FN FiveseveN Pistol Variants

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

jmz5
Site Admin
custom title: Proprietor

FN FiveseveN Pistol Variants

Post by jmz5 » 21 Aug 2008, 05:41

FiveseveN Pistol Variants

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions on this subject come up pretty often so hopefully this thread will help clear things up. Below are pictured and described all the versions of the Five-seveN yet released:

Versions

Five-seveN

This is the original Five-seveN variant. It has a DAO trigger and no safety device. It is no longer in production at all (nor was it never made available commercially), so it's extremely hard to find and may sell for over $3000. Note the old FN logo on the frame and the smaller, fixed sights.

Five-seveN Tactical

This is the second Five-seveN variant introduced. It is the same as the first, except for a single action trigger (as opposed to the original being DAO) and the addition of a safety device on both sides of the frame. The slide release on earlier Tactical pistols was dark and of a different shape. Early Tactical pistols also had a dark safety device as can be seen in the left picture given below. Also worth noting is that the Tactical variant, which was previously restricted to law enforcement/military, was briefly made available to individual officers (under the name IOM) with capacity reduced to ten rounds by epoxying in a block of plastic in the bottom of the stack, and with serial numbers from the new IOM range (3861xxxxx). These guns were allowed into the country and a few have actually made their way to the open market. You can tell an "IOM" Tactical from a military/law enforcement only Tactical by first, the serial number is in IOM format (3861xxxxx), not Tactical format (386Mxxxxx). Secondly, the serial is embedded in a metal strip above the accessory rail instead of silk-screened onto the frame above the grip. Finally, the newer Tactical/older IOM has adjustable rear sight whereas the LE/Military Tactical had small, fixed sights (see below pictures). Five-seveN Tactical pistols are becoming rare and may sell for over $2000.

Image___

Five-seveN IOM (Individual Officer Model)

The IOM variant is similiar in its basic design to the earlier Tactical variant, but differs in having an M1913 accessory rail, lined trigger-guard front strap, magazine disconnect ("magazine safety"), and taller, adjustable sights. It is only available in single action, similar to the earlier Tactical variant. The IOM is now discontinued and NIB usually sells for well over $1000.

Five-seveN USG (United States Government)

This is the most recent version of the Five-seveN. The USG keeps the features incorporated in the IOM, such as the magazine disconnect ("magazine safety"), single action trigger, and tall adjustable sights, but has some differences. These include a square (i.e. conventionally shaped) trigger-guard, checkered grip pattern, and a larger, reversible magazine release. There has been some confusion between the IOM and USG. Just remember once again that no matter what your user's documents call your Five-seveN, if it has the square trigger guard it is a USG. According to FN, the name mixup is due to the transition between the IOM and USG versions. USG pistols labeled "IOM" or "IOM USG" aren't any different than USG's labeled "USG". An average price for a USG is about $800.

FDE:

ODG:

-----

Specifications

Weight Empty.................. 1.4 lbs.
Weight Loaded................ 1.6 lbs.
Height.............................. 5.4 in.
Barrel Length................... 4.8 in.
O/A Length....................... 8.2 in.
Sight Radius..................... 6.9 in.
Max Gun Width................. 1.4 in.
Max Grip Thickness........... 1.2 in.
Max Grip Circumference.... 6.0 in.
Trigger Pull....................... 5.5 lbs.
Trigger Span..................... 2.9 in.

These specifications and dimensions apply to all of the Five-seveN variants currently available, with the exception of the trigger pull on the DAO Five-seveN variant being heavier at about 10-14 lbs. Please note that (despite the rumors going around) a Five-seveN compact variant is not being planned at this time.

Latest generation commonly referred to as the MKII

كاف

f3rr37
Site Admin

Re: FN FiveseveN Pistol Variants

Post by f3rr37 » 21 Aug 2008, 08:38

You forgot the IOM Prototype :)

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 21 Aug 2008, 09:13

It was added after I saved the text.
كاف

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 21 Aug 2008, 09:31

jmz5 wrote:It was added after I saved the text.
Google cache ftw, pictures are there too.

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:dA ... cd=2&gl=us

wolcottaj

Post by wolcottaj » 22 Aug 2008, 07:12

What is the difference with model the FN Five-seveN 5.7X28 DKERTN then the regular FN Five-seveN?
Thanks
Andy

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 22 Aug 2008, 08:53

I'm guessing you are referring to one of the new colors available for the Five-seveN. FN is offering the Five-seveN now in Black, ODG, and FDE.

Here is the FDE:

Here is the ODG:

wolcottaj

Post by wolcottaj » 22 Aug 2008, 09:20

Yes you are correct. The picture they have of it is black. But in the discription it is Dark Earth Tan. I read the discription but took for granted that the color was black :wall: . Thanks for your help.
Andy

amc31b

Post by amc31b » 25 Aug 2008, 00:02

Are there different verisons of specifically the black USG model as well? I notice in the pics above that the black USG has a safety with a smooth surface to it. My USG, which was purchased in march 2007 has horizontal ridges on the surface of the safety, I guess to make it more grippy for the finger operating it. The size and shape of the safety look identical but mine has the ridges on it... Does any one know why? :?:

ArtosDracon
Banned

Post by ArtosDracon » 25 Aug 2008, 00:09

I have a feeling it's just the picture, my FsN has the vertical ridges as well.

Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Post by Esteves » 25 Aug 2008, 00:10

They changed the controls to be more grippy. :D The older models don't have the ridges on the safety switch.
--
S
© 2005-2017 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

ArtosDracon
Banned

Post by ArtosDracon » 25 Aug 2008, 00:13

Good to know. I've been thinking of changing out my controls. I'll have to call Bob Ailes and see if they have any black controls available, just looks so pretty.

amc31b

Post by amc31b » 25 Aug 2008, 11:41

Sweet, I actually thought the USGs that had the ridges (like mine) were older. I guess FN needs to update the pics of the black USG on their website.

EARS

Post by EARS » 27 Aug 2008, 03:37

Mine has the ridges, I got my USG in Dec 2005. I have 11 ridges on either side of slide.
Last edited by EARS on 10 Sep 2008, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.

Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Post by Esteves » 09 Sep 2008, 21:33

There are some other variations
Here's a Tactical model with 12 dimples on each side of the slide rather than six and a somewhat sleeker slide cover.
I've also seen variations in the DAO model slide covers and controls.

Lastly, this photo of a USG with fixed sights (and called a Tactical) has been floating around for a while:
--
S
© 2005-2017 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Savior 6

Post by Savior 6 » 19 Sep 2008, 13:48

Too Many Versions: I'll never get caught up. :wall:

VITALIY

Post by VITALIY » 30 Sep 2008, 18:44

And there are HYBRID's like this one:

RamRod

Post by RamRod » 01 Oct 2008, 12:47

I have one of the DAO models, and was wondering if anyone here knew why the trigger pull on these suckers is so "darn" heavy? :ponder:

Cheers
Ramrod in Canada

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 01 Oct 2008, 14:37

Welcome to the forum, I don't have a DAO, but the trigger pull is heavy on them because they are double action. :)
كاف

RamRod

Post by RamRod » 02 Oct 2008, 01:58

jmz5 wrote:Welcome to the forum, I don't have a DAO, but the trigger pull is heavy on them because they are double action. :)
Well, I have a Sig226 that's double action as well, and the DAO feels like it's a 15lb pull and the Sig is about a 3.5lb pull. I was guessing is was part of the safety features, since it doesn't have a saftey.....

Thanks for the welcome, but I was around a bit on the old forum, and see most of the old gang is still here.

Savior 6

Post by Savior 6 » 06 Oct 2008, 10:39

RamRod, The original double-action for the Five-seveN was simply for safety as it was meant to be a military weapon. Your Sig may be a DAK version which is not a true DAO and has substantially lighter trigger than some of the older true DAO Sigs. The DAK can be compared to the LEM by HK that is essentially "pre-cocked".