FN 57 Magazines dissected ***added more pictures***

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Re: FN 57 Magazines dissected ***added more pictures***

Post by blueorison » 07 Sep 2011, 16:49

Just the 20 rounder extra power spring, which will work in the 30 rounder.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

acmeraptor

Post by acmeraptor » 12 Sep 2011, 09:14

Augustus wrote:Hmmmm.... If one were to say... Buy ten CMMG extensions... Could one theoretically make a huge magazine that holds something like 100 rounds by training all of the extensions together, or do the extensions have a built in baseplate that would prevent this? (Of course you would need a huge spring to do this...)
The CMMG extensions do not have built in baseplates, they use the one that comes with the FN mag. They do come with a replacement spring but as far as chaining them together to make 100rnd mags, no one has a spring that big and who wants a mag that when the gun is at eye level reaches down to your chest? :)

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 12 Sep 2011, 15:57

acmeraptor wrote:
Augustus wrote:Hmmmm.... If one were to say... Buy ten CMMG extensions... Could one theoretically make a huge magazine that holds something like 100 rounds by training all of the extensions together, or do the extensions have a built in baseplate that would prevent this? (Of course you would need a huge spring to do this...)
The CMMG extensions do not have built in baseplates, they use the one that comes with the FN mag. They do come with a replacement spring but as far as chaining them together to make 100rnd mags, no one has a spring that big and who wants a mag that when the gun is at eye level reaches down to your chest? :)
Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked, AC. People have done dumber things that they deem cool or, in their minds, applicable to some fantasy scenario in which they get attacked by a mob of monsters. In fact, there are many of the examples on this forum, sadly. Although not as frequent in percentage as other forums, it is still sad.
Shoot more, worry less.

SoCal Gunner
custom title: WTF

Post by SoCal Gunner » 12 Sep 2011, 19:51

Blue,

You're totally going to be eaten by a zombie.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 12 Sep 2011, 20:42

:(

Maybe I can throw my tactical friend in front of me, he likes to wear Level IV plates he bought. That should protect him, right?

If not, save me!
Shoot more, worry less.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 12 Sep 2011, 21:09

blueorison wrote::(

Maybe I can throw my tactical friend in front of me, he likes to wear Level IV plates he bought. That should protect him, right?

If not, save me!
You'd serve him to the zombies on a plate?

:facepalm: :p

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 12 Sep 2011, 21:27

PainKillaX wrote:
blueorison wrote::(

If not, save me!
You'd serve him to the zombies on a plate?

:facepalm: :p
Yeah, with no qualms. I mean, he probably fantasizes about zombies all the time and he has all the gear to protect him (skill?) in event of "SHTF" or "ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE", so I'd be doing him a favor by making his dreams come true, right?

Anyway, we should merge this thread with the other CMMG thread, and get back on topic.

We will be testing out a CMMG extension in two weeks.
Shoot more, worry less.

acmeraptor

Post by acmeraptor » 13 Sep 2011, 07:43

blueorison wrote: Anyway, we should merge this thread with the other CMMG thread, and get back on topic.

We will be testing out a CMMG extension in two weeks.
My bad, I didn't even notice the extra pages to this thread. :facepalm:

Why test, mine work fine!

sib1948

Post by sib1948 » 19 Sep 2011, 20:00

Got 2 Promag 30 round magazines this week and they worked well, but did not slide in and out or seat as easily as the FN mags. Purchased 2 sets of metal lip protectors from Elite Ammunition, but they have not yet arrived. The pictures of the various mags were awesome.

Mithridates

Post by Mithridates » 30 Nov 2011, 20:53

I just bought a new FIVESEVEN (can't deal with the capitalization thing), and noticed that my mags do not have the metal inserts, at least no metal is visible inside the magazine at the top. (I also noticed the earlier post that FN appears to be making them like this now.)

My question is if people have noticed any adverse consequences from this change, either with regard to the durability of the mags or reliability of feeding. As I recall, Glock tried using all-plastic magazines at first, then went to metal inserts. Surely there must have been a reason for this.

Also, I'm searching for a reason why there were 3 failures to feed on my new FN in the hundred rounds I put through it today (yes, blue-tipped factory ammo). The rounds wedged at an angle, point hung up on the chamber rim.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 30 Nov 2011, 22:08

Mithridates wrote:I just bought a new FIVESEVEN (can't deal with the capitalization thing), and noticed that my mags do not have the metal inserts, at least no metal is visible inside the magazine at the top. (I also noticed the earlier post that FN appears to be making them like this now.)

My question is if people have noticed any adverse consequences from this change, either with regard to the durability of the mags or reliability of feeding. As I recall, Glock tried using all-plastic magazines at first, then went to metal inserts. Surely there must have been a reason for this.

In correct. FNH has not changed how they make their mags recently and the steel is molded into the top lips of the magazine.

Mithridates wrote: Also, I'm searching for a reason why there were 3 failures to feed on my new FN in the hundred rounds I put through it today (yes, blue-tipped factory ammo). The rounds wedged at an angle, point hung up on the chamber rim.

New gun or crappy SS197 ammo.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Mithridates

Post by Mithridates » 01 Dec 2011, 14:47

panzermk2 wrote: In correct. FNH has not changed how they make their mags recently and the steel is molded into the top lips of the magazine.
I stand...er sit corrected. I took a closer look, and there is indeed some sheet metal molded into the magazine near the lips. The reason I didn't notice the metal is that it is matte black. In the pictures posted at the top of this thread, it looks like bare, silvery sheet metal. I'll see if I can figure out how to post pics to this forum.
panzermk2 wrote: New gun or crappy SS197 ammo.
It is indeed a brand new (not previously owned) gun. New factory SS197SR FN ammo, fresh out of the box. When you say "crappy SS197 ammo" do you mean that I may have gotten hold of a bad batch, or that SS197 ammo is all crap? (That would be bad news, as I just ordered 1K rounds of it...)

By the way, I picked up the notion that FN had eliminated the metal from the magazines from an old post of yours (which I perhaps misunderstood), dated Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:58 pm:
panzermk2 wrote: I need to take a pick, but the recent batch of FN factory mags no longer have that small piece of metal in the mag body.

Here we go. Also the FN verbiage is no longer present. Also the number of small hole like indents have changed.
Thanks for your reply!

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 01 Dec 2011, 15:06

I was referring to the spar of exposed metal at the back of the mag. This spar like a plastic model spar, holds the metal insert in place in the mold as the liquid polymer is injected into the mold.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 01 Dec 2011, 16:50

Mithridates wrote:I'll see if I can figure out how to post pics to this forum.
The "how to" for that is in my sig line.
Mithridates wrote:When you say "crappy SS197 ammo" do you mean that I may have gotten hold of a bad batch, or that SS197 ammo is all crap? (That would be bad news, as I just ordered 1K rounds of it...)
The 197 is anemic & made weak by FNH to appease the brady bunch peeps. EA's ammo makes better use of the capabilities of this round.
However, you shouldn't have any problems with using 197 once your FsN is broken in. I occasionally feed my FsN EA ammo & then but I primarily use 197s without any problems. I have even put EA's heavy duty recoil spring in mine & still have no problem with 197s.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

Valorius
Banned
custom title: 5.7 proponent

Post by Valorius » 09 Apr 2012, 03:52

Valorius wrote:I was hand cycling the weapon today over and over from 27rds to 20, and it appears to work perfectly (as logic dictates it should since the follower lip never reaches the problem seam area). I'll be going to the range within the next week and will test it extensively to make sure it's 100% reliable, but i am fully expecting it to work.

Elite sells an extra strength spring for the extended 30rd magazines?
I've tested the hell out of the technique of just using 27rds in the mag.

I actually load them to 27+1 in the gun, and 28 in all the spares. As long as the 28th round is chambered manually when you insert a fresh magazine it works perfectly.

I also tried loading them all to 30, even after shaving the seams, and i still had stoppages when they were fully loaded, so i will definitely be sticking with the downloading strategy.

I have 13x 30rd magazines, so i have a pretty good body of samples to work with and form a sound opinion on IMO.

Figured people might be interested in my results.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 09 Apr 2012, 13:19

Shoot more, worry less.

Airdog

Post by Airdog » 19 May 2012, 14:00

NEW MAGAZINE DESIGN AS OF LATE APRIL 2012.
FN has added a full length vertical rib inside the front of the magazine.

Arrows showing rib in the front of the magazine. Bottom of mag with bottom plate removed (left).

NRA Lifetime Member

bhs235

Post by bhs235 » 29 Aug 2013, 12:40

Just a headsup, I have the new mag type Airdog pictures above, as well as the CMMG extensions. So first I want to say the extensions seem nice, with good springs. I only just got them in this morning, and only using one full mag, now 30 rounds in each of my 3 magazines, they fed fairly well; AFTER some grinding down of the new rib Airdog makes note of in his post. Just grinding at the baseplate end so the spring has a ramp to hit the rib seemed to do the trick, although the rib does make the included spring have a tighter than intended fit up the rest of the new mag type. I had one mag feed perfectly fine, one had one doublefeed, the other two(this after grinding). I guess its possible to grind or cut down the entire rib, but hopefully I'll get them working with out doing so. This is really only a fun gun for me though, so I cant say I'm terribly concerned over the performance.

Dennis MacGyver

Post by Dennis MacGyver » 04 Sep 2013, 16:05

Since I travel, I wanted to have a couple of 10 round magazines be be compliant in certain states. So I bought a couple from a midwestern retailer. I thought they'd be made by FN, turned out to be Pro Mag (PM). My gun is new & the 3 original FN mag's that came with it are like the ones shown slightly before my post with the internal separator for the cartridge tips. The PM do not have this separator but the big problem, I have not live fired the PM's yet and see no reason to at this point, is inserting the mag into the gun. As soon as the mag contacts the mag release in the grip of the gun's magazine well, further insertion becomes increasingly difficult up to the point of locking into battery.

Then when you depress the mag release, the PM mag barely detaches, pops loose, from the gun and you must forcibly extract it from the magazine well of the gun.

I have e-mailed and phoned Pro Mag (twice) trying to speak with Tyler their mold engineer about what I see as the problem With these mag's. Both have a date code of 08-08. I don't know if this code is the manufacture date of the mag or the latest revision date of the mold.

I have contacted the retailer and asked them to hold back on selling these and their response seems to indicate they will. I prefer to work with Pro Mag to help them solve this problem but seeing I'm getting no response, I guess I'll have to send them back to the retailer as defective.

In review of the PM mag, the problem is the exterior width from the mag lock notches to the top where the cartridges are loaded into it. The angled surfaces in the aforementioned area are too wide and rub on the inside of the magazine well. The rest of the mag width towards the case portion of the cartridges seems fine.

It seems one person shortly before my post is experiencing the same problem as I am. The 10 and 20 round mags seem to use the same exterior housing, so the problem exists in both mag's.

Anyone else seen this issue with their PM mag's ??

Dennis

kismetcapitan

Post by kismetcapitan » 03 Jan 2014, 12:45

well, that's interesting. The Mk2 I just got a few days ago...the magazine in the pistol had the new magazine with the vertical rib, but the two extras - no rib. Hope that isn't important, and also a bit weird that the Mk2 is new, the design change was over a year ago, and I'd still get old style mags?

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 03 Jan 2014, 13:18

It's no biggie as long as they work, they are supposed to work in both models.

As with all production changes, some of the old style will be around for a while and remain in circulation. If I had to guess, they probably had the (old) spare mags in the case already, awaiting the switch over to the MkII. Then, once the new gun rolled out, they put in a new mag (probably also fresh from the production line), dropped it into the case, & shipped it out.

It's only a big deal if you're one of the OCD types who HAVE to have the same mags :laugh: Even then, you can probably just trade with someone to get all the same type.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

Handgunner

Post by Handgunner » 01 Mar 2014, 11:15

Hello
I am new to the forum but not FN products. I just picked up a new five-seven MKll. It goes nicely with my PS90 and FS2000.
My thoughts are about the mags. In the box I received one second gen mag with the ridge on the front lip running down the inside length of the mag. The ridge runs between the bullets. The other two mags do not have the ridge and are first gen mags. I called FN and a tech stated they are the same but for the ridge and work the same. The ridge was there to simplify production. He also stated they have a stockpile of the older style and just pick up mags to put in the pistol boxes. Dosen't make any diff in performance.
Anyone have any knowledge as to if one is more reliable than the other.
I know on mine the newer ridged one is more difficult to load with shells.
Thanks.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 01 Mar 2014, 23:36

Bullsh!t the mag lips break off on the old style. That is why the rib is there and why I make and sell lip protectors for the old style mags.

"simplify production" What utter BS. A whole new set of injection molds? New Body? New followers? New springs? ALL had to be redesigned. Too add rib INSIDE to "simplify production"
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Handgunner

Post by Handgunner » 02 Mar 2014, 00:13

Jay
Thanks for the info. I knew it was crap. But how does the ridge in the front prevent breakage of the lips in back?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 02 Mar 2014, 01:14

It is only the front lip that breaks. The main curved ones are steel reinforced. As you can see in this pic it's the front lip that the rounds are dragged across as they chamber is the breaking point. This mag's lips had broken and I installed our protector.

Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

bruteandbear1
custom title: CHICAGO BEARS!!!

Post by bruteandbear1 » 24 Mar 2014, 16:44

Thats funny all three of my magazines are the new style. I just got my mk2 about a month ago so maybe there stockpile ran out.

jimf5

Post by jimf5 » 28 Mar 2014, 14:20

Hi All:
I read this forum just about every other day, but don't post a lot. I saw an ad from CDNN about a month ago for the extensions from CMMG to make the mags 30 rounds for $9.95 and $4.95 shipping. I could not resist and bought 2 at this price. As I live in the desert about 45 miles away from Las Vegas it was a while before I could test them because of the wind here. Took them out last week and they performed flawlessly. Would recommend the for purchase.
jimf5
in Nevada

bruteandbear1
custom title: CHICAGO BEARS!!!

Post by bruteandbear1 » 01 Apr 2014, 10:16

Hey jim what magazines were hou using the gen 2 with the rib in the middle or the gen1 with no rib?

FNGuy

Post by FNGuy » 07 Jul 2014, 16:32

panzermk2 wrote:Bullsh!t the mag lips break off on the old style. That is why the rib is there and why I make and sell lip protectors for the old style mags. etc.
Is FN warranty'g the old style mags if the lip breaks off? :?:

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 08 Jul 2014, 14:20

FNGuy wrote:
panzermk2 wrote:Bullsh!t the mag lips break off on the old style. That is why the rib is there and why I make and sell lip protectors for the old style mags. etc.

NOPE and they refuse to sell just the magazine bodies.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

grimmond
Gold Member

Post by grimmond » 08 Jul 2014, 17:19

panzermk2 wrote:
FNGuy wrote:

NOPE and they refuse to sell just the magazine bodies.
Actually Jay they do warranty them if they break. This last year I had 2 break that I had not had the time to modify them with your kit yet. I called FNH and they had me mail them the mags. They sent me 2 of the new versions as replacements. It took about 3 weeks from start to finish.
"Let us never forget that good intelligence saves American lives and protects our freedom."
-Ronald Reagan

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 09 Jul 2014, 13:10

WOW in the past they would not. But then in the past they refused to acknowledge a problem.

I have about 20 sitting around with cracked feed lips I have not bothered to fix or throw out.

Who did you talk too?
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

FNGuy

Post by FNGuy » 12 Aug 2014, 11:06

bruteandbear1 wrote:Thats funny all three of my magazines are the new style. I just got my mk2 about a month ago so maybe there stockpile ran out.
X3. Just got a new Mk2 and all 3 mags were the new style. :)

PursuitSS

Post by PursuitSS » 06 Feb 2015, 20:23

I just took delivery of a new 5.7 and it came with one new style and two old style mags.

FNewbie

Post by FNewbie » 21 Jun 2017, 17:30

Really helpful thanks!

FNewbie

Post by FNewbie » 21 Jun 2017, 17:57

I would like to share a brand new clip i received from cheaperthandirt for my MKii. it's suppose to be an OEM, this clip looks different from all the ones posted and i also wanted to get some input on the space between the clip and the handle along with the separation down the middle when looking down the clip.
Thanks again!

PursuitSS

Post by PursuitSS » 21 Jun 2017, 18:44

Its the new style factory FN magazine

FNewbie

Post by FNewbie » 21 Jun 2017, 18:51

PursuitSS wrote:
21 Jun 2017, 18:44
I assume all clips fit all FN gens?

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 21 Jun 2017, 22:03

FNewbie wrote:
21 Jun 2017, 18:51
PursuitSS wrote:
No clips fit into the FsN platform, of any iteration.

But this magazine will work in all the ones that you will encounter.
Shoot more, worry less.

FNewbie

Post by FNewbie » 22 Jun 2017, 00:02

blueorison wrote:
21 Jun 2017, 22:03
FNewbie wrote:
21 Jun 2017, 18:51
PursuitSS wrote:
No clips fit into the FsN platform, of any iteration.

But this magazine will work in all the ones that you will encounter.
TY sir! :) all i needed to know i was a bit worried this was for an older gen or something.

Captiva

Post by Captiva » 27 Apr 2018, 13:41

Airdog wrote:
19 May 2012, 14:00
NEW MAGAZINE DESIGN AS OF LATE APRIL 2012.
FN has added a full length vertical rib inside the front of the magazine.

Arrows showing rib in the front of the magazine. Bottom of mag with bottom plate removed (left).

I hate photobucket

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 30 Apr 2018, 10:16

What picks do you need? I can reload them
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 30 Apr 2018, 10:17

Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

5Jeffro7

Post by 5Jeffro7 » 06 Feb 2019, 18:54

truth be told, I've not browsed the entire thread, but I'd like to add a little information that I just encountered:
yesterday, I picked up a MKII & the magazines that were included with it (20's) did NOT have the metal pin in them: I'm assuming this is one of the features of the so-called "new" style magazines?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 08 Feb 2019, 20:57

Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

snakedoc7

Post by snakedoc7 » 14 Feb 2019, 23:54

Great pictures of the comparison.
I wonder if anyone has ever attempted to make an after market mag follower?

I was looking at a orange 5th gen Glock mag the other day and got wondering that. I seen the gray one in the start of the thread but don't recall ever seeing any others.