Removing the mag "safety"?

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

Bazzer69
Silver Member
custom title: Erk of the first ord

Re: Removing the mag "safety"?

Post by Bazzer69 » 10 Apr 2015, 20:15

I have a brand new 5.7 and I decided to remove the mag safety. Easy. But on the range today I discovered that I could not drop a empty mag with the slide back. The only way to reload was to release the slide, drop the empty mag, insert a new mag and finally manually cock the gun. As soon as I got home I put the spring back to the factory position. Am I the only one to experience this? Or did I do something wrong?
Bazzer

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 10 Apr 2015, 21:04

I'm thinking you did something wrong. My mag safety was removed during accurizing from Elite Ammunition and while it is not ejected anymore (as it was with the factory mag safety installation), it is not restrained in any way. The mag falls free due to gravity as soon as I hit the release.

Did you just move it or actually remove it? Moving it may cause binding somewhere.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

Bazzer69
Silver Member

Post by Bazzer69 » 11 Apr 2015, 08:21

Rapier1772 wrote:I'm thinking you did something wrong. My mag safety was removed during accurizing from Elite Ammunition and while it is not ejected anymore (as it was with the factory mag safety installation), it is not restrained in any way. The mag falls free due to gravity as soon as I hit the release.

Did you just move it or actually remove it? Moving it may cause binding somewhere.
I just moved it into the position shown in the photo at the start of the thread. I'll put it there again and post a picture.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 11 Apr 2015, 10:22

Some of my mags were not drop free after removing the mag safety. The mag safety puts downward pressure on the mag. I re-enabled mine, and I believe EA has changed the way they remove the mag safety now.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 11 Apr 2015, 18:59

Buffman wrote:Some of my mags were not drop free after removing the mag safety. The mag safety puts downward pressure on the mag. I re-enabled mine, and I believe EA has changed the way they remove the mag safety now.

Bingo for this exact reason.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Bazzer69
Silver Member

Post by Bazzer69 » 11 Apr 2015, 19:13

panzermk2 wrote:
Buffman wrote:Some of my mags were not drop free after removing the mag safety. The mag safety puts downward pressure on the mag. I re-enabled mine, and I believe EA has changed the way they remove the mag safety now.

Bingo for this exact reason.

You going to let us in on the secret? Please.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 11 Apr 2015, 19:40

We retro fit that part your FsN during accurizing to that of the Tactical which did not have a magazine disconnect.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Bazzer69
Silver Member

Post by Bazzer69 » 11 Apr 2015, 19:45

panzermk2 wrote:We retro fit that part your FsN during accurizing to that of the Tactical which did not have a magazine disconnect.
I would love for you to accurize my 5.7, but I just can't afford it. But you will be hearing from me in a day or two ordering some reloading parts.
Thanks
Bazzer

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 11 Apr 2015, 20:02

I understand, trust me, the outlay for our new in house brass has sucked up all the capital for new stuff including reloading stuff.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Scardog7

Post by Scardog7 » 17 Jul 2015, 18:57

It's a simple fix.

The flat metal spring that blocks the trigger bar also acts as the mag release spring. It's the same piece that you moved up and out of the way. It needs to remain in its original location. But, just do one of two things, either, 1) remove it and shorten it by a small amount (approx 1/4" to 5/16") so that it no longer interferes with the trigger bar, or, 2) bend the tip up by a similar amount to clear the trigger bar. With the first option, you'll need to fully remove this piece.

Dangleesac215

Post by Dangleesac215 » 31 Jan 2017, 23:28

Using the link that someone dropped " http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/show ... stcount=49" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; " and some other sources i figured out as im sure everyone did that that "tension bar" holds down the trigger function to engage the magazine safety. If you take off the slide and pull the 'tension bar' upward slightly you will be able to pull the trigger. So i slowly worked the "tension bar" up until it no longer held the trigger function down to the point the magazine safety is engaged. Have absoloutely no noticable. difference no loose magazine like stated about no different trigger pulls no anything. The only thing i have noticed if at all is when the magazine is out it seems like the hammer droped the tiniest bit lighter. Barely noticable and im sure if i got back and work the metal a bit more that would go away but it shoots fine and ive noticed no effects from that.
I wouldnt recomend following the directions in the link because thats altering the workings way too much in my opinion.
I honestly wouldnt recomend doing what i did either because i have no idea the actual effects although i really do not think there are any other effects aside from disengaging that drop safety.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 01 Feb 2017, 14:08

Keep working the flat spring and your empty magazines will stop dropping out. That spring ejects them.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Toaster

Post by Toaster » 02 Feb 2017, 03:55

.. :ponder: