too timid or scared to ask. My question, particularly lwith respect to the last two replies, still has no answer but returns my question with wasted space and time. I am sorry if my capitalizing my question has caused some angst but that was not my purpose--I genuinely wanted to know the reason. My assumption is that it is more a "convenience thing" wherein the mechanics of the firearm cannot be fully tested without an inserted magazine and, if your magazines have ammunition in them, you must unload a mag and insert same in firearm if you want to test out the mechanics of the firearm. If that is all there is to this, fine. Just asking and was not expecting a silly retort to my question.

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon

Post by jgreenberg01 » 14 Nov 2011, 04:54

Benefits to removing the mag safety:

A) It lightens up the trigger pull a little.

B) You can still shoot a bad guy if your mag drops for any reason and you have one in the pipe.

C) It's easily reversible. If you're concerned about it becoming a warranty issue, return it to the original position before sending the gun to FN for repair.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with leaving the mag release safety in place. File this under the "whatever floats your boat" category.

Hopefully that answers the question. :)
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

rosie

Post by rosie » 14 Nov 2011, 10:25

Thank you jgreenberg for your reply. That is all I wanted to know without all the garbage that preceded it.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 14 Nov 2011, 10:31

The biggest failure I see at combat style matches and this goes way back to my IPSC/IDPA days in the late 80's early 90's is magazines NOT seated all the way and or coming loose while the gun was being fired.

Normally not an issue with 1911's but as I saw in IDPA more stock carry guns. A great number of these where Hi Powers and S&W autos. These auto's have mag safeties also. Many times shooters came to an instant halt when their guns stopped firing. Sometimes the mag would not drop out all the way so there where seconds wasted by the shooter fumbling around to figure out why his gun stopped going bang.

The more time I spend shooting the more intolerant of mag safeties I have become.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 14 Nov 2011, 21:33

rosie wrote:Thank you jgreenberg for your reply. That is all I wanted to know without all the garbage that preceded it.
Thank you for putting up with them. :)

cgilbert

Post by cgilbert » 11 Dec 2011, 07:23

Been shooting Glocks for a long time, just bought FsN, shot it at the range for the first time this past week. I had been wondering why no trigger pull without mag inserted. I like to practice dry fire. Found this thread and just made the change.

Great forum!

gryphon

Post by gryphon » 12 Dec 2011, 23:47

I performed this mod to my new Five-seveN tonight. Thanks!

KaosOveride

Post by KaosOveride » 22 Mar 2012, 12:08

I also just performed this change to my FsN. I followed the guide and just moved the mag safety above the block opting not to remove it all the way.
I did notice that my magazine goes in easier, but seems to have some wobble or play at the bottom of it.. almost like it was not seated all the way.. Anyone else experience this

DrlSgt

Post by DrlSgt » 16 Nov 2012, 08:51

Just bought my new FiveseveN a couple days ago and LOVE IT! Came across this post on this forum. Performed the mod and POOF! Works like a charm! Thank you all!

DrlSgt

Post by DrlSgt » 16 Nov 2012, 12:42

KaosOveride wrote:I also just performed this change to my FsN. I followed the guide and just moved the mag safety above the block opting not to remove it all the way.
I did notice that my magazine goes in easier, but seems to have some wobble or play at the bottom of it.. almost like it was not seated all the way.. Anyone else experience this
Scared me because I JUST made this change to my new FiveseveN! So I went back and checked it out and I'm happy to report, that mine is a snug fit with no play when the mag is installed :) Hope your issue gets resolved with your FN...

Jeffbethandkidz

Post by Jeffbethandkidz » 02 Apr 2013, 00:52

Completely removed the pin from mine...anyone else done this with any problems? Buffman?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 02 Apr 2013, 19:30

Jeffbethandkidz wrote:Completely removed the pin from mine...anyone else done this with any problems? Buffman?

Pin?????
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Jeffbethandkidz

Post by Jeffbethandkidz » 04 Apr 2013, 16:29

I'm sorry, I ment the magazine safety bar. I completely removed mine instead of flexing it up like shown in this thread. i am wondering if anyone else has removed theirs and if they have experienced any negative side effects.

WarMachine

Post by WarMachine » 05 Jun 2013, 06:12

Ok so I read through this whole thread on disabling the mag safety. I thought maybe performing the mod had some value, so I pulled out my brand new never fired 5.7 that cost me $1350.00 with tax. It was more difficult to get the bar away from the plastic to move it up than anticipated, but I finally got it. I reassembled the gun and yep the mag had a little more wobble at the bottom than it did before, not a big deal. The magazine must get tension from that bar when in the factory position causing the mag to "wedge" in. I did not notice any difference in the trigger pull as others had stated. Not sure why there would be a trigger pull difference since the magazine pushes the bar up taking tension off the trigger piece. I decided to move the bar back to the factory position because it is another safety feature that may save me from a bad mistake. What I did notice from this exersize was that I had no lube on the surfaces that make contact for that component. Overall observation was that this mod really only achieves disabling the mag safety and doesn't have any other benefits for ME. :ponder: :ponder: :D
ps. I really hope this gun and round performs like others have said because $1350. is a LOT for this mostly plastic gun :)

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 05 Jun 2013, 15:27

Just to clarify, you disabled the mag safety by moving it instead of actually removing it?

I am not a gunsmith but IF that is the case, then I would suggest that is why you didn't feel any difference. But that's just my uneducated opinion :?:
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

WarMachine

Post by WarMachine » 05 Jun 2013, 19:15

You are correct Rapier. I just moved the bar up like the instructions identified. Good point. if it was removed that may relieve some drag that is happening towards the front of the gun where the piece is pinned in. I just need to get out and shoot it before I get to carried away!!!

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 05 Jun 2013, 20:38

WarMachine wrote:Ok so I read through this whole thread on disabling the mag safety. I thought maybe performing the mod had some value, so I pulled out my brand new never fired 5.7 that cost me $1350.00 with tax. It was more difficult to get the bar away from the plastic to move it up than anticipated, but I finally got it. I reassembled the gun and yep the mag had a little more wobble at the bottom than it did before, not a big deal. The magazine must get tension from that bar when in the factory position causing the mag to "wedge" in. I did not notice any difference in the trigger pull as others had stated. Not sure why there would be a trigger pull difference since the magazine pushes the bar up taking tension off the trigger piece. I decided to move the bar back to the factory position because it is another safety feature that may save me from a bad mistake. What I did notice from this exersize was that I had no lube on the surfaces that make contact for that component. Overall observation was that this mod really only achieves disabling the mag safety and doesn't have any other benefits for ME. :ponder: :ponder: :D
ps. I really hope this gun and round performs like others have said because $1350. is a LOT for this mostly plastic gun :)

You might want to watch this video.

Elite Ammunition FsN Accurizing, Product Overview and Coffee Chat
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

WarMachine

Post by WarMachine » 06 Jun 2013, 03:52

OK that video confirmed the "mag tension" observation and he stated they are able to get a 3lbs trigger pull with the mag safety in place. What I don't get from the video is, why every gun he was handling had the mag safety disabled... http://www.fivesevenforum.com/posting.p ... =15&t=5972" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;#

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 06 Jun 2013, 12:28

WarMachine wrote:OK that video confirmed the "mag tension" observation and he stated they are able to get a 3lbs trigger pull with the mag safety in place. What I don't get from the video is, why every gun he was handling had the mag safety disabled... http://www.fivesevenforum.com/posting.p ... =15&t=5972" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;#
Because I think they are stupid. One of the number one reasons firearms fail in matches and on the street is the fact the that the magazine has not been seated all the way or the button has been bumped into. The mag may drop out but at least the gun will go bang one time instead of nothing happening will a BG kills you.

Magazine disconnects like that are a European thing and are very popular over there.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

bobapunk
Gold Member
custom title: EA's range buddy

Post by bobapunk » 06 Jun 2013, 13:19

Shooting any type of match is a royal pain in the rear end if your gun has a mag safety for 2 reasons: A- mag safeties rub on the mag and can cause the mag to NOT drop free. This creates wasted time striping the mag on reloads; and B- "If you are done, show clear. Gun is clear, hammer down and holster" is a ROYAL pain if you have to insert a mag, drop the hammer, eject mag, and then holster...

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 06 Jun 2013, 13:57

bobapunk wrote:B- "If you are done, show clear. Gun is clear, hammer down and holster" is a ROYAL pain if you have to insert a mag, drop the hammer, eject mag, and then holster...
I wondered about this when I shot an IDPA match but since none of mine have one, I forgot to ask :laugh:

WarMachine

Post by WarMachine » 07 Jun 2013, 09:55

Dah! So it was you in that video panzermk2 ... And you are owner/GS at Elite Ammo?

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 07 Jun 2013, 10:07

WarMachine wrote:Dah! So it was you in that video panzermk2 ... And you are owner/GS at Elite Ammo?
Yup, he's the owner/vice-president.

(His wife is actual president of EA no matter who has what title officially) :D

bobapunk
Gold Member
custom title: EA's range buddy

Post by bobapunk » 07 Jun 2013, 11:37

Rapier1772 wrote:
bobapunk wrote:B- "If you are done, show clear. Gun is clear, hammer down and holster" is a ROYAL pain if you have to insert a mag, drop the hammer, eject mag, and then holster...
I wondered about this when I shot an IDPA match but since none of mine have one, I forgot to ask :laugh:
Yeah, it can be done; but, the process is cumbersome and the whole squad will look at you funny...

Mister Freeze
custom title: 159.6

Post by Mister Freeze » 07 Jun 2013, 12:27

Shot a match with Blue and disabled that safety after the second stage. Been that way ever since. Tried it once before but thought that it made the trigger drag a litle, but I don't notice it now.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 10 Jul 2013, 20:39

Couldn't you cut the very tip off that engages the transfer bar, there-by disabling the mag safety, but retaining the downward tension on the mag?

Bazzer69
Silver Member
custom title: Erk of the first ord

Post by Bazzer69 » 10 Apr 2015, 20:15

I have a brand new 5.7 and I decided to remove the mag safety. Easy. But on the range today I discovered that I could not drop a empty mag with the slide back. The only way to reload was to release the slide, drop the empty mag, insert a new mag and finally manually cock the gun. As soon as I got home I put the spring back to the factory position. Am I the only one to experience this? Or did I do something wrong?
Bazzer

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 10 Apr 2015, 21:04

I'm thinking you did something wrong. My mag safety was removed during accurizing from Elite Ammunition and while it is not ejected anymore (as it was with the factory mag safety installation), it is not restrained in any way. The mag falls free due to gravity as soon as I hit the release.

Did you just move it or actually remove it? Moving it may cause binding somewhere.

Bazzer69
Silver Member

Post by Bazzer69 » 11 Apr 2015, 08:21

Rapier1772 wrote:I'm thinking you did something wrong. My mag safety was removed during accurizing from Elite Ammunition and while it is not ejected anymore (as it was with the factory mag safety installation), it is not restrained in any way. The mag falls free due to gravity as soon as I hit the release.

Did you just move it or actually remove it? Moving it may cause binding somewhere.
I just moved it into the position shown in the photo at the start of the thread. I'll put it there again and post a picture.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 11 Apr 2015, 10:22

Some of my mags were not drop free after removing the mag safety. The mag safety puts downward pressure on the mag. I re-enabled mine, and I believe EA has changed the way they remove the mag safety now.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 11 Apr 2015, 18:59

Buffman wrote:Some of my mags were not drop free after removing the mag safety. The mag safety puts downward pressure on the mag. I re-enabled mine, and I believe EA has changed the way they remove the mag safety now.

Bingo for this exact reason.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Bazzer69
Silver Member

Post by Bazzer69 » 11 Apr 2015, 19:13

panzermk2 wrote:
Buffman wrote:Some of my mags were not drop free after removing the mag safety. The mag safety puts downward pressure on the mag. I re-enabled mine, and I believe EA has changed the way they remove the mag safety now.

Bingo for this exact reason.

You going to let us in on the secret? Please.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 11 Apr 2015, 19:40

We retro fit that part your FsN during accurizing to that of the Tactical which did not have a magazine disconnect.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Bazzer69
Silver Member

Post by Bazzer69 » 11 Apr 2015, 19:45

panzermk2 wrote:We retro fit that part your FsN during accurizing to that of the Tactical which did not have a magazine disconnect.
I would love for you to accurize my 5.7, but I just can't afford it. But you will be hearing from me in a day or two ordering some reloading parts.
Thanks
Bazzer

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 11 Apr 2015, 20:02

I understand, trust me, the outlay for our new in house brass has sucked up all the capital for new stuff including reloading stuff.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Scardog7

Post by Scardog7 » 17 Jul 2015, 18:57

It's a simple fix.

The flat metal spring that blocks the trigger bar also acts as the mag release spring. It's the same piece that you moved up and out of the way. It needs to remain in its original location. But, just do one of two things, either, 1) remove it and shorten it by a small amount (approx 1/4" to 5/16") so that it no longer interferes with the trigger bar, or, 2) bend the tip up by a similar amount to clear the trigger bar. With the first option, you'll need to fully remove this piece.

Dangleesac215

Post by Dangleesac215 » 31 Jan 2017, 23:28

Using the link that someone dropped " http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/show ... stcount=49" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; " and some other sources i figured out as im sure everyone did that that "tension bar" holds down the trigger function to engage the magazine safety. If you take off the slide and pull the 'tension bar' upward slightly you will be able to pull the trigger. So i slowly worked the "tension bar" up until it no longer held the trigger function down to the point the magazine safety is engaged. Have absoloutely no noticable. difference no loose magazine like stated about no different trigger pulls no anything. The only thing i have noticed if at all is when the magazine is out it seems like the hammer droped the tiniest bit lighter. Barely noticable and im sure if i got back and work the metal a bit more that would go away but it shoots fine and ive noticed no effects from that.
I wouldnt recomend following the directions in the link because thats altering the workings way too much in my opinion.
I honestly wouldnt recomend doing what i did either because i have no idea the actual effects although i really do not think there are any other effects aside from disengaging that drop safety.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 01 Feb 2017, 14:08

Keep working the flat spring and your empty magazines will stop dropping out. That spring ejects them.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Toaster

Post by Toaster » 02 Feb 2017, 03:55

.. :ponder: