FN 57 Magazines dissected ***added more pictures***

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Re: FN 57 Magazines dissected ***added more pictures***

Post by Esteves » 13 Sep 2009, 19:43

Augustus wrote:Hmmmm.... If one were to say... Buy ten CMMG extensions... Could one theoretically make a huge magazine that holds something like 100 rounds by training all of the extensions together, or do the extensions have a built in baseplate that would prevent this? (Of course you would need a huge spring to do this...)
CMMG intended to make the magazine extensions stackable - unfortunately what they produced doesn't actually stack. Personally - 30 is nice, but I'd rather have two 20s than a 40.

archive/index.php_t-1830.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
--
S
© 2005-2017 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Augustus

Post by Augustus » 13 Sep 2009, 21:08

Esteves wrote:CMMG intended to make the magazine extensions stackable - unfortunately what they produced doesn't actually stack. Personally - 30 is nice, but I'd rather have two 20s than a 40.

archive/index.php_t-1830.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hmm... They don't even stack just for looks...? I wonder why that is...

DAUG

Post by DAUG » 14 Sep 2009, 09:50

Wow, I likey this post!

Agree w/ 30 being more than enough for extended use. I see no practical purpose stacking to 100 rnds other than to have a walking stick for a gun.
EARTH FIRST! We'll pave the other planets later - 5Jeffro7

DarkWater

Post by DarkWater » 14 Sep 2009, 09:59

DAUG wrote:Wow, I likey this post!

Agree w/ 30 being more than enough for extended use. I see no practical purpose stacking to 100 rnds other than to have a walking stick for a gun.
oh come on, if you split two stacks, you could have a long bipod and 1Kr oudns to shoot :-)

lazi

Post by lazi » 01 Nov 2009, 11:30

Don't know how I missed this lost for this long. :huh:

The extensions are on my "to get" list. I think this postis gonna help out a good bit.

Thanks!!! :thumb:

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 01 Nov 2009, 11:58

I need to take a pick, but the recent batch of FN factory mags no longer have that small piece of metal in the mag body.

Here we go. Also the FN verbiage is no longer present. Also the number of small hole like indents have changed.

Side note the basis on these are a MF to remove. I installed EA extra power springs in all of the and I had to use channel lock pliers to compress the mag body enough to get the bases off.

and one for Justin

Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

fatherfoof

Post by fatherfoof » 01 Nov 2009, 14:57

You are a talented photographer. :thumb:
Please PM Me for LE/Military Access

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 08 Nov 2009, 19:39

I dont think any of my factory mags have FN verbiage on them.

Where can you buy the pro-mag units from? Or is direct from them the only option?

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 08 Nov 2009, 21:04

ew promags ewwwww

for as long as mags last w/ the EA springs, just do the right thing.

Vote Republican.

:laugh:
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

SeaHawkDriver-B
Location: Embarked on 2 acres of floating Soverign US Territory

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 11 Nov 2009, 16:29

For different weapons I've had bad results with ProMags, maybe they're better with the 5-7. At first I saw the ProMag extension and I was like "thats cool it matches", but after looking at it on the gun, it looks beyond stupid. I like the look of a mag extender, not the look of a gun thats WAYYY out of proportion.

Outlaw54

Post by Outlaw54 » 09 Jul 2010, 19:39

SeaHawkDriver-B wrote:For different weapons I've had bad results with ProMags, maybe they're better with the 5-7. At first I saw the ProMag extension and I was like "thats cool it matches", but after looking at it on the gun, it looks beyond stupid. I like the look of a mag extender, not the look of a gun thats WAYYY out of proportion.
I agree, but I hate to reload. I have a 6 pocket mag pouch that I keep 4 of the 30's in and 2 of the 20's with one 30 in the weapon. When I go to the range I blow off 180 rounds and the ProMags work as well as the 3 factory mags, I don't see and flashing or burrs at all. It looks like they are made to the same specs. Now if I can find them in Desert Earth, I would buy at least one!

variable

Post by variable » 17 Apr 2011, 10:27

Here is a photo of the rare original FN Tactical magazine without the magazine safety bump on the right side.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/ ... IM1676.jpg

Just an added photo for reference.

V
OUT

jsedwards25

Post by jsedwards25 » 02 May 2011, 18:21

What's the tolerance on the stock FN mag springs to stay compressed for long periods of time? If I were to load one to capacity and let it sit for an extended period of time (years) would it hold up and still perform?

I ask because when the P-Mags came out from Magpul, there was a lot of hype around the advantage of being able to load 'em up, cap 'em, and let 'em sit until retirement age (or the zombie apocalypse....whatever.) It's not really a *need*, more a curiosity.

Thanks!

ynoty3k
custom title: Hoplophile

Post by ynoty3k » 02 May 2011, 19:16

Holy zombie thread batman!

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 02 May 2011, 20:36

jsedwards25 wrote:What's the tolerance on the stock FN mag springs to stay compressed for long periods of time? If I were to load one to capacity and let it sit for an extended period of time (years) would it hold up and still perform?

I ask because when the P-Mags came out from Magpul, there was a lot of hype around the advantage of being able to load 'em up, cap 'em, and let 'em sit until retirement age (or the zombie apocalypse....whatever.) It's not really a *need*, more a curiosity.

Thanks!
This has been covered before.

It would be the same as the PMAG springs. As most springs. The repeated compressions matter more in wearing a spring down than the one time held compression.

That said, over time, compression of both PMAG springs and FsN and any mag springs will distort it.

Hope that helps.
Shoot more, worry less.

american lockpicker

Post by american lockpicker » 20 Jul 2011, 21:04

I've been after some of those "made in Belgium" mags for about a year now, any ideas on where to find 1-3 new ones?

jaker123

Post by jaker123 » 15 Aug 2011, 02:45

had all jams and not feeding problems with the factory Pro-Mag 30 after only 30 days, 30 rounds in it!!
maybe i need another spring in it or just throw it in the trash!!!

Valorius
Banned
custom title: 5.7 proponent

Post by Valorius » 07 Sep 2011, 15:33

From what i've read the only way you'll get the Promag to work is to use the FN mag body and follower, and the extended spring from the CMMG kit.

I took a 30rd CMMG apart today, and loaded it up to see how many rounds fit in the FN mag body before the follower extends down into CMMG extension, where there is the potential for the follower hanging up on the mag seams.

It's 27rds.

As long as you only load 27rds in the magazine, there is no possibility of the follower hanging up on the seams at all because the top of it never gets into the CMMG extension at all. :)

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 07 Sep 2011, 16:05

Valorius wrote:From what i've read the only way you'll get the Promag to work is to use the FN mag body and follower, and the extended spring from the CMMG kit.

I took a 30rd CMMG apart today, and loaded it up to see how many rounds fit in the FN mag body before the follower extends down into CMMG extension, where there is the potential for the follower hanging up on the mag seams.

It's 27rds.

As long as you only load 27rds in the magazine, there is no possibility of the follower hanging up on the seams at all because the top of it never gets into the CMMG extension at all. :)
VERY interesting. I will try this. Mine is smoothed down with fine-grit sandpaper, but will misfeed the 2nd or 3rd round and is not reliable for the first few. I think I'll try to get an EA extra-powered sling and see if it works. I only use the 30 rounder for competition so it's not a critical issue, as I'll just pick up 1.5-2 seconds on a reload.

Thanks for the info. Will let you know if it works.
Shoot more, worry less.

Valorius
Banned
custom title: 5.7 proponent

Post by Valorius » 07 Sep 2011, 16:41

I was hand cycling the weapon today over and over from 27rds to 20, and it appears to work perfectly (as logic dictates it should since the follower lip never reaches the problem seam area). I'll be going to the range within the next week and will test it extensively to make sure it's 100% reliable, but i am fully expecting it to work.

Elite sells an extra strength spring for the extended 30rd magazines?